Thread: Shitty Music. (The Nickelback Thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

You say their first two albums are "perfection," and then you say you're not a fan... Confusing!

classic Disturbed!

Punk as fuck...

Yes you can.

Good on you for blaming your birthday for having bad taste.
    Musical taste is subjective, not sure what you are on about. I do like those records, but I also consider NIN to be my favorite "band", so you have to reach big if you want to twist it around, trying to prove I have an objectively bad taste when I love the same shit as you do as well.

And why would my birthday not matter? Teenage years are pretty influential for every individual, so the place and circumstances you get to experience it shapes you greatly. I remember, I was around 17 when my doc (had a sore throat or something) randomly told me to enjoy myself because this is the most important time of my life. I was like wtf, but in hindsight I understand what he meant (in the context he meant it, of course). It was like a carefree sandbag mode of acting like adults. Our core friend circle is still based on high-school acquintances, and having our first 5 years reunion last year was some The Offsrping - The Kids Aren't Alright shit right there.
    Among other things, music you were hooked on so much are bound to be close to your heart. My father was listening to a bunch of songs to which they were acting all rebellious against the Communist regime, and why I dug some of those, they could never have the same impact on me, as it was him and his friends who got beaten the fuck up by the police after those concerts and such. While my experience with LP was less dramatic, as I was among the first generation to be born into democracy and capitalism, I still hold it dear. The sole reason I'll probably go to their show at VOLT is because a friend of mine is so adamant about it. He hasn't listened to anything since M2M (refuses to) and our taste differs quite a bit, as I am more into melodic stuff, while he digs more technical music, HT and Meteora were still enough to make him buy an obnoxiously overpriced ticket blindly. So yes, age does not matter.

And no, you can't ignore Linkin Park if you are discussing early 2000 music, because you can't ignore nu-metal. While nu-metal has been in the works for way earlier than the 2000s, they exploded into the mainstream back then. Whether it was one hit wonders (Crazy Town), hip-hop oriented (Limp Bizkit), metal oriented (Slipknot) or I can't even defy what-oriented (POD, Papa Roach) it was fucking everywhere. Kids with SOAD-LP-Korn-Slipknot shirts, baseball hats with LB logos and all the smuggling of CDs with pirated nu metal songs. It was the last time heavy music was commercial TV and radio friendly.

Wow bud, which one do you hate more? Dry statistics or undeniable mainstream domination? You might've forgotten or chose to ignore the latter, so let's summon the numbers, shall we? Do you want to know the three most successful bands/performers from 2000-2004 excluding The Beatles? Of course you don't, because they were Eminem, Linkin Park and Avril Lavigne. Britney Spears.

Linkin Park is the only metal band who sold at least 10 million copies of a record in the 2000s. Linkin Park is the only metal band for 17 years now, who managed to sell more copies in a given year than anyone else in the world. Linkin Park is the most commercially successful metal band of the 2000s, and they did the whole feat within 4 years.

Damn dude, did you get consumed by alternative facts or what happened? You had a cryofreeze? Even the latter is not an excuse, because there are plenty of ways to educate yourself on what went down in early 2000 if you somehow missed it, let alone be so confident in claiming such bullshit.

Well, if you are 40 then I guess listening to a cassette is about as interesting as traveling by a car, but compared to where the technology now, cassettes and VHSs seem like dinosaur stuff. And it's pretty funny imo to think about such a hip band as LP being on a cassette.

And not being a fan does not mean I can't be over the moon for some of their work. I consider myself a NIN fan, because I am still enjoying everything they put out, I am investing (and enjoying, this is the key part) myself in some discussion about their music (or just reading others theories about their stuff), crossing my fingers to see them again live, instabuying my tickets, and overall, feeling like that they define everything I love and want from music as an art. While HT and Meteora are such records (not surprisingly, given how the guys are a fan of NIN, obviously borrowing ideas and ways to approach their music), their later work never really resonated with me. NIN did a bunch of weird and different stuff and remained NIN; LP did the same, but they abandoned themselves - which is their choice and I won't judge them for it.

I like the fact that you are so blatantly and factually wrong, given your arrogance in other areas of life, but I won't jump on the easy (and cheap) opportunity to try to make a connection, because your basic incomprehension about music does not say anything else about you, and I can only hope that when you are as adamant about spreading your views on other topics, you actually know what you are talking about, unlike here. You are not entirely wrong about one thing though, which is the quality of the first two Linkin Park records. That is a subjective question, which can not really be debunked by facts, so to that one I have to agree to disagree with. It's definitely an interesting topic, but I think discussing it with someone who thinks Linkin Park was not influential in the music industry in the early 2000s would be like discussing racism with a KKK member - the whole premise is doomed. So let's just agree you think that they are overhyped shit, while I think they are nearly perfect, in their genre especially.

Now, you can pick one of the following:
    - Say that you were just trolling and I got Jebaited, and I just typed out stuff you knew already, so jokes on me. You got me, bud!
    - Say that sale records are manipulated by the Illuminati, you never even heard a nu-metal song (let alone a Linkin Park one) in the early 2000s and that your beloved garage band who made a breakthrough performance in front of 136 attendants in your local bar was more influential and prominent in the early 2000s than this Linkin Park I keep mentioning.
    - Given the length of my post and me being prone to phrase certain sentences, not ideally since my brain tends to fuck me over when it comes to English, just grab one or two sentences or words out of context and twist them around so you can sound smart or even right.
    - Resort to the classic "wow, you are so wrong and I am so right that I won't even try to argue your points, because I am right". If someone could win the freakin' presidential election with this same tactic, then I am sure a mere argument on an online board is easy-peasy for this method.
    - Surprise me!

In any case, my somewhat qualified advice to you is to leave your presumptions and judgements at the door. You made an ass out of yourself just because you don't like me for not seeing eye to in an entirely different topic, so you came in here all trigger-happy to "pwn me", because that would've made you even more validated in our argument from a... week ago or so? For someone campaigning against a short-minded, hateful individual who holds grudges worse than a little child, you sure show your peers how a normal, adult human being should behave! Maybe when you reach the depths of trying to make assumptions based on me (or anyone else, for that matter) liking two of the most famous records in the early 2000s, you should sprinkle some water onto your face. We have such liberal and accepting threads on this board where gay and transgender people can gather and discuss stuff, and I am being bashed out of spite for liking a certain kind of music?! ayyyyyyy

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Musical taste is subjective
    No shit? In my subjective opinion, Linkin Park is bullshit.

not sure what you are on about.
    No shit?

I also consider NIN to be my favorite "band"
    Whoopty fucking do...

so you have to reach big if you want to twist it around, trying to prove I have an objectively bad taste when I love the same shit as you do as well.
    Not really... Practically everyone likes The Beatles. That doesn't mean I think practically everyone has good taste. Also, objectively? Where did I say that?

And why would my birthday not matter?
    Because it doesn't?

Teenage years are pretty influential for every individual, so the place and circumstances you get to experience it shapes you greatly. I remember, I was around 17 when my doc (had a sore throat or something) randomly told me to enjoy myself because.... blaaaaaaaaah blah blah blah blah blah
    fascinating

blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah... blah... So yes, age does not matter.
    Yes! You are correct! It doesn't matter because your nostalgic fondness for something doesn't mean it's good... it means kids like dumb crap.

And no, you can't ignore Linkin Park if you are discussing early 2000 music, because you can't ignore nu-metal.
    Yes, I can. I do it all the time.
    Maybe if we're talking about early 2000 music in the Shitty Music thread, then yeah, it's hard to ignore that elephant in the room... but if I was having a conversation about good music, I don't see the need to take time out of that discussion to say "oh, and by the way, Nu Metal sucked."

This is like saying that a conversation about cinema in the year 2014 needs to talk about Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Wow bud, which one do you hate more? Dry statistics or undeniable mainstream domination? You might've forgotten or chose to ignore the latter, so let's summon the numbers, shall we? Do you want to know the three most successful bands/performers from 2000-2004 excluding The Beatles? Of course you don't, because they were Eminem, Linkin Park and Avril Lavigne. Britney Spears.
    Success doesn't imply anything valuable about the product as an artistic work. See the point above about Transformers: Age of Extinction if you're still not getting this...

Linkin Park is the only metal band who sold at least 10 million copies of a record in the 2000s. Linkin Park is the only metal band for 17 years now, who managed to sell more copies in a given year than anyone else in the world. Linkin Park is the most commercially successful metal band of the 2000s, and they did the whole feat within 4 years.
    That song from the Frozen soundtrack outsold everything else in the year it was released. Does that mean it has to figure its way into every conversation about music from that year? This is a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it for you anyway. No, it does not mean that.

Damn dude, did you get consumed by alternative facts or what happened? You had a cryofreeze? Even the latter is not an excuse, because there are plenty of ways to educate yourself on what went down in early 2000 if you somehow missed it, let alone be so confident in claiming such bullshit.
    If every conversation about anything needs to be footnoted by commercial success, then we'll be too busy talking about stupid shit to even get to the point of the conversation. Other good music came out the same year as Linkin fucking Park's debut album, and I'd rather talk about that. I'm allowed to have a conversation about music in the year 2000 without talking about the stupid shit that was marketed to kids. But here we are in the Shitty Music thread, so I'm talking about Linkin fucking Park.

Well, if you are 40 then I guess listening to a cassette is about as interesting as traveling by a car, but compared to where the technology now, cassettes and VHSs seem like dinosaur stuff. And it's pretty funny imo to think about such a hip band as LP being on a cassette.
    I just turned 37, but I remember when the CD was an exciting new format.

Also, listening to Linkin Park is about as "hip" as giving your mom an erotic foot massage.

And not being a fan does not mean I can't be over the moon for some of their work. I consider myself a NIN fan, because I am still enjoying everything they put out
    Almost every artist I am a fan of (NIN included) has put out stuff that I think is pretty underwhelming. There's really only a handful of musicians where I can say that I like everything they've done... maybe Autechre. I'm a fan of Francis Ford Coppola, but that movie he made where Robin Williams ages at an alarming rate sucked.

I like the fact that you are so blatantly and factually wrong

Except I'm not.

given your arrogance in other areas of life, but I won't jump on the easy (and cheap) opportunity to try to make a connection, because your basic incomprehension about music does not say anything else about you, and I can only hope that when you are as adamant about spreading your views on other topics, you actually know what you are talking about, unlike here.
    Where... WHERE did I say "Linkin Park did not sell a shit ton of records?" A ton of people saw Gladiator. It won a bunch of awards, including best picture at the Oscars. It's still a bad movie, and I can talk about that year in cinema without mentioning it.

You are not entirely wrong about one thing though, which is the quality of the first two Linkin Park records. That is a subjective question, which can not really be debunked by facts so to that one I have to agree to disagree with. It's definitely an interesting topic, but I think discussing it with someone who thinks Linkin Park was not influential in the music industry in the early 2000s would be like discussing racism with a KKK member - the whole premise is doomed. So let's just agree you think that they are overhyped shit, while I think they are nearly perfect, in their genre especially.
    I've worked in the music industry. I truly do not think you have the slightest clue how long of a conversation I could have about the music industry in that year without even bringing up Nu Metal.

Being influential doesn't denote value. Scientology is influential.

- Say that you were just trolling and I got Jebaited, and I just typed out stuff you knew already, so jokes on me. You got me, bud!
    - Say that sale records are manipulated by the Illuminati, you never even heard a nu-metal song (let alone a Linkin Park one) in the early 2000s and that your beloved garage band who made a breakthrough performance in front of 136 attendants in your local bar was more influential and prominent in the early 2000s than this Linkin Park I keep mentioning.
    - Given the length of my post and me being prone to phrase certain sentences, not ideally since my brain tends to fuck me over when it comes to English, just grab one or two sentences or words out of context and twist them around so you can sound smart or even right.
    - Resort to the classic "wow, you are so wrong and I am so right that I won't even try to argue your points, because I am right". If someone could win the freakin' presidential election with this same tactic, then I am sure a mere argument on an online board is easy-peasy for this method.
    - Surprise me!
    How about I just ask what the fuck "Jebaited" means instead, since I've already dealt with all of your other options.

In any case, my somewhat qualified advice to you
    Oooooooooh, qualifications?

is to leave your presumptions and judgements at the door. You made an ass out of yourself just because you don't like me for not seeing eye to in an entirely different topic
    No, I laughed at the idea that you think the first two Linkin fucking Park albums are "perfection." I also said it wasn't surprising that you feel that way.
    By all means, go fucking nuts and write another essay where the point is constantly sailing over your head.
    For someone campaigning against a short-minded, hateful individual who holds grudges worse than a little child, you sure show your peers how a normal, adult human being should behave!

Yes, I think most normal adults don't listen to music that is aimed at kids who are furious that mom made them do their homework before playtime.

Maybe when you reach the depths of trying to make assumptions based on me (or anyone else, for that matter) liking two of the most famous records in the early 2000s, you should sprinkle some water onto your face. We have such liberal and accepting threads on this board where gay and transgender people can gather and discuss stuff, and I am being bashed out of spite for liking a certain kind of music?! ayyyyyyy
    Are you saying that transgender rights need to be protected and respected on a similar level to the feelings of Linkin fucking Park fans in a thread called "Shitty Music?" GTFO

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    How about I just ask what the fuck "Jebaited" means
    I think it's Jinsai + Debated

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    No shit? In my subjective opinion, Linkin Park is bullshit.
    Good for you m8.

Because it doesn't?
    It does.

fascinating
    Thank you.

Yes! You are correct! It doesn't matter because your nostalgic fondness for something doesn't mean it's good... it means kids like dumb crap.
    You are clearly not playing the dumb here if you put effort into your responses, so you are actual this stupid, which is quite the feat. Nostalgia can make you like certain things more, but I never said that it makes them objectively better.

Yes, I can. I do it all the time.
    Maybe if we're talking about early 2000 music in the Shitty Music thread, then yeah, it's hard to ignore that elephant in the room... but if I was having a conversation about good music, I don't see the need to take time out of that discussion to say "oh, and by the way, Nu Metal sucked."
    Influential does not need to have any qualities in your book. Whther you like a period of time in music or not, it happened, and Linkin Park was one of the heavy-weight champions of that era.

Success doesn't imply anything valuable about the product as an artistic work. See the point above about Transformers: Age of Extinction if you're still not getting this...[/QUOTE]
    But like it or not, the Transformers saga has become trend-setting and unavoidable as well. Maybe it's the dark horse of the movies in the last years, but you can't ignore it's success and the implication. We are living in a time where making such a shitty movie as Transformers over and over again pays good. Decades later, the success and dominance of Transformers will be taught. It represents many cancerous traits which it perfected and other franchises followed suit and cashed in on it.

That song from the Frozen soundtrack outsold everything else in the year it was released. Does that mean it has to figure its way into every conversation about music from that year? This is a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it for you anyway. No, it does not mean that.
    Yes, it does. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the most covered song of the year. How does one of the biggest hits of that year not fit into a conversation? Also, LP was reigning for years so it's even more prominent.

If every conversation about anything needs to be footnoted by commercial success, then we'll be too busy talking about stupid shit to even get to the point of the conversation. Other good music came out the same year as Linkin fucking Park's debut album, and I'd rather talk about that. I'm allowed to have a conversation about music in the year 2000 without talking about the stupid shit that was marketed to kids. But here we are in the Shitty Music thread, so I'm talking about Linkin fucking Park.
    Why do you take everything literally? When I say you can't ignore it, I mean their relevance and influence back then. It doesn't fucking matter you liked them or not, or if literally every single record made by other artists during those years were better than HT and Meteora and not. Nu metal (the same way the emo scene after that) ruled part of the music landscape and Linkin Park was its flagship. No one gives a fuck what you or me thought about LP or nu metal. If we are making a documentary about the evolution of music and what polluted the mainstream channels you can't ignore LP.

I never said if you want to talk about some record that came out in 2001 you have to say "... but Linkin Park was fucking huge back then, hope you remember!!!"

Where... WHERE did I say "Linkin Park did not sell a shit ton of records?" A ton of people saw Gladiator. It won a bunch of awards, including best picture at the Oscars. It's still a bad movie, and I can talk about that year in cinema without mentioning it.
    What enjoyment does playing on words gives to you? Yes, your sentence is technically right. You can do whatever you want. So? If you are making a documentary about that year and its movies, you'd be fired the instant your employers see you did not even talk about Gladiator. Like, say that you think it sucked and did not deserve the glory it got, but it happened and you have to accept it. How you treat that movie in your private life is up to you, but it happened. That's my point,

I will rephrase and recite it as many times as needed for you to understand I am not talking about your physical ability of being or not being able to speak or not to speak about something.

I've worked in the music industry. I truly do not think you have the slightest clue how long of a conversation I could have about the music industry in that year without even bringing up Nu Metal.
    I just had to take on my jacket, that's how cool you are.

Do you have kids? Are you planning on popping some out? If so, is this how you will teach them about stuff? You just skip out things you don't like or think was overrated? Maybe you casually skip WW1, because it was pretty boring compared to WW2, and you knew at least 70 more interesting conflicts between 1914-1919, which you think were more interesting.

- Daddy, what did the teenagers were all hooked on in the early 2000s?
    - LSD, I had some nice trips. That's why daddy walks funny now.
    - I mean, musically!
    - Oh, gee! Well, you know, pop music has always been dominant.
    - But not everyone liked pop music, right?
    - Sure, rap is also evergreen. There's always some mainstream rap song going around!
    - But what about the heavy stuff, like rock or metal?
    - Oooh, you want to listen to The Fragile again?!
    - Pls no, not that again... and it was in 1999.
    - Well I don't know then, nothing comes to mind.
    - Not even a genre that maybe ruled for years in the metal scene?
    - I feel like I am missing something, but can't quite put my finger on it.
    - Maybe an entire teenage generation grew up on this genre? That should be pretty remarkable, right?
    - Yeah, that should be, but I don't think such a thing happened.
    - You would surely remember a metal record that holds the highest commercial success in the last 20 years of metal, right?
    - Surely, but I can't. Now go back and listen to the Dark Side Of The Moon before you piss daddy off.

Being influential doesn't denote value. Scientology is influential.
    And people talk about Scientology. And will continue talking about it. If you want to have a discussion about organized religion, then Scientology has to be mentioned.

Sorry, if people want to have a discussion, I should completely drop the you, because you are a special snowflake and tries your hardest to show me that.

How about I just ask what the fuck "Jebaited" means instead, since I've already dealt with all of your other options.
    It's a more memey version of baited. Jebaited is an emote on Twitch.tv, so it was first used in the gaming community: when someone got baited (aka lured into a trap) the viewers kept spamming Jebaited which was an emoticon of some sort. Then it leaked out to other communities.

I should have warned you that you are dealing with a Meme Lord.

No, I laughed at the idea that you think the first two Linkin fucking Park albums are "perfection." I also said it wasn't surprising that you feel that way.
    Are you a moderator here? You are too hardcore not to be.

Yes, I think most normal adults don't listen to music that is aimed at kids who are furious that mom made them do their homework before playtime.
    Lyrical content and musical quality can be treated separately. Also, many of LP lyrics are pretty basic stuff all bands make music about. Love, depression(/mental struggles), addiction. These topics pretty much cover a vast majority of lyrical content of every performer, politics and globalisation following them. Mike made some dope lyrics, whether you care to admit or not. (no, I tried so hard and got so far is not among them )

Are you saying that transgender rights need to be protected and respected on a similar level to the feelings of Linkin fucking Park fans in a thread called "Shitty Music?" GTFO
    No, I am saying that being a moron AND an asshole at the same time is never excusable. You jerk your cock on how liberal thinking you are, and here you are, riding my dick for considering two records absolutely great. You are as bigoted as the people you seem to detest the most. Full circle, as they say.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    You are clearly not playing the dumb here if you put effort into your responses, so you are actual this stupid
    Bravo. I'm done here. Oh no, I'm a BIGOT because I think Linkin Park sucks and their fans have bad taste.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Bravo. I'm done here. Oh no, I'm a BIGOT because I think Linkin Park sucks and their fans have bad taste.
    I said many times it is okay to hate whatever you want, not sure why you keep riding that. I'm an atheist, but I don't go around arguing everyone who believes in something. "OH MY GOD, YOU REALLY THINK THERE'S A GOD UP THERE? XDDDD BOY, YOU ARE SO FUCKING DUMB, LOL!!!!"

And I am not a fan since.... mhm, let's say 2007, I had hopes for M2M but it shattered them all. 10 years too late, bud.

Thinking that liking two records from LP implies bad taste is still much better than the way you introduced your opinion.

And thank you, owning your idiocity is most welcomed. =)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    >release date: 1994
    Again, no shit? I bought it when it came out. It was a point in response to your weird mention about how impossible it was for Cannibal Corpse to ever go to number one; a band that peaked in popularity around the same time.

Sorry, if people want to have a discussion, I should completely drop the you, because you are a special snowflake and tries your hardest to show me that.
    Snowflake? Did you come up with that all by yourself?

By the way, listen snowflake... if you wanna bitch about how you're being unfairly treated so cruelly because you like Linkin Park, I have a pacifier for you.

I should have warned you that you are dealing with a Meme Lord.
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHY didn't you WARN me!!?!?!?!

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Again, no shit? I bought it when it came out. It was a point in response to your weird mention about how impossible it was for Cannibal Corpse to ever go to number one; a band that peaked in popularity around the same time.

Snowflake? Did you come up with that all by yourself?

By the way, listen snowflake... if you wanna bitch about how you're being unfairly treated so cruelly because you like Linkin Park, I have a pacifier for you.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHY didn't you WARN me!!?!?!?!
    Do you think CC and Pantera is in the same category? A rhetoric question.

I did not come up with snowflake myself, it's an expression I learned a long time ago, and now I put it to good use! And no one treates me badly for liking two of the most iconic records of the early 2000s (okay, if we take it more seriously, HT is the real shit), just you tried your hardest to plummet me wtih this laughable shit cuz you are a vengeful and hateful person.

And I would've warned you, but you never listen! And here you are, getting memed left and right. The horror!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Do you think CC and Pantera is in the same category? A rhetoric question.
    More or less the same genre, yeah. Fans of one band tend to like the other... just one was more popular than the other for a variety of reasons. BTW, that wasn't a rhetorical question. Keep trying.

I did not come up with snowflake myself, it's an expression I learned a long time ago, and now I put it to good use! And no one treates me badly for liking two of the most iconic records of the early 2000s (okay, if we take it more seriously, HT is the real shit), just you tried your hardest to plummet me wtih this laughable shit cuz you are a vengeful and hateful person.
    Hybrid Theory is definitely shit, yes.

And I would've warned you, but you never listen! And here you are, getting memed left and right. The horror!
    Do you even know what memes are, Meme Lord?

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    More or less the same genre, yeah. Fans of one band tend to like the other... just one was more popular than the other for a variety of reasons. BTW, that wasn't a rhetorical question. Keep trying.

Hybrid Theory is definitely shit, yes.

Do you even know what memes are, Meme Lord?
    Well, if fans of one like one another, then it's pretty much the same genre. Flawless logic imo. Don't you mind your factual errors again that they are in fact, represent two different genres, CC being much heavier, you have anecdotal evidence of fans liking one another's band, you don't need anything more.

Maybe shit, but an iconic shit buddy.

Of course I do, but I have to use them sparingly because I understand you don't know all of them. You seem to struggle with some basic shit like numbers to begin with, so I can't just throw you into the deepest of memes.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Musical taste is subjective, not sure what you are on about. I do like those records, but I also consider NIN to be my favorite "band", so you have to reach big if you want to twist it around, trying to prove I have an objectively bad taste when I love the same shit as you do as well.

And why would my birthday not matter? Teenage years are pretty influential for every individual, so the place and circumstances you get to experience it shapes you greatly. I remember, I was around 17 when my doc (had a sore throat or something) randomly told me to enjoy myself because this is the most important time of my life. I was like wtf, but in hindsight I understand what he meant (in the context he meant it, of course). It was like a carefree sandbag mode of acting like adults. Our core friend circle is still based on high-school acquintances, and having our first 5 years reunion last year was some The Offsrping - The Kids Aren't Alright shit right there.
    Among other things, music you were hooked on so much are bound to be close to your heart. My father was listening to a bunch of songs to which they were acting all rebellious against the Communist regime, and why I dug some of those, they could never have the same impact on me, as it was him and his friends who got beaten the fuck up by the police after those concerts and such. While my experience with LP was less dramatic, as I was among the first generation to be born into democracy and capitalism, I still hold it dear. The sole reason I'll probably go to their show at VOLT is because a friend of mine is so adamant about it. He hasn't listened to anything since M2M (refuses to) and our taste differs quite a bit, as I am more into melodic stuff, while he digs more technical music, HT and Meteora were still enough to make him buy an obnoxiously overpriced ticket blindly. So yes, age does not matter.

And no, you can't ignore Linkin Park if you are discussing early 2000 music, because you can't ignore nu-metal. While nu-metal has been in the works for way earlier than the 2000s, they exploded into the mainstream back then. Whether it was one hit wonders (Crazy Town), hip-hop oriented (Limp Bizkit), metal oriented (Slipknot) or I can't even defy what-oriented (POD, Papa Roach) it was fucking everywhere. Kids with SOAD-LP-Korn-Slipknot shirts, baseball hats with LB logos and all the smuggling of CDs with pirated nu metal songs. It was the last time heavy music was commercial TV and radio friendly.

And not being a fan does not mean I can't be over the moon for some of their work. I consider myself a NIN fan, because I am still enjoying everything they put out, I am investing (and enjoying, this is the key part) myself in some discussion about their music (or just reading others theories about their stuff), crossing my fingers to see them again live, instabuying my tickets, and overall, feeling like that they define everything I love and want from music as an art. While HT and Meteora are such records (not surprisingly, given how the guys are a fan of NIN, obviously borrowing ideas and ways to approach their music), their later work never really resonated with me. NIN did a bunch of weird and different stuff and remained NIN; LP did the same, but they abandoned themselves - which is their choice and I won't judge them for it.

I like the fact that you are so blatantly and factually wrong, given your arrogance in other areas of life, but I won't jump on the easy (and cheap) opportunity to try to make a connection, because your basic incomprehension about music does not say anything else about you, and I can only hope that when you are as adamant about spreading your views on other topics, you actually know what you are talking about, unlike here. You are not entirely wrong about one thing though, which is the quality of the first two Linkin Park records. That is a subjective question, which can not really be debunked by facts, so to that one I have to agree to disagree with. It's definitely an interesting topic, but I think discussing it with someone who thinks Linkin Park was not influential in the music industry in the early 2000s would be like discussing racism with a KKK member - the whole premise is doomed. So let's just agree you think that they are overhyped shit, while I think they are nearly perfect, in their genre especially.

- Surprise me!

In any case, my somewhat qualified advice to you is to leave your presumptions and judgements at the door. You made an ass out of yourself just because you don't like me for not seeing eye to in an entirely different topic, so you came in here all trigger-happy to "pwn me", because that would've made you even more validated in our argument from a... week ago or so? For someone campaigning against a short-minded, hateful individual who holds grudges worse than a little child, you sure show your peers how a normal, adult human being should behave! Maybe when you reach the depths of trying to make assumptions based on me (or anyone else, for that matter) liking two of the most famous records in the early 2000s, you should sprinkle some water onto your face. We have such liberal and accepting threads on this board where gay and transgender people can gather and discuss stuff, and I am being bashed out of spite for liking a certain kind of music?! ayyyyyyy
    Hazekiah, is that you?

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    LP reached legend status? LP is like the modern Rolling Stones? ...pass the crack, bro!
    They can make whatever music they want, and it will sell.
    Mainstream media still loves them.
    They can fill any arena and can headline any festival to this day, and I send you 5$ the first time a festival won't mention their name at the top (of that day).
    They keep doing charity stuff and events. Actors win Oscars on the fact alone that they did gruesome things to play their role (ie. losing a lot of weight), so yeah, if you want legend status, you can't just make good or popular music.
    They also involve themselves in political and globalisation stuff.

You can frown and hate how the "new" Rolling Stones is Linkin Park instead of some quality stuff, but that won't change the fact. Of course, "being the Rolling Stones" means something different than beng the Rolling Stones in their time. There are no more rock idols, Linkin Park doesn't represent a lifestyle, etc. But the same way Metallica still sells a festival day to this day, Linkin Park will do the same 15 years from now as well.

I hear some new good rock/metal music now and there, but I haven't heard of any mainstream breakthrough bands lately. The mainstream metal news were shaken by the new records of Korn and Metallica, and the announcement of the new SOAD record. It's sad, but true. Other metal artists are stuck in their own circle - which is fine, many great metal bands tour the world and sell records successfully, but I wish we had new blood coming in to the mainstream as well. I like pop, EDM, etc., I like songs like Ed Sheeran's Shape Of You and such, but sometimes I wish a new metal band would just explode into mainstream, shaking up the current bestsellers.

But hey, I bite. Tell me, who else will have such an evergreen status as the likes of Rolling Stones from artists in the rock or metal genres? Metallica is a given I think, I'd add Radiohead too. I'd also like you to:
    - exclude pop-rock, because I believe that's a bit cheating. Pop has been a genre that always dominated music, no matter the time, and even with all the commercial elements of nu-metal, that was still miles heavier than Coldplay.
    - tell me your thoughts why Linkin Park does not fit in that group.

Also, don't get hooked on Rolling Stones, I could've said other bands which made such a name for themselves once, that they could release a 5 hour long country record, people would still go and fucking watch them live.

Too bad it's impossible to discuss music in a civil way, because many people represents a circle of hate of rap-->pop-->rock/metal--->electronic, and everyone thinks their shit is the quality one, while other genres has no quality, and shit just gets deeper when people start prejudicing against their genre's subgenres, because X kind of rap/pop/rock-metal/electronic is absolute garbage compared to the Y variation of it and vice versa. Like, the moment I would say that I believe Kanye produced some incredible tracks, at least 3 people would jump at me, enlightening me that real music is Pink Floyd and Queen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Sorry for taking us off the rails here, but with the paradigm shift over the last 20 or so years from CDs to MP3s now to subscription streaming, would anyone hit the same level of success today… at least as far as commercial album sales are concerned? The era of the casual music listener having to buy the physical album for $15 to get the couple of radio hits they want is over. Trent was spot-on with this comment a few years back,

“music IS free whether you want to believe that or not. Every piece of music you can think of is available free right now a click away.”

I honestly don’t keep up with most modern music, but is any artist selling albums into the millions today? I would think very few command those numbers except for maybe the poppiest of pop and hip hop stars like Taylor Swift or Kanye.

Linkin Park is sill around today, and while their last album wasn’t a commercial flop by any stretch, I don’t think it did nearly as well as most of their prior albums here in the US. A buddy of mine is a big LP fan, it’s noteworthy to say he is almost 20 years younger than myself. So anyway, he has made sure that over the course of our kickin’ it time that I've heard his LP collection, on several occasions. It’s safe to say that A Thousand Suns is the one and only album of theirs that I don’t mind occasionally listening to. It’s also safe to say that I’d probably personally find LP to be much more palatable without Michael Shinoda’s rapping.
    I just checked, LP has 69 million + followers on Facebook. SOAD, who made more mature songs and lyrics have 20. Now, SOAD is godawfully successfull as well, I'm just saying that the power of Linkin Park is ridiculous, if you think about the fact that Rihanna, one of the biggest pop stars of our era has 81 million followers.

They will never ever sell as many records as they did, and they clearly don't want to. You said you liked the Suns record. You see, that's one of the appeal of LP. They hooked in millions of teens with their first two records, and now they make vastly different records which are bound to click with people with other tastes. My friend said he never listened to anything after M2M because "it's fcuking garbage". Yet, he was over the moon, just like me, when it was announced they are coming to Hungary for the first time ever. Hell, I am the one hesitating buying a ticket, when he already told me he is going, 150%. Why? Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Why will Linkin Park headline every goddamn festival 5-10-15 years from now? Hybrid Theory and Meteora. Whether they are talented or not, one thing no one can deny: they were at the right place at the right time.

And no, Linkin Park is not around anymore. Even if their new record sold 8 billion copies (starving African kids bought 2!!), it wouldn't do jackshit for up and coming metal artists. Heavy is not even pop-rock, it's pop. The Weeknd makes heavier music than Heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Hazekiah, is that you?
    Based on the introductory section on Wikipedia, this seems flattering. What's the catch?