Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Interpol

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    ...was itching for a leak/stream so badly... My wish came true!

I find this to be a definite stronger effort than s/t.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-27-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Just listened to El Pintor all the way through and really liked it. I haven't dug an Interpol album this much since Antics. Good stuff here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New song The Depths (bonus track)
    http://www.stereogum.com/1702487/int...e-depths/mp3s/

Great track, I prefer it to Twice as hard (my least favorite track off the new record).

El Pintor is rseriously a great album! I can't stop listening to it!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    damn, here we go with bonus tracks, it should have been on all versions!!!
    Good track otherwise.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Scored a cd copy of FUKD ID#3 for 10$ a couple days ago. Epic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So, El Pintor is really good. I might even like it more than Antics. "Tidal Wave" is just about my favourite Interpol song since "Evil".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Is that b-side downloadable? The Stereogum link says "mp3s"...but I only see the soundcloud thing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    http://www.npr.org/event/music/34018...sents-interpol

Full NPR concert viewing pleasure.

"Breaker 1" is a new album favorite of mine, debuted live there ^.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    daym, matador store couldn't complete my order. piracy wins this time

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    daym, matador store couldn't complete my order. piracy wins this time
    what went wrong? issues with trying to order to russia or their website was just broken? i ask because i've never had issues with them.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I did receive Banks album from them, this time site said quote was unavailable or something. Fingers crossed for local release

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    On further listens, I am confident to say this is their best album since Turn On the Bright Lights. Excellent stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "All The Rage Back Home" is an excellent opener and great tune. Some fresh Interpol rightchere.

"Anywhere" is such a jam. Really good.

That said, I don't understand why they decided to play it slower on the record/faster live... If I had to pick one tempo over the other it would be the live tempo. Maybe it's simply because I'd heard it like that first, but I feel the 'right stuff' comes thru more in that higher tempo. In any case the studio tempo doesn't bother me once I'm in the record mode.

"Same Town, New Story" has always been a top favorite...very smooth sound. "My Blue Supreme" is also real class.

//

Just so everybody knows--there's a special edition of El Pintor at Target online containing two bonus tracks, one B-Side (supposedly the old track "Cutthroat" under a different name, "Malfeasance", re-recorded or recorded properly for the first time, not sure), and a live take of "Slow Hands".
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-10-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    Just so everybody knows--there's a special edition of El Pintor at Target online containing two bonus tracks, one B-Side (supposedly the old track "Cutthroat" under a different name, "Malfeasance", re-recorded or recorded properly for the first time, not sure), and a live take of "Slow Hands".
    Despite the website saying that it isn't sold in stores, it is. I found it today for $7.99.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaps30 View Post
    Despite the website saying that it isn't sold in stores, it is. I found it today for $7.99.
    Assuming you bought it, you should lend a hand with "Malfeasance". Somehow.

Edit: Nevermind, I just got it some other way.

"Malfeasance" is NOT "Cutthroat". Neverfuckingmind my saying that ever. haha

It should've been on the album! Actually a really cool song. It has a very early Interpol sound (production aside of course).
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-11-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    got my copy on white vinyl (with a 12x12 of the artwork as a bonus) yesterday. can't wait to listen to it tomorrow.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    If anyone here's seen them before, how are they live? I've been really considering seeing them in November in Orlando but have no idea if they're any good live, and all of their setlists have seemed too short for a headlining act to say the least (12-13 songs just seems ridiculously short).

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    If anyone here's seen them before, how are they live? I've been really considering seeing them in November in Orlando but have no idea if they're any good live, and all of their setlists have seemed too short for a headlining act to say the least (12-13 songs just seems ridiculously short).
    They compensate the show with their energy, i've seen them twice: the first time it was odd because it was this show that was supposed to be in a small venue but oversold to the point it was taken to a big venue ("Antics" was just out, so it was the moment were they became huge); Sam Fogarino was sick in that occasion but he was able to play the whole set, i really liked that one...

Second time ("Self titled" album era) it was during a big festival and they played before the Pixies (many people didn't cared for them because of that...), i really liked that show, it was less energetic but very gloomy, i think they are a good band that adapts either if they are in a big or small venue...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    They compensate the show with their energy, i've seen them twice: the first time it was odd because it was this show that was supposed to be in a small venue but oversold to the point it was taken to a big venue ("Antics" was just out, so it was the moment were they became huge); Sam Fogarino was sick in that occasion but he was able to play the whole set, i really liked that one...

Second time ("Self titled" album era) it was during a big festival and they played before the Pixies (many people didn't cared for them because of that...), i really liked that show, it was less energetic but very gloomy, i think they are a good band that adapts either if they are in a big or small venue...
    Awesome, thanks! I'd be seeing them at the Hard Rock, so it would be a lot smaller than the only shows I've been to (all NIN shows in the past year, so basically arena and amphitheatres). That alone is a plus for me, just to get some variety in concert experiences. I'll probably end up going, it's good to know they're strong performers live.

Just wondering, is Paul's voice as good live as it is on album, or is it variable for him?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Just wondering, is Paul's voice as good live as it is on album, or is it variable for him?
    I would say variable. I think his heart's always in it, but some of his vocal parts from records don't seem easy on him to match exactly live, or for a specific example--sustain a vocal note quite as long as it is on recording. Variable is a good word though, now that I think about it. Overall his voice live is as you know it by now...

I think you'll be disappointed if you don't catch a show. :P
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-10-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i saw them when they were touring on "our love to admire" and Liars opened (so it was doubly awesome for me). it was a fantastic show.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i love the new album. for me, their sound continues to evolve while still sounding like the same band. and i love all of paul's falsetto stuff, that pitchfork review was (unsurprisingly) a pile of shit.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Listened to half the album so far ($7.99 at Target, thanks for the heads up), and it strikes me that are few bands who are prisoners of their own sound as much as Interpol.

I found the Pitchfork review a pretty entertaining read:

"There was, and still is, nothing inherently original about what they were doing—Peter Hookcheekily applied to be the band’s bassist in 2010, only to be rejected—but in a musical climate jam-packed with call-backs to rock’s past, Interpol were, in their own way, innovators. They took the sonic template for one of the most serious bands of all time and applied it to tales of white lines, late nights, and hetero-male woes that made “Entourage” look like The Joy Luck Club. In 2014, this is called “trolling”; in 2002, it simply sounded like a good time."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...pol-el-pintor/
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-13-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Listened to half the album so far ($7.99 at Target, thanks for the heads up), and it strikes me that are few bands who are prisoners of their own sound as much as Interpol.

I found the Pitchfork review a pretty entertaining read:

"There was, and still is, nothing inherently original about what they were doing—Peter Hookcheekily applied to be the band’s bassist in 2010, only to be rejected—but in a musical climate jam-packed with call-backs to rock’s past, Interpol were, in their own way, innovators. They took the sonic template for one of the most serious bands of all time and applied it to tales of white lines, late nights, and hetero-male woes that made “Entourage” look like The Joy Luck Club. In 2014, this is called “trolling”; in 2002, it simply sounded like a good time."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...pol-el-pintor/
    If I'd seen this post earlier, I would've paid for shipping and you could've sent me it. I got the Target edition today myself.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    "Breaker 1" is the absolute shit. For all time.

It's this album's "Memory Serves" for me. Fucking grim sounding.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-14-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Finally had time this past weekend to listen to the album in full and wow I'm impressed. I'm a pretty big Interpol fan, so maybe I should be disappointed in myself for having low expectations for this new album, but all in all I'm very happy those expectations were blown out of the water. Love Paul's bass on a lot of the tracks and Breaker 1 is the highlight for me. i genuinely feel great for the band, who knows where things would've gone had this been the 3rd straight "ok" album they put out.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Really liking My Blue Supreme: it's this album's Mammoth.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)