Page 29 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Things That Piss You Off - more bitching about your mom

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Late last year I was helping a buddy move a piano down his neighbor's stairs. There were four or five of us, and about halfway down, at the landing that separated the two sections of stairs, we realized that we couldn't maneuver the damn thing around to get it down the second half of the stairs, so we had to turn around and take it back up, right back to the exact same place it started. That fucker was heavy. I was waiting for it to slip and fall on one of us.

Edit: Oh, shit. I've had floaters in my eyes since forever (seriously, years and years) and I know they're usually benign. But tonight I actually have- twice- seen something I've never seen before- tiny little balls of light. They look exactly light floaters except, well, they're lights. Like seeing one or two little stars in my field of vision.

So I Google it (bad idea) and it seems like this could be an emergency and your retina could be detaching. Jesus. Maybe it's nothing. I have to be really careful, because I don't have insurance right now (or ANY MONEY) so I don't want to overreact and rush to a doctor and get stuck with a bill I can't afford if it's unnecessary. On the other hand, it could be something serious. It's never happened before, which makes me really nervous. If it continues, I'm going to an eye doctor. Fuck.

A retinal detachment is an urgent problem that requires medical attention within 24 hours of the first symptoms.
    Fuck.

Scratch eye doctor (it's the weekend). I might end up going to the E.R. tomorrow. Fuck fuck fuck.

Edit #2: Ok, this is kind of weird. I was reading an article over at The A.V. Club when it happened, and I literally had just gotten to this line when I saw it, stopped and Googled symptoms. "Barry Zuckerkorn sports an eyepatch during one scene of 'Queen For A Day.'" Irony FTW.
    Last edited by theruiner; 07-01-2012 at 03:43 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    They look exactly light floaters except, well, they're lights. Like seeing one or two little stars in my field of vision.
    In that case, it's probably not retinal detachment. If it was a sudden increase in floaters and flashes of light, then maybe. But you're not describing flashes of light, you're describing floating little stars. They are usually the result of sudden changes in the eye pressure (like standing up/sitting down, coughing, etc). This happens to me on occasion and it really looks like tiny stars doing a little dance and then disappearing.
    But of course, it's better to be safe than sorry, so have it checked out if you're worried.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Thank you for the info! Yeah, I did read specifically little spots of light (I think they even described it as 'stars' on the website I was on, too) were a symptom but after reading your post I checked the Mayo Clinic's website and Web MD and they're both saying 'flashes of light,' not what I was describing.

I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow. I won't hesitate to go to the doctor if I think it could be that, but at this point I'm a little less worried than I was.
    Last edited by theruiner; 07-01-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I took a drink of water just now before realizing there was a bug floating in it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I took a drink of water just now before realizing there was a bug floating in it.
    You're having a really lousy day eh.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    People who use FB to brag.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Yeah, that's what twitter is for.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "yesterday night"

I wrote that atrocity last night in the Pictures of your pet thread. When I did that, I had slept about four hours in the last 48.

I love you, insomnia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the info! Yeah, I did read specifically little spots of light (I think they even described it as 'stars' on the website I was on, too) were a symptom but after reading your post I checked the Mayo Clinic's website and Web MD and they're both saying 'flashes of light,' not what I was describing.

I'm going to see how it goes tomorrow. I won't hesitate to go to the doctor if I think it could be that, but at this point I'm a little less worried than I was.

Was reading this and I have the same problem, I first noticed it about 8-9 years ago. I see little floating lights, then I have to blink my eyelids a couple times and they are gone. Did you ever end up going to the doctor?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Ugh. I had the misfortune of stumbling onto an annoying conversation on another message board, including a few people who staunchly believe that once one gets married, they are never, ever to get a divorce and that if you do that there's something wrong with you and you should be severely punished and, my favorite (and I'm paraphrasing here), "Well, I'm a hopeless romantic and my girlfriend and I are going to be together 4evr and when we get married it'll be for the rest of our lives because we're going to make it work!" Yes. Except most people- especially young, inexperienced people (though not all young people are inexperienced, obviously, nor does being older mean the opposite, necessarily)- get into marriages swearing up and down that they'll be together forever "and ever and ever and EVER because I love my wife/husband and they're the most perfect OMG LOVE" except that half of those marriages end in divorce.

Jesus. Look, do what makes you happy, but don't sacrifice realism for idealism. People grow apart. It happens. Sometimes people don't and end up married for 50 years. But it seemed like these people were so completely hopelessly romantic that they had lost all sense of the way real life actually works and, worst of all, they were judging other people who didn't live up to their (oftentimes) impossible standard. Things are more complex than "I'm in love and we'll make it work." Maybe you will. Or maybe you won't. But you don't fucking know because you've never been, so instead of deciding that you're the best because YOU are going to be married forever and anyone whose marriage doesn't last is somehow an asshole, maybe take a step back, take off the rose-colored glasses and realize that life is way more complex than that, and getting a divorce doesn't make you a bad person.

Of course, I think this all goes back to societal brainwashing and this idea that there's only one kind of life and that's getting married and spitting out babies and everyone who's married will stay that way until death do you part and there's a lid for every pot and blah blah blah. I know I sound bitter, but it's really just irritating that so many people don't acknowledge that life isn't a fairy tale and things don't always work out the way you plan, and don't judge other people because they don't live out their lives EXACTLY as you do.

/rant

Edit: And, by the way, that's not a knock on people who get married and have kids. Good for you, if that's what makes you happy, that's awesome. I just get annoyed when people judge others because they're not living EXACTLY the way they're "supposed" to. I'm also annoyed by people who think they can predict the future and know with one hundred percent certainty that they'll still be happily married in 50 years. You can't know that. No one can. You can STRIVE for that, you can work toward that, and there's a good chance it will happen. But no one- no one- on this planet knows for sure. Not a single person. Life doesn't work like that. There are plenty of people who did "all the right things" and it still didn't work out. I guess that's what really annoyed me.
    Last edited by theruiner; 07-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Ya know, I looove doing things with my family, and our vacation's going great so far, but...There are deeefinitely reasons why I prefer going on trips by myself, or with 2-3 other people, as opposed to 8...Maybe someday in the future I'll come back myself!

Also, I feel like the only person in Washington D.C. who will smile at strangers or just in public. Not a creepy smile or a big stupid wave, just a casual smile. I know that they might just be being careful or cautious or annoyed with "tourists" or something, but I'm definitely not the kind of guy who looks shady or "tourist-y." Smiling back isn't gonna kill ya or anything, ya know?

At least a lot of the cute girls smile back! I'll take it.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It's so fucking hot right now. Any accidental movement and I'm sweating like a pig.
    It's 31C (88F).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Our government is planning to deport an Afghan man who's lived in Belgium for four years, because his proof that his asylum request as a political refugee was valid, arrived too late. If you're on Facebook, you can read about it and - if you want to - support him and his family here.
    It just pisses me off that a well integrated young man who has absolutely nothing to go back to but people who've already killed his family gets deported, while we're brining in Chinese and Indian IT'ers and Polish nurses because there aren't enough Belgians willing or able to do those jobs.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    A tourist walks into the hotel with his wife and the first thing out of his mouth is... "How?" (with hand raised in the air like a stereotypical Indian would). ....WTF? I looked at my assitant manager while the guy was walking to the desk and said "Really???" ... I had to go to the back office and laugh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I work in a supermarket and I have to say, customer service is infuriating. Alot of the public are incredibly ignorant and rude. I always say hello and generally be really polite and the amount of people who can't even manage a simple greeting is astounding. I end up sticking all their items through the till and (almost always) packing their bags and I'm lucky if I get so much as a hello. Theres a self service machine at the shop and I say if you're going to be an ungrateful prick you should do us all a favour and go do all the work yourself.

Anyone else here dead inside from working in customer service?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm too tired to go to work. Ugh, it's gonna be one of these days isn't it...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I have labyrinthitis. In both ears.

My life is awesome like that.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Double post because I fled the library right after this happened yesterday:
    So I'm sitting at an internet computer and this kid comes over; gangly Chinese kid, maybe 15. So first off, he goes to the station next to me (these computers are on a high counter, you gotta stand while using them), then leans over, staring at my monitor. I give him a glare and he backs off. I pay him no mind, he looks like he's "special needs".
    All of a sudden, and FORCEFULLY, it sounds like he's explosively shitting his pants, then he starts giggling quietly and saying "Who farted? Who farted?".

I held my breath, logged out and booked it. Parents, if your child is special needs, keep it under supervision.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    .....Fixer's story.....

.......okay......

EDIT: I couldn't think of anything to write until now... I hope his parents found him rather quickly and took him straight home.
    Last edited by REPLICA; 07-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Looking through my dad's record collection, I found a copy of New Order's album Brotherhood. I was excited to listen to it, but then, when I opened the sleeve, it wasn't in there. What was in there was the most horrific thing I could ever find. What was in there was: Gary Glitter.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Looking through my dad's record collection, I found a copy of New Order's album Brotherhood. I was excited to listen to it, but then, when I opened the sleeve, it wasn't in there. What was in there was the most horrific thing I could ever find. What was in there was: Gary Glitter.
    How funny would it be if your dad set that whole thing up as a prank?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    People who are older than me and treat the English language like a rented mule.

On a related note, people who say shit like "I don't have time to think about everything before I type it! Life's too short!" And you think I'm sitting over here making outlines and rough drafts of everything I post on...Facebook? Fuck off and read a book or something.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Part 1 -
    I bought a copy of TDTWWA on Vinyl from Amazon's third party sellers, and ensured it was "new" from the seller. It arrived today, clearly used and with some scratches. The entry from amazon from that seller is now gone and I hate going through the complaint and refund process.

Part 2 (a big thing that pisses me off) -
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

Do you get vertigo/dizziness? I can partially relate if so, I've had vertigo/dizziness problems for 9 years, and was slowly getting better with pre-January being its best. Then in January something happened and I'm "reset" back to where I was 9 years ago and I can't drive, walk for longer than 10 minutes or play video games again (was eventually able to after a couple of years). I'm not fit to live alone right now so I'm living with my dad. All these years and the doctors don't know what's causing it. The symptoms of Labyrinthitis sound really close to my problems. The last movie I saw in the theatre was American Wedding as I'm sensitive to visual stuff. Living like this is a bitch... and that movie sucked.
    Last edited by blassster; 07-11-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: reply to marodi

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    just got a call on the land line... it was around 2:30 am. The person acted like they were a police officer, and told me that someone who listed me as an emergency contact has been seriously injured and incarcerated. They listed off a bunch of numbers that I wrote down, and then told me to hit "flash" on my phone and then enter in a number. I said "wait, this sounds like bullshit." Suddenly this guy started calling me a "fucking bitch" and threatened me.

I'm so pissed off right now, I don't even know what to do, but I want to explore SOME way to do something about this.

Is there anyone out there who's even heard about this scam?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    just got a call on the land line... it was around 2:30 am. The person acted like they were a police officer, and told me that someone who listed me as an emergency contact has been seriously injured and incarcerated. They listed off a bunch of numbers that I wrote down, and then told me to hit "flash" on my phone and then enter in a number. I said "wait, this sounds like bullshit." Suddenly this guy started calling me a "fucking bitch" and threatened me.

I'm so pissed off right now, I don't even know what to do, but I want to explore SOME way to do something about this.

Is there anyone out there who's even heard about this scam?
    It's old school social engineering to get you to give them your dial tone to make calls, international calls.

I thought that shit went the way of the trimline phone and automated attendants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Myself and my mother when it comes to talking about my future and her future.
    I blame it on my laziness and lack of motivation when it comes to deciding what my next step in my life will be. My mother can easily remember the negative from past and present but easily forgets the positive from past and present.
    I should try to plan my next move i.e. new job, finding a place to live, finally learning to be independent. Embarrassing enough I am 29 and when it comes to arguments with my mother, my emotions and point of view are that of a 12 year old.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So a friend of mine seemed down today, and when I tried to show concern, they straight up told me that they didn't want to talk about it, and that they were honestly tired of talking to me. Wow. That may be honest, but that doesn't make it any less rude and selfish. I really don't know why I bother giving a shit about other people.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post

Part 2 (a big thing that pisses me off) -

Do you get vertigo/dizziness? I can partially relate if so, I've had vertigo/dizziness problems for 9 years, and was slowly getting better with pre-January being its best. Then in January something happened and I'm "reset" back to where I was 9 years ago and I can't drive, walk for longer than 10 minutes or play video games again (was eventually able to after a couple of years). I'm not fit to live alone right now so I'm living with my dad. All these years and the doctors don't know what's causing it. The symptoms of Labyrinthitis sound really close to my problems. The last movie I saw in the theatre was American Wedding as I'm sensitive to visual stuff. Living like this is a bitch... and that movie sucked.
    First, sorry about the late reply...

And yes, I get vertigo/dizziness BIG TIME. Last Wednesday and Thursday, I could not get up more than an hour at a time at best and I had to hold on to the walls while walking around my place. The dizziness was so bad that I kept throwing up. The last couple of days have been better though. Moving my eyes also get me dizzy. I also have a small case of tinnitus but it's not bothering me; it's more like white noise than anything else. And I do have a bit of hearing loss in the left ear.

However, there is something else that might be affecting you: have you ever been checked for an accoustic neuroma? The symptoms are similar to those of labyrinthitis. It may be another thing to investigate.

The very best of luck to you and I sincerely hope you'll feel better soon; it's really no way to live!

And what's pissing me off right now:

THE GODDAMN HEAT WAVE. I HATE YOU, HEAT; SO FUCKING MUCH!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    "If you have haters, that just means you're doing something right."

Yeah. Child molesters and rapists and serial murderers get a lot of hate, so they must be on the right track.