Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "greatest hits"-tour in europe

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I swear to god one day trent is going to play a set full of ghosts + still + further down the spiral and you guys are going to go "WHAT THE FUCK NO CLOSER"
    There was little (I would say no, but I remember at least one person) complaining about Closer being dropped after the festival leg. ETS as a whole would not complain if Closer wasn't played ever again.
    They'd be more likely to complain about how slow/boring a show made 1/3 of Ghosts would be.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    They'd be more likely to complain about how slow/boring a show made 1/3 of Ghosts would be.
    I'm on the team of "play Ghosts I-IV in full with an orchestra"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealNs1 View Post
    I swear to god one day trent is going to play a set full of ghosts + still + further down the spiral and you guys are going to go "WHAT THE FUCK NO CLOSER"
    See: the UK's reaction to NIN's Sonisphere 2009 set for pretty much exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm on the team of "play Ghosts I-IV in full with an orchestra"
    Nah, he should tour solo with a mixture of Fragile and "quiet" tracks arranged for a string section and grand piano, like the Bridge School shows. It sounds like there might be one more NIN album/tour on deck before that can happen, though.
    Last edited by botley; 05-20-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post

Nah, he should tour solo with a mixture of Fragile and "quiet" tracks arranged for a string section and grand piano, like the Bridge School shows. It sounds like there might be one more NIN album/tour on deck before that can happen, though.
    Find My Way would sound really good that way, I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This UK tour is pretty good but NIN live is usually amazing not sure if its the 4 piece or Trent is just focusing his energy more on the gone girl soundtrack. Think this will be the last tour i do multiple shows of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    See: the UK's reaction to NIN's Sonisphere 2009 set for pretty much exactly that.
    It was more that the setlist for that show was just a badly planned mess with no dynamics at all and that it ended about 15 minutes earlier than they were supposed to, mixed with Trent's contempt for playing to what he thought was an audience of Metallica fans only that made Sonisphere suck, rather than the fact that Closer wasnt played lol.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The Sonisphere performance was awesome. I was on the barrier for that and the Metallica fans (as usual) were extremely respectful. Calm your noise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    The Sonisphere performance was awesome. I was on the barrier for that and the Metallica fans (as usual) were extremely respectful. Calm your noise.
    I didnt say they weren`t respectful.

I said that Trent misread the event and thought he would be playing to Metallica`s audience and therefore he played a screwed up setlist just to try and piss them off, which he admitted afterwards. Unfortunately a huge part of the crowd were there to see NIN and got a rushed setlist devoid of any kind of dynamics which left a large amount of the audience either puzzled or disappointed. Im sure it was great on the barrier, go a little further back and all you got was puzzled looks and disappointed faces, especially from NIN fans. Trent made a point of saying he played a "quiet set" , but it was just a real mess. If he'd actually played a quiet set it would have been really nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the setlists now went down the drain again.
    why there is no "i would for you", "various methods of escape", "all time low"?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    You guys have to remember, we are what trent himself (semi?) jokingly calls "superfans" here.
    Most of us don't go to NIN shows psyched up to hear HLAH and Closer...don't get me wrong, those two specifically drive me nuts these days.

And my dream NIN show would be more Still than Wish/MOTP/Terrible lie...and for some reason, i THINK we are going to get this someday.

But there are a LOT of people who haven't seen NIN...people who love NIN as much as we do...even people here on ETS, who have never caught a show AT ALL. And to paraphrase @sheepdean , you loved hearing all those staple tunes the first time around.

So i think, as fans, we have to recognize this shit, and realize that, even as boring as it may be to some of us to hear hurt live for the sixth or seventh or twentieth time live, there are other "REAL" nin fans for whom these performances make their fucking DECADE, you feel me?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tension: ~24-26 songs
    Europe2014: ~20 songs

Let him play all the hits, but it wouldn't hurt anyone to throw in some rarities. Throw in just a couple old and new songs and you get a killer setlist:

Me, I'm Not
    Copy of A
    The Beginning of the End
    March of the Pigs
    Piggy
    Reptile
    Survivalism
    The Becoming
    Gave Up
    Sanctified
    Closer
    Find My Way
    Disappointed
    The Warning
    The Great Destroyer
    Eraser
    A Warm Place
    Somewhat Damaged
    Wish
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole

All Time Low
    The Day the World Went Away
    In This Twilight
    Hurt

But I'm not complaining too much, I like the setlist and I can't wait to see the show on Monday

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Despite my post in the general discussion thread, I would still in no way call this a greatest hits tour. The Great Destroyer, Eraser, Sanctified Me, I'm Not - decidedly not hits.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    those EU setlists are ok, although I still think throwing in some random Head Down would make it a hell lotta better

*edit* or anything from The Slip actually, who wants some Discipline, Echoplex or maybe even Demon Seed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When I saw these 3 japan setlists earlier in the year, I thought "omg what a treat, I'm sure we won't have that kind of set in Europe"...

... LOL

Opening with Me I'm Not, then Reptile, Eraser, The Warning, The Great Destroyer, TDTWWA Fragile version... of course nobody has one of these in his top 10 NIN songs...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post
    *edit* or anything from The Slip actually, who wants some Discipline, Echoplex or maybe even Demon Seed?
    Please, god, no. Discipline is the only acceptable song.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    It's not a greatest hits tour until we get TPD, WITT, DII and Discipline. This is a "pretty good selection of non-album tracks tour".

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    holy shit, i LOVE 1,000,000, letting you, echoplex...you don't like?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antpatty View Post
    This UK tour is pretty good but NIN live is usually amazing not sure if its the 4 piece or Trent is just focusing his energy more on the gone girl soundtrack. Think this will be the last tour i do multiple shows of
    Looks like I lucked out with the three shows I went to, as the band killed each time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    blasphemy .

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This is madness!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    holy shit, i LOVE 1,000,000, letting you, echoplex...you don't like?
    1,000,000 is alright live. Letting You and Echoplex are frigging dull. The best bit of the Cardiff show was just the entire area on the rail in front of Trent glaring at him and standing around mute while they played Letting You.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Letting You is one of the weakest NIN songs. I never liked it, and I have no idea why he'd play it live. There's something about the chorus that sounds off, probably the "WE'RE letting you get away". Why doesn't he sing "we're LETTING you get away"...

Echoplex is brilliant, one of my favorite post-With Teeth NIN songs. Not sure if it needs to be played live though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    Letting You is one of the weakest NIN songs.
    Really?!

That song is absolutely intense especially when Josh Freese was on the drums. He would just annihilate on the kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkė View Post
    Opening with Me I'm Not, then Reptile, Eraser, The Warning, The Great Destroyer, TDTWWA Fragile version... of course nobody has one of these in his top 10 NIN songs...
    Would it be awkward to raise the fact Reptile is my no.1 NIN song? :\

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's mine too!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    And mine!

(10 characters)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post
    Letting You is one of the weakest NIN songs. I never liked it, and I have no idea why he'd play it live. There's something about the chorus that sounds off, probably the "WE'RE letting you get away". Why doesn't he sing "we're LETTING you get away"...

Echoplex is brilliant, one of my favorite post-With Teeth NIN songs. Not sure if it needs to be played live though.
    Letting You was always pretty meh for me, the only weak moment on The Slip (yes, including Corona Radiata), but still, Echoplex is kinda cool live as a moment to take a deep breath, but come on, Head Down during LITS 2008 was the highlight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can understand why they play "hits" at every concert, but do they really have to play all of them? And at such predictable moments? I mean anyone who's seen NIN a few times can guess when Wish or MOTP will kick in. I don't know how many times I've seen them but I'm pretty sure Wish, Closer, MOTP, Hurt, HLAH, THTF (since 2005) and Gave Up were played every single time.

Having said that, when I saw them in London, the crowd was going crazy during these songs and few of us were excited about Sanctified, Disappointed, etc. I noticed it was during these songs that people went to the bathroom...

As to comparing US and European tours, it's in North America that I've seen the best NIN gigs. The European ones always feel slightly weaker. Setlists are better, visuals are better. Same story since TF era. I wish I still lived there for Tension!

PS: so many countries never get to see NIN so I won't complain
    Last edited by Frydek; 06-06-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frydek View Post
    As to comparing US and European tours, it's in North America that I've seen the best NIN gigs. The European ones always feel slightly weaker. Setlists are better, visuals are better. Same story since TF era. I wish I still lived there for Tension!

PS: so many countries never get to see NIN so I won't complain
    Next time NIN tour in a few years hopefully, I think I'm going to persuade my family to go on holiday to Florida or New York that just happens to coincide with a few NIN shows.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Robin and Ally combined have played nearly every NIN song that has been played live. It's not that they can't be arsed, it's that they do not have infinite memory, and haven't rehearsed NIN's 200+ song catalogue. I guarantee even Trent couldn't play most instruments on some of those songs without checking things first.
    I get that. I'm NOT knocking anyone currently in NIN. All I'm saying is if Trent wanted to play certain songs live, then the band members would have to learn them or program them or whatever the fuck they need to do to make it happen. That's pretty much their job. Tori Amos plays something like 150+ different songs every tour she does, and even when she has a band with her there's still TONS of variety.

example: Trent's isn't neglecting to perform the Perfect Drug because Ilan has never heard it. He's not doing it because he doesn't want to do it. To blame his band members is, at the very least, insulting to their abilities and status in the band.