Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Really Super Cool Electronica Thread

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    for all my fellow Prodigy heads up in here... if there is any up in dis bizsnatch...

"The Fat Of The Land" is celebrating its 15 year anniversary with a reissue that comes with a bonus disc of 6 remixes from some of the popular electronic artists of today...

Smack My Bitch Up (Noisia Remix)

Breathe (Zed's Dead Remix)

2012 REMIXES:
    SMACK MY BITCH UP (NOISIA REMIX)
    FIRESTARTER (ALVIN RISK REMIX)
    BREATHE (ZEDS DEAD REMIX)
    MINDFIELDS (BAAUER REMIX)
    BREATHE (THE GLITCH MOB REMIX)
    SMACK MY BITCH UP (MAJOR LAZER REMIX)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    people are remixing songs from Fat of the Land in 2012? That's a little odd

I guess if it's an anniversary (and we do these things by fives) it makes some sense... but still. Maybe it's just the part of me that doesn't get why Prodigy is such a big deal acting up.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    "The Fat Of The Land" is one of the most influential and greatest electronic albums of all time. It set records all over the world. They're in the Guiness Book Of World Records because of it. Plus they were in the record books for the amount of tracks that made it high up into the UK charts. FotL went to number one in like a dozen countries at once and was the album that really caused the first electronic music boom of the mid-90's over here in America. At the time, Radiohead's "OK Computer" was just released and FotL was outselling "OK Computer," which was in 2nd place in the UK charts, and Prodigy were outselling Radiohead 4 to 1. And we all know how big "OK Computer" was at the time. You would hear "Firestarter" being played alongside rock songs on commercial radio over here in the States.
    Last edited by neorev; 11-05-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Plus they were in the record books for the amount of tracks that made it high up into the UK charts
    love fat of the land but I'm not sure that's correct - I only recall 3 singles (smack my bitch up, breathe and firestarter), and plenty of bands have had 3 singles from an album chart highly. Smack my bitch up is legend but I don't think it was a smash hit

but yep, heady days, that album always takes me back. Come back 90s, all is forgiven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know I actually prefer Music For the Jilted Generation over Fat of the Land...Break and Enter, Voodoo People, One Love, Poison (AKA the song Jay and Silent Bob dance to in Clerks), the 3 Narcoleptic Suite tracks, and this:

I wish they would've got Proxy to do one of the remixes:

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Out of all the "electronic groups" to dominate this thread, the only name more predictable than Prodigy is Moby. If we want to make a thread about Prodigy, I'm down (and I'm ok with that, I actually like prodigy, don't get me wrong... well, actually I don't really like them that much, but whatever), but it's not like anyone interested in electronic music hasn't already heard of The Prodigy.

sorry, I'm just getting bummed out on the "yay prodigy" slant that's been happening, and I promise it only has a little bit to do with the fact that I don't give a fuck about them.

Also, while I'm here, Music for the Jilted Generation is INSANELY overrated, and it actually sucks. Liam Howlett is a (unfortunately) successful snake oil salesman of electronic music.

Sorry for being a dick.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 11-06-2012 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    love fat of the land but I'm not sure that's correct - I only recall 3 singles (smack my bitch up, breathe and firestarter), and plenty of bands have had 3 singles from an album chart highly. Smack my bitch up is legend but I don't think it was a smash hit

but yep, heady days, that album always takes me back. Come back 90s, all is forgiven
    The record wasn't for in the States, but in the UK charts with something like13 singles up until that time that made into the top 20 or something to that effect. This had to be somewhere around '97-'99, remember bumming the book from the library in high school.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Moby blows.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Siriusmo - "Nights Off"

Eskmo - "1996"

Justice - "On'n'On"

The Qemists ft. Wiley - "Dem Na Like Me (King Cannibal Remix)"

Snake River Conspiracy - "Love Song"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Basement Jaxx ft. Siouxie Sioux - "Cish Cash"

Massive Attack ft. Mos Def - "I Against I"

Leftfield ft. Roots Manuva - "Dusted"

Meat Beat Manifesto - "Acid Again"

Autechre - "Arch Carrier"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have a hard-on for Daft Punk's Homework and I often keep coming back to it, anything after that was such a letdown.
    Didn't really like Justice until last year or so, I went apeshit crazy over Cross, such a great album.
    I'm starting to dig deadmau5, not just because of the music he makes but the way he's reaching to his audience (Q's & A's on Tumblr and 4chan, live streams during the making of his latest album). I love it when he admitted that he -along with many other big names- is a "button pusher" and he made a really good point about DJs. And I think his remix of Foo Fighters' The Rope is fantastic.
    Crystal Castles all the way!

PS - last thing I've heard from The Prodigy was Girls and that's it. Still trying to bring myself to give Invaders Must Die a chance.
    Last edited by perch; 11-06-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Typos N Stuff

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @Perch
    I've been a fan literally since the 4th grade and just discovered them as "Music From The Jilted Generation" was coming out. and I was really into "Experience" at the time.

I quite enjoy "Girls," but "Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned" was their weakest release by Prodigy standards
    There was some cool demos being played lived at the start of the making of that album, but then they scrapped it and started fresh because they didn't want to make "The Fat Of The Land Part 2"
    Some cool ideas were lost or completely reworked into crappier versions for that album
    And better versions of album tracks came out a little bit after AONO's release plus some cut tracks that were made available on their greatest hits release called "Their Law," which was done so Prodigy could break their contract with XL Recordings who they weren't happy with during the AONO promo time
    If they took a little more time so that those newer mixes were on the album instead and a balance of the cut tracks that didn't make it, AONO could have been much stronger

Trigger (bits became "Shoot Down" on the album)

Little Goblin

Benny Blanco (bits became "Girls")

Nuclear (bits became "Hot Ride")

Baby's Got A Temper was the only official release from this era pre-AONO

Here's some better reworks and cut tracks from post-AONO...

Spitfire ('05) single mix

More Girls (from "Girls" single)

Back 2 Skool (AONO cut track from "Their Law")

Razor (AONO cut track from "Their Law")

Warning (AONO cut track)

Under My Wheels ("Their Law" mix)

Who U Foolin' ("Hot Ride" single)

I quite enjoyed "Invaders Must Die" though it is very upbeat... imagine the hard hitting aggressive-ness of "Fat Of The Land" but with the synths and old school rave style of "Experience" is the best way to describe it. With a new album coming 2013.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, I gotta agree with Jinsai here. If we're going to talk about a big mainstream electronic act dominating this thread why not any host of better acts? How about Underworld for starters? Is Aphex Twin big enough to be mainstream? Why not Flying Lotus or Ratatat? They're all way better than Prodigy.

Anyway... since I started this thread I've veered further and further away from the mainstream stuff. Prodigy, Skrillex, and Justice all seem.. well, kind of cheesy to be honest. But sometimes I like cheesy, so I'm not dismissing them entirely (except in the case of Justice which gives me crazy ear fatigue due to all the compression shenanigans). BT is pretty decent for mainstream stuff, but as far as really cool danceable tracks I found that Two Fingers (aka Amon Tobin) mix posted above to be exceptional. I really need to track down a bit more of the weird but danceable tracks like that.
    Last edited by Magtig; 11-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No one is stopping anyone from discussing any of those artists... or any other electronic artist if they choose
    i love Aphex Twin, Underworld, Flying Lotus... and i'll gladly discuss them if they were brought up

We are talking about all electronic acts in here... it's a discussion... what does everything have to become a fight?

It's "The Really Super Cool Electronica" thread, not the "Only Obscure/Underground/No One Knows About Electronica" thread

Sorry if there are people who don't like The Prodigy, but they are a part of electronica and people that do like them were discussing them for a few posts.
    Don't see the real biggie, the real issue is because we're talking about a group that some people apparently don't like
    I think I listed a large amount of electronica artists in my posts... underground and commercial
    So people stopped for a sec and discussed one band, I don't see why people are getting bent out of shape about it

Isn't this the whole point of thread... to showcase and share electronic music and discuss it?

The only people that seem mad we talked about The Prodigy for a few posts are those who simply do not like them and I think the amount of my contribution to this thread allows me to discuss a band that I enjoy. I posted PLENTY of other artists throughout the pages

Not trying to be a dick, just express that this is the whole point of what this thread is about... and there's going to be music that people show that you may or may not like
    But we rather derail a thread because we don't like a particular artist

Find it a bit unfair for everyone involved with the discussion simply because someone does not like a particular artist

And I'm willing to discuss anyone else's suggestions that they have to offer
    Last edited by neorev; 11-06-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Discussion? Fight? Where is that happening? Mostly what I see is you posting 15 remixes, and then 15 more, with a few lines of text here and there. I don't think anyone's upset except you, judging by the defensive tone of your post. The Prodigy certainly aren't off limits, so keep posting away if you want to, but if you're free to post 30 tracks from one act, I'm free to say I don't think they're very good, right? For the record I do like some of the music you've posted in here, but your last post seems sort of like a response to a message that was never written.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    maybe I read what you were trying to convey wrong and I apologize for that.

my response was a combination between Jinsai's earlier post and yours.

and like I said, I wasn't trying to come off as a dick or anything, but for me it felt like "how dare you talk about The Prodigy in the electronica thread."
    of course, I could be misinterpreting something that was written. you can't always get the proper tone someone is typing.

but for me, the amount of other stuff that i posted dwarfs the several things about The Prodigy that I posted.

in between The Prodigy stuff, I posted another dozen tracks from different groups.
    for me it just kinda felt like, "oh, all you talk about is The Prodigy" when i've posted loads of music

so again, i apologize if i took what was written and misread it.
    Jinsai actually PM'ed after his initial post and there is honestly no bad blood or anything at all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    P.S. I enjoy "Audio, Video, Disco" was much more over "Cross." They dropped the disco club vibe and went more 70's rock.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Okay good. I generally like this thread, and maybe I got a little impatient too, so no big deal.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, I love you all. Let's keep this party going!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i've been obsessed with Vaetxh lately...
    imagine the whacky glitched out classic style of Squarepusher meets the bassy modernized machine fucking side of dubstep...
    IBM... intelligent bass music?

Vaetxh - "List Of Lists"

Vaetxh - "IO"

Vaetxh - "Cuntpressor"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Zebra Katz - Ima Read (and its 15 versions i've heard so far)

also here's a pretty good article about EDM. was reminded of it by the amount of The Prodigy related scrolling i had to do to post:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2...wd-will-follow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Orbital.

"Halcyon"

"The Girl with the Sun in Her Head"

"Monday"

"Adnan's"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    love Orbital as well... their latest album "Wonky" is great!
    i love "In Sides" and "Snivelization," but "Wonky" was pretty solid all the way though for me

i'm gonna read that article, konstantin
    looks like a good read

here's another good article about the electronic music boom of the 2000's and how history is repeating itself like the 90's boom...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...quered-america

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A lot of amazing artists did vocals for the new MOTOR album: Martin Gore, Douglas McCarthy, and Gary Numan.

Love this remix of that one: http://soundcloud.com/drumcell/motor...an-pleasure-in

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    you mentioned Gary Numan and made me think of his collab on the South Central album...
    A Place To Bury Strangers also did a collab...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    any Modeselektor fans?
    Last edited by neorev; 11-08-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Prodigy is pop but christ it's way more on the side of the angels than bloody Skrillex or Pendulum

this thread needs more dark ambient & genuine weirdness though, there's more to electronica than jumping around

here's some stuff from 1948 (damn!)

my Delia Derbyshire fixation continues, this is such a scary collection of pieces, I remember years ago I was in a bit of a delicate state after a night out & it left me too scared to go downstairs

whereas this is probably enough to induce a delicate state

I really love BBC Radiophonic Workshop stuff, there was a definite thread between that stuff and artists like Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Nurse with Wound etc. I think probably one of the reasons I loved NIN's "Ghosts" so much was because it had that sort of feel, like those soundtrack LPs of radiophonic music you used to be able to get, which would be weird short pieces meant to accompany long forgotten radio plays and TV serials. I think TR said something along the lines of the Ghosts tracks being meant to sound like they were soundtracks to scenes which didn't yet exists. This is the sort of thing that threads TR to the artists mentioned earlier IMO. Watching that video fo TR with the swarmatron (or whatever) just seemed so much like that documentary where Delia showed off her setup
    Last edited by Sutekh; 11-08-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This comes out next week, I'm really looking forward to it:
    http://soundcloud.com/perc/pinion-engage-perc-trax
    "Perc Trax is proud to unveil the debut EP by Pinion, known in a former life as US-based producer Bobby Dowell. Pinion is the sound of a man with his own vision of music, sitting somewhere between classic industrial and contemporary techno without slavishly bowing down to either discipline."

If you're looking for ambient/minimal, I like this track by Tommy Four Seven:

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    pioneering ambient/electronic musician (and Fax records label owner) Pete Namlook died today

RIP