Page 139 of 191 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 137 138 139 140 141 149 189 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm not a big fan of Ministry.

I DO respect them for what they've done, and acknowledge that without them, a lot of my favorite bands would not exist/sound completely different, but IMO Ministry would be so much better if most of their songs were shortened by about 3-4 minutes.

That being said, there are some tracks that are perfect the way they are.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Mastodon are so mediocre and horrible. It makes me sad that this is what passes as the best metal has to offer. I've always been baffled by their success. Their music is just a bunch of influences thrown together in a random way, hardly ever arriving at good songwriting. A bit of Neurosis, a bit of Sabbath, a bit of King Crimson, a bit of Nirvana - and repeat. They don't have a classic song - a "Paranoid," "Enter Sandman," "Walk," or "Schizoid Man." I just feel they're a tired old version of what a metal band can be: all recycled bits from the past and nothing new. Cliche upon cliche (Moby Dick, Rasputin, blood, deserts, monsters, empires) wrapped up in a good dose of hipster handlebar irony. Occasionally they come up with a decent tune (High Road, Crystal Skull), but it's far and wide among their generally underwhelming output.
    Also, Brent Hinds is a shitty human being who bragged about assaulting another musician: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mas...u-in-the-face/
    They're boring and the drummer is OTT wankery. And oh look, someone who's mates with Josh Homme turns out to be an abusive cock. It's a good job we can never know if all these allegations are true, otherwise I would just conclude these people are a shower of shitty bastards

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Staind has some decent songs, especially when dude plays them acoustic. I think that, at the core, he's a sensitive singer -songwriter type and the songs suffered from being played in the post grunge style that was so popular at the time.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-10-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

Tool are so fucking boring.

I seriously tried, listened to their albums, but no... despite having a few good songs, I can’t help it, they are mind-numbingly boring, flat, generic and derivative.

What’s even worse: tool fans. If you don’t like tool, apparently it is “because you don’t understand tool” as if to truly appreciate their music you were required to have a certain degree of enlightenment to really understand the depth of their art.

You haven’t dropped enough acid to open your third eye and enjoy and appreciate this band.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Tool are so fucking boring.

I seriously tried, listened to their albums, but no... despite having a few good songs, I can’t help it, they are mind-numbingly boring, flat, generic and derivative.

What’s even worse: tool fans. If you don’t like tool, apparently it is “because you don’t understand tool” as if to truly appreciate their music you were required to have a certain degree of enlightenment to really understand the depth of their art.

You haven’t dropped enough acid to open your third eye and enjoy and appreciate this band.
    I can see the boring part, "flat" is a word with different meanings to different people, but the "generic and derivative" one took me by surprise. Care to show some examples?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    I can see the boring part, "flat" is a word with different meanings to different people, but the "generic and derivative" one took me by surprise. Care to show some examples?
    Examples of what?
    It’s just an opinion, not absolute facts. It’s not like I have to prove anything.

By flat, I mean that none of their songs made me go “oh, wait, what was that? I’ll play it again”. I mean, no melody, riff, lyrics made me have that reaction. Generic and derivative... sounds like I’ve listened to it before, but with different band names and song titles. Again, it’s not bad music at all, it just doesn’t touch or tickle me in the right places. It feels more appropriate as background music while I’m doing something else.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    Examples of what?
    It’s just an opinion, not absolute facts. It’s not like I have to prove anything.

By flat, I mean that none of their songs made me go “oh, wait, what was that? I’ll play it again”. I mean, no melody, riff, lyrics made me have that reaction. Generic and derivative... sounds like I’ve listened to it before, but with different band names and song titles. Again, it’s not bad music at all, it just doesn’t touch or tickle me in the right places. It feels more appropriate as background music while I’m doing something else.
    I think he wanted to know what you felt like tool was derivative of. (Of what tool was derivative?)

They're usually considered sort of groundbreaking, although I'd argue that some of it is reminiscent of certain bits of Jethro Tull and Rush.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I think he wanted to know what you felt like tool was derivative of. (Of what tool was derivative?)
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

I see influences like King Crimson here and there but generally speaking, I see Tool as one of the few bands with a unique, personal sound. Maybe we are having a case o "Seinfeld is unfunny" here? That was my opinion on Nirvana or Radiohead at first, but it didn't last long. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...nfeldIsUnfunny

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I enjoyed Tool quite a bit when I was about 14 or so, but as I've gotten older, I find them to be pretty insufferable. Their lyrics are really bad, and their whole dark, math-nerd, mystic bro image is so cringe-worthy.

I could maybe appreciate them in a dumb, tongue-in-cheek sort of way, kind of like listening to "We Built This City" or "The Final Countdown" or any other music that has that kind of silly entertainment value. But I can't imagine actually taking their music seriously.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Mastodon are so mediocre and horrible. It makes me sad that this is what passes as the best metal has to offer. I've always been baffled by their success. Their music is just a bunch of influences thrown together in a random way, hardly ever arriving at good songwriting. A bit of Neurosis, a bit of Sabbath, a bit of King Crimson, a bit of Nirvana - and repeat. They don't have a classic song - a "Paranoid," "Enter Sandman," "Walk," or "Schizoid Man." I just feel they're a tired old version of what a metal band can be: all recycled bits from the past and nothing new. Cliche upon cliche (Moby Dick, Rasputin, blood, deserts, monsters, empires) wrapped up in a good dose of hipster handlebar irony. Occasionally they come up with a decent tune (High Road, Crystal Skull), but it's far and wide among their generally underwhelming output.
    Also, Brent Hinds is a shitty human being who bragged about assaulting another musician: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mas...u-in-the-face/
    I had to see them at a festival last year and despite liking none of the studio tracks I checked out, I’d heard so much about how good they are and tried to keep an open mind. It was one of the most boring shows I have ever seen. The whole time people around me were so into it and I was baffled. I’ve never been a metalhead anyway but I’ve been able to get into and enjoy the genre live, but everything about them felt flat and generic.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I owned a Limp Bizkit album in 1997 for about a week

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I owned a Limp Bizkit album in 1997 for about a week
    I owned- and probably still have them somewhere- TWO LB CD’s. It’s a pretty safe bet that if one was a white male in his teenage years to mid 20’s back when they blew up that that person owned something from LB.

The worst though was buying an ICP CD back in the late 90’s. I think I didn’t even make it through one listen. I actually liked LB back in the day, but time hasn’t been kind to them.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I owned- and probably still have them somewhere- TWO LB CD’s. It’s a pretty safe bet that if one was a white male in his teenage years to mid 20’s back when they blew up that that person owned something from LB.

The worst though was buying an ICP CD back in the late 90’s. I think I didn’t even make it through one listen. I actually liked LB back in the day, but time hasn’t been kind to them.
    they're about to repress the amazing jeckel brothers on vinyl. i bought the CD in 7th grade because of the song "fuck the world" in which they inform you that they "say fuck in this song 93 times" and because when you're 12/13 that's hilarious and so edgy.

i don't have it anymore.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I think Manic Street Preachers are boring as fuck.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-11-2018 at 09:08 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I think Manic Street Preachers are boring as fuck.
    All of it? I would say fair enough but the holy bible album stands apart, so much better than everything else they did, and by a huge margin. It's actually pretty strange

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    All of it? I would say fair enough but the holy bible album stands apart, so much better than everything else they did, and by a huge margin. It's actually pretty strange
    That was my first stop and I’ve revisited it several times. Does nothing for me!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Fair enough - I've listened to it obsessively since I was 14, so it's pretty much impossible to view it objectively, not actually sure if it's good or not!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So a co-worker played Phish at work and I can reaffirm my hate for "jam bands" that play one song of guitar wanking for 23 minutes a song and it's a meandering melody with nothing tying to it.

Hate that shit. Total snooze fest.

Phish also sucks. Thanks for the Ben and Jerry's ice cream flavor though, boys.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 03-17-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @frankie teardrop thank you, i fucking despise the grateful dead (including "touch of grey")

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Korn are one band that greatly improved over time.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    How about no?
    I think they gradually lost and diluted everything that made them interesting.
    The first two albums founded a genre, were classics in their time, then the band got more and more mainstream and boring. I enjoy everything up to Untitled, after that I find them to be nothing but a hollow shell, with the occasional catchy tune (like 1 or 2 per album tops).
    These records with Ray Luzier are embarassing, and they just keep getting worse and worse: formulaic songwriting, bad lyrics, no power at all, just empty wannabe industrial rock.
    Also, JD's solo album sounds super weak: https://www.theprp.com/2018/03/19/ne...ack-labyrinth/

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    if anything they became worse...

Deftones on another hand, got so much better
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-20-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    live, arguably yes...studio output, not a shot in hell.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    How about no?
    I think they gradually lost and diluted everything that made them interesting.
    The first two albums founded a genre, were classics in their time, then the band got more and more mainstream and boring. I enjoy everything up to Untitled, after that I find them to be nothing but a hollow shell, with the occasional catchy tune (like 1 or 2 per album tops).
    These records with Ray Luzier are embarassing, and they just keep getting worse and worse: formulaic songwriting, bad lyrics, no power at all, just empty wannabe industrial rock.
    Also, JD's solo album sounds super weak: https://www.theprp.com/2018/03/19/ne...ack-labyrinth/
    Early Korn might be classics in the genre and I like them to a point, but I much prefer their later, more commercial work. Just better writing, imho, of course.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    sure, it's all subjective. I feel that early Korn had that vibe where anything can happen, nothing is set in stone: you can get a cover of War's Lowrider that sounds like Barry White fronting Primus followed by Ice Cube's Wicked with Chino Moreno on vocals; it was like death metal and pop and funk and everything in between spinning madly out of control, with some super-tight musicianship and a mad sense of adventure, of breaking new ground and creating new sounds. Then they turned into Pimp Rock Pearl Jam, and even that was cool for a bit, and now decades later they're just some Alex Jones supporting goth Nickleback, it's a little tragic to me. They never had any "integrity" so to speak to begin with, but they used to make vital, unpredictable, nothing to lose heavy metal - which is a rare thing, and now I find them so mundane and unexciting to listen to. I almost wish they'd gone full pop like Fall Out Boy instead of still trying to position themselves as a metal band.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I haven’t listened or cared for Korn since 2007’s Untitled. I’ll always check them out but the quality isn’t there.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    @aggroculture

You hate Bob Dylan and Pink Floyd and The Cure and the Rolling Stones and Neil Young and Springsteen...

...but you love Korn?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Korn and Manson seem to be Gen X and Ys version of Kiss....Its almost embarrassing to admit you listen to them if you are older then 15 unless you actually listened to them when you were 15 and stayed loyal to them for sentimental reasons

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I like Limp Bizkit and Crazy Town as well - that first Crazy Town album is bangin

I also love plenty of "good taste" music too, like Leonard Cohen and Aphex Twin and John Zorn