Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: after all is said and done - THE FINAL SHOW - Project that remains unfinished

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Urm, we were there and we saw it?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I know there was a story about Rob "begging" Trent to perform The Downward Spiral live a second time, just to have it professionally filmed.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Yeah...but where is the source that says that the NIN camp filmed at these shows.
    And the 2 shows ScreamingSlave wasn't at (Chicago night 1&2), I was. There were 5 professional HD cameras recording NIN all night. Robin's camera man shot me a few times, too. Rob has the footage. And I have to say I'm actually sad he didn't release more footage before this project was completed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    They're at a bit of a sticky place now though.. If they were going to release them as some cool, deluxe package (probably via nin.com or limited DVD whatever), they needed to do so in about mid 2010. They would have been the "last shows ever".

Come June they're the last show for four years and not so special anymore. The band couldn't get away from talking them up too much, and I guess really the only way you could get away with using them would be via a free torrent somewhere. Or maybe not! I'd be excited to see what they did either way.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    They're at a bit of a sticky place now though.. If they were going to release them as some cool, deluxe package (probably via nin.com or limited DVD whatever), they needed to do so in about mid 2010. They would have been the "last shows ever".

Come June they're the last show for four years and not so special anymore. The band couldn't get away from talking them up too much, and I guess really the only way you could get away with using them would be via a free torrent somewhere. Or maybe not! I'd be excited to see what they did either way.
    This is unfortunate, but probably true. It'd be weird releasing a product called "NIN Wave Goodbye" with tour dates currently on the website.

But I'm assuming that the footage was too good to go to waste, and that it'll be released after NIN are "done" again, whenever that is. A package like Led Zeppelin's double DVD, or the KISSology (sorry ) series.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    This is unfortunate, but probably true. It'd be weird releasing a product called "NIN Wave Goodbye" with tour dates currently on the website.
    Yeah but even "NIN:Fooled You!" would be fun to watch.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Currently watching tiny little dots release. As head editor of The Gift I've been a major sceptic of the project since the beginning (especially after they released terrible early edits on youtube) but I have to say, the final product is a huge improvement. Visually, it looks like they really did spend a lot of time squeezing the best cuts out of every song with the footage they had. It's a pity so many camera's focused solely on Trent, especially when they're all at the same long-mid shot framing. But yeah, I'm blown away with how good its turned out (although more wide shots would have been nice). The audio is quite disappointing though, the drums are completely lost and have so little impact, from the first beat on Home it was obvious the recording was just flat.

So in the end what do we have? A well edited, acceptable sounding HD video bootleg running at a whopping 3 hours and 15 minutes that suffered from terrible producing, PR/marketing and just took way too fucking long to come out. It's still a good momento of NIN's "final" show though and the people involved should feel pretty happy with how it came out in the end. I know I would.
    Last edited by sa_nick; 03-26-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I apologize for my skepticism, I just never saw that post from the band and since these shows had an open camera policy (not saying you guys were lying or cant see) but didnt know if the people you saw filming were just other fans with their cameras.

Apologies. I will shut up now. Good day.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    after watching most of the videos on youtube, i think the whole thing came out pretty good. unfortunately, since their pr/marketing/false promises kinda left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, as well as they should have been more professional in their communication and delivery of this product, they are going to get the short end of the stick even if their end product is not bad. i do agree that the audio isn't great and it seems that the syncing is a bit off at times. but all that being said, i'm glad this was video was FINALLY released and that we all get to enjoy what seemingly was NIN's final show. albeit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    It's a pity so many camera's focused solely on Trent, especially when they're all at the same long-mid shot framing.
    That was one of my main beefs with the few clips I watched on my phone at the laundromat last night, they'd cut from one shot of Trent to another one that was largely the same, but from a slightly different angle.

& now I get why color correction was such a big deal for TOIOU, a couple of the angles have a MAJOR orange tint to them which is really jarring when they cut to them. At least most of the other shots are close enough that it's not a big deal.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Its too bad Rob didn't get a chance to professionally film The Downward Spiral performance, that way it could sit in the vaults and never see the light of day like the other 999999999 hours of footage they haveand for the record, am I the only one who thought Rob and his crew did a horrible job filming the LITS shows? The entire show was filmed like an audience bootleg, hardly any closeups..no wonder DreamWorks bailed on the project. million dollar stage show filmed like a crappy bootleg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypayton View Post
    Its too bad Rob didn't get a chance to professionally film The Downward Spiral performance, that way it could sit in the vaults and never see the light of day like the other 999999999 hours of footage they haveand for the record, am I the only one who thought Rob and his crew did a horrible job filming the LITS shows? The entire show was filmed like an audience bootleg, hardly any closeups..no wonder DreamWorks bailed on the project. million dollar stage show filmed like a crappy bootleg
    He did record a performance of the Downward Spiral - but that was at the Palladium.

And re: the LITS footage - what Dreamworks project? I don't understand how a random group of cameramen NIN hired for that one instance has anything to do with someone dropping from a project...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    They're probably talking about the James Cameron thing, which fell through before those guys were even hired. (I was going to say the reason those guys were hired, but stealing your idea was the reason they were hired).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, is there anything neat in the bonus features? I've seen the last concert enough times and don't care to see it from different angles, but the weird extra stuff (like the thing Ming and Ping shot) is way more interesting to me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    For those wanting to relive the downward spiral live here is a link to the hd and DVD of the Webster Hall show us fans did .

http://theninhotline.net/features/TDSlive/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    am I the only one who thought Rob and his crew did a horrible job filming the LITS shows? The entire show was filmed like an audience bootleg, hardly any closeups..no wonder DreamWorks bailed on the project. million dollar stage show filmed like a crappy bootleg
    Are you mad? Rob zipping around filming everyone for that Somewhat Damaged @ Roskilde clip in particular is great, and as for hardly any close ups, Trent bashes into him at quite near the start of it! I love the Last clip too, which again is pretty close up. In fact, I prefer them to regular concert shoots cos, while you don't to see the light show etc, it does actually feel like you're onstage with them, and get a real sense of what it'd be like to be up there with the band!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    i thought the 09 stage shots were sick....I am referring to the 2008 LITS shows....

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Are you mad? Rob zipping around filming everyone for that Somewhat Damaged @ Roskilde clip in particular is great, and as for hardly any close ups, Trent bashes into him at quite near the start of it! I love the Last clip too, which again is pretty close up. In fact, I prefer them to regular concert shoots cos, while you don't to see the light show etc, it does actually feel like you're onstage with them, and get a real sense of what it'd be like to be up there with the band!
    I'm pretty sure jaypayton's talking about The Gift footage, which was shot in the audience, not on stage. Two totally different atmospheres and an important distinction to make. I can't remember what that footage looked like, so I won't comment on it otherwise.

I haven't watched this yet because it's taking fucking forever to torrent the 14 gb one.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    The failure of the Dreamworks collaboration happened LONG before Trent decided to experiment with the relaxed camera policy and sneak Rob and his own camera crew in the last LITS shows.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    So this project is now getting some press but they seem to have missed the details about taking fan money.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...said-and-done/
    http://www.spin.com/articles/nine-in...and-done-video

Looks like they both have open comments. I think we need to clue them in on this omission...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I wish we could unlike things we have liked...

Because now that I think about it more, I'm not sure what that would accomplish, other than revenge. And potentially publicly attaching negativity to the band, just by association.

And this is good publicity for the band. So go ahead and let that asshat Sasan feel like he's getting a little bit of the spotlight. (Unless he capitalizes on the publicity to open up another order window.)

The time for action was reporting him to the ic3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i thought the 09 stage shots were sick....I am referring to the 2008 LITS shows....
    Hence my apoplexy at the heinous slating (or not, as it turns out) of the great 09 footage! I stand corrected....
    Last edited by simonn; 03-26-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Frankly, the arrogance displayed when the project was announced left a longstanding bad taste. Open mockery of ThisOneIsOnUs, shaming people for raising concerns that turned out to be quite valid, taking preorders for a physical product before a single, full length rough cut was even made, and then encouraging people to preorder with exclusive content only available if you paid money - even though any other effort before this was strictly non-profit and made fully available online. And despite all that, there's still verbiage on the new page about how you'll be able to preorder again soon.

For all the hubris displayed, I think it's acceptable that when a story is posted about the project, it should have all the little details. Sure, it took an actually-unbelievable amount of hours to put this together, but isn't it interesting that it also took an enormous amount of money from trusting fans, three years ago, and there's nothing to show for that?

I mean, I'm not posting comments up there because I didn't pre-order, but I do think it's important that the people who did throw their money away be made aware that another forum has opened up for them to talk about their investment in the project.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "a video production of a NIN concert unlike anything ever before"

​Really?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Frankly, the arrogance displayed when the project was announced left a longstanding bad taste. Open mockery of ThisOneIsOnUs, shaming people for raising concerns that turned out to be quite valid, taking preorders for a physical product before a single, full length rough cut was even made, and then encouraging people to preorder with exclusive content only available if you paid money - even though any other effort before this was strictly non-profit and made fully available online. And despite all that, there's still verbiage on the new page about how you'll be able to preorder again soon.

For all the hubris displayed, I think it's acceptable that when a story is posted about the project, it should have all the little details. Sure, it took an actually-unbelievable amount of hours to put this together, but isn't it interesting that it also took an enormous amount of money from trusting fans, three years ago, and there's nothing to show for that?

I mean, I'm not posting comments up there because I didn't pre-order, but I do think it's important that the people who did throw their money away be made aware that another forum has opened up for them to talk about their investment in the project.
    to be honest, and this is totally unfair of me, but a lot of that would be forgivable if the final product was... I don't know, something not short of amazing. But instead, the final product is ... alright. At the end of the day, it's an amateur project 3 years in the making. I'm not sure how to be excited about that. (Truthfully, I prefer the the BDO footage you recently uncovered, Levi, as it's a bit more interesting.)

Yadda yadda yadda, they probably did the best they could with the source material... and if they hadn't been such dicks, my perception would acknowledge that. But they were, and here we are.

Still, good press for NIN on the eve of the return, so I'll take it.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    At the least, people can voice their complaints without having them deleted. The fact that they deleted every bad comment or question about how long things were taking is just... fucked up.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    stick to professionally filmed shows.....

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
    "a video production of a NIN concert unlike anything ever before"

​Really?
    I'm really having a hard time believing it would take 4 years and a million "professional" hours or whatever to get to this overly-edited, ungraded result with a cheap sound mix. I know a few "amateur" boys and girls out there who edited more than twice as many hours of footage in total with nearly three times as many camera sources in barely over a year with arguably more polished results without taking money from fans... And God knows we've had our share of set backs and fuck ups, by the way.

I still appreciate the effort though (hey, it's out digitally for free, isn't it?) but the arrogance is just a bit insulting to the fan community (and specifically, of course, to TOIOU).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    It really just stinks. Just when NIN has announced a reborn tour... It seems like the perfect time to release the underwhelming finished product and drop the words 'opening another order window'.