Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Nick Cave Thread

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    ^ ^Haha, yes! When the show started, we were seven rows back, dead center of the stage. It wasn't too long before Nick asked the people near the front to remove their seats (the show was sold as reserved seating) so he could get closer to the audience. Next thing you know, people were politely folding their chairs and passing back to the person behind them. We managed to be two heads back from the stage the rest of the show.

Dude is like a caged tiger on stage.

Also, Warren fucking Ellis!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yes indeed. This was @orestes ' and I's view. An absolutely amazing one at that. I had no idea he was looking right at me when I took this picture and kinda lost my breath a bit after the show once I discovered this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I can't wait to see this.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    We showed that a few weeks back at the movie theater I work at and the crowd reaction (attended by all die hard Nick Cave fans) was split pretty down the middle. Had a couple of people who walked out after half an hour wanting a refund, another guy who's a huge fan hated it claiming it "demystifies everything cool about Nick Cave". Still haven't gotten a chance to watch it myself, but I found it surprising that people weren't walking out of the theater head over heels for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Just wanted to share the excitement of my Nick Cave weekend!

Saturday I'm seeing him perform live in Austin.
    Sunday I'm seeing the documentary 20,000 Days on Earth
    Sunday, right after the doc I'm headed to see his Austin City Limits taping! My friend won tickets to the drawing and is taking me. This is the same friend who also won for NIN's ACL taping and took me to that too.

I feel incredibly lucky/fortunate right now.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Bought a scalper ticket for Saturday's show under face value and ended up winning the draw for the taping on Sunday. I never thought I'd b able to see them live in high school, and now I'll be seeing them four times in the span of a year.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Bought a scalper ticket for Saturday's show under face value and ended up winning the draw for the taping on Sunday. I never thought I'd b able to see them live in high school, and now I'll be seeing them four times in the span of a year.
    Thats un fuckin real, man. I don't think I'd ever be able to comprehend seeing Nick Cave four times.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm at four shows myself (total, dating back to 2003)... i wish i could go to the prospect park show next saturday but we're out of town. at least the setlist on this leg is nearly identical to last year's shows at beacon...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I've returned from my Nick Cave weekend, and man, what a weekend!

Saturday night's show was INCREDIBLE. He was so energized and on that it was ridiculous. Lots of fantastic crowd interaction and a set with enough variation from last year's Dallas show to make it exciting. I especially loved hearing "West Country Girl," "The Ship Song," and "Do You Love Me." The majority of the time I just felt in awe of his presence and the band's performance. It was a healthy 19 song set: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nick-c...x-bc119b2.html

20,000 Days on Earth is a beautiful, non-traditional doc. I love the way the stories flowed, and that it didn't flow in a boring, linear timeline of his life, more like how his every day life brings up memories of significant moments in his life. And of course the great footage of recording 'Push the Sky Away.' I recommend this film to everyone, even people who aren't huge fans, because you probably will be by the time it's through.

The ACL taping was weird. A lot of the crowd on the floor seemed really weird/noncomittal/lacking energy and there were some obnoxious people near the stage that Nick Cave almost seemed to go out of his way to avoid. Like this big bro-looking dude who shouted at a few inappropriate times. Cave is a performer that feeds off the crowd's energy. If it's a bad/apathetic crowd, then it seems like the performance is a little less. The top balcony area had many empty seats, or people who got the tix for free and could care less, leaving halfway through, and even some people who left during all the swearing in "Stagger Lee."

Cave even seemed annoyed at times. He said with a wry grin, "This song is called "Mermaids," and it won't be on the broadcast, because I use the word snatch." After the Warren's violin solo in "God Is In The House," the crowd erupted in an excessive amount of cheers, which made Cave just sit down in a chair and not continue the song and he pointed to Warren and said, "Warren Ellis everybody," and further cheers erupted. Once it died down he went back to the piano and continued the song. During "Stagger Lee," the camera got really close to him while he was trying to interact with the crowd and he actually shoved it away. He also on several occasions called people in the seats/balcony "lazy fuckers" and kept encouraging people to come down to the floor, to no avail.

They ended their regular set with "Push The Sky Away," which seems standard on this tour, and people were cheering for an encore, and at first instruments were being set up, then all of a sudden a guy came onstage making a slashing at his throat motion, saying "nope." And the houselights went up, leaving everyone a little confused, but we all shuffled out anyway. Here's the shortened setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nick-c...-4bc1138a.html I can't help but think he didn't come back for the encore because he wasn't feeling the crowd. After all, NIN played the ACL taping and still did a full, lengthy set.

Now, this isn't to say he didn't give a good performance. He still put TONS of energy into the show and the band was great too. Any Nick Cave show is still miles above the majority of other bands, but when you witness such a transcendental show like the one the previous night, it's hard not to notice when something's amiss, causing a great show instead of a stellar show.

@Kid-Charlemagne, how was your experience with these shows?
    Last edited by The Doctor; 07-23-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Got a bit confused here
    Last edited by WorzelG; 08-06-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Tired confusion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Sean Bean just did an AMA with a pretty funny and short story about getting drunk with Nick Cave
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...ds_ama/cjhq1yp
    Erm... Nic Cage.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManOfAtom View Post
    Erm... Nic Cage.
    I'd been reading a lot about Nick Cave and erm, well just saw the name as that,

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    new US pressings of pretty much every album on vinyl are coming out starting this month!

didn't see no more shall we part, nocturama, or lazarus as part of the reissues, for some reason.

i pre-ordered "the firstborn is dead", "your funeral, my trial...", "tender prey", "the good son", "henry's dream", "let love in", "murder ballads", and "the boatman's call", as well as the (unfortunately pricey) import of "abattoir blues/the lyre of orpheus". goodbye $225 >.<

i don't care as much for "from her to eternity" or "kicking against the pricks" but the collector in me will probably force me to get them eventually. i own all of the cd/dvd versions of all of the albums except the boatman's call.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    new US pressings of pretty much every album on vinyl are coming out starting this month!

didn't see no more shall we part, nocturama, or lazarus as part of the reissues, for some reason.
    These seem to be available on his site. http://shop.nickcave.com/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    These seem to be available on his site. http://shop.nickcave.com/
    they're quite a bit more, though, and no free shipping. that's disappointing...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Bought 20,000 Days on Earth dvd today, it's utterly compelling... a must for all Cave fans.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i ended up asking for "from her to eternity" and "kicking against the pricks" for x-mas, so hopefully someone will get them for me so my collection can be complete

in the meantime, "the firstborn is dead", "your funeral my trial", and "abattoir blues/the lyre of orpheus" have all arrived. all on nice, heavyweight vinyl (with download codes). can't wait to listen to them.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have most of the albums on vinyl from when they were originally released so I was a little reluctant to buy the re-releases, however, someone bought me the Abattoir Blues 180g and it sounds fucking epic. I may purchase a couple of others now.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camille View Post
    I have most of the albums on vinyl from when they were originally released so I was a little reluctant to buy the re-releases, however, someone bought me the Abattoir Blues 180g and it sounds fucking epic. I may purchase a couple of others now.
    lucky duck!

do we know for sure if these reissues are of the recently remastered audio that was on the cd/dvd releases? or are they the original masters and these are all just re-presses?

edit: google is my friend

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Thanks to everyone here buying these early on and taking the risk, it's great to hear they came out right! Really looking forward to getting Your Funeral, My Trial, Tender Prey and No More Shall We Part.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So I really dig NC+TBS, but I just listened to the sdtk for The Assasination of Jesse James for the first time today and it fucking blew me away! What a jaw-dropping piece of work! Are the rest of his scores that amazing? Which other ones should I check out?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    So I really dig NC+TBS, but I just listened to the sdtk for The Assasination of Jesse James for the first time today and it fucking blew me away! What a jaw-dropping piece of work! Are the rest of his scores that amazing? Which other ones should I check out?
    Personally I think that's his absolute best but I highly recommend The Road.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcspiral View Post
    my favorite score is the proposition. the movie is incredible but a bit hard to watch at points, and the score is beautiful and haunting.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    my favorite score is the proposition. the movie is incredible but a bit hard to watch at points, and the score is beautiful and haunting.
    Worth nothing that Cave wrote the screenplay for it as well. Absolutely incredible film, with a setting that's miserably underused in Westerns (Australia).

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so my replacement for "your funeral, my trial" arrived, and (despite being opened to, i would assume, check to make sure both records were in it) once again came with two of the side C/D records. i have been on the phone with amazon customer service for about 15 minutes so far and i've been transferred twice.

edit: so, they issued me a refund ($19.99, the price it was when i pre-ordered) and told me to just ship back both copies while they "investigate." the problem is that, if i have to buy it again, i'll have to pay $24.99, which sucks.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 01-06-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    So I've got a question for anyone who might know the answer to.

I've got a CD copy of And No More Shall We Part. The catalog number is the same as the generic US release according to Discogs. But it's got a gold promo stamp on it. Any reason for this? Does that mean anything?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so my replacement for "your funeral, my trial" arrived, and (despite being opened to, i would assume, check to make sure both records were in it) once again came with two of the side C/D records. i have been on the phone with amazon customer service for about 15 minutes so far and i've been transferred twice.

edit: so, they issued me a refund ($19.99, the price it was when i pre-ordered) and told me to just ship back both copies while they "investigate." the problem is that, if i have to buy it again, i'll have to pay $24.99, which sucks.
    cross-posted from the vinyl collectors thread:

so, i thought i had finally acquired a proper version of "your funeral...my trial" but it's fucked up AGAIN.

the first two, both from amazon, had two side c/d discs.
    this one, which i got at my local record store, actually has a disc labeled side a/b, but it's still PRESSED with side c/d.

I JUST WANT A PROPER FUCKING COPY OF THIS RECORD, GOD DAMNIT!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    20,000 Days on Earth is available on Amazon Prime.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my vinyl reissues of "tender prey" and "let love in" arrived last week. haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but hopefully they'll be without issues.

also, the response i got from the nick cave shop help was ridiculous after the (five-paragraph) eloquent and kind message i sent them regarding the messed up pressing of "your funeral...my trial"

Hello Maxwell

Thank you for your email, this is not a situation we are familiar with here, so if you would like to place an order through our store please feel free to do so.

Kindest regards

Sandbag