Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'd only want a sequel if it was totally unrelated to the events of the first two and explored more of the world in it (and even then, I'm good -- Blade Runner gave us enough of the streets to let us imagine anything happening in them and 2049 gave us enough of the outer wastelands to let us imagine whatever might be going on beyond them and I'm more than content with that). Explore the themes, have it be about a Replicant, sure, but don't ruin the Deckard/K storylines by pushing them too far. There was an ambiguity and sense of mystery somehow maintained through to the very end and in the wrong hands it'd be destroyed very quickly. A sequel to Blade Runner not only being good but being amazing without stepping on the legacy of the first one at all was an impossible magic act that was somehow pulled off, and I don't want to see someone attempt it yet again. There was already a one in a million chance of this film being as good as it was.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Am I the only one, or was everyone else pleased with Jared Leto's performance? Say what you will about the dude's music or reputation (30 STM's BEST album was their first, and after that it's all hit or miss at best), but for how relatively little screen time or presence he had in the story, I thought he did a fine job.

I also like that there wasn't some big final explosion-filled fight with him in the climax or anything. Or that we didn't have actual scenes of the "war" between replicants and humans. The made the revolutionaries' presence known, and Wallace did his evil shit, but it leaves more to the imagination about how those threads can be concluded. Shit, if the next chapter of Blade Runner is just MORE occasional shorts from amazing directors (LOVE YOU SHINICHIRO!) or something of the like, handled VERY delicately, I'd absolutely be down for more world- and lore-building. But hey, time will tell. So far, this Blade Runner revival is looking like it has the potential to be another cult classic. I only hope that the people in charge of handling the franchise know when it's time to close the curtain. Like everyone's saying, the odds of THIS being a success were near impossible. Maybe it's best not to push it.

That being said, if the third film drops when I'm near 60, I'll happily watch it on the chip implanted in my brain to simulate movie theaters.

Edit: Thinking about it, if they had replaced Deckard and Rachael with completely new characters, or just alter any things that tie it to the first film (save for a cameo/reference or two?), this one probably still would've been able to stand on its own as a new Blade Runner installment. In that case, I would've been more open to/believe in a third film that doesn't involve them either, and instead focuses on a third new story that merely builds on the steps of the previous two. But seeing as we still had several main threads stemming directly from the first film, despite "resolving" some of them, I am inclined to think a third film would still involve those characters to sooome degree. It would just feel weird to have them involved with 2/3 of a trilogy of films. ^^'

I would want it all to end at three though, no doubt. If it has to be more than two, only three.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 10-14-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just back from seeing it in 2D IMAX. Wow. Might see it again in 2 weeks on a regular screen (local charity cinema). I thought it was great.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Am I the only one, or was everyone else pleased with Jared Leto's performance? Say what you will about the dude's music or reputation (30 STM's BEST album was their first, and after that it's all hit or miss at best), but for how relatively little screen time or presence he had in the story, I thought he did a fine job.
    Get out of my head, lol.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The absolute highest compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't feel at all like a sequel as sequels generally are. It feels like a genuine continuation of the original story. I'll go as far as to say it accomplished exactly what Twin Peaks did, albeit in another format. New life breathed into a legend, which stands on it's own yet also makes it's origin shine even brighter.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Am I the only one, or was everyone else pleased with Jared Leto's performance? Say what you will about the dude's music or reputation[...] I thought he did a fine job.
    Eh, I expected it to be bad and got about what I expected. Other than that, I liked the film and I'm glad I didn't just sit it out on his account.

Thinking about it, if they had replaced Deckard and Rachael with completely new characters, or just alter any things that tie it to the first film (save for a cameo/reference or two?), this one probably still would've been able to stand on its own as a new Blade Runner installment.
    This I can agree with; it felt very little like a direct sequel except for the occasional subtle nods to scenography/environment of the original.

The 3D was fine (although still too damn dark) and I even dug the 4D effects in our theatre, haha. Strobe lights! Moving seats! Smoke machine! REAL RAIN LOLOLOL

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This is not about 2049, but today I bought the Blade Runner Final Cut 4K Blu-Ray, doesn't matter I don't have the TV or player yet. :-) The reviews (avforums) were good and I was in the shop because of Curve CD replacement, so while I'm still here, gimme one of these.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    That moment when Spoiler: the scene shifts from the campfire sparks to the city lights...I guffawed with glee!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    This is not about 2049, but today I bought the Blade Runner Final Cut 4K Blu-Ray, doesn't matter I don't have the TV or player yet. :-) The reviews (avforums) were good and I was in the shop because of Curve CD replacement, so while I'm still here, gimme one of these.
    I've been considering picking this up. I don't plan to get a UHD player for a long time, but the digital 4k copy should play on my Mac, I think, and I'm very curious to see it on 4k. Although the digital copy would be a stream so I'd be subject to broadband not falling over to actually watch it. I'd much prefer a 4k rip but shrug

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    4K Blu-ray releases also come with a regular Blu-ray disc of the movie

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The movie looks great, the direction is great and the music is good; the script is whatever, not bad but nothing awesome; i did liked it but i think it's a bit overrated.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    That moment when Spoiler: the scene shifts from the campfire sparks to the city lights...I guffawed with glee!
    although not directly related, your post reminded of another little thing that is getting no love: Lennie James small role at the orphanage! That was a nice surprise.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Trying to find a review specifically of the original movie 4k deluxe boxed edition, and I'm failing but the search throws up THIS THREAD

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Trying to find a review specifically of the original movie 4k deluxe boxed edition, and I'm failing but the search throws up THIS THREAD
    Did you spot this one?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Did you spot this one?
    Thanks, I have read that one, but that's not the edition I'm talking about, that's this one. The movie is exactly the same, but there's a booklet in the linked set, and I'm trying to find out whether it's a sub/super or disjoint set of stuff from the wee booklet I got in my '07-era DVD boxed set and whether to quadruple-dip to update or not.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Saw this last night in IMAX, really fucking good. Very impressive and immersive movie.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, I was thinking "in LA, was also somebody else reminded of the Southern Oracle from The Neverending Story, one of my favourite movies of all time"...? (in my language it was called "Sandonoriko") And indeed, I am not alone, and maybe my feeling was onto something because there are also unicorns and other interesting stuff: https://steemit.com/movies/@dailybit...erending-story - this is not exactly about Blade Runner, sorry if off-topic, but there is some depth to both of these movies for me.

Also, The Sound Design Of Blade Runner 2049:
    http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...e-runner-2049/
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-21-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wow. Amazing. One of the few sequels that is as good as the original.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sequels as good as, or better than the original:

The Godfather II
    Superman II
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Bladerunner 2049

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

The Godfather II
    Superman II
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Bladerunner 2049
    See also: Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Thanks, I have read that one, but that's not the edition I'm talking about, that's this one. The movie is exactly the same, but there's a booklet in the linked set, and I'm trying to find out whether it's a sub/super or disjoint set of stuff from the wee booklet I got in my '07-era DVD boxed set and whether to quadruple-dip to update or not.
    I haven't given up on looking either, since I'm also interested. The most I was able to find was this blurb:

"...and an exclusive art book with behind-the-scenes photos, production art, sketches and storyboards."

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

The Godfather II
    Superman II
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Bladerunner 2049
    Come on...Terminator 2!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I haven't given up on looking either, since I'm also interested. The most I was able to find was this blurb:

"...and an exclusive art book with behind-the-scenes photos, production art, sketches and storyboards."
    I'm feeling pretty flush for unknown reasons so I might just spring for it. If I do I'll photo up the booklet and my '07 one and put both sets up for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Come on...Terminator 2!
    Yep. And Aliens, anyone?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Come on, there are tons of great sequels out there. Die Hard 2, some of Rocky sequels, many Bond films, Clerks II, Mad Max 2 & FR, Fast Five, TDK, Evil Dead 2-3, etc etc etc.
    Why is it that every time a new non-shitty sequel appears it gets inaugurated to the same hights as T2/Aliens/Godfather II is beyond me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Come on, there are tons of great sequels out there. Die Hard 2, some of Rocky sequels, many Bond films, Clerks II, Mad Max 2 & FR, Fast Five, TDK, Evil Dead 2-3, etc etc etc.
    Why is it that every time a new non-shitty sequel appears it gets inaugurated to the same hights as T2/Aliens/Godfather II is beyond me.
    The original Rocky was the best.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Sinatra hologram made me smile.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really have to see this now. I'm a huge fan of Harrison and Ryan.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    See also: Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey
    No way, man. Bogus Journey was fun but the original was much better, and the sequel loses points for having a Slaughter song played so prominently.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Because for every Godfather II we get a Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Saw it three times now. Still loving it.

Minor nitpick: Spoiler: When Niander plays Deckard a recording of his first time meeting Rachael it kind of made it look like they fell in love on first sight back in 2019. Which going back to the first movie they clearly weren't... with him being incredibly rude to her and all.