Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Placebo

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    anyone else get the e-mail today about a 90-minute "live tv show" to debut the album?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    OLD NEWS :P

Yeah, it's their weakest album. I've just finished my first listen

Best tracks: Bosco, Begin The End, Exit Wounds (holy NIN tribute song with references to Brick Shithouse)
    Worst: Too Many Friends, Purify (generic "fast" track), A Million Little Pieces (the last 30 seconds are good and it's not bad musically, but the lyrics are atrocious)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can someone please point me in the right direction of the leak, I can't seem to find it :/
    EDIT: thanks Slave2thewage.

First Listen over, there's some good stuff here (Dare I say it's all good... Musically. It's the lyrics that let it down)

I can't help but think that between this and the B3 EP there could've been a single solid album.
    Last edited by [Shep]; 09-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    "Please do not post on our forum about an album that you have obtained illegally.

thank you."

LOLOLOL. I forgot how awful the Placebo forums were. Especially THAT MOD.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Shep] View Post
    First Listen over, there's some good stuff here (Dare I say it's all good... Musically. It's the lyrics that let it down)

I can't help but think that between this and the B3 EP there could've been a single solid album.
    The lyrics are by far the biggest problem with this album. Bosco might be my favourite song of theirs ever, lyrically. It's poignant but not too melodramatic.

A Million Little Pieces and Hold On To Me are destroyed by those lyrics, though. I might make up a playlist combining the album and B3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I might make up a playlist combining the album and B3.
    I've done just that, just can't quite decide on a track order

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I also want to add tracks 9 and 10 from Loud Like Love to B3EP and pretend that's the real album.

Aside from that, this is easily Placebo's Slip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually like loud like love and scene of the crime. It's just that middle section of the album I think is wasted potential

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm kind of diggin it.

Loud Like Love - 3/5
    Scene of the Crime - 4.5/5
    Too Many Friends - 2/5 (instrumental - 4/5)
    Hold on to Me - 4.5/5 (instrumentation reminds me of early 90's Cure)
    Rob the Bank - 2.5/5
    A Million Little Pieces - 4.75/5 (Should've been on the Cruel Intentions soundtrack & hate me for it but I LOVE this track)
    Exit Wounds - 3.75/5
    Purify - 2.5/5
    Begin the End - 3/5
    Bosco - 4/5 (Gorgeous ending)

As far as the lyrics are concerned, its a real shame that they are so generic and down right cheesey considering Brian is such an eloquently spoken person. The entire album sounds very 90's to me for some reason, which I love.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm still laughing over the blatant NIN influence on Exit Wounds.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just so you guys know, if ETS still had thread subtitles, this one's would've been changed to "Album #7: Placebo covers The Slip".

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I heard the album and i gotta say it's a solid-average Placebo release...
    I agree that the lyrics are the main "weakness" of the album, yet the disc is filled with good musical "moments" (i'll say this album has mostly "moments" than " full songs").

In a way they are becoming like AC/DC, Muse or Ministry (recording the same album with better production), even "Bosco" (That is one of my favorites...) is very similar to "Kings of Medicine" (or the lyrics of "Because i want you"), i can hear the "nod" to NIN or even Depeche Mode and even though their electronic experiments are mostly forgettable i do think it's something they are incorporating to sound a bit more "current"; ok album... 6.5/10
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 09-08-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Am I the only person that likes Too Many Friends? I recognise everyones problems with it and they're all valid points but something about it makes me smile. I haven't heard the whole album yet but if every song can make me smirk a bit it'll be cool. I'm not expecting anything amazing

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Figured out what the music of Bosco reminds me of: the piano version of This Picture mixed with Closing Time by Semisonic. Seriously, I recognized the chord progressions at the "You know I'm grateful" verse as being lifted from something from the 90s.

EDIT: Lyrics transcribed by ear since I'm bored
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/.../LLLlyrics.doc
    Last edited by slave2thewage; 09-08-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just so you guys know, if ETS still had thread subtitles, this one's would've been changed to "Album #7: Placebo covers The Slip".
    I just dont hear it... And Exit Wounds doesnt remind me of NIN except for the digital glitchyness but Placebo has done that before.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I hear Burn and Sunspots in Exit Wounds, but maybe that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just couldn't listen the album from the beginning to the end. Got bored with it after the 4th song.

That Placebo forum's reaction is so funny. Their reaction because the album leaked. Like it's the end of the world and it never happened before to anybody.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The forum thing is apparently since it's official now, but also since all the mods on there are kinda power-mad. Two in particular stand out to me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This album is pretty bad....

Edit: OK, so after two listens, some of the stuff on the second half is pretty cool. The first half has some stinkers though. I think Too Many Friends might be the worst song ever made by a band that I like.... holy shit are those lyrics bad.
    Last edited by ZeroSum; 09-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The forum thing is apparently since it's official now, but also since all the mods on there are kinda power-mad. Two in particular stand out to me.
    I was a regular there when it was semi-official. I was even a mod for years, but it's never been like that. Maybe they chose the wrong people after I left :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I haven't got the chance to hear the full new album, but I felt totally disappointed the first time I heard 'Too Many Friends', it kinda broke something in me that made me love Placebo, after that I'm not expecting to much of this record. And you know, it's not that I miss the Placebo of the 90's, my favourite album of them is Meds (and the Angkor Wat gig is one of the most beatiful things I've heard), but this time I simply don't feel it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Placebo

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    this time I simply don't feel it.
    This.

On reflection I like some songs on this album, I like the instrumentation on this album, but... as a cohesive whole this isn't Placebo making a record they need to make, this isn't Placebo pushing themselves in a new direction or changing the formula. This is just Placebo being Placebo, coasting.

I personally think after this round of touring they should go on a break or something for a while and come back with something to say.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I personally think after this round of touring they should go on a break or something for a while and come back with something to say.
    But 'Battle for the Sun' was realised on 2009, maybe it's not so much time, but it's enough for make a good record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    But 'Battle for the Sun' was realised on 2009, maybe it's not so much time, but it's enough for make a good record.
    True. But im sure they toured that album until mid last year? then went back into the studio. (I could be wrong with my dates here)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    True. But im sure they toured that album until mid last year? then went back into the studio. (I could be wrong with my dates here)

Last year was just a "general" tour, albeit still heavy with BFTS songs. The general consensus is that they were doing it for the money to record the album. As regards to recording, some stuff (B3, one or two LLL tracks) was recorded in early 2012 and then, I THINK, they were still writing the rest of it through that tour.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Basically, Brian should have shut the fuck up on this album. The music itself makes sense, but these lyrics are cringeworthy. We've all heard what he actually wrote in his late teens, so I can't find an excuse for this.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Yeah, but Trent's always written kinda lame lyrics. With Brian, he has something. Or had. Also I think Trent would shoot himself in the face before letting Too Many Friends see the light of day.

And Rob the Bank. Ugh. It's like Trigger Happy Hands, but written by a fucking moron.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Another thing I've noticed: Brian no longer "sings" on the faster tracks, he just shouts the lyrics.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oh, great. I forgot to cancel my box set order.

The fact that I'm giving them €90 for this album disgusts me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, great. I forgot to cancel my box set order.

The fact that I'm giving them €90 for this album disgusts me.
    Im glad I just ordered the cd for this reason.