Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dream NIN Lineup for 2016

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nobody. He should stay in the studio and just start pumping out new music, Beatles style.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't get why people immediately start talking about "the tour" when the actual news is that there is new NIN material on the way!! The prospect of NEW TUNES/ALBUM ART/DIRECTION is what we should be getting off on, not working on a "dream lineup" where washed-up, coattail riding Danny Lohner is back in a (fictional at this point) live band.
    (JMJ is a far better musician anyway.)

Now that TR actually has a reason to like being home, tours are a beating and take at least full year of HIS life to produce, rehearse and perform and we fans individually get ONE awesome night in our city. ALBUMS LAST FOREVER. IMO, if he wants to tour in the future, cool...I'll be there and have ONE great night. If he wants to stay home, pump out music and tuck his kids in bed at night, even better...I'll have the music forever and can jump around my house covered in starch with pantyhose on my arms EVERY night.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatebdp View Post
    I don't get why people immediately start talking about "the tour" when the actual news is that there is new NIN material on the way!! The prospect of NEW TUNES/ALBUM ART/DIRECTION is what we should be getting off on, not working on a "dream lineup" where washed-up, coattail riding Danny Lohner is back in a (fictional at this point) live band.
    (JMJ is a far better musician anyway.)

Now that TR actually has a reason to like being home, tours are a beating and take at least full year of HIS life to produce, rehearse and perform and we fans individually get ONE awesome night in our city. ALBUMS LAST FOREVER. IMO, if he wants to tour in the future, cool...I'll be there and have ONE great night. If he wants to stay home, pump out music and tuck his kids in bed at night, even better...I'll have the music forever and can jump around my house covered in starch with pantyhose on my arms EVERY night.
    You know for a fact Trent wants and likes to stay home now? You chat with him regularly? He could be itching to get out on the road. You never know. Your assumption is in no way any more valid than a thread assuming there maybe another tour.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by placepinion View Post
    You know for a fact Trent wants and likes to stay home now? You chat with him regularly? He could be itching to get out on the road. You never know. Your assumption is in no way any more valid than a thread assuming there maybe another tour.
    ...he has two young children and a wife. I reckon he likes being around them. In fact, he literally said that in interviews during the last tour.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    ...he has two young children and a wife. I reckon he likes being around them. In fact, he literally said that in interviews during the last tour.
    He also said he'd be looking at shortening his touring cycles.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    They should have Paz Lenchantin on bass and Jerome Dillon on drums. Bring back some of that "organic" sound...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    They should have Paz Lenchantin on bass and Jerome Dillon on drums. Bring back some of that "organic" sound...
    How about they get Paz and Jerome in the band...

and Paz plays a church organ. With a liver and a heart and a brain all on top of the organ...

would that be ORGANic enough?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Only if Jerome plays various drums made from animal hides, sinew, and bones.
    Paz plays organ, using organs with organs.
    Trent replaces his tambourine with a vest similar to that of Rattleshirt and runs a fox skull over it.
    Charlie Clouser uses an early 80's macintosh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I just wish that the thing with Adrian Belew had somehow worked out... Saw him live a few years ago and he's bringing so much intensity and fun to the stage, especially for someone his age! And he plays the craziest stuff...
    On the other hand, I wouldn't want to miss Robin Finck How about two guitarists? And two bassists! Pino and JMJ play both very different styles, but maybe they would complement each other. And while I pesonally like Josh Freese's drumming style the most, I think Ilan is as good as him. The only one-person thing for me is Cortini on synths. No-one has ever been better at that in the band TBH.

Okay, with Cortini on synths you could pretty much mix any of the above options and I would be beyond happy

Edit: I was just thinking about all the great contributions Belew made to the studio albums. Obviously he's the master of the outro guitar (The madness in Mr Self Destruct, the essential guitar theme in The Great Below, and the incredibly insane last 10 seconds of In Two) and Ghosts wouldn't be Ghosts without him.
    Last edited by Dr.Z; 02-05-2016 at 03:13 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Trent - Duh
    Josh Freeze - Drums
    Alessandro Cortini -Synths
    Aaron North - Guitar and crazy hair guy
    Danny Lohner - Bass

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am thinking....

TR
    and...
    Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem!

There you go. All sorted.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    I am thinking....

TR
    and...

someone please photoshop this.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Bass: Danny Lohner
    Drums: Chris Vrenna or Josh Freese
    Guitar: Robin Finck
    Synths: Charlie Clouser

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    2007 line-up. nuff said.

[edit] although with either Freese or Rubin on drums. both are equally great.
    Last edited by hani; 02-19-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    TR
    and then the band that Ty Segal has put together backing him.. Mikal Cronin and King Tuff!!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    I am thinking....

TR
    and...

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    someone please photoshop this.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The only person I need to see live is Reznor, the rest is filler. Don't care, never have, never will. NIN=Trent Reznor!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    The only person I need to see live is Reznor, the rest is filler. Don't care, never have, never will. NIN=Trent Reznor!
    That hasn't been true since PHM, and wasn't really true then you know

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Compared to a band like Coldplay where they have been a band since day one but can anyone name anyone else but Chris Martin?, I think Trent has done really well to find band members that people do actually care about despite all being hired hands

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Just to be antagonistic - anyone but Aaron! Seriously though, I really loved the 2013 line up. It probably sounded even better in 2014, but only through touring hard rather than through Josh leaving, so I'd still go with that. If I had to replace Ilan I'd like to see Chris back, and I'd be thrilled to see Danny replace Josh should it be needed, but otherwise I'm pretty set on Robin and Ally.
    As for a potential Tension style set-up - I'd be pleased to see backup singers and a bigger band, just as long as they get the balance right. I'm not sure it always worked - on certain songs anyway. One thing I was gutted not to see in 2014 was Mariqueen joining in for an HTDA track or two. I guess that will remain a super rare thing, but who knows?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    posted this on my friend's facebook because he's obsessed with the muppets.
    his friend responded with the following:

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yeah, I just couldn't be bothered to find live pictures that would go well together. It was late and I was half drunk. Your friend wins.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is gonna sound weird, but

Vocals: Trent
    Guitar: Stephen Carpenter
    Bass: Jesse Keeler
    Synth: Amon Tobin
    Drums: Dave Grohl

Each song would be kind of 'remixed' with the new guys collaborating with Trent to put a new spin on the songs. It might not work, but maybe it could, and each one could bring their talents to reinterpret each song. Its not my dream line-up per se, but its kind of a 'what if' scenario.
    Last edited by Millionaire; 02-22-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

It's moments like these that make me hope Trent still lurks from time to time.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Just to be antagonistic - anyone but Aaron!
    you take that back

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    The only person I need to see live is Reznor
    Yeah, you obviously haven't seen the infamous TR iPhone App incident. Anyone who was there will tell you that all things considered Trent is a rather overrated element in live NIN.

(You'll never guess which song is being played here!)

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Yeah, you obviously haven't seen the infamous TR iPhone App incident. Anyone who was there will tell you that all things considered Trent is a rather overrated element in live NIN.

(You'll never guess which song is being played here!)

What did I miss?...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Trent (duh.), Robin, Alessandro, Palladino and Freese.
    I like Ilan, but Josh is way cooler.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Reznor. Finck. Rubin. Cortini. Relatively unknown cat.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    Reznor. Finck. Rubin. Cortini. Relatively unknown cat.