Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualis_Dolor View Post
    Anyone else missing some of the flow of the original which was taken out by extended intros/outros, alternate versions and additional instrumentals? It doesn't take anything away from its awesomeness, but "One Way To Get There" after "Pilgrimage", for example, just doesn't really feel right.
    Well there's a reason why the actual Fragile is sequenced differently, apart from the new additions. Deviations is a collection of instrumentals and curiosities, it's not really meant to "flow" like a proper album would...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualis_Dolor View Post
    Anyone else missing some of the flow of the original which was taken out by extended intros/outros, alternate versions and additional instrumentals? It doesn't take anything away from its awesomeness, but "One Way To Get There" after "Pilgrimage", for example, just doesn't really feel right.
    Depends on what you thought of the original sequencing. Personally, I've always disliked a lot of the segues on TDS and TF (Ezrin be damned – some real shit transitions happen on The Wall too!), so the fact that some of them were altered on the definitive remasters and most of them wholly removed on D1 is great by me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Also, anyone else feel like the second part of "Feeders" sounds like it's becoming a precursor to the now-15-minute suite of "We're in This Together"?

1. "Feeders"
    2. "Last Heard From"
    3. "Missing Places"
    4. "We're in This Together"

BONUS:
    5. "La Mer" (which I think Trent once said was intended to tie together with the coda of "Together")
    6. "Adrift and at Peace"
    Yes, the piano chords at the end of "WITT" are supposed to herald the coming of the "La Mer" chords later on. I love the motifs on this record.

HOWEVER, I cannot stand the thought of "The New Flesh" after "Complication". Maybe I'm the one wedded to the CD order, but "ILFTJ,F" has always been an excellent, thoughtful piece to hear right after the middle peak of Right. It works better where it is on Deviations 1, IMO, which is in the 'center.'

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Also, anyone else feel like the second part of "Feeders" sounds like it's becoming a precursor to the now-15-minute suite of "We're in This Together"?

1. "Feeders"
    2. "Last Heard From"
    3. "Missing Places"
    4. "We're in This Together"

BONUS:
    5. "La Mer" (which I think Trent once said was intended to tie together with the coda of "Together")
    6. "Adrift and at Peace"
    Absolutely not on the LFH=WITT train, so I'm gonna have to call bullhooey on about half of this notion. WITT with the Pellington extended intro and MP runs 10:02.

And including LM automatically invites ITV. So the theme suite is MP/WITT/LM/ITV.

AAAP is the completion of LM, sure, but it doesn't use the motifs.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You really don't hear any similarity to "We're in This Together" in "Last Heard From"?
    I had a whole exchange earlier in the thread about it. Obviously it's a guitar with the same processing, but the thing it's playing in LFH isn't the WITT riff. Could it be edited from the LFH guitar? Totally. But it was edited into an extremely different thing. They are rhythmically total opposites and are at two different tempos.

Also, what was this extended Pellington intro? It sounds familiar, like something I used to be familiar with, but I can't recall it at present.
    There's a Pellington director's cut of the WITT video that runs 8 minutes, with the intro changed to fill that extra time. It was somewhere on that TF music videos DVD posted years ago, if you downloaded that. It's the highest quality copy we have.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Also, what was this extended Pellington intro? It sounds familiar, like something I used to be familiar with, but I can't recall it at present.
    Here's the one from Pellington's Vimeo account. As already mentioned, it's available in higher quality elsewhere:

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    There's a Pellington director's cut of the WITT video that runs 8 minutes, with the intro changed to fill that extra time. It was somewhere on that TF music videos DVD posted years ago, if you downloaded that. It's the highest quality copy we have.
    https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/440...ction_NTSC_DVD

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Here's the one from Pellington's Vimeo account. As already mentioned, it's available in higher quality elsewhere:
    At 55 seconds of the video, there's a guitar sound from Missing Places (if it wasn't mentioned before).

About Last Heard From and WITT being connected, I agree. In LHF at 27 seconds, there's a shared sound effect with WITT at 19-23 sec. Also before and after the LHF guitar blasts there's a "sparky" noise, alike the very start of WITT and throughout the intro, overall similar heavily distorted guitar effect. The LHF guitar itself, different speed and all, at least has a similar (sound) (pause) (sound) (pause) structure.
    Last edited by blassster; 01-06-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    The placement of 'Feeders' after 'No, You Don't' (DE) in a definitive playlist always reminds me of Pearl Jam's 'Master/Slave' (hidden track at the end of Ten after 'Release') whereas it is teased in the opening track 'Once'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    In stark contrast to how I feel about NTAE, this release is exactly what I'd hoped it would be and I am immensely pleased that he decided to release it. I'm especially pleased that he hasn't gone and finished the old works in progress, he's a changed man now and it's brilliant that he opted to leave it for work done in the original era only. I really hope he does a Fragile Deviations 2, I'll gladly pay for as much unreleased Fragility era material as he wants to give us. Can't wait for the vinyl to arrive.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I got bored. NIN FRAGILE ERA COLLAGE!!!!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Regarding the Pellington video. I thought the story was that TR ended up doing the final edit for the video himself. Thus, the audio for the video would be a TR edit. Obvs calling it something like "Mark Pellington video version" makes sense, but "Mark Pellington edit" somewhat suggests that he mixed this version of WITT, when it was almost certainly TR.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Looking at that "holy shit edition" makes me want to go back in time just to not post that initial sketch from which that monster was forged

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hope somewhere there is an album worth of tracks like Was It Worth It?. That track is basically a combination of everything I love about The Fragile. I wish it had been released with vocals. It sounds like the perfect companion to songs like Into the Void, Where is Everybody, Please, The Big Come Down... It would have been the perfect addition to the Right disc. It would be really interesting to hear why some of this stuff was cut originally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd just like to say... "The March". So awesome.

But I can't help but sing Saul....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    I got bored. NIN FRAGILE ERA COLLAGE!!!!
    We largely have David Carson to thank! Any fan of The Fragile era's imagery should pick up his book Fotografiks.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Enjoying it very much...

Starfuckers is basically the same though! the world needs another remix of that one

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I despise that digital font "f" so much it almost makes my balls ache.
    Yes, glad he didn't go in that direction.

I don't think he's done with the fragile. We will get more.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I despise that digital font "f" so much it almost makes my balls ache.
    Mine are achin' too buddy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Can someome finally tell me what is with that NIN logo with the aspect ratio warped?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Can someome finally tell me what is with that NIN logo with the aspect ratio warped?
    To be edgy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    "+Appendage", "Can I Stay Here?" and "10 Miles High" are worth the price tag alone, and those are just three tracks! Can't wait to receive the physical album.

Also loving the extra guitar riffs in The Big Come Down. I'm probably gonna have to try splicing those into the vocal version whenever I get off my ass to buy the vinyl of The Fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've never liked remastered works, but this is great. Listening to this while studying makes everything better. The March and Was It Worth It are top.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Oh fuck this shipping is going to tear me a new arsehole.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    "+Appendage", "Can I Stay Here?" and "10 Miles High" are worth the price tag alone, and those are just three tracks! Can't wait to receive the physical album.

Also loving the extra guitar riffs in The Big Come Down. I'm probably gonna have to try splicing those into the vocal version whenever I get off my ass to buy the vinyl of The Fragile.

same, the Big Come Down, has just shed new light on my fave track even better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, exactly! That really is my experience with a lot of these tracks. Some of the layers that were obscured by Trent's vocals are colouring the music in some interesting ways. Like the breakdowns in "Into the Void".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    edit: the nin wiki page has a great breakdown of differences between the different versions
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 01-08-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    So Im wondering what, (if any,) songs are the same as on the Itune$ Instrumental version?
    Always check ninwiki first.