Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shitty Music--90's edition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    and nose. and labret. and the weird effect of having a barbell through the underside of your tongue for ten years. and oh god, i'm so glad i stopped at a 00 when i was gauging my ears.

just speaking for myself.

i dunno, there was something about the "alternative" one-hit wonders from that time. "bittersweet symphony" by the verve is one of my favorite songs ever.

i'm fully aware of the fact that the stones basically wrote it.
    They did not, and the fact that all profits of the song went to The Rolling Stones have be one of the saddest, more infuriating things that happened in modern music. Probably the final blow to the sampling culture.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    They did not, and the fact that all profits of the song went to The Rolling Stones have be one of the saddest, more infuriating things that happened in modern music. Probably the final blow to the sampling culture.
    No artist gives a fuck about sampling or borrowed riffs until the "offending" party's song hits high praise and colossal sales. Then they want to claim and pinch pennies out of people.

Biggest offender of that is Eddy Grant with Gorillza's Stylo.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    the problem is that we're still shuffling off the coil of morons who don't understand how much the musical world is challenging, and while they don't listen to new music in a real appreciative sense, they think they should weigh in on a legal level, because they think that's something they get.

Sampling isn't song-theft, and every Grammy voter who "appreciates" Ed Sheehan can fuck off if they ever complained.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    How about...

"How Bizarre" by OMC (just annoying)
    "Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop (so fucking repetitive)
    "Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane (reminds me of 6th grade)
    "Kiss From A Rose" by Seal (I just can't)
    "Informer" by Snow (no comment needed)

Songs that spawn dances that go with them are always bad news, so this list is woefully incomplete without "Macarena" by Los del Rio.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here's another song in the 90s that... ugh.... annoyed me and my sister to death as every time it's on the radio. We were like... NO!!!!

Dionne Farris' "I Know" Overplayed to fucking death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    No artist gives a fuck about sampling or borrowed riffs until the "offending" party's song hits high praise and colossal sales. Then they want to claim and pinch pennies out of people.

Biggest offender of that is Eddy Grant with Gorillza's Stylo.
    The fact that The Verve actually cleared the sample before releasing the song makes it even worse. After its success, it was all about the length of the sample they supposedly had permission to use.

A sample whose original recording hasn't anything to do with The Rolling Stones, let's remember it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Firehouse - Love of a lifetime. I heard that song so much in middle school i hate to this day.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    "Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop (so fucking repetitive)
    I remember all these "critics" soiling themselves with love for Cornershop when that boring fucking song came out. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. I remembered thinking to myself "so I just have to come up with a musically simple repetition, and then say something meaningless and annoying on top of it? Like "Spoony met the barber in the crab shack" or "Temples twiddle noisy if you start the bath"

FUCK that song. I've been assured the rest of the album is better. I will never find out if that's true.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I remember all these "critics" soiling themselves with love for Cornershop when that boring fucking song came out. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now. I remembered thinking to myself "so I just have to come up with a musically simple repetition, and then say something meaningless and annoying on top of it? Like "Spoony met the barber in the crab shack" or "Temples twiddle noisy if you start the bath"

FUCK that song. I've been assured the rest of the album is better. I will never find out if that's true.
    wow, i did not remember the song until just now when i listened to it. hilariously, from the description on the youtube video

...they have become known 'as the greatest cult band of the last 20 years', & each one of these albums have been known as 'criminally underrated'.
    yeah...sure...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    wow, i did not remember the song until just now when i listened to it. hilariously, from the description on the youtube video

yeah...sure...
    I remember critics were saying this album will be remembered for many years and it was often at the top of a lot of critics' year-end lists with Radiohead in 2nd. I was like "huh?" I liked "A Brimful of Asha" the first 10 times I heard but I got tired of hearing it after a 100 times. To me, Cornershop was just a one-hit wonder band that I could care less about.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    "everybody needs a bosom for a pillow ..."

*jumps aboard the cornershop hate wagon*

something from 1997 that a lot of people think sucked that i enjoyed was savage garden. well, i really liked two of their songs, anyways. three if you count their "last christmas" cover.

anyone remember duncan sheik's first record? came out about the same time. "barely breathing" was huge, but that whole album is great.

trying real hard to stay on-topic:

i hated bone thugs n harmony for one reason: the fucking "thuggish ruggish bone." like, get outta here. barf. every idiot wannabe tough guy (in 9th grade, mind you ... in the mean streets of rural southern idaho) thought it was the shit. nope, just shit in general.
    Last edited by kel; 04-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    My sister thought Bone Thugs N Harmony were the best thing ever as that song "Thuggish Ruggish Bone" was annoying for its chorus and that one guy who was rapping fast and such. Another song that bugged me was "First of the Month" which I think was about welfare checks. I did like "Tha Crossroads" although I think they lost some of their grit when they collaborated with Mariah Carey on one track and another collaboration with Phil Collins?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Ehhh, judging a band because so-and-so liked them is kind of petty. There’s plenty of songs I liked (and didn’t like) that people I had in common liked (and people I had a lot in common didn’t like the same song).

Its like judging NWA’s Express Yourself- very “poppy”, and they rapped about how weed was whack lol.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    oh, no ... that came after hearing it over and over. the pricks who dug it came later. i love hip hop, and i was really into tribe and public enemy before that shitstain.

it's just a shit song.

let's keep this going ...

BUSH. yes, a lot of you love them, revere sixteen stone, many of you can't remember just how uncool they were and that album was. they really were the fucking nickelback of the 90's.
    Last edited by kel; 04-18-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post

BUSH. yes, a lot of you love them, revere sixteen stone, many of you can't remember just how uncool they were and that album was. they really were the fucking nickelback of the 90's.
    What you just said 100% fact. My sister thought they were the best band ever and she said that Stabbing Westward was better than NIN. I got really pissed off by the comment on the latter. Stabbing Westward had good tunes but we all know they were 2nd rate NIN.

Here's a song I'm sure some of you remember that is crap. "Are You Jimmy Ray?" Remember that piece of shit? I was like.... "oh fuck. This is awful". It was some asshole with a quoif hairdo or something with a big guitar thinking he's Elvis and sang this awful pop song that is just repetitive. Yeah, the 90s did suck.

"Macarena" was awful and my parents hated that song. I hated that song. My sisters hated that song. We're Hispanic and people were like "you don't like that song?" We're like "it's shit!" And I swear to God, I think "Despacito" is today's version of the "Macarena". I fucking hate that song too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here in Spain we got to suffer the original Macarena for three whole years before that remix went global. Just when it seemed the song was going to be put to rest, then bam! A remix that makes the song even more horrible for quite a few extra years.
    Last edited by Shunt; 04-19-2018 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    Here in Spain we got to suffer the original Macarena for three whole years before that remix went global. Just when it seemed the song was going to be put to rest, then bam! A remix that makes the song even more horrible for quite a few extra years.
    And for that in speaking for all Hispanic-Americans, I want to say that I'm sorry you had to endure that bullshit. The fact that people were doing that stupid dance all over the country makes me ashamed of being a human being.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    this song perfectly sums up how I feel about 311

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Anyone involved with the Macarena song and Sugar Ray should be shot into the sun. And the blow up of boy bands later in the decade = ugh. Fuck Ricky Martin too.
    I always hated Sugar Ray. What an absolute joke of a band. I'm sure what got them signed were the singer's cheekbones.
    I remember thinking their first album cover art was hot.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 04-19-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I always hated Sugar Ray. What an absolute joke of a band. I'm sure what got them signed were the singer's cheekbones.
    I remember thinking their first album cover art was hot.
    That was Nicole Eggert from Baywatch. I did like that song "Mean Machine" from the first album but everything else was shit. Plus, Mark McGrath is a total chode. Always looking smug and thinks he's smarter than everyone every time he appeared on Rock N' Roll Jeopardy on VH1. Man, I wanted to challenge his no-talent ass and beat him to a bloody pulp on that game.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yup, I was gonna put a song by those dorks on the list I posted upthread and forgot.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    No one mentioned a few pieces of shit like The Goo Goo Dolls (technically 1986 formed but mainly 90’s trash in prominence), the awful Dave Matthews Band and the vapid 311.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Goo Goo Dolls are fucking crap. They claim to be a real band when they were just a lame hardcore band that wanted to be the Replacements and then they softened up to become top 40 bullshit. 311 is alright but they got overplayed as I remember so many white kids in high school trying to be Jamaican or black just because of 311.

OK, what is the worst music video of the 1990s? I believe that this is the worst video of the 1990s in terms of how cheesy it is, the bloated sentiment, and how ridiculous it is as I'm convinced that Nelson were among the reasons why people hated glam metal. If you can find a music video from the 1990s worse than this, I will kiss your ass.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Goo Goo Dolls are fucking crap. They claim to be a real band when they were just a lame hardcore band that wanted to be the Replacements and then they softened up to become top 40 bullshit. 311 is alright but they got overplayed as I remember so many white kids in high school trying to be Jamaican or black just because of 311.

OK, what is the worst music video of the 1990s? I believe that this is the worst video of the 1990s in terms of how cheesy it is, the bloated sentiment, and how ridiculous it is as I'm convinced that Nelson were among the reasons why people hated glam metal. If you can find a music video from the 1990s worse than this, I will kiss your ass.

I actually kind of like Ricky Nelson. He was the most gifted, and certainly the coolest of the Nelson clan (his father was Ozzie, his sons in the band Nelson).

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    No, Ricky Nelson was cool. "Garden Party" is a kick-ass song. Plus, how can anyone not love "Hello Mary Lou" with that incredible guitar solo by James Burton? Nelson on the other hand were just fucking awful. A teeny-bopper act disguised as a glam metal band with horrendous videos. This video is just the worst. I don't know what video from the 90s was worse than that. Maybe it's the other videos Nelson did.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I see your posts ETS, and I raise you two Smashmouths & a Chumbawumba:

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The only time I ever liked that Chumbawumba song was seeing it in a documentary about Spalding Gray where he does a monologue about his time with his family where he brings a boombox and said this is the one song they all danced to. It was hilarious.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I see your posts ETS, and I raise you two Smashmouths & a Chumbawumba:

All songs I'm only likely to hear at Applebees. I find myself wanting spinach dip and chips at 5:13 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    You guys obviously haven't witnessed the glory that was Euro-Rap (a.k.a. hire a chick with a great voice, some black dudes that look like your cliche rappers and cover classic songs with having the chorus run for HOURS). Check it out:

Also, there was this thing called Euro-Dance:

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @r_z i recently made my friend tiff a mix that was basically all stuff like "mr. vain", "be my lover", and "another night, another dream" because it was what we grew up listening to. i unironically enjoy that stuff while still laughing at its ridiculousness. it's just fun and danceable. i didn't realize there was a name for that particular genre.

also, dj bobo has a song called "love is all around" that my wife and i change to fit what we're talking about (i.e. "buns are all around" when we're making veggie burgers, "fuzz is all around" when our cats get hair all over us, etc.)