Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandbag Watch - NIN and Sandbag part. Livenation picks up the pieces.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'm sure there are quite a few folks that if they knew exactly what the Deviations set was gonna be and look like wouldn't have dropped the $80 on it. But again, this release has been built up over the years teasing its release, the huge difference in pricing from the other packages, Trent's grand statement on how he wants to present vinyl, and the PDF art files all contributed to people having higher expectations.
    How do you know that's true? You're basing this on a couple of anectodal posts at best. I'm seeing people on Facebook gushing about how great this looks and sounds. People come to this board specifically to bitch about things, it's not a representative sample size.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So is this the first halo to come out out of Halo Number order? In terms of physical release

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    So is this the first halo to come out out of Halo Number order? In terms of physical release
    Unless you count the physical component of NTAE...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    How do you know that's true? You're basing this on a couple of anectodal posts at best. I'm seeing people on Facebook gushing about how great this looks and sounds. People come to this board specifically to bitch about things, it's not a representative sample size.
    I just love how people are so angry if there are people who are disappointed. Who are you? People paid for the release and have the right to have an opinion whether you agree with it or not. I don't see any of the people here who feel disappointed attacking any of the folks that are happy with the release. So the folks who feel disappointed get to be treated like assholes. As I said, if you love the release, you love it. No one is knocking you. But it's funny how the people who do like the release get all up in arms with the people who feel let down after receiving their copies and then they come and approach the conversation like "You're an asshole for not liking this." I find that quite enlightening.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Unless you count the physical component of NTAE...
    I'm gonna push back and say that sheepdean is correct when you consider that a halo is the same shape as a disc and the physical component was all rectangles.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Hey, I was done with the convo. This guy was coming at me because I'm a musician, acting like I don't support artists when I'm sadly one of the few that actually pays to download digital music and buys physical music and do my best to buy directly from the artist. It was a silly sarcastic response to someone attacking me as an artist/musician myself. Showing the difference between a situation where expectations were built up due to grand statements and misleading info causing folks to be disappointed with the end result versus a situation where you know exactly the item that you are buying. I'm sure there are quite a few folks that if they knew exactly what the Deviations set was gonna be and look like wouldn't have dropped the $80 on it. But again, this release has been built up over the years teasing its release, the huge difference in pricing from the other packages, Trent's grand statement on how he wants to present vinyl, and the PDF art files all contributed to people having higher expectations. But don't try to come at me for being a musician and act like I'm someone who doesn't support the artists they love.
    From the stuff Trent said I didn't expect this amazing packaging. I bought Cargo in the Blood which was worth every penny and everything was specified to the point of a video showing the branding, and all the previous deluxe packages have had very specific descriptions to the point of videos of Trent signing the Ghosts packaging.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    trent is gonna be so pissed at you guys. ;p

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    80 is steep but as a fan I would have paid double, I been waiting over a decade for this. I guess you could call me a "pig".

I also knew every detail before buying though.
    Last edited by Rdm; 06-30-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I just love how people are so angry if there are people who are disappointed. Who are you? People paid for the release and have the right to have an opinion whether you agree with it or not. I don't see any of the people here who feel disappointed attacking any of the folks that are happy with the release. So the folks who feel disappointed get to be treated like assholes. As I said, if you love the release, you love it. No one is knocking you. But it's funny how the people who do like the release get all up in arms with the people who feel let down after receiving their copies and then they come and approach the conversation like "You're an asshole for not liking this." I find that quite enlightening.
    Nobody is even bitching about most people who are critical, they're bitching to you because you won't shut up about it even though you didn't even bloody pay for it (but still have the digital files)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Right, so I buy a lot of vinyl. It's my new hobby (read: addiction) and has been for a few years now. I haven't always been thrilled with NIN's vinyl packaging (the flimsy paper of the HTDA record and Hesitation Marks, the Ghosts fuckery, etc.) but there have also been great examples (TGWTDT was sweet, the original Fragile packaging) so it's a mixed bag. My copy arrived, it's smooshed in some corners, so I'm opening a ticket and spending tonight listening to Deviations digitally.

$80 is a lot, totally, but you were already buying this already if you were a big fan, right? Especially if you didn't have a record player, right?

Anyway, you get what you pay for. Based on the pics and descriptions, it seemed like we were getting a simple tri-gatefold package with some new David Carson artwork and four LPs with instrumentals of favorites and new songs. Cool. I'm OK with that. Deluding yourself into thinking we'd get "A Moon Shaped Pool" or "Little Fictions" or "Infinity Overhead" or "Melancholy Anniversary" or whatever the fuck package is on you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This band is the only band I care about to have EVERYTHING (except i settled for medium ghosts....I regret it everyday). Literally the only band. I would've paid double for this, no shit.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm still going to spin the shit out of this and drink some red wine when my replacement shows up.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    From the stuff Trent said I didn't expect this amazing packaging. I bought Cargo in the Blood which was worth every penny and everything was specified to the point of a video showing the branding, and all the previous deluxe packages have had very specific descriptions to the point of videos of Trent signing the Ghosts packaging.
    I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing...
    A) This was teased about for years that there will be some amazing Fragile reissue.
    B) Trent's manifesto on the greatness of vinyl and having amazing art to hold in your and look at.
    C) The PDF art file with 30 pieces of art.
    D) the pretty big price jump compared to the Definitive Editions

I think those things put together are what led people to think that there would be a little bit more to this. It seems the problems were people were expecting a little more art, perhaps a booklet or not just your standard gatefold, and made with a bit better materials. It seems the material itself is rather thin from what I've read. I've seen many of the people reacting positively end their review with how they do wish there was a little bit more when it came to the art/packaging. So you either 100% happy or happy to finally have an expanded Fragile but still a bit disappointed with the end product or you're just disappointed or you just downright not happy whatsoever with this release.
    Last edited by neorev; 06-30-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I hear that you can print the PDF out and hang it on your wall and it has lyrics for some song called "Not So Pretty Now." Best NIN song ever.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I just don't think this is the end all be all fragile that was teased. It's either still coming or not. I don't think this is that though. It's just a cool piece of the whole. For me it was, will I spend 80 on a different version of my favorite album on vinyl with new nin quality art? Yes.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 06-30-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I still have no email or anything any one else not getting notification?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't know how many times I have to say the same thing...
    A) This was teased about for years that there will be some amazing Fragile reissue.
    B) Trent's manifesto on the greatness of vinyl and having amazing art to hold in your and look at.
    D) the pretty big price jump compared to the Definitive Editions

I think those things put together are what led people to think that there would be a little bit more to this. It seems the problems were people were expecting a little more art and made with better materials. I've seen many of the people reacting positively end their review with how they do wish there was a little bit more when it came to the art/packaging. So you either 100% happy or happy to finally have an expanded Fragile but still a bit disappointed with the end product or you're just disappointed or you just downright not happy whatsoever with this release.
    What's that matter to you? I got a refund so did you and kept the files.I have deviations. Are you some self appointed spokesman to a fight that isn't even your fight?

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I just love how people are so angry if there are people who are disappointed. Who are you?
    Hi, I'm a guy who actually paid for this release. Glad you think I have the right to hold an opinion on it!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    What's that matter to you? I got a refund so did you and kept the files.I have deviations. Are you some self appointed spokesman to a fight that isn't even your fight?
    You seem to be ignoring the fact that my response was to your response trying to invalidate the valid reasons that many of us have shared about why were were disappointed.

So I reiterated once again the main points at why there were some expectations surrounding this release due to specific things said and done on Trent's part. Luckily, you weren't fooled. Good for you.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hi, I'm a guy who actually paid for this release. Glad you think I have the right to hold an opinion on it!
    You have every right to have your opinion on THE RELEASE. You don't have the right to treat others like they're idiots for being disappointed and give them shit for their opinion. They are allowed to be disappointed. I think you missed the entire point of my post. Instead you just go and select a small portion of what I said and then ignore the rest of it that literally says you have the right to love this release and that no one is knocking you. It's only the people who like this release that seem to be attacking the people that don't and not the other way around. Who are you? pertains to who are you to attack someone that is allowed to feel disappointed with valid reasons? That's the real question.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Let's all agree to disagree and that this release has been a complete shitshow.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhulud View Post
    Let's all agree to disagree and that this release has been a complete shitshow.
    I agree on that

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    So this release has created a pretty big rift in the community, I wonder if the big guy will actually address it. I don't mind that the packaging was a super low effort standard run-of-the-mill 4 vinyl package. I just want to know why it was so expensive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    **LONG POST, SERIOUS REVIEW, SPOILER WARNING**

Hey, sorry that after all the back and forth I didn’t get a chance to post this sooner. It’s been a hectic day. Needless to say, I’ve read a lot of the discussion here and some are disappointed, others are pleased, some have received damaged copies, and it would appear a ton just don’t give a shit to spend all day looking at ETS.

After going through this entire experience and finally receiving the product, I have no idea why some people are disappointed. My package arrived with two corners slightly bent, but to be honest it’s not any worse than what I’ve picked up brand new in actual record shops (some still exist!). But I’m the kind of dumb motherfucker who snags an Africa-shaped 7” Toto picture disc on record store day, so what do I know.

Anyway, as I posted earlier, I expected my delivery today and did indeed receive it. I’m almost certain, though, that it was hand delivered by fucking TRENT HIMSELF! I mean look at this package, it’s clearly covered in corn starch, I don’t know how else it would have gotten this way.

So, I finally opened it up and at first wasn’t really impressed. Pretty nondescript cover.

But then I opened the gatefold and HOLY FUCK THERE HE WAS. Trent literally comes with the record and starts throwing open water bottles at you.

But that wasn’t all. I played it, and as others have said, it sounds fantastic. I didn’t think much of it at first – though it did seem odd that the record is actually the size of a table (you can see my full-sized beer for scale next to my super high end equipment in this pic). Look closely, though, and you’ll see why it sounds so good – fucking Atticus AND Charlie are ALSO included with the album to make sure it sounds perfect!

I don’t know what else to say, other than my copy of The Fragile: Karaoke Edition has elevated my weekly NIN singalongs to an entire new level. Tonight’s mosh pit was so insane someone lost two teeth! I mean, it was my 4 month old puppy who is teething, but it was a fuckin’ rager the likes of which I haven’t seen since The Fragile 2.0 at MSG in 2000.

[note: times like these I really miss Meathead; apologies for the poor approximation and stolen art]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You totally fucking saved this thread.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well got home and my vinyl was waiting for me. Slightly damaged cover (slightly smootched corner and a crease on the spine, nothing big). Probably will put in a ticket because I want things *perfect* man.

Anyway, I did as Trent instructed and sat down with this record. Not so much to look at so I looked at the rest of my nin vinyl as I listened. And lo, it was good (woo!). I actually love the breaks in between the sides. You can tell they were well calculated beginnings and endings. My audio system isn't anything fancy (a $150 Audio Technica and a little Bose speaker), but I do think The March sounds particularly lush.

all and all, despite wishing for a somewhat more deluxe package, I really enjoyed it. Probably going to try a high quality print of the .pdf just to have *something* as a feature for this damn thing.

Oh, also really like the art on the center of each record itself. It's a good package. Wish it was more like $55-60, but this is still really a nice acquisition. Can't wait for all my "definitive edition" vinyl to arrive in August!
    Last edited by GentlemanLoser; 06-30-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: damn autocorrect

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wanted to weigh in on this too. I've got to say that I'm very disappointed.
    -The white sleeves that hold the vinyl are very basic and nothing to write home about.
    -the back cover art is completely half-assed and weird (not in a good way).
    -the vinyl art doesn't have the sides labeled. WTF? Well then I'll look at the track-listing sheet to match up the art with the vinyl. The art doesn't match either? Double WTF?
    -$80 for this? Triple WTF?
    -Trent Reznor approved this design and artwork? The world must be coming to an end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker973 View Post
    **LONG POST, SERIOUS REVIEW, SPOILER WARNING**

This made my freaking day. Nephews were here all day, and all I was able to do was open the package, say "Hands off", and hide it away. After all the negativity in this thread, I wanted to say thanks for the laugh. Trent didn't send me any corn starch though, so I'm a little miffed that you got a better version...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Forgot to add, the corners of mine were fucked, so the ticket for a replacement sleeve is in. Otherwise, I'm just happy to finally have it in the collection. The optimist in me hoped for a booklet or something more, but the realist in me was ecstatic with what I received and in no way disappointed.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I just don't think this is the end all be all fragile that was teased. It's either still coming or not. I don't think this is that though. It's just a cool piece of the whole. For me it was, will I spend 80 on a different version of my favorite album on vinyl with new nin quality art? Yes.
    Yes remember there's supposed to be a 5.1 surround mix isn't there? Maybe there will be a proper 20th anniversary edition in 2019?
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-01-2017 at 04:12 AM.