Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Korn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Heard the new single....what I don't understand is that if they made such a big deal of head coming back, why make this the first release from the new album? Maybe it was the label's decision? But damn....this isn't much of a departure from The Path of Totality. Korn sounds more produced and polished than they ever have....not in a good way. It sounds really fake. Does that make sense? Very disappointing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    bit of a teaser for the new video, Love and Meth

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    And my opinion strays further towards "what the fuck?"... Time to put it down. The name may be profitable, but they can't release good albums anymore. Some bands just need to admit it's over. Korn is one of them. Certain bands and genres really have a certain life expectancy. Korn's way past that now. And it's apparent that Head coming back makes no difference.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    https://www.facebook.com/david.r.silveria?fref=ts
    an interesting read (scroll down for david's long post)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interesting stuff for sure, especially considering i really stopped listening to Korn after Issues. That record really felt like it was being pulled in all sorts of different directions, and the band definitely lost its groove after that.

That and I was old enough to realize Nu Metal sucked anyways.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I like Issues. Untouchables was the beginning of the end for me. They've been in a rut ever since then. I'm sure the new one will have a couple decent ones though. They always do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    IMO, Take Another Look in the Mirror was Korn's best record. It did not chart near as well as the first 3, but it really seemed like they went back to that raw sound that was missing from FTL, Issues and Untouchables. To be honest, I liked pretty much everything they did up until TALITM but after that they seemed to really fall off. Don't get me wrong, they had some decent songs after that but nothing more than that.

With that said, I'll really liking this new song. I know (for a fact) that I would have hated it if I heard it back when I was 14 and first got into Korn so maybe it is because I am getting older, but it has a nice vibe to it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fraser View Post
    IMO, Take Another Look in the Mirror was Korn's best record. It did not chart near as well as the first 3, but it really seemed like they went back to that raw sound that was missing from FTL, Issues and Untouchables. To be honest, I liked pretty much everything they did up until TALITM but after that they seemed to really fall off. Don't get me wrong, they had some decent songs after that but nothing more than that.

With that said, I'll really liking this new song. I know (for a fact) that I would have hated it if I heard it back when I was 14 and first got into Korn so maybe it is because I am getting older, but it has a nice vibe to it.
    No, I agree. Take A Look In The Mirror was my first Korn album and it was the last great effort they've done since their relevancy and 90's heyday. I never liked Untouchables and the albums that followed Mirror have paled in comparison. See You On The Other Side and Untitled have some great tracks and artwork but something was and is missing on those albums. Everything else after Untitled has fallen flat and rather meh.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    SYOTOS is easily my least favorite of the lot. Way too overproduced and commercial. Untitled was much, much better than that one AND Remember Who You Are.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I could care less about whether or not they're nu-metal. It means nothing, and it's just a label that people tack on. For me, it either sucks or it doesn't. I'm not worried what genre they are. More concerned on the shit they keep shoveling out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My main gripe are bands promoting albums one way, and the album ending up being the total opposite of that. Korn have been guilty of this since Untouchables.

Untouchables - "this is our heaviest album. Pure death metal". Nope. I'll never forget the online backlash that happened there. And remembering how the leak was longer and better than the official release. That's another story though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    My main gripe are bands promoting albums one way, and the album ending up being the total opposite of that. Korn have been guilty of this since Untouchables.

Untouchables - "this is our heaviest album. Pure death metal". Nope. I'll never forget the online backlash that happened there. And remembering how the leak was longer and better than the official release. That's another story though...
    I remember that album leaked 4-5 months before it actually came out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It seems like they've billed every album since Untouchables as going back to their roots.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Korn

Quote Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
    It seems like they've billed every album since Untouchables as going back to their roots.
    Nah, only twice (so far). Take a Look in the Mirror and Remember Who You Are are their "back to basics" albums. I imagine, that when the new one ends up being a flop as well, they'll go back to basics, again. Maybe the third time's a charm.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Nah, only twice (so far). Take a Look in the Mirror and Remember Who You Are are their "back to basics" albums. I imagine, that when the new one ends up being a flop as well, they'll go back to basics, again. Maybe the third time's a charm.
    Maybe David will come back (if they allow him to), kick out all the producers, and start writing good albums again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://loudwire.com/heads-korner-kor...unky-jonathan/

Contains a clip from Love & Meth. Sounds waaaay better than Never Never. Has an Untouchables vibe to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    thanks for posting the clip.
    The track at the beginning of the interview sounds good too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I actually enjoyed that interview.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Much better. They really need to get away from their pop structured songs though. It gets repetitive to always hear verse/chorus/verse. Especially when you're "not" a pop band. It's like they write the choruses first, then build around them. The choruses are probably their weak points. Everything else is usually fine (sorta). That's the case with this song.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That song isn't bad in its entirety.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Ugh. I just watched this out of curiosity...I wish I hadn't.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Korn

Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    Ugh. I just watched this out of curiosity...I wish I hadn't.
    Yeah, it's pretty bad...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Never Never has grown on me, but I still hate the bridge of the song.
    That is actually the thing I fell Korn has lacked in the past 4-5 albums is there bridges are terrible, just when a song gets going they ruin it. Or it loses the hook of the song.
    Lets face it, even though korn have never been the most complicated band, they use to write a great catchy, riff based song. Now it seems like they can't put a single full song together that does that.
    Love and Meth is pretty cool though, I like the drums a lot.
    Also the video for Never Never is kind of cool, just it is nothing great either.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I don't think this was posted here before, but it mentions Jonathan Davis claiming that he knew Never Never was going to piss a lot of people off.

http://www.theprp.com/2013/08/27/new...eaks-on-detox/
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-16-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd say that too if I were him... Like someone would actually put out a single to purposely alienate their fanbase. Missed out on that type of marketing strategy.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    It's not the worst song ever, but it's still pretty bad. What it is is a slap in the face to old school Korn fans who thought that having Head back in band would bring some of the old school heavy back. It's Korn going "nah-ah," Korn still chasing new and fickle fans, still aching for that radio hit that never comes.

I guess it was obvious all along that's why Don "Linkin Park" Gilmore was brought on board. I guess it was also obvious that returning to their roots (Korn III) was an even worse idea than going dubstep. Anyway, judgement reserved until the album's out, and the rest of the album is a little heavier as the band hints at and second single Love & Death suggests: I'm hoping there are at least a couple of good songs on there. Korn III didn't really have any, but the dubstep one did (the Skrillex collabs and Fuels the Comedy).

Incredible how different Korn and Deftones' trajectory has been: they started in a similar place; Korn is now widely regarded as a joke of metal, a Motley Crue for our times, Deftones are critical darlings, legends, hugely respected and revered.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post

Incredible how different Korn and Deftones' trajectory has been: they started in a similar place; Korn is now widely regarded as a joke of metal, a Motley Crue for our times, Deftones are critical darlings, legends, hugely respected and revered.
    Having come of age during the rise, reign and fall of nu metal its funny to think how all these bands progressed. Deftones are the only ones that escaped unscathed.... maybe incubus if you can stomach their friendly brand of tampon commercial rock. It always felt like Korn believed the hype of "you guys invented a new genre" and never bothered to get any better at their instruments or their arrangements. Now look at them.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Linkin Park, System of a Down, Disturbed, Slipknot: all these guys have done great, career-wise.
    Deftones evolved organically, broadening their sound gradually to span influences from the soft and electronic (The Smiths, Radiohead) to the heavy (Meshuggah, Isis).
    Korn dropped members, hired ill-fitting producers, made clumsy stylistic shifts from one album to the other, lost their identity by diversifying too far and too wide. As Deftones spawned community with the whole post-metal scene (Tool, Isis, Pelican), Korn isolated themselves even further, narcissistically cannibalizing their own sound.
    Where Deftones' music sounds rife with possibility, well-connected with everyone from Mogwai to Mike Patton to Muse, Korn sound like some obsolete throwback, on their own and endlessly stuck on repeat.
    Sadly, JD seems cluelessly unaware of all this.