Page 7 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Depeche Mode

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Can't wait for more Depeche Mode! Been listening to them non-stop since the beginning of December.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Jan 8th, 2013 | Exclusive Interview: Timothy Saccenti

Here is a HOME Exclusive interview with the man behind the “Angel” video, Timothy Saccenti. My goal with this interview was simple, I just wanted to reach out to the man behind the “Angel” video and perhaps learn a little more about him. What I got was a fascinating look into a passionate, driven individual who’s thoughts are as motivating as they are insightful. This really is an honor for us here at HOME and we hope you enjoy it.

Which came first, photography or directing?
    I have been immersed in photography since I was quite young, film is a more recent medium for me.
    Looking back, do you still find that the things that initially drew you to doing something creative still inspires you or do you struggle with finding new inspiration when you approach a new project?
    My work is mostly collaborations with artists-musicians, actors, visual artists etc, so each new project brings it’s own new energy, approach, and inspiration. I tend to be particular as to what projects I dedicate my time to to make sure it is worth the emotional investment. I’ve been very lucky in that regard as nearly all of them I’ve learned something new. There’s always a new way to see something, that’s the interesting and challenging part.
    Of the two, which do you find more challenging? Does meeting that challenge bring you more reward or do you find yourself more annoyed by having to fight yourself on it?
    The film pieces take longer and are much more detailed and collaborative than photography. It is more of a journey and you can’t be quite sure where it will take you. There are many people involved with opinions, talents, and emotional quirks. In that way it’s quite challenging, but the effect can be potent. You can penetrate the viewer on a deep level with film by affecting time and emotion.
    And marrying moving images with music is extremely compelling. With film there is the leeway of pushing from reality, it doesn’t carry the burden of truth that photography is expected to. Photography, on the other hand, has an immediate gratification and seduction, a sense of being knowable and factual, that can elevate simple moments to a poetic plane when done properly. It can be more inclusive and intimate in some ways as it is based on a single moment in time. This can also be a burden to chose which is the most truthful of moments since they are all truth and also all lies at the same time. So each has it’s own burden and own reward.

I’m sure in the early days, like anyone, you felt pretty vulnerable putting your work out there, how do you deal with less then favorable criticism these days?
    Well this is a good point. It’s a tricky one. In order to create these pieces you must be sensitive and open, as, at least for much of my work, I’m creating pieces for artists themselves. So one must start the process by being very sensitive, listening, and feeling out what is the appropriate way to express their message, while running it through your own filters and feelings. Listening is very important. So you go through this process of acquiring emotional data and building a world for them, you create this together with them and your team, and then you put it out into the world and it is often met with destructive extremely vocal opinions of the masses. This though is just part of creating anything in the current environment we live in and is part of the deal you make with the world when you decide to be a creative.
    I was lucky enough to create a body of work before the onslaught of internet feedback seem to take over, so in many ways I feel lucky. My point of view is based on my experiences, not generated by committee, so that gives one the confidence to create new things. I’m not sure how a new artist now would continue to create in the current hostile environment of the internet, which is where, to be fair, most people experience art at the moment. If I was going to start an art school I would definitely create a course “Surviving destructive Youtube comment trolls 101”.
    In the end though you create things as a team and you solve the problems and communicate what you attempt with that team and if you are your collaborators feel it was successful that is the most important things, as cliché as that is. There will always be someone trying to take you down, and usually that person is yourself, during the process, as you sometimes painfully deconstruct your own feelings on what you are doing, trying to get to the truth. So by the time someone comments “not feeling it” on YouTube, you’ve already been through the valley of darkness and emerged with your prize, so the comments have more the net effect of a gnat buzzing in your ear. Really it is all just a game in the end.
    Can you still enjoy film and photography for what it is or are you constantly critiquing what you’re looking it?
    Photography is a way of engaging with the world. How you feel about a thing CHANGES when you photograph it. It is a critique of the world incarnate. As an exploratory tool nothing rivals it in the modern age, and the popularity of things like Instagram proves it. What is your favorite photograph you’ve taken ? For me it is always of a loved one. But to your question I think its interesting that we are surrounded by films and mostly photography, and you start to analyze everything, but for me I see a photograph and am usually interested in the photographers point of view, why they took the image, what led up to it, etc. It is critical, but more in a manner of looking into the mind of the creator. After making some short film pieces I most definitely looked at films in a different manner and the staggering amount of work and focus that goes into creating them.
    Have you ever found yourself more confident in one formant and perhaps experimenting with techniques to see if they apply in the other? Perhaps some of your video directing skills can help in directing a photo session go smoother for example.
    Photography is good as it teaches you to be quick and interact with humans in a very intimate setting. Creating a portrait of someone is making an unsaid agreement with them about what you are setting out to do together. And photography allows you to quickly try out various techniques, lighting, color, etc to get your ideas across. These skills can translate to film very well were the process is much slower, there’s much less spontenaiety, so often I’ll bring the techniques I used in photography over into my film shoots, knowing that they will work.

The software and tools used for editing just seems to be evolving so rapidly, especially over the last few years. Do you stay pretty on top if it or just kind of pick and choose what works for you?
    I spend most of my time working towards visual ideas rather than the technology of it. I work with amazing people who can bring the ideas to life in a technological manner. My tastes tend to veer towards more experimental art, video art, installation works, programming art, so often I try to bring some of that to the table and work it into a context that can be collaborative within the structure of these video pieces.
    How did directing Motor’s “Man Made Machine” video come about? Did working on that video start up your relationship with Depeche directly?
    I had worked with Motor for many of their projects before Man Made Machine. Bryan Black and I are both huge fans of industrial, techno, electronic music and the culture around it. We get along like a house on fire, so when they brought up the Man Made Machine track we felt it would make a great video. There’s always many people involved in how these connections are made. I was working with a video commissioner who suggested me to Mute and I think a few stars aligned.
    Can you tell us a little bit about how the concept for the “Angel” video come about?
    It’s rare that I do an in-studio type piece, most of my work is quite art directed and conceptual, so I was drawn to the idea of trying to translate that into this studio situation. I went into meet the band and was inspired by their energy in the room, they are amazing musicians and you feel it the moment you walk in studio. I actually felt this side of them hadn’t been shown very well, so that was my main concept, show this energy… not knowing where it would take me. After filming it, the amazing editor Dayn Williams and I dedicated a large chunk of our lives carving out the film. I think we accomplished our goal on that one.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    While some minor colors can be seen through out, can you tell us the decision behind doing it primarily in Black & White?
    Daylight + Black and white = magic. Also, I couldn’t control anything in the room, lighting, color, etc, so using black and white was a classic solution to formal issues that would occur in creating a consistent tonal feel.
    While the band have used other people more recently, did the fact that Depeche have worked so closely with Anton Corbijn have any kind of influence or weight on your decision making at all?
    Anton was a huge influnce on me growing up and is an amazing artist. The bands image had been crafted by him in such an iconic fashion, so in some ways it’s impossible to remove that from the equation. I’ve worked with many artists over time, but I do think with Depeche Mode you walk in knowing that you will be somewhat compared to Anton by the fans and in the lexicon of the bands imagery. It’s humbling and exciting to add to their legacy of iconic visual output. My style is very different from Antons, but I feel it’s a good mix, a contemporary take on the band.
    Musically, you have worked with some pretty eclectic artists. Names like Flying Lotus, Washed Out, Passion Pit, and Usher having all received your signature. Do these artists reflect much of your personal taste or are you finding they are gravitating towards you?
    I’ve been very lucky that most of the artist I’ve worked with are also on my playlists. I think working with artists you must be very into music, so you can speak the language with them. This is my passion and I think it translates into our works together.
    What are your thoughts on music videos as a promotional medium these days? The traditional music television outlets are drowning in reality TV shows, sadly, so is the internet viable enough to keep the medium relevant?
    I can’t say. I think for each project you should create what you want to see in the world and hopefully it will have a life of it’s own.

For more information on Timothy Saccenti, please visit:
    timothysaccenti.com
    twitter.com/timothysaccenti
    tsaccenti.tumblr.com
    Interview by Glen. (C) HOME. Do not steal this article without giving full credit and a link! All photos appear courtesy of Timothy Saccenti.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    It would be more readable if you bolded the questions instead of answers.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I didn't bold anything. I copied and pasted from the news page here: http://www.depeche-mode.com/category/news/

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.depechemode.de/en/martin-...ally-do-19220/

The Q-notes

Martin Gore: “Heaven is quite far from what we normally do”

January 8th, 2013 by Sven Plaggemeier
    1 Comment

The January edition of the Q-Magazine (order it here) features an interesting interview (“Gore Blimey”) with Martin Gore about the new album and the possibly first single Heaven (keep in mind that it’s still unconfirmed).
    Thanks to Ultra_Depeche (follow him on Twitter!) we got handed over some notes of the editor, that didn’t make it into the print. Additionally, and that will thrill you even more, the notes contain some of the lyrics of the possibly new single – and an exciting quote of Martin Gore about the track.
    Here are the original notes. Thanks again to both the Q writer for permission and Ultra_Depeche (Twitter). Please note that the Q writes listened to Heaven just onece. He describes the song as very catchy, though. Also, Heaven’s lyrics were jotted down. It’s not that they are at all accurate.
    HIS PASSION FOR MUSIC STILL BURNS:
    “When I was really young first had a job as a paper boy I saved all my money to buy records and thats what I did, and it’s gone of from there really. I have a passion for music, since a young age, and I still do.”
    THE MYSTERY OF SONGWRITING
    “Um, I want to just say in a very loose way I hate talking about songwriting because it’s something you can easily dismantle and make into something that sounds very simple. whereas ,when you listen to the overall thing it has so much power. The mystery of music is one of the things I fell in love with when I was ten years old.”
    WHEN DOES HE KNOW IT’S TIME TO WRITE AGAIN
    “It was time for convene – there’s an obvious moment. i start writing at a certain point and dave of course is writing now. he starts writing at a certain point and there is a moment when we both have some good bunch of songs and its a good time to get together and start planning, its very organic. ”
    GAP BETWEEN RECORDS:
    “There’s a long gap between each of our records… three or four years… and you never know what’s going to happen in that time. You can’t take anything for granted.”
    GAP BETWEEN – DID CERTAIN TINGS INSPIRE LYRICS/MOOD?
    “I don’t want to sound too…. ‘positive,’ but I personally I feel a lot happier in my own skin as I get older and that dictates what I write the way I go about writing. I think for a lot of time I didn’t feel very happy in my skin and thats a huge difference to me.”
    HIS PAST DRINKING:
    “It’s been a long time now since I stopped. I’ve gone beyond the point even thinking about drinking. I can go out with people getting completely wasted and I don’t even think about having a drink anymore…”
    PAST – DRINKING/SEIZURES – WHEN NOT FEELING GOOD IN SKIN – SPIRITUAL THEMES AS A RESULT:
    “I went through the majority of the band’s career drinking… I was functional… (hits) you can’t be happy I don’t think when you’re doing that. I was at the point where I was having seizures and once you have seizures that becomes a constant worry when you’re still drinking. I would go on stage and I’d be constantly worried ‘Oh my god am i going to have a seizure tonight? Those are the sort of things you shouldn’t have to worry about!”
    THIS ALBUM:
    Some of the songs don’t have titles yet. Like the first one Q hears. It’s difficult because the obvious one would be “Angel” or “Angel of Love” since that’s the chorus but that’s quite sappy isn’t it? And it’s not a sappy song.” (Indeed… menacing…)
    DISTINCTLY DM
    “I think it is. There are always characteristics that make us sound like us.
    Dave is a great front man who has a very distinctive voice. The moment you hear him you know it’s him. Which I think is really important. A lot of singers are interchangeable.
    That kind of defines out sound. One of the main things.” (shy to reveal more of the other elements….)
    HIS FAMOUS HOARDING
    “I’ve got quite an addictive nature in general thats probably why I went through drinking phases and health phases… now I am addicted to collecting guitars and synthesizers and anything I can use to make music.”
    DAVE’S SONGS
    “They’re good. He’s been working with Kurt. A new partnership. The last couple of albums he’s worked with Christian and Andrew; this time he worked with Kurt, completely different.”
    SAME PRODUCER – WHAT BEN BRINGS
    “Is this a trilogy?? (Laughing) I think the way Ben works is very suited to our approach to making music. He’s a very strong personality and I think thats’ what we really need. He’s completely focused and always knows exactly what he wants at all times where as we’re off and fumbling in the dark. We need a leader! This time around the demos were a lot more advanced than they usually are and Ben felt they were pointing us in the right direction and that the album had an overall feel we were going for.”
    HEAVEN SONG

simple minimalist techno intro
    hymnal dirge… procession of the cross… that ends with single drum like a heart beat
    LYRICS (as much as I could understand):
    sometimes I [CANT UNDERSTAND WORD]
    silently
    I slowly lose myself
    over and over
    take comfort in my skin
    endlessly
    surrender to my will
    forever and ever
    I dissolve in trust
    I will sing with joy
    I will end up dust
    I’m in heaven
    I stand in golden rays
    radiantly
    I burn a fire of love
    Over and over
    it sends in endless light
    I have embraced the flame
    forever and ever
    I will scream CANT UNDERSTAND WORD
    jump into the void
    I will guide the CANT UNDERSTAND WORD
    up to heaven
    ends with minimal drum. heart beat…
    MARTIN: “This track is really different for us because it sounds to me like our take on 70s rock..reminds me of rod stewart almost — there is a modern take to it, its not pure 70s rock but definitely an interesting avenue for us to explore. it’s quite far from what we normally do but still sounds like us….”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hey, beat you to it Ryan! :

Depeche Mode have released details about their 13th studio album, "Delta Machine" with track listing for both the standard and the deluxe edition and details about their first single!

Details here:
    http://dpchm.de/deltamachine

STANDARD:
    1 - Welcome To My World
    2 - Angel
    3 - Heaven
    4 - Secret To The End
    5 - My Little Universe
    6 - Slow
    7 - Broken
    8 - The Child Inside
    9 - Soft Touch / Raw Nerve
    10 - Should Be Higher
    11 - Alone
    12 - Soothe My Soul
    13 - Goodbye
    DELUXE EDITION: (includes hardcover 28-page booklet)
    DISC 1
    1 - Welcome To My World
    2 - Angel
    3 - Heaven
    4 - Secret To The End
    5 - My Little Universe
    6 - Slow
    7 - Broken
    8 - The Child Inside
    9 - Soft Touch / Raw Nerve
    10 - Should Be Higher
    11 - Alone
    12 - Soothe My Soul
    13 - Goodbye
    DISC 2
    1 - Long Time Lie
    2 - Happens All The Time
    3 - Always
    4 - All That’s Mine
    The tracklisting for the “Heaven” CD single is as follows:
    “Heaven” CD SINGLE:
    1 - Heaven
    2 - All That’s Mine (b side bonus track)
    “Heaven” CD MAXI:
    1 - Heaven
    2 - Heaven (Owlle Remix)
    3 - Heaven (steps to heaven rmx)
    4 - Heaven (Blawan Remix)
    5 - Heaven (Mathew Dear vs Audion Remix)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Holy shit.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Is it just me or does the recent logo suck?

I expected more from anton. Last good DM logo was ultra era.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Last good DM logo was ultra era.
    and the last good DM album was Ultra.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I actually like every album theyve done since then. Not as much as Ultra mind you, but I have enjoyed them all.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Very interested to see how the music will sound but I hate the title, hate the logo, hate the cover.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I like the name of the album. but it essentially means
    The D Machine

Delta: The fourth letter of the Greek alphabet (Δ, δ), transliterated as “d.”.

thats... awkward....

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    and the last good DM album was Ultra.
    Hey, Playing The Angel was a great album!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I like the name of the album. but it essentially means
    The D Machine

Delta: The fourth letter of the Greek alphabet (Δ, δ), transliterated as “d.”.

thats... awkward....
    Maybe it's a nod to the Delta blues....

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Also triangle = three members of the band.

Only downside is abbreviating it. DM

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Interesting that the q interview talks about producer ben's influence but makes no mention of fletch.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its obvious to everyone that fletch doesnt do anything.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I think Fletch plays some stuff, but just not much. Live, it seems like he's the engineer, while the other guys play. I don't doubt him not contributing much though. But I think he contributed "some".

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    its always been stated that fletch handles the business side of the band.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Depeche Mode

True. But they also say he plays some of the "bass" parts of the songs.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Oh right. The bass parts.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Fletch eats bananas very well during the live gigs.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Depeche Mode

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    fletch eats bananas very well during the live gigs.
    this.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm super excited for this new album. Depeche Mode is currently my favorite band right now. Fantastic music!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Dave's going back to the leather jacket!?