Thread: Random Celebrity Headlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Honestly, who cares who plays a transgender? It's just a film role. I can't believe people are getting angry over Scarlett Johansson playing a transgender man. Honestly, it's just a role. If they can get a man to play that part, fine. Still at the end of the day, it's a business. If you want people to watch a movie about a transgender pimp, get whoever you can that can bring a wide audience. I honestly don't know why people are really upset over this. If they can get a transgender person to play that role with a top-notch director with a certain pedigree. Fine. Stop with this political correctness bullshit. I'm fucking tired of you SJWs acting like whiny little bitches.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Honestly, who cares who plays a transgender? It's just a film role. I can't believe people are getting angry over Scarlett Johansson playing a transgender man. Honestly, it's just a role. If they can get a man to play that part, fine. Still at the end of the day, it's a business. If you want people to watch a movie about a transgender pimp, get whoever you can that can bring a wide audience. I honestly don't know why people are really upset over this. If they can get a transgender person to play that role with a top-notch director with a certain pedigree. Fine. Stop with this political correctness bullshit. I'm fucking tired of you SJWs acting like whiny little bitches.
    People are frustrated by it because trans people have a hard enough time getting jobs. Not just in acting, but really everywhere. I googled a few minutes ago and the stats I'm seeing are really sad. Transgender folks have much higher rates of unemployment. So when influential art mediums like film choose to tell a story about a man who is trans and have an opportunity to hire a trans person for that role, it's insulting for them to choose a cisgendered woman. It's insulting to the trans community, it's insulting to the person who they are actually telling the story about too. It's not about "political correctness" or "SJW" anything - it's about being logical (story about a man who was trans? Hire a trans man to play the role, duh) but it's also about being gracious to a group of people who have been historically ignored at best and treated pretty viciously at worst.

To make the bite more painful - Hollywood makes a lot of money off the trends that the LGBT community set and the stories they tell, but it's unusual for that community to reap the financial benefits of their contributions to pop culture at large.

It doesn't harm you to learn about what other people deal with on a regular basis. Others speaking up out of concern for a marginalized group doesn't take anything from you. It doesn't cost anyone anything to be kind. That's all that's being requested here. Nobody is saying that we should cut Scarlett Johansson's head off - only that it was wrong that she got the role.
    Last edited by eachpassingphase; 07-10-2018 at 11:57 AM.