Page 134 of 191 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 184 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think, the cover works well in context of the album and it's actually good looking, when you're holding a physical version of the album in your hands. I call that the "The Next Day"-syndrome.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand what the big deal is surrounding that LCD Sound System band. They have got to be the most overrated, overglorified, downright shit band I've heard in the past decade.

Listened to their newest album three times, and can't understand even a modicum of the hype surrounding it. It sounds like Bono wailing/speak-singing over the most rudimentary New Order knock-off instrumentals he could find. Some of the tracks -- Other Voices, Call The Cops, Emotional Haircut -- made me want to jump out of a window, they were so annoying.

I remember when they revealed the album cover for American Dreams and wondering if the music was going to be as bland as the cover suggested. Sure enough..
    I mostly agree with you on this. I have their hits and I do enjoy their self titled and This Is Happening overall but don't quite get what people rave about. It's your basic formulaic rock infused with electronics and beats. Then again I don't like Daft Punk either and find them incredibly bland yet they're the biggest thing since sliced bread for electronic music fans for the most part.

For LCD Soundsystem, if all of their songs sounded like Movement (below) I'd be WAY more into them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    New QotSA album is a poorly mixed mess (which is extra suprising from QotSA) and I don't understand how people can't hear it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not a Tori Amos fan and I actually do not get her appeal whatsoever. I listened to a few albums in the past and found it a boring chore. I popped a few on today for the hell of it....ugh. Hasn't changed.
    Try the last quarter of Under the Pink. If that doesn't grab you, you probably just won't be all that into her.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    New QotSA album is a poorly mixed mess (which is extra suprising from QotSA) and I don't understand how people can't hear it.
    People said the same thing about the last Deftones album, but to me, that's just internet armchair engineering. Gore sounds fantastic whether I'm playing it on vinyl, CD or even the digital files.

I've played the new Queens album a few times on vinyl and nothing stood out to me as messy about the mix. What are your issues with it?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    People said the same thing about the last Deftones album, but to me, that's just internet armchair engineering. Gore sounds fantastic whether I'm playing it on vinyl, CD or even the digital files.

I've played the new Queens album a few times on vinyl and nothing stood out to me as messy about the mix. What are your issues with it?
    gore is just mixed TOO LOUD and mastered EVEN LOUDER so there's a lot of over-saturation.

the new QotSA album is mixed really thin and lifeless. it sounds tiny whereas queens usually sound HUGE (because they are and their sound is indicative of that), so it's almost like it's disingenuous. plus, how can you have a drummer as talented as jon theodore and not utilize him at all?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand what the big deal is surrounding that LCD Sound System band. They have got to be the most overrated, overglorified, downright shit band I've heard in the past decade.

Listened to their newest album three times, and can't understand even a modicum of the hype surrounding it. It sounds like Bono wailing/speak-singing over the most rudimentary New Order knock-off instrumentals he could find. Some of the tracks -- Other Voices, Call The Cops, Emotional Haircut -- made me want to jump out of a window, they were so annoying.

I remember when they revealed the album cover for American Dreams and wondering if the music was going to be as bland as the cover suggested. Sure enough..
    I'm with you. Said it a few times on here before. LCD is dance music for white people that are afraid to listen to actual electronic dance music. If you wanna shake your butt, listen to some stuff with balls instead of that neutered crap:

Last edited by bobbie solo; 09-04-2017 at 01:13 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I'm with you. Said it a few times on here before. LCD is dance music for white people that are afraid to listen to actual electronic dance music. If you wanna shake your butt, listen to some stuff with balls instead of that neutered crap
    Man, you should've followed your statements up and post some stuff that's actually got more balls than LCD instead of posting some generic dance music that's incredibly one note.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i actually had a (very cathartic) discussion with a barista in starbucks yesterday after an LCD Soundsystem song ended and he went "FINALLY! resolution!" we gabbed about how irritatingly consistent the song was and how many of their songs are like that, and it offers no sense of enjoyability even if you DO want to dance, because there's no dynamics or changes. also, james murphy's voice is not pleasant.

all that said, i really admire the trans woman who is a member of the band being out and open about herself and setting a great example for others. i just wish she was in a better band hahaha

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Man, you should've followed your statements up and post some stuff that's actually got more balls than LCD instead of posting some generic dance music that's incredibly one note.
    I would argue that the Dirty Bird guys are at the top of the food chain in producing quality, dance-able house that pushes the genre in different directions. Sure they're not experimental per se, but they are consistent. No balls? Did you actually listen to that bassline in the Hello Clouds remix?

Malaa (Tchami & DJ Snake most likely) are doing interesting things with g house and some more techy stuff. Not completely my bag, but they're popular and people wait on every new track.

Waxy is just a fun producer and DJ. See him DJ live before scoffing. 1:05:38 in.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Glenn Hughes is the most gifted vocalist Black Sabbath ever worked with.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    LCD Soundsystem seems to me like some kind of piece of corporate performance art, to see how far you can get by being completely devoid of substance or style. There's nothing there, just a bunch of hype and hot air. It's Talking Heads art-rock minus the art and the rock. It's middle aged, middle class nihilism turned inwards, finding inside its hollow core an IKEA catalogue instead of a soul.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    That's a bit harsh even for this thread, in the way it reads as pure prejudice. You're not talking about some artificially created pop-doll/band that doesn't know how to produce or write his/her own lyrics and sound generic as fuck like One Direction, Nickelback, Katy Perry and the likes.
    You guys clearly never listened to an LCD album with an open mind. You may not like the music (tastes, etc.) or the man behind it (for whatever reasons), but in terms of production, lyrics, musicality, creativity or vision Murphy is at least in the same league as TR, if not above. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I just think LCD is becoming the new "cool to hate" band...

I get if somebody doesn't like them, but to say they are "corporate" or "devoid of substance" is a bit harsh.

Oh and "Sound of Silver" is to me one of the greatest dance/electronica albums ever!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Re: the 2 above posts; That's why it's being discussed in the "Controversial", and not the "Shitty" thread.

It's here so we don't go trolling the people who are actually fans of said band(s). Probably staying the obvious but different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Re: the 2 above posts; That's why it's being discussed in the "Controversial", and not the "Shitty" thread.

It's here so we don't go trolling the people who are actually fans of said band(s). Probably staying the obvious but different strokes for different folks, and all that.
    I understand and my statement about "Sound of Silver" is a controversial opinion in itself.
    And i respect others posts, but obviously in the "controversial thread" opinions are going to "clash", that's what is for...
    But i agree: different strokes for diffrent folks, i just found funny all this "newfound LCD hate".

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    But i agree: different strokes for diffrent folks, i just found funny all this "newfound LCD hate".
    I think it's always been there, personally never cared for them and don't get the hype either like others have said already. Just so happens that there's a new LCD album so they'll be talked about one way or another.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I think it's always been there, personally never cared for them and don't get the hype either like others have said already. Just so happens that there's a new LCD album so they'll be talked about one way or another.
    i didn't like them when they were originally around, i think it's just come back up for me since they put out a new album

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I listened to some LCD Soundsystem yesterday, and they made me think a bit of Oingo Boingo, a very underrated band.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I listened to some LCD Soundsystem yesterday, and they made me think a bit of Oingo Boingo, a very underrated band.
    oingo boingo is one of my favorite bands. unique, inspired, and very skilled...kind of the opposite of LCD, to me

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    You guys clearly never listened to an LCD album with an open mind. You may not like the music (tastes, etc.) or the man behind it (for whatever reasons), but in terms of production, lyrics, musicality, creativity or vision Murphy is at least in the same league as TR, if not above. I'm sorry, but that's the truth.
    Those LCD Soundsystem lyrics, man..

New york, I love you
    But you're freaking me out

But they shuttered your stores
    When you opened the doors
    To the cops who were bored
    Once they'd run out of crime

There's a ton of the twist
    But we're fresh out of shout

Like a death in the hall
    That you hear through your wall

But you're still the one pool
    Where I'd happily drown

A modern-day Rimbaud, no question..

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Yo, man, I never said anything about Rimbaud, so please apply the same cynicism to TR's lyrics, while you're at it. Because those lyrics are not worse than his.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

He kind of looks like A.C. Slater.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Cage the Elephant...meh. They're one of the band's like The Strokes that's gotten a lot of hype that I found to be extremely average.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like "Cornflake Girl" but have found her albums rather painfully tedious to listen to. However I have warmed to Joanna Newsom lately, so maybe Tori will click for me too one day.

I wish Katy Perry was as much a goofball in her actual music as she is in her videos: she would be a lot more awesome.
    She should make a record influenced by Mr Bungle and John Zorn.
    People sure do like shit.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Despite the lyrics being absolutely atrocious, the new Powerman 5000 song is pretty good.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yo, man, I never said anything about Rimbaud, so please apply the same cynicism to TR's lyrics, while you're at it. Because those lyrics are not worse than his.
    Trent has been routinely pulled up on his lyrics by both critics and fans alike whereas the critics fall over themselves to fellate James Murphy for everything he's done.
    http://www.metacritic.com/music/amer...critic-reviews

i don't know why you can't bear people to have one corner of the internet to redress the hype

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    i don't know why you can't bear people to have one corner of the internet to redress the hype
    It's not about that. This is a thread for controversial opinions and discussing those, no? I was just responding to someone who quoted me.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I just can't get into Pvris. I've tried to listen to them several times and they just don't do anything for me. Some of my friends rave about them and they are always on tour with a band i like...but they're just...meh to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    i hate this song and this band so much. people like them, cite how fun they are, but to me, they are lifeless and emotionless, and their lyrics are TERRIBLE. their cover of "shadowplay" by joy division (which was used at the end of the film Control) almost ruined the original version of the song for me, that's how much i disliked it.

all that said, when brandon flowers had a mustache, i found him really attractive.