Page 138 of 191 FirstFirst ... 38 88 128 136 137 138 139 140 148 188 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Midnight View Post
    I call him Snooze.
    I don't really get bored by his music, sure he has lots of soft "contemporary adult" songs, but at least they are well done, i just can't stand him as a person

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I don't really get bored by his music, sure he has lots of soft "contemporary adult" songs, but at least they are well done, i just can't stand him as a person
    I don't dislike him, I like some of the Police stuff but his solo stuff could be sold to Big Pharma for insomnia medication. I like jazz but his stuff is a little sleepy. I still think Snooze is a funny nickname. It should have a warning label "do not operate heavy machinery or if you suffer from narcolepsy while listening to this CD".
    Last edited by Sister Midnight; 01-13-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I don't like The Po-Po at all. I just don't. I also think Sting's voice is really fucking grating.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I got an angry face on FB for saying Simple Plans' Perfect is a fucking shit song. It is.
    Last edited by Pillfred; 01-14-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Taken from this thread:
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...885#post391885

Vampire Weekend vs. Whitesnake

Discuss

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    My vote goes to Whitesnake.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Given the choice, I’d rather listen to Whitesnaken as well.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    I got an angry face on FB for saying Simple Plans' Perfect is a fucking shit song. It is.
    Simple Plan made good songs?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Vampire Weekend's first two albums are good but I wouldn't call them outstanding or something amazing by any reach of the word.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Vampire Weekend's first two albums are good but I wouldn't call them outstanding or something amazing by any reach of the word.
    I'm afraid this excludes you from writing for Pitchfork.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Solo-wise Sting has a lot of good, and even some great songs, but it seems like they dried up after Brand New Day. It's highly lamentable that much more wasn't made out of his reunion with The Police other than the requisite cash-grab world tour.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Facelift>Dirt.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Paramore's last album After Laughter was one of my favorite records of 2017 and I'm a straight, red-blooded American male .

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Facelift>Dirt.
    My fave AIC release is and always will be Jar of Flies/Sap.
    Also, the self-titled is underrated, and was so even at the time.
    I do miss AIC and don't like their new albums much at all.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    My fave AIC release is and always will be Jar of Flies/Sap.
    Also, the self-titled is underrated, and was so even at the time.
    I do miss AIC and don't like their new albums much at all.
    I thought BGWTB was a perfectly fine AiC, i was kinda let down by Devil but it still had good songs.

But yeah, the two EPs are amazing...but eh...Facelift...while it does have We Die Young, Man In The Box and Love, Hate, Love....its just kinda....it still has that slight glam they used to be and it just didn't fit them....its not bad, not by a long shot but eh.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    But that being said, AiC at there worst is still better then most rock and metal bands

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Solo-wise Sting has a lot of good, and even some great songs, but it seems like they dried up after Brand New Day. It's highly lamentable that much more wasn't made out of his reunion with The Police other than the requisite cash-grab world tour.
    They hate each other. Word is that Sting only agreed to tour with them because Stewart and Andy really needed the money; Sting is already about as wealthy as Oprah. (That being said, I still saw the Police twice during the reunion tours, once at Wrigley Field heh)

I agree, I even liked Sting’s LUTE record and I enjoy that Winter record, too. But, otherwise, he seems so repetitive these days. And that musical, bleh.

Sting’s book is good, though. So is Andy’s.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-18-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Well, he's made a few appearances in SNL and well.... he wasn't very funny. He kinda tries too hard.
    He was funny playing Billy Idol on Frank Sinatra’s talk show lol.

He’s always been an actor, not a comedian. He usually played evil characters. Especially “Brimstone and Treacle.” It mined "Burn for You" from Sting's prior band, Last Exit:

Last edited by allegro; 01-18-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i used to love sting's solo material in my earlier days, but i haven't really given it much time since. i should probably reassess.

as far as the police goes, this song gives me chills:

i'm not wild about most of their upbeat stuff, but ghost in the machine really does it for me...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Master of Puppets.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my old band has a song called Blue-Turtle Yoga which is basically an entire song making fun of sting (despite all of us liking the police and a little of his solo material). he's just such a pretentious wanker we couldn't help it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    it says "This video is not available"
    is that because I'm in Canada?

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Facelift>Dirt.
    To me it's:

"Self Titled" > Dirt > Facelift

"Facelift" is an awesome album but i think their more mature stuff came later, also both the lyrics and the music got better...

Both acoustic albums are great too!, i think they can record another batch of those.
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 01-19-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    To me it's:

"Self Ttiled" > Dirt > Facelift

"Facelift" is an awesome album but i think their more mature stuff came later, also both the lyrics and the music got better...

Both acoustic albums are great too!, i think they can record another batch of those.
    +1

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it says "This video is not available"
    is that because I'm in Canada?
    probably. sorry.

here's a bandcamp link! https://theelizabethdane.bandcamp.co...ue-turtle-yoga

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Brad Roberts is one of the best lyricist of all time.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodoommonkey View Post
    Brad Roberts is one of the best lyricist of all time.
    Bold claim. Love me some Brad Roberts and CTD.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Mastodon are so mediocre and horrible. It makes me sad that this is what passes as the best metal has to offer. I've always been baffled by their success. Their music is just a bunch of influences thrown together in a random way, hardly ever arriving at good songwriting. A bit of Neurosis, a bit of Sabbath, a bit of King Crimson, a bit of Nirvana - and repeat. They don't have a classic song - a "Paranoid," "Enter Sandman," "Walk," or "Schizoid Man." I just feel they're a tired old version of what a metal band can be: all recycled bits from the past and nothing new. Cliche upon cliche (Moby Dick, Rasputin, blood, deserts, monsters, empires) wrapped up in a good dose of hipster handlebar irony. Occasionally they come up with a decent tune (High Road, Crystal Skull), but it's far and wide among their generally underwhelming output.
    Also, Brent Hinds is a shitty human being who bragged about assaulting another musician: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mas...u-in-the-face/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Mastodon are so mediocre and horrible. It makes me sad that this is what passes as the best metal has to offer. I've always been baffled by their success. Their music is just a bunch of influences thrown together in a random way, hardly ever arriving at good songwriting. A bit of Neurosis, a bit of Sabbath, a bit of King Crimson, a bit of Nirvana - and repeat. They don't have a classic song - a "Paranoid," "Enter Sandman," "Walk," or "Schizoid Man." I just feel they're a tired old version of what a metal band can be: all recycled bits from the past and nothing new. Cliche upon cliche (Moby Dick, Rasputin, blood, deserts, monsters, empires) wrapped up in a good dose of hipster handlebar irony. Occasionally they come up with a decent tune (High Road, Crystal Skull), but it's far and wide among their generally underwhelming output.
    Also, Brent Hinds is a shitty human being who bragged about assaulting another musician: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mas...u-in-the-face/
    woof, i didn't know that about brent. that makes me sad, especially because i love king khan.

musically, though, i highly disagree with you. i really, truly enjoy mastodon. i think they meld all their influences in a unique way that makes for some great music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Their more recent stuff has been mediocre, but Leviathan, Blood Mountain and CtS are all-time classics. They used to put so many great riffs into each track and yet they're so fucking catchy and easy to get into. The drum work is especially spectacular, Brann is a literal god.
    I listened to a lot of Dream Theater when I just got into prog metal, but I quickly grew weary of them needlessly stretching out their songs and let's be honest, most of their stuff is pure wank. Mastodon is like the total opposite of them, redefining fun with every new release... until OMRTS happened.