Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Ridley Scott is an old fart who didn't even like Blade Runner 2049 stating it was too slow and too long. I'm sure he's never seen one film by Bela Tarr, then he would have something to complain about and I have seen Tarr's Satantango and enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind a third film if it involves Denis Villeneuve in some capacity but if it doesn't happen. That's cool as I like the way Blade Runner 2049 ended.
    Yeah, give me Villeneuve. I'd be excited by that announcement where as not so much with Scott in director's chair. He really has some nerve talking shit about Villeneuve's direction. The dude has delivered some amazing films. Scott seems to have lost the touch.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Yeah, give me Villeneuve. I'd be excited by that announcement where as not so much with Scott in director's chair. He really has some nerve talking shit about Villeneuve's direction. The dude has delivered some amazing films. Scott seems to have lost the touch.
    He's been losing his touch for years. The last film of his that I enjoyed was The Martian but he is often hit-and-miss. For every film like Alien, Blade Runner, and Black Hawk Down (I wanted to mention the extended director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven which I heard is a vastly superior film than the theatrical version), there's duds like White Squall, Body of Lies, and Exodus. He can deliver in films like Black Rain, Thelma and Louise, and American Gangster but I often think people put him very highly when I kind of think he's overrated at times. I'm one of those that doesn't even like Gladiator very much. I doubt he's even in my list of my 100 favorite filmmakers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ridley Scott has certainly lost something, Covenant was a stain on his own franchise IMO. I really liked Prometheus, then he doubled down on the dumb shit that people didn't like about it (dumb scientists etc).

I also think it's bullshit that Denis Villenueve didn't get nominated for Best Director.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Villenueve should just do it after Dune, lol.

Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    I finally got a chance to watch the movie, in UHD, and I'm definitely kicking myself for not having seen this in the theater. What a beautiful film. On my second watch-through now.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I wish I'd seen it in IMAX.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I saw this movie three times in theaters alone and several times since it came out on digital, but I just picked up the 4K HDR Blu-ray and goddamn is this movie a showcase for a sweet-ass setup. I was impressed in the theaters, but this is just goddamn bonkers.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Watched Blade Runner (Final Cut) yesterday and 2049 today, both 4K on nice OLED, good enough 5.1 sound (english), cold and dark winter outside, me alone in the dark... amazing, and I am so glad 2049 turned out this good, this was really the best movie of 2017.

Also amazing how clear the image on original Blade Runner is, I bet there was a ton of work with that.

(except maybe I hoped for some extra bonus material and there seems to be just three commentaries on the first one which I probably won't watch, and nothing on 2049, and they don't have to insert also DVD and BluRay (not 4K) disks, I don't need them, waste of material)

Now I turned everything off, after such experience I prefer to not even switch to weather or anything, just turn everything off (not ETS, heh) and let it work... time to sleep soon, and I bet I will wake up thinking about it.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I finally saw this a few weeks back on my friend's big HD screen, and I actually had mixed feelings about it. It was obviously a very beautiful film with good writing and whatnot, and had this not been an entry in the Bladerunner franchise I would have thought it was perfectly fine. But I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more of that urban noir thing. They had some of it, but it was only one element mixed in here and there. So much of the movie had these big open spaces with clean washes of color. It had a lot of this abstract beauty, which is awesome, but I just miss the grimey urban stuff. For me personally, that's what blade runner is all about. The protagonist, in my mind, is just a vibe. It's a world I want to go live inside of, dumb as that probably sounds. And I just didn't feel quite the same way about the new one.

Now of course, people could be like, "Well if that's what you want, just watch the original." And I'm sure they think its cool that they tried something a little different with this new movie instead of playing it safe. But if I'm being totally honest with myself, I really did just want more of the same. There really aren't that many movies that have that classic blade runner vibe, and I just thought it would have been nice to get one more in that same vein.

Still, good movie, and I would never shit all over it or anything. I totally get that I'm in the minority here. I just didn't fall in love with it.
    Last edited by Mantra; 02-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Actually, this post from dlb about five months back does a much better job of explaining what I found missing in the new one...

Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I found the movie to be a bit too bright for my taste and open worldly. I love the claustrophobic feeling of the original, the crammed streets and the city life in general. I was a bit dissapointed that we only get to see glimpses of this here and there. overall I found the building interiors too polished, but maybe that's due to the 30 years of developement. I also love the use of smoke in the original which was basically non existant in 2049. In itself the movie could have looked a whole lot darker for my taste and more "noire" if you want to call it this. It all does look stunning and beautiful, but some grittyness was missing that made the original so appealing to me.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    So should I wait and watch this on a 4k television? I dont want to ruin it on my computer if its that visually " stunning?''

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    So should I wait and watch this on a 4k television? I dont want to ruin it on my computer if its that visually " stunning?''
    Yes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    So should I wait and watch this on a 4k television? I don't want to ruin it on my computer if it's that visually "stunning?''
    Yes, for a thousand times. Although the best option would be watching it in IMAX.

Joseph

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I finally got a chance to watch the movie, in UHD, and I'm definitely kicking myself for not having seen this in the theater. What a beautiful film. On my second watch-through now.
    I was fortunate enough to see it in IMAX and it just sticks with you. I've yet to get a 4k TV or player, but I know I'm eventually purchasing this on UHD just so I can experience it again in that way. The complaints about too many long shots are so short-sighted, because I could watch those scenes over and over again and still be blown away,

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    This is brilliant

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ That was awesome.