Page 33 of 191 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 83 133 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is overrated, On Avery Island was way better...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    oddly enough, this is exactly the sort of thing I've been getting into lately. More and more I've been fascinated with the idea of an album being loaded with short tracks (thirty seconds and shorter for the most part) with them doing their thing, setting it out, and and then stopping. Kind of like the album Minidisc by Gescom, but with less of a randomness concept driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    I like it best when songs have those intros and interludes WITHIN the song - it bugs me when they get their own separate track, especially if they're under a minute. I like music to be a journey; most of my favorite songs establish a hook, then tear off in the complete opposite direction.
    It's just two different ways of expressing the same idea. One's not inherently better than the other, though I admit that it annoys me when I have to skip a minute and a half of intro when I really just wanna hear the song. Having the intro be a second track lets you choose whether or not you listen to it all together. Tool-Flood, Coheed-The Writing Writer, TMV-Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore are a couple of songs that bug me in that way.
    Last edited by think i'm a fire engine; 10-28-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Passion Pit is the most insufferable fucking garbage.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    I bought that first Passion Pit album and only liked one song. But man, they're fucking terrible and I don't know how they got popular and why hipsters love them as well. The guy's voice is grating and it's self loathing glossed over shitty synthpop. Fuck these guys, fuck them up their stupid asses.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clownboat View Post
    New album is pretty good, very well written electro pop.

I'd say Matt & Kim are worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't bring myself to listen to the new Passion Pit more than a couple of times. I like cheerful synthpop and unique vocals, but this is just impenetrable to me. I do remember liking bits and pieces of the debut though, but I can't even bring myself to play that one again. Although having "Sleepyhead" as part of the LittleBigPlanet soundtrack is a perfect fit.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is overrated, On Avery Island was way better...
    I actually used to feel the same way (except I didn't care all that much for Avery Island either really), but I just found myself listening to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, and it's a beautiful album that is far more brutal than I remember it being. Maybe I've just moved more towards this sort of thing, and I'm kind of blown away by the understated emotional intensity of it. Maybe it's because (due to necessity) I've given less and less of a shit about lyrics in my music, but these come pounding out at you, and there's only a little poetic wank in there; most of it is just honest to the point where it's almost meanspirited, and I can't help but be impressed and maybe even a little awestruck by it.

I don't know... If you'd said this to me last week, I'd probably have agreed, but I've given Aeroplane a second listen, and I've changed my mind entirely about it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    The Unquestionable Truth Pt1 is by far the best Limp Bizkit record, and contains the best Wes Borland guitar work.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Björk is fucking fantastic

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The Unquestionable Truth Pt1 is by far the best Limp Bizkit record, and contains the best Wes Borland guitar work.
    It's ok, but the album it's a complete ripoff of Rage Against the Machine, sadly Limp Bizkit fail in the credibility department...

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke

Björk is fucking fantastic
    is that really a controversial opinion?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Unquestionable Truth, Pt. 1 is my favourite Limp record too. And the turd my cat squeezed out on Saturday is by far the best of his oeuvre.

It's a controversial opinion these days, about Björk. Her last three records seem to be done with the intent to polarize the audience. My controversial opinion there is that Medulla is the best Björk record, and I hated it when it came out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    It's ok, but the album it's a complete ripoff of Rage Against the Machine, sadly Limp Bizkit fail in the credibility department...
    Even amongst their defenders, I'm not sure credibility is the biggest of issues when it comes to Bizkit.

Also, it's really their best album. Awesome guitar riffs, Fred being less annoying than usual. Makes them look like a real band when compared to that City of Angels song.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    My controversial opinion there is that Medulla is the best Björk record, and I hated it when it came out.
    I don't know, I can't get into it, but I respect the concept and execution of it. That goes for most of the Bjork stuff that doesn't really resonate with me... and even though Post, Vespertine, and Homogenic are amazing, there's moments on Biophilia that I like. That seems to be the common opinion I run into. She still commands a ton of respect, even if people aren't really feeling the music.

Volta was majorly disappointing however.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    New album is pretty good, very well written electro pop.

I'd say Matt & Kim are worse.
    Matt and Kim are fucking terrible, but not as bad as Passion Pit.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I think it's by far their worst release. WB's guitar work is good - I'll give you that: some nice riffs there, unencumbered by their usual studio trickery. They kind of let him do his thing on this record, perhaps as thanks for re-joining. But it's the only good thing about that EP. The drums were played by CIV's Sammy Siegler, who totally didn't get LB's sound. The songs sound half-finished - the whole thing sounds like a bunch of demos, really. And yes, the vocals are totally RATM rip-off, which I find super-offputting. Fred Durst is no Zack de la Rocha, and it's embarassing to see him try. LB were trying to reinvent themselves here, and it didn't work. The Truth, The Channel, and The Story are pretty good songs: so three songs. Not enough.
    I think Significant Other and Chocolate Starfish are LB's best albums.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    The songs sound half-finished - the whole thing sounds like a bunch of demos, really.
    I think that's why that album is so damn appealing to me. It's raw, it's not over-polished. I loved Limp when I was younger, but now only 3 dollar bill and the Unquestionable Truth pt1 are the only albums that I have time for. (Apart from Boiler, maybe Rearranged too)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    why nirvana is a great band and all naysayers are wrong

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    im glad im not a DJ anymore. if i had to play gangnam style every other night, i'd kill myself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    eeewww Madonna sang Gangnam style live stupid bitch, 54 year old hag is so desperate to stay hip its sad. Anything that's in 'vouge' which comes along, she NEEDS to be part of it, no matter how fucking lame. What an atrocious piece of music. Her Boyfriend is 23 or something. And is called Jesus, yeah he's hot but she is gross. And starting to look predatory.

She is awful now but... The Immaculate Collection is a brilliant brilliant record. And so is Ray Of Light. I saw Madonna on her Blonde Ambition tour, in 1990? was not massively into her, but went, it was a really great live show, i feel the need to defend 1980s Madonna, Lady Gaga's music does not come fucking close to how good her stuff was back then. She had well written tunes and personality. Holiday is a masterpiece, she was also seen as way more dangerous. Something has gone terribly wrong in the last decade, she is in terminal decline she cant even sell records anymore. A 54 year old tramp wearing a crown of thorns humping 20 year old men on stage firing fake machine guns, singing gangnam style. eeeeewww.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

heh but if a 54 year old guy was out there doing that shit, it'd be okay.

Aside from all the really sexist shit in that post ^, I agree that Madonna needs to give up that persona and move in a new direction.
    Last edited by allegro; 11-19-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Couldn't agree with you more, allegro. Recent Madonna is awful indeed, but I don't see the need to savage her like that. She maintained a very, very high level of quality for a very, very long time. Who else in pop could manage that? For longevity and continued innovation it's her and Bowie and err... um, well, it looks like my post is finished.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I think she was on a good path with Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light. I really love Bedtime Story, song and video.

Then she seemed to return to cheesy pop and disco which wasn't so appealing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Everyone's cutoff point with Madonna is different, for me she fell off immediately after Confessions, which I'll defend tooth and nail. It was a really, really good disco record. Ray of Light,​ though, beats them all.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    heh but if a 54 year old guy was out there doing that shit, it'd be okay.

Aside from all the really sexist shit in that post ^, I agree that Madonna needs to give up that persona and move in a new direction.
    What I was saying was stupid, but yes it does look sexist. I dont know where that came from, a video of her's really pissed me off. All i meant to say is that i love her old material dearly and i find what she is doing now really really tacky.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    PSY + MC Hammer = awesome! haha

You can deny that their performance at the AMA was entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Fuck these guys, fuck them up their stupid asses.
    One of the best quotes of all time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    Everyone's cutoff point with Madonna is different, for me she fell off immediately after Confessions, which I'll defend tooth and nail. It was a really, really good disco record. Ray of Light,​ though, beats them all.
    Agree. After Confessions, she chose the wrong path by going back to kinky pop with Hard Candy (which she had already done in the early 90's). Instead, she could have gone into adult pop or even alternative pop like, say, Beck or Björk. The road was there after Ray of Light, Music, and American Pie/Beautiful Stranger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ray of Light = UUUGGGHHHHHH. I kept hearing how great it was, and everyone was sure I'd like it seeing as I loved electronic music so much. So I gave it a listen. . . . sooooooo mundane compared to what was going on at the time. For proper examples of 'going electronica' see Tori Amos - From the Choirgirl Hotel (not all of it) and David Bowie - Earthling.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    while i agree that your choices are better, deux, there are a few good tunes on ray of light, none of which are the title track. i always liked 'skin.' i chalk a lot of that album up to william orbit.

other good examples of 90s artists going electronic- blur's 13, r.e.m.'s up, smashing pumpkins' adore, and i suppose you could count ok computer here, too.