Page 154 of 156 FirstFirst ... 54 104 144 152 153 154 155 156 LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,620 of 4661

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Ok so, if I if you guys saw what happened to Perryton, TX, but that's right down the road from where we live.

It's tough. A decent part of the town was levelled, and one of the tornadoes went straight through the RV/Trailer Park section.

At least the death count is just 4, so far, but good god. That shit just BARELY missed us.

It breaks my heart, to see another little farming community, on the portion of the US map that used to be labelled "no man's land" get torn to shreds.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Yeeeeah...or It COULD have been a bunch of other shit.
    I doubt it. The plane's behavior was similar to other hypoxia events. Certainly don't think it had anything to do with the Chinese balloons or UFOs.

Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Idk. I look at these stories and think "misdirection."
    If it was supposed to be misdirection, it failed. Everyone moved on from it pretty quickly.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I doubt it. The plane's behavior was similar to other hypoxia events. Certainly don't think it had anything to do with the Chinese balloons or UFOs.

If it was supposed to be misdirection, it failed. Everyone moved on from it pretty quickly.
    I wasn't saying it had anything to do with UFOs, except for the part wherein, you know...the US shot down a Chinese spy balloon, and then, what was it...three "UAPs?" And that insanity didn't come from ME, obviously. It came from the US gvmnt.
    People forgot about that stuff, too.

And then Guile throws a sonic boom over DC. I just don't know, man.
    This issue could have been a hypoxia event. Quite naturally.
    I'll tell you ONE thing, for GODDAMN sure: the US sure has been scrambling armed fighter jets on the regular, lately.
    That's not something I remember seeing until recently.

Edit: you know there's a war on, right?
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-16-2023 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

wow.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    those people are dead

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Such a shame. It's too bad there wasn't a bigger tragedy about arrogance and cutting corners in regards to safety that they could have learned from before this happened.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Do you know what this is reminding me of? The 1996 Mount Everest disaster . Another example of "if your rich enough, you can do anything".

When did it seem like a good idea to cram 5 people in a shoe box -- oh, I'm sorry; a submersible the size of an SUV and send them down 4 kilometers to see the Titanic wreck?

What can go wrong? /sarcasim

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Do you know what this is reminding me of? The 1996 Mount Everest disaster . Another example of "if your rich enough, you can do anything".

When did it seem like a good idea to cram 5 people in a shoe box -- oh, I'm sorry; a submersible the size of an SUV and send them down 4 kilometers to see the Titanic wreck?

What can go wrong? /sarcasim
    And the device used to control it is literally a Logitech gaming control pad.

What a way to go, though. That Pakistani billionaire and his son down there, in the pitch black and in near freezing temperatures just waiting to see if someone saves you or not. The thought is just chilling.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I guess they really wanted the "full" experience.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I still have hope that there will be a miracle and they will all be rescued. What a horrible way to die.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Ya'll see about the stepson still going to the Blink-182 concert? smh And then Cardi B's response is great, lol

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    apparently a debris field was found.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I feel the worst for the 19 year-old who was on the trip.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Ya'll see about the stepson still going to the Blink-182 concert? smh And then Cardi B's response is great, lol
    37 years old stepson, I find that a crucial detail for context.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

see also:

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    apparently a debris field was found.

And unsurprisingly, it's the hull of the Titan.

Sad news.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I mean, we all knew how this was going to end from the beginning. Didn't stop the news cycle from milking the shit out of it.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    of course they knew! i knew. watch the news video about the sub and they guy said he bought a handle from camper world. this thing wasn’t safe and the ocean is vast and powerful. the first things i read about this story told me they were dead.

facebook weirdos were praying for a miracle and i’m like “i hope your deity is more forgiving than the ocean”.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I mean, I'm not going to knock people for hoping they were still alive, nor trying to justify the ridiculous, nonsensical jokes people were, and are still making. It's incredibly tragic, no matter how someone tries to spin it. What news outlets did was twisted, but I don't think one is better than the other here.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I feel bad for everyone but the CEO. He had no concern for safety and was grossly irresponsible. It's a shame other people lost their lives due to his stupidity. I imagine if he had actual concern for safety, this sub would've been drastically different and would be making news for more positive reasons.

And as for why anyone would want to see the wreckage of the Titanic in person? First hand experience is different than experiencing it through a camera lense. Think about space. No amount of videos will ever compare to the actual feeling of being there and experiencing. It's enough for just to experience it through video, but not enough for others. I personally would love to go to space, I just wouldn't want to become Major Tom.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    "They heard"? Who heard this implosion? The fucking fish? Maybe I'm ignorant but it's my understanding that you can't hear an implosion over underwater transmission because the sub is too busy imploding to transmit anything.
    Last edited by botley; 06-22-2023 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @botley what do you MEAN, "who heard?"

The people who were on the Titanic heard it!

Jokes aside
    All love to the folks and their families.

But, this will ABSOLUTELY add another layer of mystery/intrigue/fascination to the entire Titanic lore.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    "They heard"? Who heard this implosion? The fucking fish? Maybe I'm ignorant but it's my understanding that you can't hear an implosion over underwater transmission because the sub is too busy imploding to transmit anything.
    The Navy. They have a system for detecting submarines and other vessels in case they can’t see them. They heard it back when it was descending but weren’t sure what it was. They believe they know now. What’s even more bonkers is James Cameron told Anderson Cooper tonight in an interview that he knew too, and through his ‘circle’ of deep submerge people and fellow divers that the Navy caught wind of it the day after it happened. And he said ‘I knew right there they were gone, it’s sad that all this hope was dangled in front of everyone for the past few days since.’

Seriously…

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's impossible to feel bad for them and like this was anything but a waste of time. These people are the picture of the failure and lie of trickle down economics. 250k spent on a ticket could've brought someone out of poverty, out someone through college, but these billionaires choose this frivolous bullshit. In this case an unregulated exploration conducted by a grifter and if it's anything these people have empowered, it's unregulated grifters.

Besides, they got more than they could have asked for, now they are somehow a famous footnote to the most famous shipwreck of all time.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Going to a concert to distract from a stressful situation is fine and if he had just said that going was helping to keep him occupied for a bit it wouldn't be a big deal. The fact that he was tagging the band and band members repeatedly and also hitting on OnlyFans models was a really, really bad look for him. Think what you will of Cardi but she's right.

Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    I feel the worst for the 19 year-old who was on the trip.
    Poor guy was scared to go but he went because it was Father's Day and it meant a lot to his dad for him to come along. That makes this even sadder.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    The Navy. They have a system for detecting submarines and other vessels in case they can’t see them. They heard it back when it was descending but weren’t sure what it was. They believe they know now. What’s even more bonkers is James Cameron told Anderson Cooper tonight in an interview that he knew too, and through his ‘circle’ of deep submerge people and fellow divers that the Navy caught wind of it the day after it happened. And he said ‘I knew right there they were gone, it’s sad that all this hope was dangled in front of everyone for the past few days since.’

Seriously…

James Cameron has done several deep-sea dives and even helped to design and build vessels for such dives. He has a lot of expertise on this as do many of his peers. He likely knew what happened but refrained from commenting until it was publicly confirmed out of respect for the families of the deceased.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    My scholarly friend shared this and I'm copying their words here with permission.

For anyone looking to think about the wider context of the Titan submersible accident, here are a few stray thoughts from a lifelong Titanic buff: me. Reflecting on the loss of the submersible, my mind keeps returning to this photograph. It was taken during Robert Ballard's 1986 expedition to the wreck, the first to survey the site in detail. Pictured is a pair of shoes in the debris field. Whereas most organic material on the wreck is now gone, tanned leather has consistently survived. The position of the shoes thus strongly suggests that they mark where a body came to rest on the morning of April 15th, 1912. Similarly paired shoes are found throughout the wreck site.

These shoes on the ocean floor are all that remain of a human being. We will never know whose body this was. It could be Thomas Andrews, Titanic's designer, who according to one account was last seen throwing deck chairs overboard to give those about to go into the water a fighting chance. It could be Jack Phillips, senior wireless operator, who remained at his post signalling for help even as freezing water lapped around his ankles. It could be Victor Giglio, valet to Benjamin Guggenheim, whose master had them both change into evening wear, declaring 'we've dressed in our best and are prepared to go down like gentlemen' - one wonders what Giglio thought of the plan. It could be the unknown crewman who, seeing third-class passenger Minnie Coutts without a lifebelt, took her to his cabin, gave her his own lifebelt and sent her off asking only 'if you're saved, madam, please pray for me.' It could be any one of the firemen or engineers who worked tirelessly in the bowels of the ship to keep the lights on as long as possible, by which time all hope of escape had gone. It could be any one of the husbands and fathers who put their wives and children into lifeboats and thought naught of their own safety. It could also be any of the poor souls who drowned in their cabins, believing the lie of an unsinkable ship to the end. Such is the nature of Titanic's story.

Now, one hundred and eleven years later, five more people have died on Titanic. However, this time there is no heroism or selflessness to be found. Wholly typical of the techbro class, Stockton Rush designed and operated his enterprise with a level of arrogance and hubris that would have taken aback even Bruce Ismay and J. P. Morgan, chairman of White Star and Titanic's owner respectively. Similarly, there's little good to be said about Harding and the Dawoods; two of them each hoarded more money than any one person could ever spend in a lifetime and they all paid US$250,000 a head - an amount of money that would significantly alter the course of most people's lives - for a four-hour joyride around a mass grave. If nothing else, think of the carbon emissions forestalled by their premature deaths.

Paul-Henri Nargeolet is as close to an innocent as there was among them. He knew the site better than anyone else as he had been diving it since 1987. Over the decades, working for various private companies, he salvaged over 6,000 artifacts from the wreck, more than anyone else working on licit expeditions. It is worth remembering that the salvage program was opposed by most living survivors and the relatives of victims. By the time the wreck was discovered in 1985, and salvage began in earnest in 1987, all living survivors had been children at the time of the disaster; a great many of them lost parents and family in the sinking and all of them, to one extent or another, had their final years defined by a deeply traumatic event they witnessed in childhood. When the owner of an object brought up by Nargeolet could be identified, attempts were made to return it to the owner or a living descendant - they were often refused. On at least one occasion, Nargeolet inadvertently brought up bone fragments while recovering jewelry.

It is deeply wrong to wish for or to provoke the loss of human life, under any circumstances, and no reasonable person would claim that any one of these men deserved the death they received as such. However, with the state of the world and especially the events of the past few years, not to mention the very recent sinking of the Andrianna off Messenia, in which up to 650 people, including a hundred children, may have perished, I find the irreverent reaction to the fate of the billionaire tourists on social media more than understandable. These men were in varying degrees indifferent to the world and the consequences of their actions. The fact that their demise has triggered such an outpouring of wit and humour gives me, at least, hope that we are on our way to a better world where the attitudes and mistakes that doomed the Titan, and indeed the Titanic, are a thing of the past.
    Last edited by botley; 06-23-2023 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm not saying they should have died, but while we are slashing lunch programs for children and reinstating student loans, probably dropped a good million just to find the wreck of these people, indifferent to that suffering.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Considering how much of a cheap bastard he was with no regard for proper safety, I'd say the CEO of the company is right where he belongs now.

EDIT: Cry me a river if you facepalm this. I have zero sympathy for people who put profits over safety.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-24-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    these people should be taxed in such an aggressive way that even the thought to spend this kind of money for a trip like this wouldn't cross their mind. Billionaires should be taxed out of existence worldwide. This is what we mean by eat the fucking rich.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 06-28-2023 at 09:33 AM.