Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Underworld

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Shot in the dark, but did anyone here purchase the Barking deluxe box and digitize it? I recently discovered that my rip of CD2/alternate versions has somehow disappeared, and naturally my physical copy is currently buried in my storage unit. If anyone would be willing to share, I'd be grateful and then some

(Also happy to share my proof of purchase if that's a concern. Amazed I could find that receipt from a decade ago, but things I really need from the last 3 months still elude me, heh)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I think underworld’s “drift” project kinda bombed because it’s not a traditional album, which is a shame because there are some true BANGERS on there

Or did it?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Drift has some AWESOME stuff on it. I listen to it regularly. the Drift Selections vinyl sounds great too!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I think underworld’s “drift” project kinda bombed because it’s not a traditional album, which is a shame because there are some true BANGERS on there

Or did it?
    I guess it depends how one defines “bombed”. Clearly they’re preaching to the converted at this point in their career, but my not at all scientific read was that the fanbase seemed to appreciate it quite a bit (heck, I bought both versions of the box set and revisit it regularly). As with anything so sprawling, there’s a bit of bloat, but I’d take more vs. less from them given the stylistic breadth.

I would have zero complaints about a Drift 2 at some point, but maybe first they can get around to rescheduling their U.S. tour. I was so disappointed when those pre-covid dates were nixed outright rather than being postponed.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post

Or did it?
    I think it depends on how you define success and bombing. Did it sell like a traditional album? No 8-disc behemoth would. Nor the 1-disc sampler. I don't think they were under any illusions as to how it would sell. And actually, the box set sold out faster than they were expecting, which is why the reissued it later in the smaller form factor.

Did it serve as a capper for an experiment and a new way of producing and releasing new material? Yes, it that regard, it was a success. Based on the interviews, R+K seemed rather pleased with how it went, and were eager to continue with Drift Series 2. It seems clear that the pandemic put kinks into their plans though. We won't really find out until they start releasing again though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roolfdriht View Post
    I guess it depends how one defines “bombed”. Clearly they’re preaching to the converted at this point in their career
    Bucking the trend perhaps, but I'm a relatively recent convert. I guess, I am not clearly defining what success for Drift would look like. I haven't seen the songs turn up elsewhere or people rave about them, but I guess they're stacked up against established tracks which will only ever grow in status. Kinda similar to NIN stuff. Perhaps my expectations are unrealistic. Anyway, I'm still trying to ingest it, but there are some really great tracks in there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Did it serve as a capper for an experiment and a new way of producing and releasing new material? Yes, it that regard, it was a success. Based on the interviews, R+K seemed rather pleased with how it went, and were eager to continue with Drift Series 2. It seems clear that the pandemic put kinks into their plans though. We won't really find out until they start releasing again though.
    That's good news. Here's hoping.

Thanks folks for your input!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    https://store.underworldlive.com/pro...y-weight-vinyl

And I Will Kiss / Caliban's Dream 12'' Heavy-Weight Vinyl

£25

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    just had dubnobass on vinyl delivered. been hunting for it for a while. refused to spend 200 bucks. turntable lab randomly had a few copies for 55 bucks or so. so I grabbed it.

sounds epic. (dirty)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    New album I guess likely (if not confirmed? I haven’t seen it so) since two singles have dropped so far (the colour red, Denver luna).

2024 tour announced on Wednesday, GA sale for most of those was today. I’m going to Manchester!