Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Music Documentaries

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    This docu about Sparklehorse has been 3 years already in the making. Here is the latest trailer.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    here's an amazingly educational and thought-provoking documentary for all fans of "Krautrock"
    If you love Can, Neu, or Kraftwerk, you must watch this film.

Honestly though, if you really just like experimental music, especially early electronic music, you owe it to yourself to watch this.
    Also, history buffs take note
    Last edited by Jinsai; 03-08-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that Krautrock documentary last year. Oh, I love it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I like Touch the Sound - A Sound Journey with Evelyn Glennie.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I saw that Krautrock documentary last year. Oh, I love it.
    Yes, it's pretty incredible. I might actually watch it again now. It might be the best "music doc" I've ever watched.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    A lot of those BBC docs are great. I saw one on British progressive rock, 80s synth pop, and one on American Southern Rock that featured an interview with Mike Mills of R.E.M.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Music Documentaries

Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    I like Touch the Sound - A Sound Journey with Evelyn Glennie.

We own this and it is awesome.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    so if you were interested in getting that four hour long documentary about modular synthesizers "I Dream of Wires" pre-orders are about to end. The official final order date is April 30th. Not sure which time zone, but I just successfully ordered mine about 10 minutes ago.

http://idreamofwires.org/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Had a marathon today:

PJ20
    Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage
    Blur: No Distance Left to Run
    Oasis: Lord Dont Slow Me Down
    Placebo: Coming Up For Air

Its a good day

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ain't In It For My Health: A Film About Levon Helm is a god damned heartbreaker.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    here's an amazingly educational and thought-provoking documentary for all fans of "Krautrock"
    If you love Can, Neu, or Kraftwerk, you must watch this film.

Honestly though, if you really just like experimental music, especially early electronic music, you owe it to yourself to watch this.
    Also, history buffs take note

I loved this documentary, I'm a big fan of Neu and Kraftwerk. Also the I Dream Of Wires doc is fantastic.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

upside down- the creation records story was just added to netflix, and i just spent this snow day morning watching it. it's pretty darn good, lots of great soundbites, etc. my only complaint is that it's not as in depth as i was hoping, and barely touches on some of my personal favorite bands on the label (slowdive, medicine, felt, etc.). but it's still worth watching if you want an entertaining cliffs notes version of the label, with all the major events (oasis, jamc, mbv, primal scream) covered.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 01-03-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I just saw Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, and, as a closet rush geek, i was SO fucking thrilled to see that someone FINALLY fucking did a documentary about them. It was great to find out that so many contemporary musicians like Les Claypool (though i could have figured that one out from John the Fisherman,) Billy Corgan, Vinne Paul, and yes, even the Treznor...are rush geeks too!

PJ20 was fucking great, and awhile back, someone here turned me on to "Hit So Hard" as "a better documentary about that time period." It was fucking great too, it's about the drummer from Hole.

I loved the GG Allen doc, but i love watching train wrecks and insanity in general.

One i haven't seen mentioned here that WAS on netflix...not sure if it still is...is Levon Harris: Ain't in it for my Health. It's about a member of The Band. I am not overly familiar with The Band, but it was really cool to see how the old man lived his life all the way to the end...smokin' dope and making music.

If you're a Rush fan, the new Clockwork Angels concert movie is pretty fucking good, but be prepared to indulge them: they play damn near ALL of clockwork angels and with a string section. CA is, i guess, some kind of concept album, a fact that was lost on me even though i own it.

I'm sure all of you have seen Closure, but if you haven't, make SURE you watch that shit.

What is "the little wayne doc" you guys are referring to?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Motor City's Burning - Detroit from Motown to the Stooges, BBC Documentary

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Has someone watched the documentary Good Copy Bad Copy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Copy_Bad_Copy ?

Recently I got interested in Girl Talk's music (it's amazing) and reading about him, I found out about his involvement in that movie. I also read that he used to be a biochemical engineer, and I'm an engineer as well. Maybe I should quit my job and launch my DJ career?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    The documentary about The National, "Mistaken for Strangers" is pretty brilliant. Even if you hate the band, the movie is fascinating.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Twisted Sister doc on Netflix is really good. It didn't make me a convert, but I liked how it just trails their roots up until the minute they hit the big time.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    +4 for Ministry's Fix

Roger Waters' The Wall is amazing.

For a good laugh at mid 80's metal try and check out Heavy Metal Parking Lot. Here's a fairly recent follow up article for those that are interested:
    https://www.google.com/amp/theconcou...1758026762/amp

As for NIN, I never cared for Closure. The two concert DVD's/BRD were awesome though, with BYIT being one of the great concert-only docs. It got a lot of praise at the time for the audio/video technical mumbo jumbo.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally View Post
    It Might Get Loud was cool to watch. Jimmy Page, the Edge & Jack White
    Yes, great doc.

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I can't believe no one's mentioned Metallica's Some Kind of Monster. I am indifferent about Metallica, and I couldn't have cared less about this documentary, but I caught it by accident and I was riveted! It was like a real live This Is Spinal Tap.
    Yes! I stumbled upon it on Netflix this summer and I was also riveted. It was a surprising and refreshing take on the band in a specific moment in time. I’d never been a big fan but I decided to see them live after watching this doc and loved the concert.

The Punk Singer is fantastic and my current favorite. Kathleen Hanna and riot grrrl. Also like 20 Feet From Stardom.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I want to add George Michael: Freedom as I think it's a fitting piece of work on the man himself which was the last thing he was doing before his death.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Depeche Mode documentary series that came out with the remastered records years ago are really interesting. Bits of studio footage, live stuff, and you get to hear everyone's thoughts on each album and the events surrounding them. A few of them are on youtube, like this one for Black Celebration:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anybody watching the Wu-Tang documentary on Showtime? Watched the first episode last night and can't wait to watch the rest.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    New Liam Gallagher doc

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Pretty damn good...