Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Killing Joke

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "Delete" is incredible. So is "Into the Unknown". I'm addicted to the entire album. A complete throw it on and just go crazy album. There's not a poor track on it. They just handed everyone their asses.
    Last edited by pulse; 10-24-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Am I the only one geeking out over this album? Come on now...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    You’re not the only one but I like some time to get an emotional bond with the album just like Night Time.
    It hits the right spot when I feel a certain mood for it or any of their albums for that matter.
    It takes me a while for any album or a particular song to grown on me.

For example, This world Hell, and New Uprising, really get me pumped up and those where the first songs to really capture my full attention when I first heard them.
    The entire album of Brighter Than a Thousand Suns makes me feel like I'm not alone when I'm feeling a bit down.
    I mean the songs Adorations and Sanity help me cope with looking at what’s wrong with the world as a whole.

Not many artists let alone a band play their music truthfully and with conviction. This is why I hold Killing Joke in high regard.
    Then there is The Raven King, that song to me has a lasting appeal and reminds me one of my favorite and most influential artist that has played in nearly every band that I care for.
    (Prong, Ministry, and the web of other artist that he worked with that led me to discover more amazing music).

I always have no expectations when I listen to a new Killing Joke album and try to let the music speak to me and see what the band intentions are and the meaning they try to portray.
    Sometimes it takes a little longer to fully comprehend and digest the music such as Pylon.
    So far Pylon is an incredible album but I don't want to get swayed by the hype and like to draw my own conclusions.

Edit: I completely forgot the reason I came to post here was to link this article, which is a short and really good interview with Jaz.
    http://www.teamrock.com/features/201...-jaz-coleman-1
    Last edited by ziltoid; 10-28-2015 at 09:34 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    and only two live bonus tracks of songs that have zero relation to the album proper.
    Live tracks? on the Pylon LP? IS this true? I thought it was Panopticon & snakedance only...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    But snakedance on the vinyl is the original song, right? lucky dog. That's exclusive, unlike that unlistenable dub remix of snakedance. be happy! You have PYLON on vinyl! I am jealous, but the lack of lyrics is silly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I was about to buy tickets for their show in Phoenix, but noticed that there's a meet-and-greet/soundcheck option for an extra $75. Worth it? Are they pretty chatty/cool guys?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Pylon is way more stunning and incredible than I ever thought it would be, I loved AD, MMXII wasn't too bad and had a load of belters but this one just tops them all. It's still kinda revealing its power to me after a lot of listens, but to produce something like this so far into their career is incredible. Apotheosis is so very Hosannas-esque in all the right ways. All the riffs are killer and there is a lot of weight to the album, truly brilliant.

I saw them at Manchester last weekend, and they brought it harder than bands half their age struggle to. I was a few pints deep, and Geordie's guitar onstage was just otherworldly. They also played Panopticon & Exorcism which made my evening.

Long Live The Joke.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I'm definitely happy and thankful that I'll hopefully get a chance to see Killing Joke for the second time on a Saturday night next year. I felt like I lucked out as the first Killing Joke concert I've attended was a Friday night. As for Pylon, I really don't have much to say or add right now as other posters have summed up my exact thoughts. Dare I say though, it seemed to click with me a lot faster than MMXII did.

I Am The Virus also seems to be their latest music video to date, and even though it's a lyric video, I'll still take it. Aside from it being Killing Joke, I've always liked lyric videos anyway, and heck, they're sometimes fun to sing along to.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    My boner for this band is raging right now. I've been listening to them pretty much daily for the past couple of months. Does anyone know where I can download/purchase digital copies of their 90's albums? They're not on iTunes/Apple Music, Amazon, Rdio, or any of the places that I normally visit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Jaz talking about various things.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    @NYRexall - Please pardon my ignorance as I'm still roughly new to Killing Joke. I forgot to ask this question earlier, but is Democracy hardly played anymore? (I was actually hoping to hear Prozac People and Pilgrimage on my first concert, but noticed that they didn't touch Democracy at all.) And if I'm not mistaken, is Outside the Gate the only Killing Joke album that sticks out like a sore thumb among The Gatherers?

As for calling the fan-base Gatherers, when did that actually come about?

I also like to sometimes make analogies when talking about certain bands, but as far as standing the test of time since the 1980s, would Killing Joke sort of be like the Deftones and would Ministry be like Korn? (This is more like a reverse analogy as you can see, but I thought you'd be the perfect person to ask as I've noticed that you also loved the Deftones.)

Would it also be safe to assume that there is a huge crossover between The Piss Army and The Gatherers?

As for a random Killing Joke thought, Money Is Not Our God really struck a nerve with me along with Age Of Greed. (Which I'm sure can also refer to the greed with in, which also ties in with gluttony.) Those songs really won me over as it's always thought-provoking to for me to be reminded of seeing just how money can be exactly like a god, especially after always seeing "In God we trust." on United States currency. I ended up chasing possessions and experiences a lot more than I should've and just forgot to live life and also took things for granted without even realizing it. And well, I'm still thankful and appreciative for what I've got, but those songs really reminded me to put such things into perspective in a sort of George Carlin/Bill Hicks sort of way. And with that being said, I also loved the video too.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 11-19-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    New music video!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    The Death and Resurrection Show: ILC Productions and Coffee Films present a feature length music documentary charting the turbulent, dramatic and often unbelievable journey of the British post-punk industrial legends Killing Joke. Through a barrage of music, video and deeply personal interviews shot across six continents over the last twelve years, the film traces three and a half decades of turbulent, chaotic history through both archive and new footage. From rituals at Stonehenge to worship on the Nazca Lines, recording sessions in the heart of the Great Pyramid and exploration of a parallel universe on an Icelandic glacier, and the search for a mysterious island that could survive the Tribulation: this is the definitive story of Killing Joke, and you’ve never heard anything else like it.

http://killingjokemovie.com/product/buy-the-deluxe-dvd/

Holy shit this is going to be f'n amazing. I can not wait to get my hands on it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ok bit of resurrection here but I skipped page 2 and I'm relatively new to these forums so what is anybody's favourite era of this band and care to elaborate? Been a personal favourite of mine for many years now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The Extremities, Dirt and Various Repressed Emotions through Pandemonium with Paul Raven had always been my favorite Killing Joke era; however, the past few albums have topped everything for me. The original lineup has been fire and on top of their game for a while now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In retrospect, this is kind of a tough decision because at times I also heavily enjoy their Post-Punk New Wave, early-to-mid 80s material as well. Love Like Blood, Nighttime, etc.; but I suppose nothing tops the newer stuff for me.

I apologize for clearly not being helpful at all here.
    Last edited by pulse; 04-18-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't mind the new stuff myself but I like all eras of the band. Extremities is probably my favourite. Night time, pandemonium and Absolute Dissent ater that, but I like all of it. I don't think the last couple have been as good as AD, but close in places. I wouldn't mind some sort of a shift in style with whatever comes next though as I sort of feel that the current sound has reached its logical conclusion.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My favorite is probably What's THIS For?! They only really have one bad album. And it's not really a KJ album.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's a hard choice. In a pinch I'd give it to the Night Time - Brighter Than A Thousand Suns period, but there's no denying most of their material is top-notch. Very few albums even come close to being bad, and yeah, Outside The Gate was just a Jaz Coleman solo album rebranded because record label bullshit so it barely counts.

Know what I think's an underrated album though? Democracy. It gets lost amidst everything else and I goddamn well love it.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Very few bands like Killing Joke out there anymore. Sometimes it's hard to be a fan with all the promies being made, yet they continue to release quality albums and their live shows are still amazing. Personally I cannot name a favorite, but I love the stuff from 2003 self titled onwards as much as I adore the "eighties" (literally) era. Too bad they don't play that stuff often apart from of course eighties and love like blood. Geordie Walker might easily be one of the most underrated guitar players out there.

But I do have to confess that I really have to be in the mood for KJ to fully appreciate them. Sometimes their albums are released and I couldn't care less, yet again there are times where they fully hit the nail on its head for me. Either way, I keep coming back to this band all the time and I always look forward to a new tour date near my area.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Killing Joke are celebrating their 40th anniversary this year with two editions of special career-spanning Fortieth Anniversary Ultimate Collection box sets. The first version is a set of 16 double CDs, including expanded editions of each of the band’s 15 albums, plus a collection of further bonus material, priced at $232. The vinyl edition includes 16 colored double LPs packaged in a flight case with a set of headphones and a signed lyric book, priced at $852.
    http://www.post-punk.com/killing-jok...rsary-box-set/
    It's a shame that the one really fantastic track off of MMXII "New Uprising" is nowhere to be seen on these releases.
    This is insanely overpriced and the shipping cost sounds like it's going to be very expensive.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    and love like blood.
    Such a perfect song can never be overplayed or performed.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Really tempted for the VIP package. But their last two attempts at touring the States ran into snags. Better make certain those packages are refundable if they cancel; but as the old saying goes, third time's a charm. Still, this could very well be the last opportunity to see one of the most iconic and important post-punk alternative acts of the last 40 years.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    No Canada dates. Shame. Still count myself crazy lucky I got to see them in 2012.

Also: where the hell is the Goodbye To The Village B-side from from BTATS?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    These are some small venues, they aimed bigger last time, maybe why they cancelled...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    These are some small venues, they aimed bigger last time, maybe why they cancelled...
    They claimed "health issues" within the band as reason for canceling the 2016 NA tour. No idea how that tour was selling; however, I do prefer the intimate setting with this band. It should be glorious and intense as it's the fucking Killing Joke!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oh my god, i can't wait to watch them live for the very first time!

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Oh my god, i can't wait to watch them live for the very first time!
    Same here, I got time to save up for it, might as well go big!
    I just gotta make sure I can get some of those dates off for work.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Anyone have an extra ticket for the SF show that happens next tuesday?