I used to love Koontz when I was younger. I read at least fifteen or so of his books. Then, at some point it hit me: every God damn book follows the EXACT same formula. The only one I can remember offhand is the crazy government conspiracy (there were a LOT of those) or some lame paranormal occurrence. All the characters were drawn in broad strokes (no shades of gray for Mr. Koontz, the good guys are always completely flawless and the bad guys are irrepressibly, unmistakably evil without a hint of a good quality). There's almost always a dog. Fuck, does that guy love his dogs. The world to him is good versus evil, in the very sort of straight-forward, God fearing sense. Once I saw this formula for what it was (I think being a bit older had something to do with it) I completely gave up on him (except for the third book in the Midnight Bay trilogy- I'll come back for that, if he ever writes it which, fourteen years after the last one, I doubt will ever happen).

I do have a soft spot for a few of his books, though. I still like Odd Thomas and am looking forward to the movie (though I think they'll probably botch it).