Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Slowdive

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Just saw them last night in Columbus. Excellent stuff, as expected, though I drank too much beer.

Cherry Glazer was a cool opener!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I just discovered them, they just were in Glastonbury and i was hooked with them, i already know a couple of songs but i want to get more into them, which album do you recommend?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I just discovered them, they just were in Glastonbury and i was hooked with them, i already know a couple of songs but i want to get more into them, which album do you recommend?
    Souvlaki or Self Titled

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i'm of the minority who thinks just for a day is their masterpiece, but you can't go wrong with those recommendations ^. the early EP tracks are also crucial.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Souvlaki or Self Titled
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    i'm of the minority who thinks just for a day is their masterpiece, but you can't go wrong with those recommendations ^. the early EP tracks are also crucial.
    Will check all of them, just saw an "Album classics" on Amazon, already ordered!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Self Titled is one of my favourite records of all time. Much more so that they came back after so long and produced such a deep, stunning body of work.

Saw their Glasto set on Sunday and it had me welling up at times. I've luckily managed to bag tickets to see them later this years so can't wait.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    VERY nice.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New album is amazing. Might even be better than S/T.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Pretty solid album, although I still prefer S/T. That's a really hard album to beat though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Pretty solid album, although I still prefer S/T. That's a really hard album to beat though.
    Yeah S/T is the greatest band revival album I've ever heard,personally speaking.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Yeah S/T is the greatest band revival album I've ever heard,personally speaking.
    That distinction goes to HUM's "Inlet" for me, personally. So sad that they never got to tour for it, too.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Spending the weekend absorbing the new record, so far a very different animal than S/T which itself goes down as one of my favourite albums of all time. I really welcome the addition of electronic elements this time round, ‘shanty’ is absolutely colossal, and although weirdly placed as track 2, ‘prayer remembered’ is just all the things I love distilled musically into a beautiful piece.

Super hyped now for the Halloween gig, and it seems they’ve announced another UK tour for early next year which I hope to attend too.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I like the new album, but it hasn't blown my mind yet. Might take a couple more listens

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I am liking Everything Is Alive but not loving it. There’s no “No Longer Making Time” level song found here but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it. I very much do. And I can’t wait to see them next month and hopefully hear some of the new songs live.

Maybe it’s just that S/T was so damn good. I don’t know.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    S/T was so damn good. I don’t know.
    The self titled album is the best Slowdive album. It's amazing

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    The self titled album is the best Slowdive album. It's amazing
    Umm, Souvlaki wants a word with you...

But yeah, I love s/t too. Falling Ashes? One of my favorite tracks of the last decade. I like how everyone in this thread is mentioning different tracks from it. That's the mark of a great album isn't it?

I have not heard this new record yet but hopefully I can soon. I'm not going to listen to a Slowdive album casually the first time I hear it though so I gotta make time for it. They are one of those bands that I genuinely love every single record they make.

Come to think of it, a couple weeks ago I was trying to tell a friend of mine that Souvlaki is, in fact, the best shoegaze record of all time and not Loveless. Yeah, Loveless is the bigger cultural touchstone, and might have the best track of shoegaze with "Sometimes." But I think I'll take the album with Sing, Here She Comes, Souvlaki Space Station, and Dagger for the win please.

And don't even get me started on Neil Halstead's Palindrome Hunches solo record from 2012. It's a perfect record.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Umm, Souvlaki wants a word with you...
    My favorite still goes to the Self Titled. Nobody's gonna deny how great Souvlaki is, least of all me.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I'm one of those Just For a Day guys, for me it was the first I heard, and super formative for me in college. Otherwise, I think they have a perfect discography...

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Drab Majesty have been announced as the opener for a good amount of the US dates.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Drab Majesty have been announced as the opener for a good amount of the US dates.
    Oh man, now I'm definitely going to have to make it to a show.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Ok, so after a couple of listens, this is yet another great record. Slowdive seems to be on my shortlist of bands that can't seem to make a bad record.

This one feels a bit like Pygmalion and a bit like S/T while also doing it's own thing. It doesn't feel as immediate or poppy as S/T did but I think this thing is going to hold up really well to repeat listening. Already caught much more the second time around. Really like the textures on this record.

And other's have already mentioned stand out tracks. But I'll just say, Andalucia Plays anyone? Is it just me? lol

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So I've sat with the record some more and had repeated plays and I've realized the only thing that stops it from being near enough on par with S/T is the sheer amount of fade outs - it kinda kills things a bit for me when a few tracks (Shanty & The Slab especially) could be left to develop a bit more. I suppose it's a good thing that I get into the music that much that I simply don't want it to stop, but I really feel they overly-fade out quite a bit on this record.

Prayer Remembered could do with a bit more building up too, Golden Hair style - but it goes out a little mildly.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    “Chained to a cloud” and “The Slab” are the stand outs to me. I really like “Andalucia Plays” and “Shanty” as well.
    Last edited by Swykk; 09-07-2023 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I never really listened to Slowdive, but "Skin in the Game" is immediately in my top songs of the year. Is Souvlaki where I start?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    I never really listened to Slowdive, but "Skin in the Game" is immediately in my top songs of the year. Is Souvlaki where I start?
    Safe bet

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    So I've sat with the record some more and had repeated plays and I've realized the only thing that stops it from being near enough on par with S/T is the sheer amount of fade outs - it kinda kills things a bit for me when a few tracks (Shanty & The Slab especially) could be left to develop a bit more. I suppose it's a good thing that I get into the music that much that I simply don't want it to stop, but I really feel they overly-fade out quite a bit on this record.

Prayer Remembered could do with a bit more building up too, Golden Hair style - but it goes out a little mildly.
    I used to feel the exact same way you do about fade outs in general. I thought it was lazy or overused. A lot of older music has it in spades. Bowie definitely used it a lot I think. I've since completely changed my mind on it. Sometimes hearing a track come to a complete stop, even softly, actually seems to change the meaning of the music somehow. And it for sure affects the pacing of an album. Of course, it can be misused, so maybe you are right after all but it didn't stop me from enjoying the music on any of my listens.

I do agree with you 100% in regards to Prayer Remembered. And above, you mentioned it is oddly placed at track 2 and I agree completely. If anything, it's kind of a perfect closer. Like, if I had any say in the sequencing I would have simply slid it down to being the last track as I don't really like The Slab as a closer even though I do really dig the track itself. Those are of course just nit picks at the end of the day and Slowdive still fucking rules.

Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    If I had never heard anything by them I would for sure start with Souvlaki. "Machine Gun" from Souvlaki actually reminds me a little of "Skin in the Game" for example. I think they have a similar groove, just with Machine Gun being a bit slower.

Then I'd probably check out S/T as I think that is the more accessible record post-reunion, in the same way Souvlaki is the more immediate of their three early records.

I'd also highly recommend Blue Day. It isn't an official record but rather a compilation of their early EP's, but I consider it pretty essential.

Just make sure you are ready to chill out when you put on Slowdive. It's physically impossible to listen to them without becoming calm and relaxed.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 09-07-2023 at 11:51 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This new album is fantastic, one of my favorites of 2023. I have a few of their albums but haven't listened to them in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

Just make sure you are ready to chill out when you put on Slowdive. It's physically impossible to listen to them without becoming calm and relaxed.
    Goes good with a few edibles.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    https://threequarterskies.bandcamp.com/track/on-fire

New track from a forthcoming album by Simon Scott. This has blown my mind tonight - absolutely new and fresh, ready to pre order the album.

We've really been blessed by these guys this year. Got tickets to both UK tours booked and cannot wait.