Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1360

Thread: NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    you can play rock styled music without being a "rock and roll band"...Faith No More is not a rock band or a metal band, yet they have hybrids of those genre's....To me, rock an droll is music like foo fighters, guns n roses, things like that....NIn was never full on industrial, but they had more in common with industrial bands than rock bands...It wasn't until GNR fans and soundgarden fans started coming to NIN shows where everything got meshed together....And as "rock" as Broken is, the entire album was done on computers and no guitar was used in the making of that album..not exactly "rock n roll"...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    For those of you hoping that the album is far more complex or intriguing than CBH, It's not going to be..
    I think he's made it pretty clear musically that the dark, uncomfortable, brooding, aspect of how he wrote before has been replaced with the sound
    he's been recreating since WT.. Whether you like that, or you don't, It's kind of naive to expect a return to an era that simply CAN not be replicated..

I fully expect an album of songs similar to what's on the Slip, just fleshed out a bit more.

...And for some reason, I kind of feel like this whole era is the laziest era of the bands entire existence. I have no real reason to think that, It just feels like that to me..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    For those of you hoping that the album is far more complex or intriguing than CBH, It's not going to be..
    I think he's made it pretty clear musically that the dark, uncomfortable, brooding, aspect of how he wrote before has been replaced with the sound
    he's been recreating since WT...
    So let's just throw out five years of Ghosts and two motion picture scores?

And no one is saying they want TDS 2.0; just more of a cohesive effort that was missing at points in WT and The Slip. Year Zero displayed that he can still create an album that maintains a common theme, albeit a very technical one given the way it was created.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damian View Post
    I believe Dragon Tattoo and Social Network also had 24/96khz releases - unless you are saying those versions didn't warrant the higher bitrate. Or maybe you are just talking about HTDA, which is really the only project that hasn't gotten hi-res releases (I never looked into the vinyl versions). Do you know what causes his workflow to be capped at 48khz? I can't think where in A/D or D/A conversion he would be forced back down from say 96khz or even higher
    The high-def soundtracks (in stereo anyway) had no musical content above the 24k Nyquist limit of 48kHz sample rate, just some filter alias and distortion. They're not often working with live instrumentation so it doesn't really matter.

allegro: I think there are some kickass rock songs on With Teeth and The Slip, I'm going to eventually cover TR's cock-rock leanings when I get there in my blog.
    Last edited by botley; 06-12-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    he's been recreating since WT...
    I think you may be making the mistake of thinking that just because the album probably won't be "dark, uncomfortable, brooding," that means it can't be complex. I know what you mean and you're obviously entitled to feel that way, but I'm intrigued by the prospect of a NIN album that is complex without coming from a place of anger and depression. Whether we'll get that or not I don't know, but I think it's a possibility.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    allegro: I think there are some kickass rock songs on With Teeth and The Slip, I'm going to eventually cover TR's cock-rock leanings when I get there in my blog.
    I agree re With Teeth; it's not the metal cock rock that I love from BROKEN, but good rock nonetheless. NIN's cock rock is absolutely NIN at its best. Sorry, I said it, not taking it back.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-12-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    And as "rock" as Broken is, the entire album was done on computers and no guitar was used in the making of that album..not exactly "rock n roll"...
    Not really, I remember Trent talking about how he and the Pantera guys worked with developing the right sound on the guitars for Broken. You can clearly hear the feedback inferno on plenty of broken tracks. Some of it is clearly computer generated but there are guitars in the mix, if I'm not mistaken.

From wiki: "Reznor characterized Broken as a guitar-based “blast of destruction”, and as “a lot harder than Pretty Hate Machine”.
    Last edited by hobochic; 06-12-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    Not really, I remember Trent talking about how he and the Pantera guys worked with developing the right sound on the guitars for Broken. You can clearly hear the feedback inferno on plenty of broken tracks. Some of it is clearly computer generated but there are guitars in the mix, if I'm not mistaken.

From wiki: "Reznor characterized Broken as a guitar-based “blast of destruction”, and as “a lot harder than Pretty Hate Machine”.
    I've certainly read in the past that he used guitars but fed them straight into a computer and then tweaked the crap out of them in turbosynth or whatever. Actually I recently read an interview I think circa the Fragile that said he'd come to prefer guitars over keys for their expression, even though he fed them straight into a computer, but since he was a key player prior to NIN it took a while to appreciate that. He also said that "Suck" was his personal high point in guitar tone.

I'd be interested in reading the source which states he worked with Pantera on the tone.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I'd be interested in reading the source which states he worked with Pantera on the tone.
    I don't think he "worked" per se with them. If I remember correctly he says that he got inspired from hanging out with Pantera and how they used their guitar equipment. Which later influenced his sound for Broken. It's a tough interview to find but with some clever googling it should appear.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    Reading this thread makes me even more happy that I like the new NIN. It seems to suck if you don't.

Also, holy shit... who would have ever thought a single would be pop? That's just crazy! Singles are supposed to be the least accessible sound on an album!
    uh, I like the song just fine.

First, you're saying it's a good thing that some people hate it, because that means it's doing something right, and you drop a comparison to David Bowie "pissing people off," presumably because he was known for reinventing himself and challenging his audience, right?

By inference then, aren't you implying this is doing something similar? That it's challenging and somehow "confusing" to people whose expectations were somehow screwed with?

And now here you're admitting that the new NIN song is basically a dancey and incredibly accessible song very similar to the singles from the past few albums he's put out.

This is dizzying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I enjoy the song well enough, but does anyone else have the problem of it sounding like four other NIN songs mashed up? Each melody and hook sounds like it was taken out of an older song and slightly altered. I feel like I already knew this song.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    uh, I like the song just fine.

First, you're saying it's a good thing that some people hate it, because that means it's doing something right, and you drop a comparison to David Bowie "pissing people off," presumably because he was known for reinventing himself and challenging his audience, right?

By inference then, aren't you implying this is doing something similar? That it's challenging and somehow "confusing" to people whose expectations were somehow screwed with?

And now here you're admitting that the new NIN song is basically a dancey and incredibly accessible song very similar to the singles from the past few albums he's put out.

This is dizzying.
    it being "dancey and accessible" is in no way contradicting to what I said. The fact that you think it is contradicting is indicative of your struggle. There are some hardcore NIN fans who struggle with the concept of, and are pissed off by, NIN pop. No wonder you are dizzy!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    it being "dancey and accessible" is in no way contradicting to what I said. The fact that you think it is contradicting is indicative of your struggle. There are some hardcore NIN fans who struggle with the concept of, and are pissed off by, NIN pop. No wonder you are dizzy!
    It sounds like the lead single from With Teeth! That's not the confusing part, the part that's confusing is you implying this is ANYTHING new. NIN has been writing pop songs for a while now.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-12-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It sounds like the lead single from With Teeth! That's not the confusing part, the part that's confusing is you implying this is ANYTHING new. NIN has been writing pop songs for a while now.
    why so angry?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    What's wrong with pop songs? NIN was founded on synthpop

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    No one's having a problem with pop, it's the lack of originality that's bumming some people out.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    What's wrong with pop songs? NIN was founded on synthpop
    Hear hear.

To add the ten millionth wildly different "it sounds like" onto the pile, for some reason it reminds me of the Chemical Brothers more than anything else. I don't hear Hand That Feeds, I don't hear Discipline, and aside from the guitars and obviously the vocal component, it sounds very fresh and different to the rest of Trent's oevre. Which is exactly what I hoped for.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    why so angry?
    I'm not. You seem really angry and defensive though. Why so angry?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenLeslie View Post
    I think you may be making the mistake of thinking that just because the album probably won't be "dark, uncomfortable, brooding," that means it can't be complex. I know what you mean and you're obviously entitled to feel that way, but I'm intrigued by the prospect of a NIN album that is complex without coming from a place of anger and depression. Whether we'll get that or not I don't know, but I think it's a possibility.
    I didn't make that mistake, not at all. In fact, it's not even complexity that I'm looking for(With Teeth being one of my favorite records), and truthfully my comment didn't really reflect my own thoughts on what's to come. It was essentially aimed at the people who are increasingly disappointed with the new records, as they push further and further away from what's been done. If that makes sense.
    I actually think CBH is a pretty fucking great track.. And my comment about the whole thing feeling lazy was pretty much entirely about the new era in terms of artwork, since it's obviously recycled from the TDS era.. I'm sure it's no coincidence, and Trents up to something, but I was just hoping for some new and exciting artwork...

Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    So let's just throw out five years of Ghosts and two motion picture scores?

And no one is saying they want TDS 2.0; just more of a cohesive effort that was missing at points in WT and The Slip. Year Zero displayed that he can still create an album that maintains a common theme, albeit a very technical one given the way it was created.
    The film scores are vast and completely awesome, and to incorporate that kind of thing into HM would be a welcome addition..
    GHOSTS on the other hand has always felt supremely undercooked to me, falling VERY far from any of his past instrumental work. They've always been fragments
    of some thing that could have been great had he spent time really putting them together and fleshing them out.. That probably wasn't the point of the record, though..
    Last edited by pigpen; 06-12-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    $125 for section 310 in the Boston Garden
    Holy fucking fuck. What????

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The film scores are vast and completely awesome, and to incorporate that kind of thing into HM would be a welcome addition..
    GHOSTS on the other hand has always felt supremely undercooked to me, falling VERY far from any of his past instrumental work. They've always been fragments
    of some thing that could have been great had he spent time really putting them together and fleshing them out.. That probably wasn't the point of the record, though..
    Agreed fully on GHOSTS, and as you pointed out, the 'snippets' didn't feel finished; but I too think the goal of GHOSTS wasn't about making an album but more about displaying ideas.

I also agree in hoping for some of the soundtrack/ghost 'feel' to the new album. No clue if it's gonna happen but I'll be optimistic until I hear another song

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So this thread has gone completely off topic because two separate arguments over semantics. Nice job! I might as well play along.

I'd bet the farm that the guitar part in Broken were recorded as riffs and then processed. I doubt that they were working off samples of individual notes. But it doesn't really fucking matter, does it?

The argument over what constitutes "rock" is beyond stupid.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    I'd bet the farm that the guitar part in Broken were recorded as riffs and then processed. I doubt that they were working off samples of individual notes. But it doesn't really fucking matter, does it?
    Nope, it does not matter. A bunch of us said we prefer it when NIN rocks, and we do know what that means. It doesn't matter how the sound was achieved; it only matters that it rocks.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    My only point was I prefer when NIN does more electronic/computer based stuff and less "rock" stuff....
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 06-13-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Might have been mentioned, but the track is #18 on the Billboard rock charts. nice debut!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Closer+ Vessel+ THTF+ God Given+ Me Im Not=CBH, why is this bad???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    typical new-nin-song ets scenario:
    1. just after release - OH MY GOD IT SO GOOD!!!
    2. 9 days later - meh, this song doesn't feel fresh enough... man, i want SOMETHING NEW!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Might have been mentioned, but the track is #18 on the Billboard rock charts. nice debut!
    Strange, I just checked and it's #13 on the rock songs charts, not 18...Even better!

It's actually #18 on the alternative songs chart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So do we have multitracks yet, so I can make a truly terrible mashup?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    You get the acapalla and I'll get the Monster Mash instrumental.