Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson - Born Villain

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I always thought the chorus of 'Disassociative' ('i can never get out of here...i don't wanna just float in fear.') ripped off Wings' track 'Band on The Run'

The riff at 1:18 and especially when Paul comes in at 1:47 or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ahhhhh, I see and yes I do actually remember reading that on a Manson forum before but had forgotten till just now. That is actually pretty cool and pretty insignificant really. I mean... Bowie's Life On Mars was just stolen from an Elvis song and a lot of Bowie's early songs were just rip-offs and I bet a lot of his newer material has things "borrowed" too. It's something ALL artists do, really, it's almost impossible for the brain not to do, I think, it often happens on a subconscious level.

Trent did it with "A Warm Place" vs. David Bowie's "Crystal Japan", too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    trent made manson....dont forget

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I will never forget that.

I will never forget how much more talented Trent is, either.. Musically, that is... Lyrically?

Well... Manson has come up with some really strong lyrical material in the past, and I guess it could be argued that even his latest material has a bit more depth to it than Trent's later lyrical work(I don't necessarily agree but I think it could be argued). Manson studied journalism so he has always been more of a poet and vocalist than a multi-instrumentalist.

So it's really different things, I guess, hard to explain, but Manson has always been, I think, more about the image and message and energy carried in the whole shebang than any unbelievable musical talent like Trent has. Trent is like trained in classical piano or whatever the fuck. He will ALWAYS be a much more impressive musician than many others out there. But I just think music is to be enjoyed in many different ways and it's okay to like something like Nine Inch Nails and Britney Spears at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    He reminds me a lot of Al Jourgensen. A drunk mess who hasn't had a good album in years, and burnt many bridges. Those two guys had a skill to surround themselves with super talented people until they finally got pissed and left. The well's dry now. If Manson were to clean up his act, it could probably be a different story, but he won't. Jourgensen's a lost cause altogether.
    What if Manson and Jourgenson teamed up? It would be like looking in a mirror and maybe both of them could simultaneously realize that theres a difference between being an insufferable asshole and creatively expressing justified anger at a world that is void of fairness and sanity? Probably won`t happen though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    holy shit,...perfect statements!.. but where is the music now from tr? no rage anymore. i agree with you 100% all the way down to your britney spears... but where is the nin? mm made something with the music and the lyrics finally.

lyrically you say, i know right.
    Last edited by nimh; 04-07-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babali View Post
    Manson studied journalism so he has always been more of a poet
    Well, that's enough convulsive vomiting for me for one night... I'll check back in later and read the rest of your post.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Waiting sucks. I ordered 2 copies. But, with Japan getting it on 25th- it is for sure done and maybe still in duplication houses. Amazon confirms product is in warehouses... So 17 days until Japan... It should be out there by now. It probably is. Damn mega upload and that situation.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    what's this? Has it leaked already?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That clip has been around since April 2011... at marilynmanson.com...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Ah ok, haven't seen it or even heard it as of now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, that's enough convulsive vomiting for me for one night... I'll check back in later and read the rest of your post.
    Haha, are you trolling? Manson has always been all about his writing... his book is full of his early poems that were crafted in to his first songs. He has never been much of a song-writer/multi-instrumentalist.If you just want to be rude and troll, that's fine, but I'd appreciate it if you actually put some thought into your reply next time.

And do you not agree with Trent being a much much more talented musician on all levels(Except Manson possibly being better at his earlier lyrics)? That's basically all I had said up to that point, that Trent is an actual talented musician and artist and Manson just writes. What sick blasphemy!!!!
    Last edited by Babali; 04-07-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Bowie's Life On Mars was just stolen from an Elvis song
    I'm sorry to derail the thread from the pathetic Trent v Manson bullshit (is it 2000 again?) but that statement is 100% incorrect.
    Life on Mars was an English language interpretation of a french song, but before he could release it the rights tot he french song were bought by Paul Anka and rewritten into 'My Way' by Frank Sinatra.

And just to add to the stupid 'Manson is a poet' topic, yes he had some clever lyrics back in the day, and even sometimes today - but to act like he is some sort of 'great' lyric writer is just for lack of a better term, wrong.

When compared with Nick Cave, Bowie, MJK, Tori Amos, Leonard Cohen, PJ Harvey etc he is juvenile at best.

I really like Manson and am happy to debate his ability to make a great album (whether BV turns out to be that album or not) but Trent V Manson and 'Manson is a great lyricist' is something best saved for Manson forums... here in the real world these comparisons don't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    First off, I said I disagree Manson is a better lyricist, just that it could be argued that his earlier work was probably deeper than Trents. Compare the lyrics of Dope Hat to Something I Can Never Have. Manson has always been more about the WRITING. Maybe "poet" was a bad word choice but, like I said, it's hard to explain. You listen to NIN for one reason and Manson for a totally different reason is what I was trying to say, and that they're both fine in their respective areas, but it is true that Manson has gotten a lot worse.

And it might be the Frank Sinatra song I'm thinking of but I thought that Frank's song was before Life On Mars. It says on Wikipedia it was in 1969 and that Life On Mars was recorded in 1971? That would mean Bowie copied it. But I don't know all the background of it.

You seem to love to throw in the subtle "stupid" and "dumb" insults that are not respectful, I am not a dumb person.

By the way, it's fine if you want to talk rudely like that, I'm just pointing it out because it's ridiculous and I don't understand why so many people on the internet feel they have to be rude and can't just talk normal without taking jabs.
    Last edited by Babali; 04-07-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In case anyone is interested, there is a weird torrent on the pirate bay with ACS demos (and astonishing panorama of the endtimes demo), it sounds like Manson for sure, but I really cannot tell if they are legit or not. The music is kind of bad sounding. haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah those were leaked a while ago and they were pretty interesting. I think that one of the Spooky Kids put them out? Like maybe it was the guitar player or something but it is more Portrait-y sounding.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    It was daisy Berkowitz

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trent did it with "A Warm Place" vs. David Bowie's "Crystal Japan", too.
    So that's what that song was.

They played a bunch of Bowie stuff on the speakers pre show during the Downward Spiral tour. There was something that sounded an awful lot like A Warm Place. I'd always wondered what it was. Now I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah those were leaked a while ago and they were pretty interesting. I think that one of the Spooky Kids put them out? Like maybe it was the guitar player or something but it is more Portrait-y sounding.
    Ah, right on. I hadn't seen them before, so I wasn't sure if it was a new leak or something. Kind of sounded like stuff not many people would have access to if they were all real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    RE VIDEO: kinda wish he'd tone back on the makeup/clothing, and just keep it simple. it's really not working with his current looks.
    he has a bit of a nick cave vibe happening in the family room scenes, which looks far more badass/creepy than the caked on joker makeup and those fucking ridiculous bulky-ass jackets he insists on wearing everywhere now

don't know who his stylist has been post holywood/goag, but they're fucking awful
    Last edited by antiskum; 04-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Manson has always recycled other people's stuff disassociative's chorus ripped off McCartney. Vodevil with Bowie. I could go on.
    could you please go on? i'd love to hear more examples, i find stuff like this interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by harrismonkey View Post
    So that's what that song was.

They played a bunch of Bowie stuff on the speakers pre show during the Downward Spiral tour. There was something that sounded an awful lot like A Warm Place. I'd always wondered what it was. Now I know.
    This interview with Bowie and Trent talks about it:

The songs are basically identical but I like Crystal Japan more.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    My favorite rip-off (as in- the closest to original):
    Lamb of God (Radiohead - Climbing up the Walls)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also really like that one too. I always just see it as paying respect to an artist or song you love. I have done it with songs I've written, I've heard it done in so much music. I've rarely ever heard an interpretation or rip-off that didn't sound unique and different in some ways to the artist doing it.

And one of my favorite albums(by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez), Cryptomnesia, which is: "Cryptomnesia occurs when a forgotten memory returns without its being recognised as such by the subject, who believes it is something new and original."

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    MAR1LYN MAN5ON
    LIVE ON EASTER SUNDAY

Inauguration of the Mechanical Christ
    and The Reflecting God

Easter Eggs Made Out of Crack Rocks!!!

Bunny Ears @ 0:30
    Teh Hotness @ 2:15

Doggy-Style Bunny-Fuck @ 5:05
    Take Off Your Tops for Jesus @ 6:00

\m/ \m/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So they still haven't found a way to limit font size for certain members I take it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait...So Did it leak???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justinthehomo View Post
    Wait...So Did it leak???
    Wut ?
    Born Villain?
    I think no & i prefer wait it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    So they still haven't found a way to limit font size for certain members I take it.
    Oh lord, pull the bug out of your butt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    Wut ?
    Born Villain?
    I think no & i prefer wait it
    I don't care to wait at all. I mean why? Today or then I 'd rather hear it sooner than later.