Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mark Lanegan

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I have my doubts that Liam bailing out has something to do with Lanegan at least not entirely. Noel left them hanging on an earlier US tour as well. Common thing with these brothers... Still nice information has I had no clue that the Screaming Trees were opening for Oasis neither did I think I'd ever picture Mark and Liam in the same room. Needless to say they were both "uptight junkies" back then.

And of course this is nice PR with lots of people now wondering who "that lannegn guy is"...

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Liam just decimated Lanegan on twitter calling him an "uptight junkie"......Liam left the 96 tour because he was fighting with Noel and also had visa issues. Not to bail out of a fight with Lanegan. I think Mark is trying to hawk his book

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Mark did not mention anything in the book about Liam quitting the tour about a fight. He said Liam quit the tour because he quit Oasis. Media is running wild with false information. Mark said nothing about Liam leaving the tour was because he was scared of Mark...wasn't the case at all.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Last time I saw Mark was opening for Nick Cave. He was great & came out with Nick to do the Blixa Bargeld vocal on "Weeping Song". Would love a tape of that but haven't found one. Mark only opened a small part of the tour. I also saw the last Screaming Trees show. They got back together as a one off when the EMP opened in Seattle. I always loved that band.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    This might be a controversial opinion... I like the albums that Mark did with Duke Garwood better than his regular solo output from recent years.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    This might be a controversial opinion... I like the albums that Mark did with Duke Garwood better than his regular solo output from recent years.
    Same here, starting with "Phantom Radio" I'm not too keen on his solo records, but like I said earlier, there a handfull of gems on every release ever since. The whole kraut-rocky thing doesn't do too much for me and I prefer Lanegan a little darker. So those two Duke Garwood records were stellar and so was that "Houston Publishing Demos" piece a few years back.

The new record shapes up to be a little bit more up my ally again though. But in the end, Lanegan has such a huge back catalogue to play live from that I'll go and see him live whenever I get the chance to! Even the imho too synth-heavy songs flow nicely with the set of older songs as his band is pretty tight these days.

If you guys get the chance to hunt down one bootleg of his, than I can only recommend this one. It's pretty much my most played Lanegan record since I got it 10 years ago and I play it ever since once in a while. Great sound, perfect setlist and only his voice accompanied with a semi-acoustic guitar:

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I'm partial to the stuff he did with Isobel Campbell. Lovely stuff & they sound great together.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Gary Lee Conner posted this on Facebook:

A COMMENT ON MARK LANEGAN'S MEMOIR FROM GARY LEE CONNER
    Mark Lanegan was in the Screaming Trees and it was a combination of us all that made it great. We did not ever get along like friends and sometimes it felt like we were enemies but we did work together. We all had mental and personal problems but somehow we managed to get around them to create a musical legacy that I am very proud of and that still seems to have many fans. Mark took the songs Van and I wrote and helped elevate them lyrically and vocally to a higher level. The sum total of us was a gestalt called Screaming Trees. Since the FaceBook group and page are band sites I will always post stuff about him as well as the other members.
    I have only read a few pages of the book ( there is no way I could take more) and while many of the facts may be accurate, it is delivered with a venom that is perplexing. I moved far, far past all my problems and confrontations with Mark many years ago and airing all this now, after half a lifetime, in a very public forum, seems vicious and petty. I had one conversation on the phone in the last 18 years with Mark and in was very cordial. Any history between the two of us ended when the band did, in the year 2000.
    I am not one to rest on my laurels and will continue making new music as I have been. However, I still love the of the music that the Screaming Trees made from the beginning to the end of our career. I am also humbled by the amount of support and enthusiasm from fans of the band and my solo music, thanks to you all. I will continue to celebrate our music with you for the rest of my life. ..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like the new album, but kind of wish he'd start to ditch the keyboards.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I like the new album, too. His last three under the Mark Lanegan Band umbrella have really resonated with me. I dig just about everything he does, no matter who it's with, and never have a problem getting into it, keyboards or not..

That being said..

Based on his memoir, accounts from his colleagues over the years, and just doing the general math, it strikes me that this dude is rather difficult to put up with on a personal level. Ironic since he's currently bickering with another legendary egomaniac like Liam Gallagher. I know Mark right pissed off Isobel Campbell by using her touring band members for his own solo shows without her consent, which ended their collaborations. It's frustrating that he and Greg Dulli made that amazing Gutter Twins album a dozen years ago and never did another. And you have to wonder why he only made two albums with QOTSA while he was a full-fledged member, before moving on. Same with the Soulsavers..

Granted, I can only believe what I choose to based on what I read. But listen to his words and read his memoir and hear what his former colleagues say and it's not hard to discern that he's likely a royal pain in the ass to be around..

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Well, there's a reason the press contact replied to my interview inquiry 2 years ago with: "Are you sure you want to have an interview with him?"

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    He and Greg Dulli are still really close friends (if I'm not mistaken, Dulli either contributes or has done backing vocals on some of Mark's recent solo records). I think some of Isobel's backing band was more interested in touring with Mark than with Isobel. He's still cool with Josh Homme.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I like the new album, too. His last three under the Mark Lanegan Band umbrella have really resonated with me. I dig just about everything he does, no matter who it's with, and never have a problem getting into it, keyboards or not..

That being said..

Based on his memoir, accounts from his colleagues over the years, and just doing the general math, it strikes me that this dude is rather difficult to put up with on a personal level. Ironic since he's currently bickering with another legendary egomaniac like Liam Gallagher. I know Mark right pissed off Isobel Campbell by using her touring band members for his own solo shows without her consent, which ended their collaborations. It's frustrating that he and Greg Dulli made that amazing Gutter Twins album a dozen years ago and never did another. And you have to wonder why he only made two albums with QOTSA while he was a full-fledged member, before moving on. Same with the Soulsavers..

Granted, I can only believe what I choose to based on what I read. But listen to his words and read his memoir and hear what his former colleagues say and it's not hard to discern that he's likely a royal pain in the ass to be around..
    Great artists are often difficult, no?

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Considering this I wouldn't want to spend much time with Dulli and Homme in a room either on a personal level...

Guess Mark is just Mark and if you take a good look at him you already now that this won't be the most easy and light hearted encounter. Personally I met him a couple of times and he struck me as very humble, but quiet. During our interview we had two years ago with Duke Garwood in the room as well he was quite stand off'ish although he obviously recognized me. (The label guys actually warned me not to ask anything about Cobain, QOTSA and the Trees otherwise Mark would leave the room which he apparently already did according to the tour manager). Last winter Mark remembered the talk we had and thanked me for that, yet I thought that was one of the unpleasant encounters I had with an artist. Duke actually was the saving grace that day being very charming and kind of breaking through Mark's reserve as they indeed have good chemistry. In the end Lanegan seemed very unwell on that day if I look at it again, coughing alot, spitting behind the tour bus. Guess if he's having a bad day he really lets it show.

But I couldn't care less in the end, I will always love his music and will buy tickets to every show I can go to!

Slowly getting into the book and listening to the audio book while reading along and so far I like it. He manages to keep me interested and I have to say that the release of "Straight Songs of Sorrow" helps a great deal to really dive into it. Together with "With Animals" this might be my favorite Mark Lanegan release since "Blues Funeral" and the "Houston: Publishing Demos 2002".

And then there's this song that I absolutely adore. Wish it was longer though:

Last edited by dlb; 05-13-2020 at 04:02 AM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I like the new record. Some very nice Warren Ellis violin work in there. I read an excerpt from the book (forget which site) about the Big Day Out tour. It was really bleak. I'm interested but don't know if I'm up for a whole book of that at the present time. Depressing times! Maybe I'll read it after society evens out some.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post

Guess Mark is just Mark and if you take a good look at him you already now that this won't be the most easy and light hearted encounter. Personally I met him a couple of times and he struck me as very humble, but quiet. During our interview we had two years ago with Duke Garwood in the room as well he was quite stand off'ish although he obviously recognized me. (The label guys actually warned me not to ask anything about Cobain, QOTSA and the Trees otherwise Mark would leave the room which he apparently already did according to the tour manager). Last winter Mark remembered the talk we had and thanked me for that, yet I thought that was one of the unpleasant encounters I had with an artist.
    "Musicians...."

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I like the new record. Some very nice Warren Ellis violin work in there. I read an excerpt from the book (forget which site) about the Big Day Out tour. It was really bleak. I'm interested but don't know if I'm up for a whole book of that at the present time. Depressing times! Maybe I'll read it after society evens out some.
    The book is very dark at times. A lot of the time actually. It can get you in a bad headspace if you're not prepared. Heck, even if you are prepared. It certainly did so for me.

He's seemed to lightened up in the past year or so with interviews, even light hearted and friendly and a bunch of laughing. Could be his new wife?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks like Mark Lanegan is ready to make peace with Liam Gallagher. He says that his feelings in his book are from his perceptive 24 years ago.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Looks like Mark Lanegan is ready to make peace with Liam Gallagher. He says that his feelings in his book are from his perceptive 24 years ago.

Why would he want to do that?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Why would he want to do that?
    Because Liam sells 10 times the amount of albums and can book stadiums and Mark probably needs another opening slot riding Liams jock like he did in 96

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Because Liam sells 10 times the amount of albums and can book stadiums and Mark probably needs another opening slot riding Liams jock like he did in 96
    Liam Gallagher plays stadiums? Last time he came to Boston he played The House of Blues which holds 2,500 people. The only way he plays stadiums is if there is an Oasis reunion, and that would be only in certain markets, like the U.K.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    He's still playing the game very good, selling out alot of his shows (at least in Europe), became a social media star somewhat, not taking himself too serious anymore and he can't complain about record sales these days (fastest-selling vinyl album of 2019). If you like him or not, that's a whole different story, but he's surely not dependent on anybody right now even without an Oasis reunion which of course would blow the roofs off money-wise.

Back to Lanegan, can anyone picture him doing a tour on the book? Reading chapters and maybe performing some of the new songs accordingly? I'd pay good money to see that.

I was also very much interested in attending this sort of two day festival in Belgium curated by him. Would have happened last week:

https://www.abconcerts.be/en/agenda/...-guests/21465/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just finished Sing Backwards and Weep. Woah, what an intense and engrossing read. I'm shocked Mark came out of the other side of everything alive! His writing style is so awesomely descriptive, he didn't hold back about detailing his experiences with drugs, everyone he knew through music, and his life leading up to the Screaming Trees. It was cool to read about his experiences with Kurt and meeting Josh for the first time too. Now I wanna listen to his stuff and all the Screaming Trees records I haven't got around to checking out yet!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    We're lucky to have Mark still with us.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm gutted.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Extremely devastated by this. My all time favorite singer... Farewell Mark, it's been one hell of a ride! I haven't missed one show since 2010 in Munich or Hamburg. Always a pleasure to shake hands, talk for a little bit and hear stories.

EDIT: Took some time to truly believe it last night, but as time went by I'm heartbroken yet grateful for the memories and the music. Had an absolutely terrible interview with him a few years ago for which he apologized eventually the last time I saw him. Oh man... My favorite memory: Standing in a parking lot in Cologne, he was having a can of Red Bull, I was having a beer, both of us just stood there before the show, not one word spoken. I quite enjoyed that moment given that most "band encounters" are quite loud and full of superficial behaviour.
    Last edited by dlb; 02-23-2022 at 04:35 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Saw Lanegan a few times over the years. One of the best, most underrated singers of the grunge genre and an underrated artist in general. I can't believe this.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    can't say this is totally surprising considering the life he's lived but nonetheless extremely sad and untimely, he was still releasing great diverse music and seemed like a true artist.
    It felt like he could go on forever like that. sadly not, another grunge hero who died too early and this fucking sucks. RIP great man.