Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: "greatest hits"-tour in europe

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I thought All Time Low sounded great in the Southern Hemisphere footage I saw - its funny that I thought HM was supposed to be minimal etc according to Trent yet those are the songs that need an 8 piece band. Anyway I'm hoping for more of it in the uk
    I listend to HM again today at work thinking about this. Songs like satellite, In Two, Running, While I'm Still Here/ Black Noise haven't been played since Tension so they may not have been rehearsed for a 4 piece. I would for you was played only a few times and we know what he thinks of Everything. Its a shame, because those songs they aren't playing are the strongest post Fragile songs NIN has done I think.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    we know what he thinks of Everything.
    Last I knew (I haven't read any of the most recent interviews so that might have changed) Trent liked Everything, and before HM was released thought that NIN fans would like it too. But he saw how a good number of fans reacted, and decided not to play it live. They certainly learned it last year, though, since we can hear them play it during one of the Vevo behind the scenes videos.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Last I knew (I haven't read any of the most recent interviews so that might have changed) Trent liked Everything, and before HM was released thought that NIN fans would like it too. But he saw how a good number of fans reacted, and decided not to play it live. They certainly learned it last year, though, since we can hear them play it during one of the Vevo behind the scenes videos.
    Yeah, he said it was annoying all the whining about it and didn't want to play it. I like it, took a while to grow on me I'll admit.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm going to start a campaign to whine about Terrible Lie to ensure he never plays that again, because Everything is so fucking good and I wish he'd play it, teach y'all a lesson

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    And it was even originally planned on the v1 Lollapalooza setlist before they revised it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    And it was even originally planned on the v1 Lollapalooza setlist before they revised it.
    I'm starting to think that was like the OSR concert setlist with "Perfect Drug." Just mindfuckery.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I'm starting to think that was like the OSR concert setlist with "Perfect Drug." Just mindfuckery.
    Perfect Drug was printed but not played? What show?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    The Open Source Resistance show. The "ARG show" that the "swat team" "crashed" right before when TPD was on the setlist.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The Open Source Resistance concert. During the ARG, they gave out ammo cases from the back of a truck in LA, and a very few of them had cell phones in them. Those people later got phone calls and ended up at a tiny NIN concert that got filmed. They punked them. On the setlist was "Perfect Drug." Right before that part of the "setlist" the concert was "raided" by "government operatives" out to arrest the "resistance"... and "Perfect Drug" never got played.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Ok, thanks! I didn't recognize the acronym. I was thinking it was Outside Lands but a typo.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I like that we both used hella quote marks.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentofChaos View Post

And Kitty; they havent played one show. This is a build up of the festival circuit last summer, japan, austrailia, new zealand, latin america etc.
    If that's the context they've played at least four songs from the album regularly, so your argument doesn't stand. Is there something that I'm missing about Latvia? Is it suddenly the king of the world that will forever be held in history as a postermark for future and past concerns on this tor?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    If that's the context they've played at least four songs from the album regularly, so your argument doesn't stand. Is there something that I'm missing about Latvia? Is it suddenly the king of the world that will forever be held in history as a postermark for future and past concerns on this tor?

Naw actually, the argument does still stand up completely because playing 4 songs regularly from a new record getting doesnt live up to what TR suggested the return of NIN live was, it lives up to the tried and true strategy for an older classic rock band, which is churn out a new record, sell a few copies, but tour the living daylights out following up its release, playing mostly the classics and yeah sure a few new songs to promote it, which in my eyes is fine, but again, counter intuitive to what Trent suggested his motives were in the beginning, and still to this day, surprisingly. When artists fall in love with a new record they've put their heart and soul into, their set lists tend to become structured around that, to display the material in the best light and to showcase where they are now as an artist, and that is far from what has been the case all over the world for basically a year now. If people want to make excuses and turn a blind eye than go right ahead but stop engaging me on technicalities and semantics. Now this doesnt make the live shows not enjoyable, so it's really not a huge issue in the big scale of things, but when I look around at other bands I like and I see what they are doing with their catalogue's and their sets based on their newer material, it just makes me a little jaded. Maybe I don't what to admit what NIN has become, maybe because TR can't admit it to himself yet... they are in the process of becoming a classic rock band. Pretty sure that's why Belew left, he wasn't interested in doing that (but that is 100% speculation on my part I have no idea why, obviously). And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that on both sides. Things become classics for a reason. I just need to stop expecting things out of the band, which is hard, because of the promises he tends to make, but thankfully a lot of what I've felt has become missing from the band has shown up in other areas anyway like HTDA (best show I'd been to in a long time) and the scores. Reznor himself is far from washed up and still has plenty to offer musically unlike a lot of his contemporaries, but I think it's time to accept that NIN live for the foreseeable future will continue to be nothing more than what it is now and has been for the last x amount of years; You go to rock out, rage to march, cool down to the Frail, pump your fists, clap your hands, hear some yeahs, get your triple H combo and call it a night. And if youre lucky you get Eraser or BYIT or something.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^
    But...but you saw Tension - isn't that what you wanted? And he kind of can't afford that big band thing worldwide and make money on the tour. it's just financial reality although I think I've said that before

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah and I was extremely lucky to see it. But this isn't about me. If NIN plays say 120 shows in a year.... and only 30 of them are Tension sets, it's clear what the norm is. What the standard is for a regular NIN show in this era. I understand the lack of production and the 8 piece outside of NA I'm not complaining about that at all it was a nice bonus for sure, but I also dont believe those things are required to have similar sets to that of Tension and have it be effective. You just have to change up the other songs to fit the aesthetic a little more. Why is it that he can't play I Would For You or Satellite or In Two or Various Methods or While I'm Still Here unless he has two back up singers? These are supposed to be the songs that invigorated him to come back on tour, for him to drop them so quickly is very off when the only excuse that can be suggested is he has to play the hits to these rarely visited markets when he still played all the hits on the Tension tour too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was just hoping for a Hesitation Marks tour. A Hesitation Marks set-list with some of the older tracks mixed in. I'll be 'disappointed' to see only 1 new song live

I would have been happy to experience the full production, backing singers etc, just because it would have been different to before. I will always enjoy the show... It's just great to see and hear something different.

On the other hand, I'm pretty stoked to be seeing Jane's 'Nothing Shocking' live in Manchester!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I for one hope the "greatest hits" tour becomes part of the Soundgarden tour and I am a hardcore fan. However, just once I would like to hear Fragile.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Re: SG tour, I don't want a greatest hits tour but there are fans that want to hear the hits, so those are a give in..I suspect the setlist will comprise of the hits, several off HM and a couple songs to mix things up some. Who knows.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Oslo setlist happened, this thread is invalid.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    But they played more than one song that they've played in the past 5 years, clearly Trent is just rehashing shit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    No Satellite

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    NIN are playing in Berlin tomorrow... My favourite band in my favourite city.

Wonder if I can sell my car, book a flight and get there in time.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In regards to the greatest hits tour... I remember some old interview with TR where he said something about seeing Rush play live and when they started getting into their new material all he could think was "play fucking tom sawyer".

The man had pretty much a whole deep cuts tour when they toured with Jane's and those of us who got to be there were lucky.

What should he do? Have fans vote on the set list like Metallica?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That'd be cool . . .

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    What should he do? Have fans vote on the set list like Metallica?
    Yes.
    tenchars

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Ew no, don't let fans dictate an entire setlist. Having requests or w/e is fine, but not "play this even though it would sound bad in this order"

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    If he did a request thing, fans would still request closer, head like a hole and we'd still moan about no deep cuts.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    He would get a flood of "TPD!" "TAPEWORM!" "PUREST FEELING LOLOLOLOL!" and say something about his fans being cunts.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I .. actually WOULD want purest feeling though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Also the Copenhagen setlist is brilliant (even prefer it over Oslo).Did they actually play any open air venues yet?They'll do tomorrow and the show will most likely start out with daylight.Wonder what that means for the visuals, so far I could resist looking them up on instagram etc.Really looking forward to dragging my cold-ridden arse to Berlin tomorrow.