Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: U2

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Thanks for the waste of space, Apple. Now, time to download 4 fucking gigabytes' worth of iOS.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DF118 View Post
    Thanks for the waste of space, Apple. Now, time to download 4 fucking gigabytes' worth of iOS.
    Once again it's not exactly a waste of space if it's easily deletable.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Once again it's not exactly a waste of space if it's easily deletable.
    It's a waste of space because it takes up space on your computer and it sucks. The ability to delete it doesn't change that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Exactly. If you shit through my letter box, the fact that I can dispose of the shit doesn't disguise the additional fact that someone shat through my letterbox.

I'm not in the habit of checking my iTunes playlist daily for shitty albums that have Apple and U2 have decided to download to my phone impromptu. I expect to have some control over my playlist, not to mention my remaining disk space. I have to know it's there before I can delete the fucking thing.

Am I fucking glad I'm no longer an iOs developer. Taking time out of my day so I can delete something I didn't ask for in the first place.
    Fuckers. I'm done with Apple. Bono's always been a twat.
    Last edited by DF118; 09-21-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    For everyone who is bitching AND complaining, get over it. Why waste more time bitching about it rather than just deleting it?
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 09-24-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Thank you!!!

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    For everyone who is bitching AND complaining, get over it. Why waste more time bitching about it rather than just deleting it?
    This kind of response to criticism is really always lame. If someone thinks a marketing campaign is stupid, it's really unhelpful to respond with "if you don't like it delete it!" Ditto to people saying that the album that magically showed up in their inbox is shitty, "well, if you don't like it so much delete it!" You're missing the point, but you're such a hardcore U2 fan, I guess that's to be expected.

People discuss things on message boards, including stuff they do not like. Instead of bitching and moaning about it, offer a counter point. Defend this shitty album, or don't and just enjoy it.

Speaking of this album, the cover art just got revealed. Somehow, it's even more ridiculous than the music. Even you hardcore U2 fans have to admit the art is REALLY bad.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm a U2 fan and I will admit this is most likely their worst cover ever, it even beats htdaab.
    With that said I don't get all the bitching, just get over it, why waste your time going on and on about this, this is just a bloody record, it's not like your life depends on it.
    Maybe some people need to get a life so they can start to care about what matters for them.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    There seems to be a running theme here... It goes something like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I'm a U2 fan
    I don't get all the bitching
    At least we can all agree that the cover art is awful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    To busy to worry about the bitching by awaiting the extra tracks and acoustic versions on the physical release.
    Also the test release artwork will remain the album artwork in my mp3's

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah the new cover is terrible, but fuck it the one given with the iTunes album is already fine so I can easily just not update the cover photo. But man, yeah it's pretty bad. The test pressing cover is perfect for the theme that they're going for on the album. The new cover just seems borderline... predatorial. And I hate saying that but, yeah.

Oh oh well though, I still really like the music and that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    FWIW the new album has me digging back into their catalogue and finally listening to the deluxe ed. of Achtung Baby and pulling out my Salome bootleg tapes!

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I dunno. There's something incredibly arrogant about the idea that everyone in the world with itunes wants a new U2 album. Without even needing to ask. Of course you want the new U2 album, what are you talking about?

For some reason I didn't get my download (maybe I haven't "updated" my software or whatever: why would I, it only slows my Apple machines down a lot). So I downloaded it from itunes for free. I haven't listened to it yet, but I can't wait. I am sure it is incredible and totally deserving of all the high praise it's been getting. I hear "Danger Mouse" worked on it. And...some trendy producers who also worked with some famous popstars of the moment, I forget who.

Also, if Apple paid Bono + co. a billion dollars for the new album, that's not enough. Not close. They should pay them more, a lot more. Infinite money might cover it. But maybe not even that. Immortality might work.

What I love about U2 is that they think big. They want to change the world. And the best way of doing that is going right to the corporate center of things and showering in a bunch of money.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I dunno. There's something incredibly arrogant about the idea that everyone in the world with itunes wants a new U2 album. Without even needing to ask. Of course you want the new U2 album, what are you talking about?

For some reason I didn't get my download (maybe I haven't "updated" my software or whatever: why would I, it only slows my Apple machines down a lot). So I downloaded it from itunes for free. I haven't listened to it yet, but I can't wait. I am sure it is incredible and totally deserving of all the high praise it's been getting. I hear "Danger Mouse" worked on it. And...some trendy producers who also worked with some famous popstars of the moment, I forget who.

Also, if Apple paid Bono + co. a billion dollars for the new album, that's not enough. Not close. They should pay them more, a lot more. Infinite money might cover it. But maybe not even that. Immortality might work.

What I love about U2 is that they think big. They want to change the world. And the best way of doing that is going right to the corporate center of things and showering in a bunch of money.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Since I started listening to U2 during Joshua Tree days, with Achtung Baby one of the best LPs ever for me, this is the first time I am really disappointed by U2, which is surprising given Invinsible is quite good. Not only are most of the songs boring (except Troubles), they also sound horrible. Is this "mastered for deaf iTunes users with crappy headphones" or what? Sibilances (sp?) in first song are unbearable. Or, Raised by wolves, not bad song but why on earth they had to spoil it by that silly vibrato on voice.

Anyway, reminds me Zooropa. After Achtung Baby, I was suprised they released such low-profile no-production garage-band done-in-one-week-sounding record, and it took me some 20 years to understand and really enjoy it. :-)

Edit: Plus, does Every breaking wave copy Every breath you take on purpose?
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-06-2014 at 03:22 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Not trying to bash just because; but the physical edition of "Songs of Innocence" has an horrible cover...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Not trying to bash just because; but the physical edition of "Songs of Innocence" has an horrible cover...
    I totally agree with you on that. It's so fucking creepy.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The Physical Packaging for the deluxe edition is super underwhelming too. For a band who's deluxe editions have constantly been extremely high quality and full of extra artwork, etc, the Songs of Innocence deluxe packing is super boring. Definitely can tell they rushed the physical release.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I really like the album cover, i thought it was awkward and an odd choice at first but now i love it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Trent's take on the U2 thing from a billboard interview

What did U2 get right -- and what did the band get wrong -- with the Songs of Innocence delivery through iTunes?
    As an artist, when I make a piece of music, I'd like you to know it's out there. I don't want to force it down your throat, but I would like you to know that if you'd like to, you might brush against it -- it exists somewhere. So I can see the incentive behind what they wanted to do. I was with Bono that day. I was at the Apple event and we were hanging out after they did it. There's an immense sense of pride toward the album he just spent several years making. He was very proud of what he did.
    I think the misstep was the wording: If it would've been, "Here it is, if you want it, come grab it..." I am assuming the momentum of that situation led to the oversight in not thinking that people might feel intruded upon.

A recent touchstone was the Beyoncé record, which had a high price and put a high value on music. Putting no price on an album: Does that devalue things?
    It's something I spent a lot of time thinking about. I think that paying for music is a relic of an era gone by -- and I'm saying that as somebody who hopes you pay for music. I've spent my life trying to make this thing that now everyone thinks should be free. U2, there [was] an incentive to get in front of as many eyes as possible. I can see what was appealing to them about that, and they're getting paid for it. There's the argument of, "Did that help further devalue music?" Yes, I think it did.
    When you put your music on, or allow your music to be on, YouTube, which is free, is that [devaluing music]? There's a whole generation of kids that listen to music on YouTube, and they'll suffer through that ad if there is one. They're not going to pay a dollar for that song -- why would you? It's a complex problem

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I finally got around to listening to Songs of Innocence and feel that it's very "meh." I'd give it maybe 2.5/5 or 3/5 stars if I was feeling generous. It's not a terrible album and all of the songs are pleasant enough--it's just very, very bland, middle-of-the-road and safe, IMO. No songs really grab hold of you and leave a lasting impression. This is a U2 album for an adult-contemporary, Coldplay audience. I understand that with any band you will have people compare newer material with past glories and people will complain and I think it's great when an artist tries to cover new ground--but I don't think U2 is doing that here. To me it just sound like a recycled collection of mid-tempo songs, i.e., "In God's Country," "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses," etc., only not nearly as good. I have no idea how Rolling Stone could give such a mediocre album five stars.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-05-2014 at 05:57 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I have no idea how Rolling Stone could give such a mediocre album five stars.
    Easy, they try to grab any semblance of relevancy by kissing Bono's ass.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    New Tour Dates!!! I just signed up for my first ever U2.com account ($85) and it got me access to a spcial pre-sale that starts in 3 hours (9am PST) as well as a U2.com only double live vinyl!!!

DATE LOCATION VENUE PRE-SALE
    MAY
    Vancouver, BC CA Rogers Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    Vancouver, BC CA Rogers Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    San Jose, CA SAP Center at San Jose Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    Los Angeles, CA Forum Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    MAY
    MAY
    MAY
    JUN
    Montreal, QC CA Bell Centre Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUN
    Montreal, QC CA Bell Centre Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUN
    Chicago, IL United Center Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUN
    Chicago, IL United Center Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUL
    Toronto, ON CA Air Canada Centre Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUL
    Toronto, ON CA Air Canada Centre Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUL
    Boston, MA TD Garden Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUL
    Boston, MA TD Garden Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUL
    New York City, NY Madison Square Garden Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    JUL
    JUL
    JUL
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 12-05-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    DATE
    SEP
    Turin IT Palaolimpico Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Turin IT Palaolimpico Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Amsterdam NL Ziggo Dome Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Amsterdam NL Ziggo Dome Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Stockholm SE Globe Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Stockholm SE Globe Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Berlin DE O2 World Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    SEP
    Berlin DE O2 World Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    Barcelona ES Palau San Jordi Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    Barcelona ES Palau San Jordi Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    Antwerp BE Sportpalais Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    Antwerp BE Sportpalais Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    Koln DE LANXESS Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    Koln DE LANXESS Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    London, GB GB O2 Arena Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    OCT
    OCT
    OCT
    NOV
    Glasgow GB SSE Hydro Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    NOV
    Glasgow GB SSE Hydro Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    NOV
    Paris FR Bercy Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon
    NOV
    Paris FR Bercy Thurs 10am to Sat 12noon

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I've been a U2.com member since they first started in 2005 and had a code for the Experience group yesterday. It was genuinely the roughest presale I've ever been in. The code didn't work half the time, Ticketmaster dropped out on every load, and I never did see GA floor pop up. And then finally after 45 minutes you could finally start carting seats, only to have Ticketmaster give you an "Unable to process your request" error message once you go to pay screen, losing those tickets. Eventually the only seats I was able to secure were behind the stage, so I'm not too solidly pleased on that experience. Hoping I'm able to get floor seats for the second Chicago show in the general sale on monday, though I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by richardp; 12-05-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I was able to secure 2 floor for san jose 2 this morning, it was absolutely painless, it sucks tho for experience members, TM is really a joke, and an expensive one at that.
    Now i have to get night 1, during the general onsale, which will be a different story...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    @richardp - I had the same issues with the pre-sale today. I ended up securing floor tickets for the 2nd Vancouver show but when I tried to get some for the 1st night, it kept saying my code wasn't good. I'm hoping to score GAs on monday as well for night 1

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    4 days in a row at the Forum? Is U2 still that popular?

also... I thought Bono was seriously hurt?