Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Coil

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Coil

Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I didn't see the point in picking it (them) up because I still own the two standalone CDs they released for the russian market like 20 years back. I remember it being a huge deal at the time because this was long before the Backwards stuff had seen any kind of official release, so AYOR and A Cold Cell were highly sought after amongst the community..

It's great that it's widely-available for a new generation again, but it reeks of a cash grab. They could have at least made it available on vinyl for the first time ever..
    Search harder. It already was reissued on vinyl two years ago:

https://feelee.bandcamp.com/merch/co...a-hair-of-gold

The Cold Spring reissue is a cash grab of this exact compilation because they’re salty about Dais getting that MTPITD cash. The compilations were already on Spotify already (and still are)
    Last edited by tricil; 10-25-2020 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Wrong “they’re”

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Search harder. It already was reissued on vinyl two years ago:

https://feelee.bandcamp.com/merch/co...a-hair-of-gold

The Cold Spring reissue is a cash grab of this exact compilation because they’re salty about Dais getting that MTPITD cash. The compilations were already on Spotify already (and still are)
    I remember that (and then promptly forgot about it) getting roundly outed as a bootleg years ago on the Coil social media pages, so no thanks. $100 for 4 LPs? You go ahead and waste your money on it..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I remember that (and then promptly forgot about it) getting roundly outed as a bootleg years ago on the Coil social media pages, so no thanks. $100 for 4 LPs? You go ahead and waste your money on it..
    I don’t care. I have the CD’s from 2001.

You were the one who wanted it pressed “for the first time ever.”

It’s not even a bootleg either, Feelee was the original label who put this out, unlike cold spring.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Oh, very well. I amended my original post, hopefully to your satisfaction..

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Arrived!

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Arrived!
    Hey, why are your lights turned on??? :P

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Got mine as well. I like that they emphasized the moon with spot varnish(?), but why the hell is it two LPs in a single pocket? A week longer in transit and it probably would have arrived with ringwear.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just a note that the download code provided copies are not *all* 24 bit, despite their filenames

Code:
    Input #0, mp3, from 'A1 Are You Shivering_ V2 (24bit) 1.mp3':
      Metadata:
        title           : A1 Are You Shivering_ V2 (24bit) 1
        iTunPGAP        : 0
        encoded_by      : iTunes 12.9.5.5
        iTunNORM        :  00000689 0000053B 00003CE8 00003AFB 0005D700 0005D700 00007B9C 00007B9C 00058FC6 00054E29
        iTunSMPB        :  00000000 00000210 00000B30 0000000001839940 00000000 00D2E3C2 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
      Duration: 00:09:36.08, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 192 kb/s
        Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
    Actually that doesn't say it isnt 24 bit. But that's a low bitrate for 24 bit. The WAVs look ok.
    Last edited by jmtd; 11-28-2020 at 07:14 AM. Reason: bah

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Just a note that the download code provided copies are not *all* 24 bit, despite their filenames

Code:
    Input #0, mp3, from 'A1 Are You Shivering_ V2 (24bit) 1.mp3':
      Metadata:
        title           : A1 Are You Shivering_ V2 (24bit) 1
        iTunPGAP        : 0
        encoded_by      : iTunes 12.9.5.5
        iTunNORM        :  00000689 0000053B 00003CE8 00003AFB 0005D700 0005D700 00007B9C 00007B9C 00058FC6 00054E29
        iTunSMPB        :  00000000 00000210 00000B30 0000000001839940 00000000 00D2E3C2 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
      Duration: 00:09:36.08, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 192 kb/s
        Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
    Actually that doesn't say it isnt 24 bit. But that's a low bitrate for 24 bit. The WAVs look ok.
    thanks for the heads up! i'll download the WAVs and convert them myself!

looking forward to actually opening mine and listening to it. wonder how my new baby will react to COIL being their first vinyl experience haha

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    MP3s aren't 24bit. That's just in the filenames because they're converted from the WAVs. No need to test anything.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    It’s perfectly possible to get 24 bit MP3s so it’s confusing to name them as such when they aren’t. Except they actually are. Just low bit rate ones. Oh, and it’s fairly unusual I think to get 44.1kHz sample rate paired with 24 bit. Both the WAVs and the MP3s are that too. The bleep FLACs are 16/44.1.

In this drew interview https://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing...nd-materiality

They mention that both volumes of MTPITD have been redone

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Sorry to be a stickler here, but that just isn't true. The MP3 format does not have bit depth because of the way it stores data; decoders either have a fixed depth or a user-chosen one that is used during re-quantization (more here). So there is no such thing as a 24bit MP3, or 16bit, or any other value, just whatever the decoder uses for re-quantization on playback. 24/44.1 is also a super common delivery format on sites like HDtracks, so I'm not sure why that would be considered unusual.

I think I had read somewhere previously that MTPITD2 was slated from the beginning like 1, but would be released later. It was probably on the Coil FB group.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Just listened to the new vinyl - nice pressing, sounds great!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Sorry to be a stickler here, but that just isn't true. The MP3 format does not have bit depth because of the way it stores data; decoders either have a fixed depth or a user-chosen one that is used during re-quantization (more here). So there is no such thing as a 24bit MP3, or 16bit, or any other value, just whatever the decoder uses for re-quantization on playback. 24/44.1 is also a super common delivery format on sites like HDtracks, so I'm not sure why that would be considered unusual.
    No need to apologise. I appreciate being educated. I'm really surprised, but TIL! As or 24/44.1: I can only speak from what I've seen or experienced. I don't buy much HD music so I haven't seen it on sites like HDTracks. It must be much more common than my limited sample suggests, which (looking at it now) is heavily weighted by TR&AR/NIN releases: lots of 24/48, some 24/96, but no 24/44.1.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’d Never listened to “strange birds” properly before, and I’m struck by just how similar the bird box soundtrack is in style. very interesting piece

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Flippin’ ‘eck
    https://infinitefog.bandcamp.com/alb...ersary-edition

LSD triple lp March 2021

Deluxe offering is a literal box

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Flippin’ ‘eck

LSD triple lp March 2021

OMFG. This makes the box of Colour Sound Oblivion look like a toy.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    One opportunity opened another with Danny Hyde.

Uncoiled begat Recoiled begat Backwards begat Swanyard begat that new single

the Gay Man’s Guide had NASA Arab and Omlagous Garfungiloops as bonus tracks, which begat Stolen and Contaminated Songs

I guaranfuckintee that Stolen and Contaminated open the door to a questionable reissue of Love’s Secret Domain soon enough.
    Hi. I called this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Flippin’ ‘eck

LSD triple lp March 2021

Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    OMFG. This makes the box of Colour Sound Oblivion look like a toy.
    guess i missed out on the super deluxe. how limited was it? how much was it? pretty bummed, even though i know i shouldn't spend the money right now.

Hi. I called this.
    what do you think, in terms of its validity, and what the sound quality is going to be? i default to your opinion on all things COIL these days, so i trust you to tell me. is it worth getting?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    guess i missed out on the super deluxe. how limited was it? how much was it? pretty bummed, even though i know i shouldn't spend the money right now.

what do you think, in terms of its validity, and what the sound quality is going to be? i default to your opinion on all things COIL these days, so i trust you to tell me. is it worth getting?
    Whoa that’s a high honor.

Honestly, I’d wait on this one. Maybe something more legit will come around. In the meantime, I’m still digging MTPITD!

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    I picked up the Threshold House release of LSD in 2001 or so, and was glad to have it on disc finally. Everything I've heard about Infinite Fog vinyl releases is discouraging, same with their mastering choices - and as far as unreleased demos goes, I did manage to grab the Threshold House Archives pack that had LSD stuff in it, and those CDs are a gluttony of demos, almost to a fault.

Anyhow - don't hold me to this, but I suspect that another release by a company that's licensed the material before may be worth the wait.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Whoa that’s a high honor.

Honestly, I’d wait on this one. Maybe something more legit will come around. In the meantime, I’m still digging MTPITD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I picked up the Threshold House release of LSD in 2001 or so, and was glad to have it on disc finally. Everything I've heard about Infinite Fog vinyl releases is discouraging, same with their mastering choices - and as far as unreleased demos goes, I did manage to grab the Threshold House Archives pack that had LSD stuff in it, and those CDs are a gluttony of demos, almost to a fault.

Anyhow - don't hold me to this, but I suspect that another release by a company that's licensed the material before may be worth the wait.
    thanks, y'all.

out of curiosity, i went to the infinite fog website to see if the shipping charge would be less than that on bandcamp...and when i hit "checkout" it said order complete. i hadn't even put in payment data. and then i got an e-mail about 10 minutes later (in all lowercase...as if i have any right to criticize that haha) telling me they'd get back to me with an invoice. i was like "i just wanted to see how much shipping would be, i didn't expect it to just put my order through" so i really hope i'm not now committed to buying a copy of this :/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    thanks, y'all.

out of curiosity, i went to the infinite fog website to see if the shipping charge would be less than that on bandcamp...and when i hit "checkout" it said order complete. i hadn't even put in payment data. and then i got an e-mail about 10 minutes later (in all lowercase...as if i have any right to criticize that haha) telling me they'd get back to me with an invoice. i was like "i just wanted to see how much shipping would be, i didn't expect it to just put my order through" so i really hope i'm not now committed to buying a copy of this :/
    Just don’t pay lol

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    From memory it was 135 euro. The description is still there the item has just moved to the bottom

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    From memory it was 135 euro. The description is still there the item has just moved to the bottom
    yeah once it's sold out it doesn't tell you the price any more; a rare gripe i have with bandcamp.

finally had a chance to listen to this the other day. a little sad the colorway didn't end up the way it was supposed to look (with a moon in the middle, not 2/3 of a moon at each end) and the white parts are a little noisy, but otherwise it was fantastic. the remastering was done with care, and i'm so glad to finally own it on vinyl. now bring on part 2!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing the pic, it's really pretty. I love your globe lamp too. I thought it was a moon on first glance but is it the earth?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ok i can finally talk about what i've been working on for the last year: In my capacity with WaxTrax! i've been project managing the 30th Anniversary release of Love's Secret Domain with Stephen Thrower. Josh Bonati did the remastering from multiple original sources, releasing on June 20, 2021 (Summer Solstice.)

Happy Winter Solstice

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Cool! That’s listed on the infinite fog Bandcamp right? We aren’t looking at two competing 30th anniversary reissues are we?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Cool! That’s listed on the infinite fog Bandcamp right? We aren’t looking at two competing 30th anniversary reissues are we?
    We are looking at two competing 30th anniversary reissues. One is going to have extra tracks by a label that's historically done a pretty poor job on remastering old audio, the other is being done in conjunction with a member of the band, is (as I read on Facebook) remastered from analog masters, with a label that retained a lot of primary material from the first time they licensed the album back in the 90s - and fookin' @vav has been involved. Everything to me indicates that the Wax Trax release will be the one to get - if you had to choose one or the other.

You don't have to choose!

I will say though, the album artwork on the Infinite Fog Bandcamp page for LSD is very high quality. Seems like they may actually have license to use the original artwork - not sure if it's new photography, or just a really good scan of the original photography.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    imagine what one could do if one had, say, the original painting.