Sonoio
    The Chemical Brothers
    The Crystal Method

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Death in Vegas! Top-tier stuff!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just ordered Eskmo's self-titled CD, sounds really good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Squarepusher was kicking my ass today, but I can't remember what album (not the funky one, that one wasn't hitting the spot). Autechre continues to blow my mind. I've been listening to five albums of theirs on repeat.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    100% agreed. At their prime they're leaps and bounds ahead of the crowd.

Orbital, Autechre and Richard D James are on the same tier.

As for more recent breakthroughs, I enjoy Burial and Flying Lotus' stuff quite a bit.
    Okay, I listened to Burial's album today and it just seems like a low rent Massive Attack from 10 years ago, derivative even. What makes this a breakthrough?

Flying Lotus' .. the jury is out. It sounds like a mess of jumbled sounds, but then again sometimes Aphex Twin and Autechure do as well. Maybe it's just that I like the later artists jumble better? I'll keep at it a bit though, it might grow on me.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Flying Lotus' latest "Cosmogramma" was a little on the noisy/free jazz side, but what he got most popular from

I like his first two albums "1983" and "Los Angeles" more than "Cosmogramma" or the "Pattersn + Grid World" EP

Melt and Parisian Goldfish is amazing

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    And the video for Parisian Goldfish is a mix of low grade public access with psychedelic strobing array of colors and somewhat disturbing imagery of two heavy set black people f#$king...
    NSFW... directed by Eric of Tim & Eric fame

Last edited by neorev; 06-08-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Cosmogramma is the one I listened to. I definitely liked the song from the above video a little better.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    ..early Dubstep.
    Such as?

I've been on a downloading spree. Might take a while to sort through it all though.

I gotta say though, that new Orbital album really gets me going. If I'm not in the mood for the more abstract stuff, I'm listening to that.

Out of curiosity, do any of the experts here know of really great bootlegs of Aphex Twin, Underworld, Autechre, or anyone else good? I think I've heard some of those Underworld live recordings they were releasing on their site, and they were pretty damn good.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Hell, yeah! I was listening to a series of pulsar recordings the other night.
    What!? Where? I want all the space sound recordings!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Youtube!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Burial's all about atmosphere. Never really thought of him as having a similar sound to Massive Attack, but I get the comparison. Sure, Burial's stuff isn't a patch on Massive Attack's best work, but it's relatively early days yet and I think a large amount of the hype around him is much more well deserved than, say, the Field.

FlyLo's appeal to me is cool beats + crazy sounds. Simple as that.

As for cool Underworld live stuff:

Just about the best summation of their live sound I've heard.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Can anyone point me towards Merzbow albums worth a listen? I'm looking at a 50+ album output, and it's a bit intimidating; I don't even know where to start.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    Burial's all about atmosphere. Never really thought of him as having a similar sound to Massive Attack, but I get the comparison. Sure, Burial's stuff isn't a patch on Massive Attack's best work, but it's relatively early days yet and I think a large amount of the hype around him is much more well deserved than, say, the Field.
    Burials last EP's Street Halo and Kindred are up there with some of my favorite releases in recent years.. Really pushing his sound forward yet maintaining the ambience and atmosphere he's known for.
    I have to say I prefer The Field though, Looping State of Mind is really sublime, again, really feels like a step ahead of his previous releases, especially Yesterday and Today which fell kinda flat with me.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    Can anyone point me towards Merzbow albums worth a listen? I'm looking at a 50+ album output, and it's a bit intimidating; I don't even know where to start.
    try giving 1930 a listen.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks, Jinsai! It's been a long time since I've simply let myself like noise.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    *sounds of space*
    YES! Check it out, Daphne, I've tracked down several sources of downloadable space sounds (some simulated, as with the black holes).

Sounds of Solar Oscillations in mp3 & AIFF format, including a 22 minute recording of an entire year of the Sun!
    Neutron stars, pulsars, and black holes in WAV format - all simulated sounds, of course, but these are the sounds they're predicting they'll hear with the LISA and LIGO missions.

edit:
    We observe the Sun in New Mexico with a multi-frequency radiotelescope that has been modified
    and customized for binaural audio recording. Here is a collection of specimen sound files of the
    major types of solar radio emissions from some significant events in recent years.
    Last edited by Magtig; 06-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fields were mentioned on here the album Looping State of Mind got quite bit of praise i thought it had its moments but Seefeel did it better.
    The repetitive looping technique they were doing back in 1992-1993 on the primitive cubase, they were on Warp played a lot live with Aphex Twin, and Autechre amd other early post rock bands on the London underground club circuit they later worked with the Cocteau Twins,...their music was a real predecessor to Boards of Canada who became much more well known later and had a similar sound.
    Sounds ahead of its time

Seefeel's material was very powerful, really glacial, can really hit you, they are back together again now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Seefeel are truly amazing. Quique is an indisputable classic and their EPs are some of the best releases on Warp (Starethrough EP especially, second only to Aphex's I Care... in the Warp catalog for my money). I also really liked their s/t from last year.

Last edited by xmd 5a; 06-20-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Three unrelated things:

1) SeeFeel is fucking amazing, thanks for sharing it! Looking forward to the full albums.

2) I stumbled across this article about Pretty Lights, who give away all their music for free, teaming up with Bittorrent. I'm interested in people's opinion on the music itself, but I almost find the sample licensing sidestep and partnership with Bittorrent a more interesting topic. Thoughts?

3) Re:Burial - Maybe I should clarify since it keeps coming up. Nearly every track on the album I listened to sounded like a lesser version of the song below off, Mezzanine (a 15 year old album). Others are reminiscent of Mezzanine as well (the side stick, slow beats, scratching record sounds, atmospherics, etc). Ever since trip hop emerged in the mid 90s people have been making songs that sound like Burial's entire album to me. It's not a bad sound or anything, it's just been done (many) times before, which would be okay if they were adding something new to it, but they're not. Additionally, the samples of dialogue he uses drive me fucking crazy. Do we really need another ultra cliche line about looking in the mirror and not recognizing the reflection? That whole thing made me cringe.
    Last edited by Magtig; 06-21-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Checking Pretty Lights now. Heard the name a fair bit so may as well see what the fuss is about.

Throwing out a major recommendation for Vatican Shadow. Dark "IDM"/ambient stuff (with a hint of industrial and a Middle Eastern flavour here and there) from the twisted mind behind Prurient (straight up noise/power electronics ala Whitehouse, though the last album proper was EBM/synthpop-esque).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    anyone for some experimental dancehall... could use the other D word but I won't

really love this guy... inspector wiki says

"His projects include God, Techno Animal, Ice, Curse of the Golden Vampire, Pressure, and most recently, King Midas Sound.[2] He has collaborated with such figures as Daddy Freddy, John Zorn,[3] Justin Broadrick, Experimental Audio Research,[4] El-P, Blixa Bargeld, Alec Empire, Dälek, Vast Aire, Warrior Queen, Anti-Pop Consortium, DJ Vadim, Cutty Ranks, Flow Dan, Mark Stewart and Keith Levene."

...wow! Cutty Ranks, Alec E, Levene, Blixa, Broadrick! impeccable

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Anyone wanna recommend me some ambient stuff? Looking for more structured stuff, love Tim Hecker, Eno, etc. but looking for more of a lounge-jazz meets ambient mixture.
    There might be some stuff by The Flashbulb (Benn Jordan) that could satisfy this.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Do you guys like BT at all? Not too many people talk about him, but I think he's amazing. He's released two new ambient albums just a couple days ago, Morceau Subrosa and If the Stars Are Eternal Than So Are You And Ite His next EDM album, the follow-up to the monster These Hopeful Machines comes out later this year on Armada.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Re:Burial - Maybe I should clarify since it keeps coming up. Nearly every track on the album I listened to sounded like a lesser version of the song below off, Mezzanine (a 15 year old album).
    But Burial doesn't really sound like that at all. If Teardrop started playing in the middle of a Burial album it would be the wierdest thing ever.

The connection between Burial and Massive Attack is thematic at best, since they sort of share that dark urban soulful thing, but Massive Attack are way more of a pop group, with real singing and live instruments and standard song structures. Burial's sound bears a much closer resemblance to old jungle and garage tracks than anything even remotely triphop.

Untrue
    is sort of like Loveless to me, in that both of those records take a very specific sound/feeling and they mine it for all its worth, getting to the essential core of what others had only been hinting at.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    @Mantra - Okay, well maybe I'll have to give it one more shot, but it really didn't sound like anything new or interesting to me at all. Well done, sure, but certainly not ground breaking or original.

@Blue Calx - I downloaded a bunch of BT, going to give that a listen.

Also, I downloaded Pretty Lights, and it sounded pretty decent (it's pretty mainstream: big breakbeats, hooks, structure, etc). Again, I'd be really interested on people's reaction to the article I posted above on them. Where's Jinsai on this one?

Mostly though, I've been listening to Autechtre, Squarepusher, and Aphex Twin nonstop. Oh! And that Vaetxh album, Mass, as well as Seefeel are hitting the spot too.

Culprate also remains a constant on my playlist. Although they definitely came from dubstep roots, they've got real depth and completely transcend the genre. Again, I would highly encourage everyone to listen to the Colours album (where every song is based on a color).
    Last edited by Magtig; 06-30-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    @Mantra - Okay, well maybe I'll have to give it one more shot, but it really didn't sound like anything new or interesting to me at all. Well done, sure, but certainly not ground breaking or original.
    You gotta listen to it really late at night when you're feeling horrible, or maybe when you're riding the bus through downtown. That's why there are 90,000 fan vids on youtube just like this...

The dude just perfectly captures that feeling​.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    forget Burial for some minutes and give http://www.downliners-sekt.com/ a chance! seriously. burial sounds like an all-too-forced-to-sound-arty dub combo compared to their sounds, imo....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    also very recommended are:
    - everything from Uwe Schmidt aka lassigue bendthaus, atom tm, atom heart, senor coconut...
    - ratata
    - four tet
    - clock dva (80' !)
    - nicolas jaar
    - trust (http://ttrustt.com/)
    - errors
    - baths