Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Saw it three times now. Still loving it.

Minor nitpick: <spoiler clipped>
    Yeah, that felt a little forced to me. Also,

Spoiler: that particular clip in question, it's baked into my brain so much from being in the soundtrack, it was jarring to hear it repeated in this movie.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Yeah, that felt a little forced to me. Also,

Spoiler: that particular clip in question, it's baked into my brain so much from being in the soundtrack, it was jarring to hear it repeated in this movie.
    I don't think it was forced. Wallace seems to act like he is omniscient, but I don't think he was off-base. After all, Gaff made the erection origami after Deckard met Rachel.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Had a discussion with someone who said blade runner 2049 is sexist.

The movie also depicts orphans being forced into tearing through garbage for valuable metals.

Does that mean the film makers condone horrific treatment of children as a disposable work force? Of course not.

How would you expect gender equality to exist in a world where that sort of thing is the norm?

The movie is sexist. And it's supposed to be. It doesn't depict a positive future for mankind. But just because it depicts it, doesn't mean it condones it.

Use some logic. Some people just wanna be pissed off at anything.

Go watch Bambi.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Had a discussion with someone who said blade runner 2049 is sexist.

The movie also depicts orphans being forced into tearing through garbage for valuable metals.

Does that mean the film makers condone horrific treatment of children as a disposable work force? Of course not.

How would you expect gender equality to exist in a world where that sort of thing is the norm?

The movie is sexist. And it's supposed to be. It doesn't depict a positive future for mankind. But just because it depicts it, doesn't mean it condones it.

Use some logic. Some people just wanna be pissed off at anything.

Go watch Bambi.
    Exactly!!

I work with someone who said the same thing, that they didn't like the movie because of how sexist it was.I tried explaining that I was pretty sure the sexism was intentional, to show that even thirty plus years in the future, in a dystopian state, that men still run the world. She like couldn't understand that concept, and just kept saying it was irresponsible of Hollywood to showcase that kind of sexism on screen or something. Whatever, man.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Go watch Se7en. Kevin Spacey played a great role as a serial killer. Obviously we should all try to emulate him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This film was completely lackluster compared to the original masterpiece. Blade Runner is my absolute favorite film and the sequel did not measure up.Denis Villeneuve is not a visionary like Ridley Scott and Roger Deakins cinematography was much better in Prisoners and Sicario. Niander Wallace pales in comparison to Eldon Tyrell and Luv lacked the depth of Roy batty. As always Ryan Gosling plays the same character in everything. A better choice would have been someone with better acting chops such as Jake Gyllenhaal or Michael Fassbender. Unfortunately I guessed all of the plot twists because they were beyond predictable and the soundtrack was laughable. They should have stuck with Jóhann Jóhannsson. the only good thing the film had going for it was Mackenzie Davis and Harrison Ford. I guess that I would put this film on par with The Force Awakens, not terrible but not great either.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Movie lived up to my expectations, I need to watch it a few more times to understand all the nuance.

Better than the original (which is in my top 5) imo.
    Last edited by Dream; 10-25-2017 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gardener View Post
    or Michael Fassbender.
    Jesus, I couldn't have handled it if he were to play K or even a counterpart to Luv / a new Roy Batty! I think he would've been perfect. But I guess him playing an android in another Ridley Scott universe didn't allow that. What a shame.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Pre-ordered the musical score. That was amazing too and worth owning.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was not disappointed. I expected it not to match the magic of the original. It was a slightly inferior film which still had a lot going for it. The "worldbuilding" was, again, fantastic. The actors were great.

Initially, I didn't like that I couldn't convince myself to find Nyander and his henchgirl entirely evil. I think they had a point, like K's boss also had a point, keeping order and all that. I liked that openness more and more the longer I was out of the cinema.

Of course, there is a bit more action in this one. And the "showdown" was too formulaic, and had no impact for me. The soundtrack was derivative (I'm no fan of Hans Zimmer.).
    And something which the new movie lacks, but in which it is not alone, it tried to go for that "slow, epic" mood. Like the original. But it did not have a scene like the one where Rachel visits Deckard in his apartment and not much happens while Deckard sleeps. You can just drown in the mood, and "breathe" the pictures. The new movie did not achieve that. But I think the cinema today is too fast for something like that.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    My current feeling is this movie surpasses the original. Heresy for some, I know, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    I was surprised at that criticism too, and my take after one watch is the same as yours; the film certainly portrays a misogynist society, and that's a deliberate aspect of the dystopia. That doesn't rule out the movie itself still being sexist, of course; for example does it pass the Bechdel test? I was planning to read up on the specific criticisms today before my second watch tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Pre-ordered the musical score. That was amazing too and worth owning.
    One of the limited edition CDs, or something else?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My current feeling is this movie surpasses the original. Heresy for some, I know, but there you go.

I was surprised at that criticism too, and my take after one watch is the same as yours; the film certainly portrays a misogynist society, and that's a deliberate aspect of the dystopia. That doesn't rule out the movie itself still being sexist, of course; for example does it pass the Bechdel test? I was planning to read up on the specific criticisms today before my second watch tonight.

One of the limited edition CDs, or something else?
    Don't know if it's a limited edition--it just says that it's the film score, out 11/17.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Don't know if it's a limited edition--it just says that it's the film score, out 11/17.
    Ah ok, cool. The only reason I asked is the only version(s) I'd seen available were limited edition CD, 2049 copies of each edition, two editions total:

https://bladerunner2049.shop.musictoday.com

I see that is now showing a vinyl release too

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I'm feeling pretty flush for unknown reasons so I might just spring for it. If I do I'll photo up the booklet and my '07 one and put both sets up for comparison.
    Ah, jesus.

I was queueing to actually buy this today, when I looked closer at the box, and, unlike the non-deluxe new UHD release, it appears the deluxe one (with the booklet) does not contain a UV copy. The UHD disc would be an ornament for me for the forseeable future, and I'd be relying on the stream version to actually watch it in 4k. So without the digital copy the box isn't worth it for me just now.

And I repeat: ah, jesus ffs, why is it such a research project to find the right version to buy, stupid marketing shit argh

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    The soundtrack was derivative (I'm no fan of Hans Zimmer.).
    Thank you. I think you'll love this review: http://www.movie-wave.net/blade-runner-2049/

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Pre Ordered the vinyl. On second viewing, noticed lots of music not present on the digital copy. I wonder if they will be on the vinyl exclusive track list

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Ah ok, cool. The only reason I asked is the only version(s) I'd seen available were limited edition CD, 2049 copies of each edition, two editions total:

https://bladerunner2049.shop.musictoday.com

I see that is now showing a vinyl release too
    https://www.amazon.com/Runner-Origin...9190619&sr=8-4 Doesn't say anything about being a special edition. You can download it now via amazon. The physical release is next month.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Pre Ordered the vinyl. On second viewing, noticed lots of music not present on the digital copy. I wonder if they will be on the vinyl exclusive track list
    lol just checked, "vinyl exclusive track list" just means they dropped the Elvis and Sinatra tracks.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Watched it for the second time yesterday.

A couple of bad CGI moments irritated me:
    1) During the scrapyard sequence we see giant flying containers that drop off some metal litter, which falls down in slo-mo like a fucking paper or snow. Ugh.
    2) Spoiler: The way nu-Rachael's body falls after Luv shoots her. Really??

Otherwise, I liked it even better than the first time.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    It's strange, I'm all in on calling this a classic movie but I am at best lukewarm on the soundtrack. And I am a huge Zimmer fan. It might be the first score of his that I prefer in the context of watching the movie, because when I listened to it on it's own later on I wasn't taken back to that place like I was when I saw something like Interstellar or The Dark Knight. Then again, with Christopher Nolan Hans has been on the ground floor whereas here he was thrown into the process at the 11th hour. Under those circumstances you do have to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    It's strange, I'm all in on calling this a classic movie but I am at best lukewarm on the soundtrack. And I am a huge Zimmer fan. It might be the first score of his that I prefer in the context of watching the movie, because when I listened to it on it's own later on I wasn't taken back to that place like I was when I saw something like Interstellar or The Dark Knight. Then again, with Christopher Nolan Hans has been on the ground floor whereas here he was thrown into the process at the 11th hour. Under those circumstances you do have to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.
    I was just about to post about the soundtrack when I read your post. I fucking love the score. I'm not really one for buying film scores, there are some I love--The Magnificent Seven, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, the original Blade Runner, Trent/Atticus' scores, and a handful of others. That said, when I saw the Blade Runner 2049 I knew I wanted the soundtrack. The Elvis and Sinatra tracks at first really seem out of place, but they strangely work, imho.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-17-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I straight up immediately deleted the non score tracks when I downloaded the score. The rest of it is too fucking good to be dragged down by random songs that kill the flow of the actual score.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Agreed. Forget about the tacked-on crappy ending on the 1982 release. The ending of the director's cut, when Rachel and Deckard head out to the unknown is perfect. Just leave it there. We don't know what happens to these characters, it's left to the viewer to ponder. A sequel will spoil that.
    Ok, I suck. I was so soo so wrong. I repent. This was a masterpiece. It was as good as the original.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-25-2017 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    this makes me wonder why no sequel was made decades ago, its up there with Terminator 2 and Aliens, these sequels followed their predecessors by only 7 years.

I know Blade Runner was a box office flop in 1982, but by the early 90s it had gained a significant following, I think maybe people may have found it daunting to follow it up. its just weird how easy they made a sequel look, I always thought it was impossible to follow, when now I can imagine a really great third film in the series.
    maybe this one was only as great as it is was because they took so much time to realise it, I don't know.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Mainly rights issues I'd imagine. It's the same reason why the special edition DVD (with the "Final Cut") took so long to come out. And I doubt, at least until he decided his plate was too full with what he was interested in directing himself recently, that Ridley would have been eager to let someone else direct it.

The soundtrack is now available on Amazon Music MP3 for 5 bucks.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 11-27-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen the original theatrical release of Blade Runner? Man, that voice-over was lame:

Go to 4:14

Now, compare that to the scene without the voice-over.

It's really such a poignant, beautiful scene. Glad we got that director's cut.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Has anyone seen the original theatrical release of Blade Runner? Man, that voice-over was lame:
    I'm truly just light heartedly ribbing you here, so take no offense, but damn man, how old do the think the average fan on this board actually is? I'd say a fairly size-able chunk of people here remember seeing it in its original theatrical release in theaters.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I'm truly just light heartedly ribbing you here, so take no offense, but damn man, how old do the think the average fan on this board actually is? I'd say a fairly size-able chunk of people here remember seeing it in its original theatrical release in theaters.
    I'm 38 and didn't see the '82 theatrical release until the boxset with four diffferent versions, around 2007. The first director's cut was released in 1992 (withwithout the voice over) so probably a fair amount of people (below 30) never saw the 1982 theatrical release. From the early 90's on, the version without the voice over has been what most fans are probably familar with.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-28-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The theatrical '82 cut still gets played on television, even after these multiple cuts.