Page 140 of 215 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 138 139 140 141 142 150 190 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,200 of 6449

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Why is while im still here and black noise 2 separate tracks? seriously people.
    I have a theory as to why that is. While I'm Still Here offers a little glimmer of hope as it progresses, but Black Noise takes that hope and fills it with an unease about the future that builds and builds until it overtakes everything. Obviously they could function as one track (I've even gone to the "effort" of editing them into one track for my MP3 player), but thematically, I can see why they're separate.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Not on that tour, I don't think, but sometime in 2001 APC started playing "Vacant" on stage (which apparently started life as a Tapeworm collaboration), and TR made some snippy comment about wishing they'd had a chance to "fully realize" the song before it was aired in public. Of course, Tapeworm was killed and APC finished the song themselves (as "Passive" on eMOTIVe​) some years later with Reznor's blessing.
    Source that it was with his blessing? I remember him commenting (also kind of snippy) that he hadn't heard the "final" version

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    Source that it was with his blessing? I remember him commenting (also kind of snippy) that he hadn't heard the "final" version
    Source being... his publishing company crediting him on the final release. I guess technically "Hot Dog" by Limp Bizkit was also released with his blessing, if that is the standard! Maynard says that "Potions" was also a Tapeworm track which he finished as a wedding present to TR.
    Last edited by botley; 02-19-2016 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Source being... his publishing company crediting him on the final release. I guess technically "Hot Dog" by Limp Bizkit was also released with his blessing, if that is the standard! Maynard says that "Potions" was also a Tapeworm track which he finished as a birthday present to TR.
    well interestingly I do recall him discussing that he specifically did approve "Hot Dog," because he wanted people to hear the "intelligence" in that song or something.

still, I'm not sure it really required his "blessing" for them to do it -- they had to give attribution, but he didn't have to sign off one way or the other.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm not sure it really required his "blessing" for them to do it -- they had to give attribution, but he didn't have to sign off one way or the other.
    Yes, he did; as co-authour he has the right to refuse its release or take his name off it in protest. People seem to hate that recording of "Passive" so much (why?), I guess they just tend to assume Reznor must hate it as well. In fact, it's only the earlier live version they all seem to love better that he complained about.
    Last edited by botley; 02-19-2016 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    People seem to hate that song so much (why?), I guess they just tend to assume Reznor must hate it as well.
    People like drama, and they want to believe there's some sort of rift between Trent and Maynard since Tapeworm fizzled and they haven't collaborated since.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Yes, he did; as co-authour he had the right to refuse its release or take his name off it in protest. People seem to hate that recording of the song so much (why?), I guess they just tend to assume Reznor must hate it as well, when in fact it's only the earlier live version they all seem to love better that he complained about.
    the right to refuse or take name off in protest is hardly the same as blessing. also, he hadn't heard it before it was released (or even some time after):
    http://www.nin.wiki/File:2005_02_26Questions16.gif

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    the right to refuse or take name off in protest is hardly the same as blessing. also, he hadn't heard it before it was released (or even some time after)

Yeah, because he was too busy with restarting NIN to have any active participation. "Passive" was released with his approval, even if he didn't hear the final mix before it came out. He approved its release, if only via his publishing representative; they have blocked unapproved uses of his work before.

To be clear: there is no rift between MJK and TR. He called everyone in Tool "friends" onstage in Italy when NIN played on the same festival as them back in 2007. They also collaborated on a Jubilee single around the same time, no reason to assume there is any ill will.
    Last edited by botley; 02-19-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

To be clear: there is no rift between MJK and TR. He called everyone in Tool "friends" onstage in Italy when NIN played on the same festival as them back in 2007. They also collaborated on a Jubilee single around the same time, no reason to assume there is any ill will.
    for sure, and definitely not trying to say otherwise. I just think you're reading way too much into the co-writing credit.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I wonder why EDIETS was played lived so scarcely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ic]2 conclude if i may. If u HATE Potions, hate US not Trent. We wrote it together, but PUSCIFER produced it. It was my wedding present 2 him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcore View Post
    Arachnophobia - TR - anyone?
    So, answer myself: Guess, TR fearz nothing (but maybe about his family), at least not spiderz. But the picture in the head, TR crying out like a jumpy girl makes me giggle.

Why Nine Inch Nails didn't come to Cologne during tour in 2014?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Or LITS/CR, or 999999/1m
    Lights in the Sky and Corona Radiata are two tracks seguing into each other, to me. But having While I'm Still Here and Black Noise separated makes as much sense as separating Hurt from its white noise outro...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Btw, you do remember you can seamlessly loop "While I'm still here" forever? Then cancel the loop and enjoy your end of being here when you're ready. :-)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I just think you're reading way too much into the co-writing credit.
    What am I reading into it? If he felt it wasn't right, he could have quietly vetoed the release. A Perfect Circle and Puscifer are not covering any released Tapeworm songs, a scenario for which they wouldn't need to seek permission. They established new works based on prior work that was previously unpublished (hence the new title for "Passive"). To do that, you need express permission from the authours of the unreleased work, or at least from their representatives.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    forget Tapeworm, i would still kill to hear the album TR did with Zack de la Rocha...why doesnt he just leak the fucking thing. over 20 songs recorded..it clearly pissed him off when Zack bailed on it....why not leak it to the masses

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    ...why not leak it to the masses
    Because it's not his album to leak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by emptydesk View Post
    Does anyone have any insider info/gossip about the ending of the professional relationship between TR and Kevin McMahon? I've only heard whispers and rumors.

I mean with the Vivendi/Seagram merger Nothing ended up reduced to NIN and Manson, but I've always felt like there's a story with what happened to Prick.
    Statements that were made:
    Kevin: “As time passed, the [first] record came out, they signed more and more people, and all of a sudden, the idea of me doing a record every year or every 18 months turned into 'Well, there’s no commercial radio hit here anymore, you need to do a commercial radio kind of thing.’”
    Kevin: "There was never any real blowout with Trent"
    Malm: "I think that he didn’t take well to the major label situation."

Rumors:
    Some people have suggested that "I Know It's Going to Hurt" is about Trent and/or Nothing.
    One of the supposed titles for the second Prick album was "Numb," and one of the producers listed for The Wreckard is "Numb Struggles," suggesting that that album was produced by the struggles he went through trying to work with Nothing.

Sounds like the business problems didn't translate into personal problems, even if they're not best buds anymore.

The other information I've dug up is on here.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mqhanlon View Post
    Rumors:
    Some people have suggested that "I Know It's Going to Hurt" is about Trent and/or Nothing.
    One of the supposed titles for the second Prick album was "Numb," and one of the producers listed for The Wreckard is "Numb Struggles," suggesting that that album was produced by the struggles he went through trying to work with Nothing.

The other information I've dug up is on here.
    Good summary (even if those rumours are total bullshit), but this part is definitely inaccurate: "McMahon and Reznor had discussed working together in the studio around this time [pre-NIN], although it never panned out." TR is credited as a backing singer and sax player on Lucky Pierre's Communiqué EP.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Think they mean after NIN started?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good summary (even if those rumours are total bullshit), but this part is definitely inaccurate: "McMahon and Reznor had discussed working together in the studio around this time [pre-NIN], although it never panned out." TR is credited as a backing singer and sax player on Lucky Pierre's Communiqué EP.
    Hmm. Yeah, I definitely see how I worded that poorly. I was referring to a quote from McMahon in an interview that's archived on LuckyPrick. I think he's talking about recording with Trent outside of the context of Lucky Pierre:

Q: What was it like working with Trent in the studio? Have you guys been friends all along?
    A: We were friends, he played in my group. He was a keyboard player in one of my bands in Cleveland and we wanted to get together and do some recording back then but that's one of the times I left the situation. He started writing at that time and got his Pretty Hate Machine record out. So he kind of disappeared for a few years. Although we still wanted to work together in the studio we would see each other in town... telephone. So yeah, we've been friends for awhile so in the studio it was just hanging out with somebody I knew and I've played with before.

Also, I'm not totally convinced of the "I Know It's Going To Hurt" thing, but the Numb Struggles seems reasonable to me.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Do you think that Trent hasn't been able to do the classic Reznor bark vocals after the WT tour cause of all the roids he took?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Do you think that Trent hasn't been able to do the classic Reznor bark vocals after the WT tour cause of all the roids he took?
    this, or just classic throat aging.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    so i was talking to a friend and he mentioned something about a falling out Trent had with APC during the Fragility tour.
    is this true? i was not aware of this and well things are different now but am curious as to what happened (if anything?).
    Hahaha. I remember this. Story time!

What happened was some band was backstage, overheard some things, interpreted it as bitching, and went online to say that APC was unhappy with their touring situation. SLS News went with the story, and caught absolute hell for it. Imagine the kind of email Trent writes to you when he sees you spreading the idea that bands on your tour aren't getting the support they need. It was kind of devastating for the guy running the site - he called me in kind of a panic about it, and I tried to give him positive reassurances, but he made himself a shit sandwich and took a big bite out of it.

So NIN rolls through our neck of the woods - Columbia, MD. (SLS was run out of Virginia). It was actually one of the nights I didn't announce that I'd be at the show - some of you may remember that I'd try to organize get-togethers at shows via the Hotline. I'm walking around with my buddy Jason, and I got one of those Fragility ticket holder laminates, and Evan (the guy who ran SLS) spots me. "Where'd you get that? Are you going backstage too? I got a call from Susan (who ran PR), she's flying in for the show." Super weird. I think at some point I ran into Keith or Rob, and they gave Jason and I stickies, so after the show, we're hanging out 'backstage' in the lounge area waiting for traffic to die down. Susan swoops in, Evan in tow, sees me, and assures me I'll get to talk to Trent too. At this point, I'd met the guy a couple of times, it's not that big a deal, it's more kind of weird that this whole thing is being set up like it is. Universal/Interscope management is, to put it mildly, melodramatic as hell, and maybe think Evan and I are more important than we really are with our fan sites.

Anyway, some time passes, she emerges from the door and asks me to come back to wherever this room is that Trent's talking to Evan in. He explains the whole situation with APC and how it's actually fine, and this other group of people were just trying to fake some gravity by showing off that they were backstage at a NIN show. Evan, meanwhile, is telling Trent that he's heard the (as of yet unreleased) Tweaker album, and that he thinks Trent would really like it, and should give it a listen. Then a dude comes in with a huge pile of merch and gives it to Evan. Trent says, are you going to do something like that for Matt? I waved it off - "I'm not here for free merch dude, it's all good." (I probably should have kept my mouth shut).

Wasn't that fun?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Trent says, are you going to do something like that for Matt? I waved it off - "I'm not here for free merch dude, it's all good." (I probably should have kept my mouth shut).
    "naw man you don't need to do that I'm a size medium it's no big deal I like the tour date shirts really it's not about that you got any key chains"

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    he made himself a shit sandwich and took a big bite out of it.
    this expression right there is excellent.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    When you listen to I Do Not Want This. Does the snare fall on the 1? or does the kick fall on the 1?

Yeah I think the snare is a pickup before the start of every beat, with the kick pretty sure landing on the one.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Can someone point me to the New NIN Material Thread? Just trying to check up on that but I can't seem to find it well.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Copy_of_an_Echo View Post
    Can someone point me to the New NIN Material Thread? Just trying to check up on that but I can't seem to find it well.
    Well, there isn't an new NIN material, and therefore the thread was locked http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...coming-in-2016

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Well, there isn't an new NIN material, and therefore the thread was locked http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...coming-in-2016
    Oh okay thanks anyway at least I understand how things are gonna be. Guess Trent's got no where else to hide, but God is on our side. At least, I'm sure that's what Placebo keeps telling himself. I am trying to believe, in this new material.