Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin Peaks - Spoilers

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Re-watched the first episode and then the second episode. Couldn't help myself.

The scenes with modern-day Cooper in the Black Lodge were absolutely spellbinding. I'm guessing Danzig Cooper is in some way the evil doppleganger version that was chasing him around 25 years prior?

It was also excellent to see Balthazar Getty, who played Pete in Lost Highway, sitting at the bar with Jean Renault hanging out behind him. Chromatics did a bang-up job bringing the Bang Bang Bar into 21st century, too..

(And speaking of Lost Highway: http://www.avclub.com/article/lost-h...stereos-254610)
    jaques, not jean. and i'm confused, becauase he's dead.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    Also does anyone agree that Michael Cera acted more like Dick's son rather than Andy's?
    Also also, does anyone agree that he sounded more like Kumail Nanjiani than Marlon Brando?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I love how connected this show is to the actors and actresses from Seinfeld. Every episode is "Whattt, Mr. Pitt! Whattt Mr. AND Mrs. Ross?" Just another great aspect to point out about this show. Just started the second season last night.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Hellllloooooo!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So I just finished up Secret History, and good GOD, I couldn't fucking believe that stuff about Parsons and Thelema and LRH.
    For the record, it has occurred to me that some supernatural phenomena will eventually be explained by quantum mechanics; in fact, I believe that I brought it up a couple of years ago in our "have you seen a ghost" thread.

Those of you who read the book, do you realize how much of the stuff in the book was true or at least claimed by some people to be true?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Both are dead. The Wikipedia page lists Jean as the only returning Renault brother, but attributes him to the wrong actor.

Michael Parks, who played Jean during the original run, died in real life two weeks ago.

Maybe it's all part of the mystery..
    This new character is actually credited as Jean-Michel, so I guess he's playing a third brother or cousin or something.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Mr. Jackpots is the best name i can think of for a pet. it would work for any pet. i just want to get a new pet so i can name it Mr. Jackpots.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    we were watching on an AppleTV and when i checked episode one via the on demand option, it definitely was spitting out 5.1, even during the showtime bumper at the beginning. weird that it wouldn't on the fire stick :/

also, in case anyone didn't know, i wrote a song that was heavily inspired by Twin Peaks and is on the album i put out last august - https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/track/the-black-lodge
    Are you positive you were getting 5.1 on your Apple TV? I sent an email to Showtime regarding the issue and this was their response, no mention of it working on any devices:
    Thank you for contacting us about SHOWTIME ANYTIME! Rest assured we are here to help. At this time, there have been no announcements about a release date to make SHOWTIME ANYTIME available with Dolby Digital 5.1. Your comments have been forwarded to the appropriate parties at SHOWTIME for consideration for future updates. Thanks again for reaching out to us and please continue enjoying our app as we continue to improve and expand it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Are you positive you were getting 5.1 on your Apple TV? I sent an email to Showtime regarding the issue and this was their response, no mention of it working on any devices:
    yeah, i keep my receiver in "straight" mode so it decodes whatever is sent to it (i.e. if it's only getting stereo, it spits out stereo; if it gets 5.1, it spits out 5.1) and when we re-watched episodes 1 & 2 and watched 3 & 4, all "on demand" it was definitely in 5.1. the rear left speaker is right near where i sit and i was getting plenty out of it. plus the compression issues i had with the stereo stream were completely gone, so that was a big plus.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yeah, i keep my receiver in "straight" mode so it decodes whatever is sent to it (i.e. if it's only getting stereo, it spits out stereo; if it gets 5.1, it spits out 5.1) and when we re-watched episodes 1 & 2 and watched 3 & 4, all "on demand" it was definitely in 5.1. the rear left speaker is right near where i sit and i was getting plenty out of it. plus the compression issues i had with the stereo stream were completely gone, so that was a big plus.
    Very strange. I even sent a follow up asking if there was any way to watch with 5.1 apart from on cable TV and this was their response:
    At this time SHOWTIME shows cannot be streamed view Dolby Digital 5.1 on our apps. We hope this information helps as we value you greatly as a customer here at SHOWTIME.
    Guess I'll just have to deal with it for now.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Getting the kid from Looper to play the son was inspired (if not a little handy, he was just coming off the CBS show with Halle Berry) casting.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just a silly question: I am not *expected* to understand what on earth is going on, right? OK. Enjoying it anyway. :-)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Just a silly question: I am not *expected* to understand what on earth is going on, right? OK. Enjoying it anyway. :-)
    First Lynch experience?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    have you watched the original two seasons and the film?

i mean, even if you have, you may not understand what's going on, but such is being a fan of david lynch.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    something i found:

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Dear God did you guys hear the accusations Michael J Anderson made against David Lynch?
    I'm not generally into gossip, but this is just too fucking crazy not to bring up.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-25-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's what I was alluding to earlier when I said he wasn't exactly stable.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was alluding to earlier when I said he wasn't exactly stable.
    maybe he's just bitter

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    maybe he's just bitter
    Ayup.

http://www.tv3.ie/xpose/article/ente...nt-goes-public

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That's awful.

On a more positive note, Lynch received a standing ovation at it's premiere at the Cannes Film Festival tonight.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    That's awful.
    On a more positive note, Lynch received a standing ovation at it's premiere at the Cannes Film Festival tonight.
    Yeah lol, TR retweeted that. Note that he didn't received ovation for the nin video he made

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So I'm utterly thrilled with the new Twin Peaks and am already desperately hoping for another season.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Dear God did you guys hear the accusations Michael J Anderson made against David Lynch?
    I'm not generally into gossip, but this is just too fucking crazy not to bring up.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    You can tell Lynch inserted some "Fuck you guys" in the story:

- "This is the evolution of the arm"

-"Hello, i would like to see Sheriff Truman
    - Which one?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    You can tell Lynch inserted some "Fuck you guys" in the story:

- "This is the evolution of the arm"

-"Hello, i would like to see Sheriff Truman
    - Which one?
    yeah, I have a funny feeling that ontkean wanted more money than he was offered as well

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    yeah, I have a funny feeling that ontkean wanted more money than he was offered as well
    I like the actor that does the "new Truman", but he's too old!
    I know it's 25 years later; but this guy looks in it's 70's; and Ontkean wasn't that old in the original series.
    My only complaint, so far the series has kicked ass!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Is it wrong that I'm already hoping MacLachlan gets an Emmy nomination for this? We've seen such an incredible range of emotions, personalities, mannerisms and affectations so early on and it's all been uniquely believable and genuine, all the while relying very little on his dialogue to get his performance across.

If the rest is as good as the first four episodes, this is going to probably be my favorite thing from everybody involved, and that is saying an enormous amount. It feels like Lynch poured everything he's ever had into this, and it's wonderful.

I'm also fully expecting that as the season goes on and the story naturally dives back deeper into Twin Peaks, we'll see more and more of that "classic" feel come back -- it's earning it, rather than starting out as a nostalgia-fest. I'm very impressed by it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Did anybody else absolutely lose it when they saw Naomi Watts? I fangasmed all over the place.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Michael Ontkean is living happily off the grid in Hawaii, last anyone heard. Pretty sure he retired awhile back and just wants to be left alone..

It makes perfect sense that Naomi Watts and Balthazar Getty would be involved in this. According to Lynch, Lost Highway takes place in the same universe as Twin Peaks, while the foundation of Mulholland Drive was based as a spin-off of the Audrey Horne character. Not to mention the stylistic flourishes of Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway are all over this season so far...
    Except Ontkean was publicly looking for his old Truman jacket; this made me think he was planning on doing the show at first.
    Who knows?

Regarding the bit about Watts and Getty, I agree. This doesn't feel like JUST a Twin Peaks "revival" to me. Rather, it feels like a continuation of most of Lynch's work, and it's insanely generous. It's a once in a lifetime treat for a David Lynch aficionado. I don't even have the right words to express how much I'm loving it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I like the actor that does the "new Truman", but he's too old!
    I know it's 25 years later; but this guy looks in it's 70's; and Ontkean wasn't that old in the original series.
    My only complaint, so far the series has kicked ass!
    he's playing harry's older brother, frank, not actually replacing harry.

finally spun this yesterday after owning it for months (wanted to wait until we had re-watched the film). as much as i like the music from the show, this blows it away (at least the season 1 soundtrack that got released). it really stands on its own as a strong soundtrack.