Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Actually no, honestly. Not claiming any sort of superiority and I really regret that you can't separate the sequels/prequels from a movie, but Vader is pretty much still vader, and the xenomorph is still that lone, mysterious creature roaming the Nostromo. A Blade Runner sequel is, I think, a bad idea at this point, but I'm still intrigued, and it won't ruin the original for me.
    And remakes ruin the originals even less. Total Recall, Robocop are merely blimps on the radar...
    To each his/her own. For me, episodes 1-3 did tarnish the original trilogy. And yes, I can "separate the sequels/prequels from a movie," but I see each film in a series in the context of that series.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-04-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    ... While I treat the originals as pivotal, and the rest as peripheral... I'm not saying you're wrong.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    It will still exist and spoil the integrity of the original film, kind of like those god-awful Star Wars prequels. Doesn't Darth Vader now seem less bad-ass than he once did, knowing that he was once a love-struck whiny little turd?
    Given the unsettling parallels between that character's arc and some real-life whackos that I've encountered (both in news headlines and online), the backstory actually makes that story even more unsettling. Like, say if one of those neckbearded MRA dudes got into a position of power because he showed talent or prowess in something unrelated... he could turn into the next Hitler/Vader, if propped up and enabled by toadying political Machiavellites.

Anyway...

I really don't see the need to trot out this argument again, especially since it looks like this is going to be a straight sequel to the original story and prequels are a whole different kettle of fish. Watch the sequel if you're interested, or don't. It's pretty simple. The "integrity" of the original doesn't live or die by whether or not derivative works exist. The somewhat clunky '90s Blade Runner PC game is cool, but does the fact that a blatant cash-in Commodore 64/ZX Spectrum game from the '80s still float around out there with the name Blade Runner on it make the movie any less good? No, of course not. See also: the book sequels mentioned above... do those impact the integrity of the film? Or can you safely ignore them?
    Last edited by botley; 03-04-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'll go see the new movie, I just think that one movie was enough and it ended on a perfect note. No need for a second act.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Yeah, I agree that's perfectly unnecessary.
    Honestly I'd like to see filmmakers start to treat sequels as their own, parallel thing. Prometheus suffered so much in my eyes because it was trying sooo hard to connect to Alien. Had they said "look, we like the universe we made so we're making another one related to that, but the story is fundamentally disconnected and we won't even try to make it canon", I'd have been way happier with it. So, okay, go film another one taking place in a samey Blade Runner-y universe, but quit trying to reconnect the dots every time if you didn't intend to when you made the first one. It's as painful as watching you try to touch your feet by bending backwards.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I think the Alien connection in Prometheus was the least of that film's problems.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

I'm out (throws money down on table, exits room in a puff of tobacco smoke).

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I think the Alien connection in Prometheus was the least of that film's problems.
    Let's put it that way : Making a flawless movie is already a near-impossible task. But when you make a good movie, mistakes can be overlooked. But putting another layer on top of that that's supposed to perfectly align with a previous movie, that's getting ridiculous. You've just squared the amount of problematic points.
    Now, you're making a sci-fi action horror movie about the genesis of man and the sacrifice of christ and ancient aliens, which you directly connect to that one movie everyone considers pretty much flawless ? That's just fucking hubris.

The Alien connection may not have been the biggest problem, but it was the root of a whole supplementary level of issues, which you could directly compare to the very movie it was referencing.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post

I'm out (throws money down on table, exits room in a puff of tobacco smoke).
    Do we all think he's a bad actor now after Dallas Buyer's Club, Fight Club, American Psycho and Requiem for a Dream or something because of one movie he was in?

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't think he is a bad actor, just a bad person

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I don't think he is a bad actor, just a bad person
    Well I mean, Chinatown, The Pianist and Rosemary's Baby are some of the finest films in their genre and Roman Polanski is about as bad as it gets. Art =/= the artist.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 08-18-2016 at 07:30 PM. Reason: forget it, Jake; it's autocorrect

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Right, but for me it's a little easier to separate them and focus on the content of those movies when Polanski's face is not splashed across every frame (yes, I realize he has a cameo in Chinatown).

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Right, but for me it's a little easier to separate them and focus on the content of those movies when Polanski's face is not splashed across every frame (yes, I realize he has a cameo in Chinatown).
    I have the same problem with Tom Cruise. I cannot stand him as a person and all I see in his movies is Tom Cruise.

As far as Jared Leto is concerned, I like him as an actor. The man has talent. He's the only reason I can make it through Oliver Stone's Alexander. But he is a douche. A talented douche who doesn't age and who has amazing eyes.

@botley I guess you can take small comfort in the fact that Leto, being the ultimate Method actor that he is, is destined to piss off Harrison Ford. I want to be on that set so bad...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I don't like Jared Leto as a person and as a musician but I do think he is an excellent actor. Tom Cruise has some good movies but he tends to play the same characters and never does enough to do much in his acting while stuff in his personal life are just nuts considering whom he's associated with in the world of Scientology.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Of all the movies he's done that I liked, and thought he was okay in, it was always in supporting parts. That this was announced after the news that the guy from Captain Phillips makes it fine with me.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-18-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I think Leto would be an amazing Replicant. Just great. His features have that almost unreal smoothness, he has an alien sort of air about him, he can do detachment and withdrawal very well -- I think he'll be a great fit and I hope he bothers Harrison Ford the entire time by demanding he ask him about finding turtles in the desert, leaving origami unicorns in his dressing room and mailing used hard drives to him.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    And tweeting civil rights activists' quotes to describe how hard he's working.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't have a problem separating the person from the art. Hell, I'm interested in Hacksaw Ridge, and Mel Gibson is a fucking asshole. But he's damn good at directing. Leto's sins are just saying odd shit in interviews. If I avoided every movie because someone involved said something I didn't like, then I would see like 3 movies a year.

At work, I interact with people who have political, religious, or whatever views that I don't agree with. Some are even assholes sometimes. But I work with them and joke with them, choosing to see the good, unless they really cross a line, which hasn't happened yet. Everyone's got some shit we wouldn't like. Doesn't stop me from being nice, or from checking out a movie.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I think Leto would be an amazing Replicant. Just great. His features have that almost unreal smoothness, he has an alien sort of air about him, he can do detachment and withdrawal very well -- I think he'll be a great fit
    Good call.

I went through a "Leto is a total douche" phase (which I guess you never really leave) when I was a hardcore 30 Seconds To Mars fan, starting with finding their 2nd album by chance on release day, and ending with a string of disappointing/insulting live shows years later. I think I've expended more energy hating on the guy than I ever would have liked to, so now if he's attached to a cool & interesting movie or puts out a song I like, it's a win. It took me until my 2nd viewing of Dallas Buyers to have enough distance to really appreciate his performance and agree with the Academy's choice that year.

A little unrelated, but Denis Villeneuve's next movie before Blade Runner is also science-fiction, titled Arrival, and it looks pretty damn promising. Can't wait. I love how prolific Villeneuve is – hopefully he can maintain this pace of filmmaking for a while. At this point, I'll see anything he does, but if it's sci-fi, then it's that much more exciting.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I really dislike 30 Seconds to Mars, but Leto is a good actor. He would be great as a replicant. He already has a sort of natural sociopathic-looking emptiness in his eyes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

2049 is just one year away.

Ridley Scott. Denis Villeneuve. Harrison Ford. Ryan Gosling. #BladeRunner 2049 - in theaters October 6, 2017.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 12-26-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Boom.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Fuck it, I'm sold. The tone, the aesthetic, the soundtrack ... all seeming perfect to me. Blade Runner is a movie that is so much of what it is because of style and mood and this seems to have found it and continued it perfectly, if that trailer's anything to go by. Don't plan on watching any more ads than that. I'm in.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    this movie could flop big time but what intrigues me the most is that Johannson could bust out one of the most epic soundtracks of the century! fingers crossed, the teaser looks good but ultimately gives away nothing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I absolutely lost my shit over that trailer, knew Villeneuve and Johannson had it in them but it's great to see some evidence.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I didn't see that much to get excited about and Deckard just looks like old Harrison Ford at home. *shrug*

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Everything about that teaser was pretty awesome.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Please god, don't let this suck. Please..

Second.

Ryan Gosling cracks one smile and it'll be over for me.