Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I remember Alan Wilder (Recoil) answering about the original The Fragile, wonder what he'd think about 4 LP version? :-) http://oldsite.recoil.co.uk/forum/qa/gother6.htm

"I have heard 'The Fragile' a few times now and it is growing on me. As an outsider it's clear to me that there was a dilemma about whether to cut it down to a single LP or take the more bold and somewhat risky step of releasing a double. Obviously, a lot of effort went into making it and it would have been very difficult to shelve so much work but personally I would have edited it down to a very strong single album. Having said that, I like the way it breaths and takes it's time to evolve and seep into your consciouness. Generally, I like the moments that don't sound like previous NIN - the quieter, atmospheric sections that feature more adventurous sounds. Despite it's drawbacks, still a vastly superior record to most others released these days."

Edit: I renamed and un-tagged "Was it worth it?" and offered listen a few coworkers, got them curious and things like Shazam don't know it, cool. :-)
    Last edited by Substance242; 01-02-2017 at 05:37 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I really wonder what will follow. Will these Deviations be like a one-shot "Ghosts" and no other similar release, could there be a Fragile Deviations 2, a.k.a. Bowie experiments with Mike Garson (I just crave for the idea of it since Mike Garson told about these sessions where most material got rejected for its "Bowieness"), or, last hypothesis, will we have a WT Deviations, YZ...?

I consider there can't be any Deviations priori to TF era since the remix halos, singles, covered almost everything then, plus TDS Deluxe Edition which fills up that era.
    Last edited by totom; 01-02-2017 at 05:15 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I am really into this The Fragile: Deviations 1 release there are so many things on there I have never heard before that is on the original release plus there are plenty of new things added on the Deviations.
    I apologize if this has already been mentioned but at 32 pages this thread is way too long to read through has anybody noticed on The Big Come Down on Deviations at about 3:17(actually it starts sooner then that at about 3:05) that they added in a crowd cheering sample?
    The funny thing with Deviations is I hear something on Deviations then go back to the original to listen if it was on the original track then go back to Deviations.
    I really love Deviations but I can't stop comparing it to the original and The March is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    This very well may have been mentioned before and if so, I apologize.

Trent - "When a track from Deviations says (Instrumental), that's because at some point that track had vocals on it. Those could be finished, a demo or just an outline."

Track listing - Ripe (With Decay) (Instrumental)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Huh I just realized that not all of my files unzipped, so I never heard Was it Worth It? till just now. I swear I've heard this before, it's driving me nuts trying to think of what it reminds me of.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Even though I think the answer is "yes," I still think including a song called "Was it Worth It?" on an $80 album was a mistake. It's instrumental. He could say it's called whatever he wants.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    God damn "Last Heard From" is so musically interesting! And then listening to the instrumental version of I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally makes me just think "how did someone record something as complex as this?" - Seriously so many layers to ILFTJY,F that I'd never noticed before.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    This very well may have been mentioned before and if so, I apologize.

Trent - "When a track from Deviations says (Instrumental), that's because at some point that track had vocals on it. Those could be finished, a demo or just an outline."

Track listing - Ripe (With Decay) (Instrumental)
    While I'd love there to be a vocal version lying about somewhere, I think this one may be an exception.

I mean, Underneath It All is listed as (instrumental) but you clearly hear Trent say "alllllll..." at the beginning and the "all I do I can still feel you" part at the end.
    Last edited by Ryan; 01-03-2017 at 06:40 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wouldn't think it would be good to listen to an instrumental version, but this is actually fun! Better than most of their soundtracks (not a very fair statement though)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    I remember Alan Wilder (Recoil) answering about the original The Fragile, wonder what he'd think about 4 LP version? :-) http://oldsite.recoil.co.uk/forum/qa/gother6.htm

"I have heard 'The Fragile' a few times now and it is growing on me. As an outsider it's clear to me that there was a dilemma about whether to cut it down to a single LP or take the more bold and somewhat risky step of releasing a double. Obviously, a lot of effort went into making it and it would have been very difficult to shelve so much work but personally I would have edited it down to a very strong single album. Having said that, I like the way it breaths and takes it's time to evolve and seep into your consciouness. Generally, I like the moments that don't sound like previous NIN - the quieter, atmospheric sections that feature more adventurous sounds. Despite it's drawbacks, still a vastly superior record to most others released these days."

Edit: I renamed and un-tagged "Was it worth it?" and offered listen a few coworkers, got them curious and things like Shazam don't know it, cool. :-)
    Very cool that he commented on it. Although, I would say he's more widely known for Depeche Mode than Recoil :P

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

OH HELL NO IM FIGHTING DONT EVEN FUCKING THINK ABOUT IT ASSHOLES

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post

uh, they're blocking it because you MONETIZED SOMETHING YOU DON'T OWN which was a total dick move of you, and you've been called out for before by other people

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post

Is what they said

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    ok one thing, im not sure if they are real companies, 2 im not making any money off it, it was already watched by other people and 3 why arnt all my other videos like this then?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    uh, they're blocking it because you MONETIZED SOMETHING YOU DON'T OWN which was a total dick move of you, and you've been called out for before by other people
    To be fair, it says "Monetized by claimant" and I'm pretty sure that's Kobalt Music Publishing in this case.

From this article:

One of Kobalt’s secret weapons in the streaming war is the proprietary software that runs ProKlaim, an online music-detection technology that sniffs out unclaimed songs in the wild west of user-generated videos on YouTube. Kobalt’s program now identifies -- and monetises -- up to 1.5 billion video plays per month on the platform. Every day, data identifiers for 400,000 copyrights are programmed into ProKlaim. The algorithm then searches YouTube’s database for matches. If it detects any commercial matches -- an advertising agency using a tune without permission, for example -- Kobalt goes after those responsible. If it’s a fan video, YouTube often pays up. The software is so effective that it tags up to 1.5 million new videos every month.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    i have no intrest in making any money of videos and in any case, any money off something that isnt mine.

all other videos that arnt mine are monetized by their respected owner, so im not making any money in the first place, and i expect it, i dotn want the money anyways

also im sure Trent doesnt care about a minute long video of me isolating the vocals on TDTWWA.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Anyone else think 80 bucks is a little much? I'm not bitching or anything and I bought it right away, but I think 50 max would be more acceptable. Yes it's 4 vinyls and yes it's limited edition, but I've gotten limited edition vinyl before that's been only 300 copies instead of 3000 and they were only like 30$. Plus they were colored vinyls.

idk. I love the record, I just feel like whoever choose the price might be taking advantage of how much hardcores love The Fragile. Cuz let's be real. For some of us there almost isn't a price we wouldn't pay for something like this. And I thought Trent liked providing affordable music when he can.

All i I know is this is the most I've ever paid for a record.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    4 LPs, supposedly the packaging is heavy as shit implying a lot of high quality art and materials, lots of remastering/reworking going on ... I don't know, the limited nature of it along with all the work necessary and size of the thing makes it seem very reasonable to me. At 2 1/2 hours, if I pay 30-40 dollars for an hour long album, I can easily justify it being double that price even without all the special things involved in it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ok, i'm just curious, did you guys get the audio download files once you purchased the vinyl?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by InsecureSpike View Post
    ok, i'm just curious, did you guys get the audio download files once you purchased the vinyl?
    You haven't been here for the last couple of weeks, have you?

There was this huge buzz about people not recieving their download links. The shop system simply doesn't seem to work—at least not the way it should. You should take a look at this thread and maybe submit a request. It took more than a week until I recieved all of my links.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    You haven't been here for the last couple of weeks, have you?

There was this huge buzz about people not recieving their download links. The shop system simply doesn't seem to work—at least not the way it should. You should take a look at this thread and maybe submit a request. It took more than a week until I recieved all of my links.
    oh awesome! thank you for pointing me in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corona Radiata View Post
    Anyone else think 80 bucks is a little much?
    I'd like to have paid $80. I paid £80 which is nearer $100. The UK store prices are much higher, but they factor in 20% sales tax whereas I suppose the US store does not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    4 LPs, supposedly the packaging is heavy as shit implying a lot of high quality art and materials, lots of remastering/reworking going on ... I don't know, the limited nature of it along with all the work necessary and size of the thing makes it seem very reasonable to me. At 2 1/2 hours, if I pay 30-40 dollars for an hour long album, I can easily justify it being double that price even without all the special things involved in it.
    I just hope it isn't a lazy packaging like Ghosts was. It was a regular gatefold cover for 2LP, 4LPs stuffed into it. Realy hope Deviations /and also Fragile reissue, for that matter/ is something special, maybe a thick spined, foldout thing...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Huh I just realized that not all of my files unzipped, so I never heard Was it Worth It? till just now. I swear I've heard this before, it's driving me nuts trying to think of what it reminds me of.
    Sex dwarf from Closure's extra content.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    One of the things I miss from the CD version of The Fragile, which isn't present on either Deviations or the Definitive Edition, is the crossfade between Even Deeper and Pilgrimage. Obviously there's not much to be done on the DE side, since the tracking is limited by vinyl space, but IMO it's a shame we didn't get a crossfade here on Deviations.

Of course, that kind of crossfade does make it more difficult to isolate songs, so I'm guessing that's at least one reason why it wasn't put that way. Anyone who's put together a mixtape or mix CD knows that crossfades can be annoying.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Several years back I posted this to the ETS of yore. I just rediscovered it my "misc" folder. I'm still holding out for a surround mix of The Fragile, but alas I don't think we're getting a Holy Shit Edition any more...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I still want a surround version

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    We know one exists because Alan Moulder mentioned mixing it a couple of years ago. Whether we will ever see it is another question.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheddamash View Post
    I'm still holding out for a surround mix of The Fragile, but alas I don't think we're getting a Holy Shit Edition any more...
    Actually, when I first saw the announcement of Deviations 1 I thought the deluxe version of the Fragile was probably not going to happen, but after actually buying and listening to it I makes me feel like it is MORE likely a deluxe version will be released. I think deviations is just a handful of the 40 or so tracks Trent mentioned a while back. Not unreleased songs, but just bits and pieces of music that were left over from those sessions. I still get the impression there is a bunch of fully fleshed out music to be released and this stuff just didn't fit in that type or release.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else missing some of the flow of the original which was taken out by extended intros/outros, alternate versions and additional instrumentals? It doesn't take anything away from its awesomeness, but "One Way To Get There" after "Pilgrimage", for example, just doesn't really feel right.