Page 101 of 195 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 5833

Thread: Vinyl Collectors Unite!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

angelo badalamenti - twin peaks: fire walk with me
    2xLP on cherry pie vinyl
    while i enjoy the soundtrack from the first season of the tv series, the soundtrack for the film blows it way out of the water. i waited to spin this until we had rewatched the film but it definitely stands on its own as simply a fantastic album.

light bearer - silver tongue
    2xLP in hand-screen-printed, die-cut sleeve, with hand-screen-printed fabric, limited to 300 copies
    sad this band imploded before they could release all four planned chapters of this project (they only did two) but the music is absolutely incredible, so i'm glad it exists at all

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post

angelo badalamenti - twin peaks: fire walk with me
    2xLP on cherry pie vinyl
    while i enjoy the soundtrack from the first season of the tv series, the soundtrack for the film blows it way out of the water. i waited to spin this until we had rewatched the film but it definitely stands on its own as simply a fantastic album.
    Jealousy levels....rising.

I got an album coming to me in the mail, hopefully I should be getting it Tuesday after the holiday.

@Ryan The Skeletons pressing from Bull Moose should be out next week so expect your album to come and the shipping charges info then.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Anyone else realizing that the only way for the Childish Gambino "Awaken, My Love" cardboard VR headset to work is to take your phone out of the case and basically cut 2/3 of one of the cardboard flaps for it to work properly?

Don't get me wrong, it's cool and all, and the packaging for the box set looks stellar, but I think I would've been fine paying less for the vinyl without the headset. Vinyl sounds AWESOME though, and has a bonus little live track at the end of the record.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Jealousy levels....rising.

I got an album coming to me in the mail, hopefully I should be getting it Tuesday after the holiday.

@Ryan The Skeletons pressing from Bull Moose should be out next week so expect your album to come and the shipping charges info then.
    Thanks mang!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

COIL - time machines
    2xLP on black vinyl
    now playing

echo & the bunnymen - heaven up here
    anniversary gift from my wife
    hands down my favorite echo album

the time - what time is it
    2017 RSD pressing on green vinyl "limited" to 5500 copies
    so glad they put out a new pressing of this, somehow missed it being on the RSD list but my local shop still had a couple copies when i went in the other day

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    New addition

Carcass - Surgical Steel (Release Day LE Silver Vinyl, unsure of press details involving quantity due to Discogs not having this particular version listed)

Last edited by Space Suicide; 06-03-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    "Pump" by Aerosmith (180g 2016 reissue)
    "Dangerous Dub" by King Tubby meets Roots Radics (1996 reissue)
    "August and Everything After" by Counting Crows (200g 45RPM 2012 audiophile reissue)
    "Laika Come Home" by Spacemonkeyz vs. Gorillaz (2002 original) (wait! this comes with two tracks that aren't listed)
    "Rise Again" by Lee Scratch Perry (2011 release)
    "Outside The Echo Chamber" by Coldcut & On-U Sound (2017 8x7" release)
    Last edited by MrLobster; 06-15-2017 at 11:24 PM. Reason: I bought more... I have a sickness.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    gave the ol record player a workout today w/ some newer releases

Is that a spiral slipmat?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    ^ spiral slipmat from nin.com a year or two back. it was overpriced, but i couldn't resist

recent treasures:

Midori Takada - Through The Looking Glass

Gigi Masin - Talk To The Sea

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Had to exchange a previous purchase for something(s) else due to apparent manufacturing defect (anyone else have issues with that reissue of "Pump" by Aerosmith??) and soooooo....

"Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen (1963 7")
    "Little Green Bag" by George Baker Selection (1970 7")
    "Me and Mr Johnson" by Eric Clapton (2011 180g reissue)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - T2 Trainspotting" by various (2017 2x12" release. A quality pressing with good inherent volume)
    "Gilded" by Jade Jackson (2017 12" release)
    "High Priest Of Dub" by The Scientist (2015 12" remastered release)
    "Only Heaven" by Coldcut (2016 12" release with that oversized sleeve)
    "Siamese Dream" by Smashing Pumpkins (2011 2x12" 180g reissue release)
    "The Upsetter Meets Jahtari in The Secret Laboratory" by Lee "Scratch" Perry (2016 7" release)

There, I shouldn't be picking up anything else this month...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

gary numan - telekon
    2xLP on black vinyl
    had an older, single LP version that i gave to my tattoo artist as a tip, so i needed to pick up a replacement. glad i did, because it sounds GREAT.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Say hello to Ziggy on gold wax! 45 years, that's all he's got:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Please don't kill me as this is vinyl collecting related/shameless self promotion...

My company Whiskey and Wax, is doing it's first major reissue in partnership with our friends over at Temporary Residence. This first reissue is for fans of the "post rock" genre (Caspian, MONO, Explosions in the Sky, etc...) We are specializing in deluxe edition, limited run vinyl reissues with newly expanded artwork and new releases with alternative artwork and packaging. All of our releases will only be pressed once and never again. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. This first release will be limited to 500 copies. You will more than likely see an ETS promo code for future releases.

More info coming SOON

Be sure to follow for pre-order info and upcoming releases.
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 06-17-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    ^ spiral slipmat from nin.com a year or two back. it was overpriced, but i couldn't resist
    Aren't slipmats useless unless you DJ with scratch techniques?

Sincere question. Only asking because I've gotten a couple of cool promo slipmats before and thought about using them but I read online about them and heard that they're shit for just playing records on a normal TT setup. The added layer will increase the tracking force of your stylus (obviously you can accommodate for this). But also the felt dampens the sound.

Kind of like putting your speakers on a blanket vs putting them on a hardwood floor.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    Aren't slipmats useless unless you DJ with scratch techniques?
    Yup. Felt slipmats are made so that the record will slip, as the name implies, when a DJ puts their hand on the record to scratch. They also create a lot of static. I use a cork mat. Leather mats are also good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I noticed a lot of static as well for the brief period of time I tried to use a slip. If anyone cares, you can put a couple of (unscented) dryer sheets under the thing to help.

I stick with the rubber mat, personally. Would upgrade but don't have a problem with internal noise. I've tried a few different materials (just for the fun of it) and nothing beats the direct sound quality I get on the rubber mat. Personally speaking. Technics SL-QD35.
    Last edited by tony_crisp; 06-17-2017 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_crisp View Post
    I noticed a lot of static as well for the brief period of time I tried to use a slip. If anyone cares, you can put a couple of (unscented) dryer sheets under the thing to help.

I stick with the rubber mat, personally. Would upgrade but don't have a problem with internal noise. I've tried a few different materials (just for the fun of it) and nothing beats the direct sound quality I get on the rubber mat. Personally speaking. Technics SL-QD35.
    I assume you mean putting the sheets under the mat? Those would scratch the hell out of your records if you're putting them in contact.

Rubber mats are also good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes under the mat, obviously. Haha

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I'm starting to rethink the color record thing. The whole limited edition color vinyl thing feels gimmicky, IMO. Another point is the black vinyl probably sounds the same or better. My next vinyl purchase will be black

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    I'm starting to rethink the color record thing. The whole limited edition color vinyl thing feels gimmicky, IMO. Another point is the black vinyl probably sounds the same or better. My next vinyl purchase will be black
    i hate colored vinyl for a few reasons:
    1. pressings are usually cheaper and sound worse
    2. gimmicky
    3. extra level of difficulty lining up the grooves for DJing

if given the option, i ALWAYS choose black.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    the only color that may sound better than black is clear, as it's more "pure" (vinyl starts out clear, any black vinyl is actually colored black). i personally like colored vinyl when it's done well; some of mine are GORGEOUS. but if it's not done right, there's a lot more chance of surface noise and other issues.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I also like collecting colour vinyl. That gold Ziggy Stardust vinyl I posted sounds as good or better than any other pressing I've ever heard. Unless you really need the single mix of "Starman", which is on some early UK pressings, that is.

Recently got a three-pack of Iggy Pop's 1970s studio albums and the TV Eye: 1977 live album reissued on different-coloured wax. They sound terrific.

Not incidentally, all four of these reissues are sourced from the original master tapes, not production copies... so I'd say that has a lot more impact on the sound than what kind of dye went in the vinyl (if any... the Lust for Life wax is clear).
    Last edited by botley; 06-20-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    OMG....the new Vault Package looks AMAZING.....

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

lotus thief - rervm
    2xLP with etched side D on transparent grey, limited to 150 copies

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Philippe Hallais - An American Hero (Modern Love)

The Bug vs Earth - Concrete Desert (Ninja Tune)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    gary numan - telekon
    2xLP on black vinyl
    had an older, single LP version that i gave to my tattoo artist as a tip, so i needed to pick up a replacement. glad i did, because it sounds GREAT.
    I've been meaning to listen to this for AGES and to my shame I still haven't. I decided I thought I would like it based on the fact that Trent took inspiration from one of the tracks in part of his "Metal" cover, that, and it's not too far removed from the Pleasure Principle which I love. So I spent a few years trying and failing to find it second hand in my travels, then eventually did and I'm pretty sure I bought it. But I'm not even sure! That's how bad I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    OMG....the new Vault Package looks AMAZING.....
    Fun fact! I have all (I think) of the 7" singles from that album, in all variations, and mostly all sealed, except for the NME UK cover mount ("rag and bone") which I opened and played. I've been considering flipping them. I got them for a song at the time. The Vault B-sides LP looks great in particular.
    Last edited by jmtd; 06-23-2017 at 04:20 AM.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

At long last, she is mine!

Bought for roughly half of what I usually see this go for in sealed condition on the collector's market from a guy in Europe, who later admitted he lowballed himself on the sale price because he didn't research what it sells for in brand new condition these days. This thing is sealed and absolutely pristine.

I am seriously conflicted right now as to whether I should open this. One part of me loves this soundtrack immensely and knows I would never part with this unless a family member's life depended on my doing so, and that I always buy to play and enjoy.

But the other part of me knows how rare this LP is, and how a vinyl repress is likely not happening anytime soon. Do I hold out for what could potentially be months and wait for a reasonably-priced used copy to hit the online market at some point, and keep this gem shrinked? That's still going to fetch significantly, even in overall VG+ condition..

Gaaaah

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post

At long last, she is mine!

Bought for roughly half of what I usually see this go for in sealed condition on the collector's market from a guy in Europe, who later admitted he lowballed himself on the sale price because he didn't research what it sells for in brand new condition these days. This thing is sealed and absolutely pristine.

I am seriously conflicted right now as to whether I should open this. One part of me loves this soundtrack immensely and knows I would never part with this unless a family member's life depended on my doing so, and that I always buy to play and enjoy.

But the other part of me knows how rare this LP is, and how a vinyl repress is likely not happening anytime soon. Do I hold out for what could potentially be months and wait for a reasonably-priced used copy to hit the online market at some point, and keep this gem shrinked? That's still going to fetch significantly, even in overall VG+ condition..

Gaaaah
    The Gentle Hum Of Anxiety

(couldn't resist)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Fuck this, I can't do it. This record costs $300 in this condition, and will likely only increase in value.

I've owned it on CD since release day and have it on my phone. I'm just going to play the shit out of it via traditional means for the next few months until I'm sick of it enough to rationalise this decision, rinse and repeat until a second copy presents itself to me..