Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Black Keys. Meh.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    The Black Keys. Meh.
    Agreed. Much like Jack White/TWS, I like them, but don't think that they're the bee's knees.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 10-02-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The Black Keys are overrated and boring

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I liked them once but since then no longer enjoy them. I think I like 3 songs if that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The first song on Turn Blue ("Weight Of Love") is probably my favourite tune of 2014. It has everything; all the way down the line from great production/arrangement to the epic guitar solo. I think that Dan Auerbach is a skilled songwriter and for the most part, all the Black Keys' studio albums are solid.

BUT....I think that their drummer is one of the biggest dickheads in all of music. Leaving all his douchey and self-entitled opinions aside, I find his playing comical. He looks like he is too big for the kit and he obviously struggles to keep time (because of his poor technique). I hate everything about him and I have no desire to see them live.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I know the Black Keys since they were an "Epitaph Band" in the "Punk-O-Rama" albums, i never cared for them, they just sounded generic to me (not terrible, but not great either), they were "boring rock" to me but i never hated them or anything...
    ...then they became this "massive band" and everyone put "El Camino" as one of the best albums of the year and everyone started to "like them" (here in Mexico they even headlined one annual festival) that's when they became overrated, i thought it was mostly hype but i listened to "El Camino", again they did nothing for me so i just moved on.
    It's funny that they always have great album covers and great titles (even the band name sounds cool), but their music always bore me, never knew about the drummer but i can't say i'm surprised...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 10-06-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    So I guess it would be controversial to say I love Jack White. Seeing him in August was up there with LITS in terms of mind-blowing concerts.

Comedown Machine and Is This It are the only The Strokes albums I can get into.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    So I guess it would be controversial to say I love Jack White. Seeing him in August was up there with LITS in terms of mind-blowing concerts.

Comedown Machine and Is This It are the only The Strokes albums I can get into.
    I LOVE JACK WHITE.

But Jack White is the reason why alternative music sucks so fucking bad right now. I think what happened is Cage The Elephant liked Jack White so much they decided to be a tribute band, and then other bands wanted to do it too, and then it snowballed into this world of ukelales and pussies.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I LOVE JACK WHITE.

But Jack White is the reason why alternative music sucks so fucking bad right now. I think what happened is Cage The Elephant liked Jack White so much they decided to be a tribute band, and then other bands wanted to do it too, and then it snowballed into this world of ukelales and pussies.
    I think it's more of the bands wanting to be Arcade Fire/The Strokes/ Fleet Foxes that's made alt music so bland. I like all three, but seriously, not every band has to sound like a combo of the three. I guess add Bon Iver too. I can kinda see how JW might have influenced the back to roots music thing. But yeah, it makes it hard to go into a coffee shop and hear the same generic indie folk thing people seem to be so in love with here.

This smaller alt festival in my city announced their lineup a while back and EVERY band had members with the beard, long greasy hair, hipster glasses and flannel thing going. Talk about generic.

And how can I forget Mumford & Sons. Can't stand em. And then there is that band Bastille they keep playing on the radio at work. If M&S got even worse it would be Bastille.
    Last edited by icecream; 10-07-2014 at 12:58 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Mumford & Sons, ugh... Sadly i have a CD of them that someone gave to me in a birthday ("you'll love them, she said"), i listened to it once and tried to forget about it, so bland and boring, hated them...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Mumford & Sons, ugh... Sadly i have a CD of them that someone gave to me in a birthday ("you'll love them, she said"), i listened to it once and tried to forget about it, so bland and boring, hated them...

"you like rock music, right? here, have this. the man at the store says they play a guitar."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    alright, this is gonna really make some waves.

The Cardigans' best album is really "Life" and not "Grand Turismo."

I know. Big deal.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    "you like rock music, right? here, have this. the man at the store says they play a guitar."
    You made me laugh hard, yes i guess that's what they told her at the record store when she bought, i keep it because it was given as a nice and honest gesture but i can't listen to the thing, i've tried and end up hating it even more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Arcade Fire began to suck after The Suburbs. Reflektor is a poor attempt to change their sound, with underwritten songs and crap lyrics.
    But dose first 3 records tho. <3
    On other genres, I don't know if I said this already, but Bring Me The Horizon are a good band and have been since their second album (Not their 3rd/4th like everyone says). Their first record can get in the fucking bin though, that is a terrible record.
    Thirdly, Mastodon fans, The Hunter is a good record, it isn't just Curl Of The Burl. Also, is Curl Of The Burl really that bad.
    To finish, three thoughts on Deftones:
    1. White Pony isn't Deftones best album, thats Diamond Eyes.
    2. Deftones fans really need to stop bumming Saturday Night Wrist. Its a great record, but its easily their worst imo.
    3. The self-titled record is underrated.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnjollyIrishman View Post
    1. White Pony isn't Deftones best album, thats Diamond Eyes.
    2. Deftones fans really need to stop bumming Saturday Night Wrist. Its a great record, but its easily their worst imo.
    3. The self-titled record is underrated.
    I'll join the "Saturday Night Wrist" appreciation, that album is great and it's easily my favorite (with "Around the fur"), i agree that "Self-titled" is underrated but it's actually one of my least favorites.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Hole in the Earth is in my top 5 Deftones songs. (The rest are Knife Party, Wax and Wane, Swerve City and Passenger).
    Overall, there's no such thing as bad Deftones album.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    What the fuck is fleet foxes!?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by decadent View Post
    What the fuck is fleet foxes!?
    A band with guitars and other instruments

Agree about AF. Reflektor was way too long. The songs weren't interesting enough to hold my attention. The Suburbs almost fell victim to this but I feel it is a stronger album overall.

Someone saw I had an acoustic guitar and said I would like M&S. Gave their first album a listen and didn't like it. Then their new single I will Wait was super repetitive and annoying as hell. Didn't give that album a chance.
    Last edited by icecream; 10-08-2014 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Yall hating on The Black Keys are taking them too seriously. In a world of awful dance pop and self serious indie rock (the scene in which they sort of came up with), they're a breath of fresh air. They've come from being a two piece blues band to an exceptional rock and roll band. Seriously, Brothers and El Camino are dirty, scuzzy rock records with silly lyrics and sleazy riffs. El Camino is this generations answer to Eliminator by ZZ Top, I honestly don't see how people can detest it that much when it's just rock and roll. As for Patrick Carney's comments, he isn't nearly an asshole that most of you guys make him out to be, no more than Maynard or Trent who are treated like gods on these boards. Once you all stop listening to shitty Tool drumfills and want to have a little fun, me and a good portion of the world will be here enjoying The Black Keys' brand of beer commercial rock, we'll have a good time, and we won't take it to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    I think what happened is Cage The Elephant liked Jack White so much they decided to be a tribute band, and then other bands wanted to do it too, and then it snowballed into this world of ukelales and pussies.
    None of this makes any sense. Cage the Elephant sound nothing like Jack White. Cage the Elephant if anything resemble Pixies and 90's post grunge. There are basically no bands, aside from The Black Keys that even sound remotely like Jack White. I don't know how you would get "ukelales" and pussies from simple blues rock. If you want to talk about what begat ukulele rock, blame bullshit like Regina Spektor.
    Last edited by Kid Charlemagne; 10-08-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I think it's more of the bands wanting to be Arcade Fire/The Strokes/ Fleet Foxes that's made alt music so bland. I like all three, but seriously, not every band has to sound like a combo of the three. I guess add Bon Iver too. I can kinda see how JW might have influenced the back to roots music thing. But yeah, it makes it hard to go into a coffee shop and hear the same generic indie folk thing people seem to be so in love with here.
    These three bands have less to do with that coffee shop rock you're peddling. This all dates back to the soundtrack for "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", that soundtrack alone brought back the folk revival to the mainstream and put an emphasis on folk and blues rock. Frankly, Arcade Fire and The Strokes don't sound like anything popular right now, if anything the bands they influenced are no longer relevant (see the 00's post punk revival and The Airborne Toxic Event). But shit like Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, Lumineers? They probably heard "Man of Constant Sorrow" non stop.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    These three bands have less to do with that coffee shop rock you're peddling. This all dates back to the soundtrack for "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", that soundtrack alone brought back the folk revival to the mainstream and put an emphasis on folk and blues rock. Frankly, Arcade Fire and The Strokes don't sound like anything popular right now, if anything the bands they influenced are no longer relevant (see the 00's post punk revival and The Airborne Toxic Event). But shit like Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers, Lumineers? They probably heard "Man of Constant Sorrow" non stop.
    I was talking about the current indie scent in general. Not just generic coffee shop music.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I was talking about the current indie scent in general. Not just generic coffee shop music.
    What is your definition of "current indie scene"? Indie is used to describe independent music on independent labels, Indie is not a genre of music. Most of the music on those said labels is varied and completely different from each other.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What is your definition of "current indie scene"? Indie is used to describe independent music on independent labels, Indie is not a genre of music. Most of the music on those said labels is varied and completely different from each other.
    Good point. My post was super vague. More the style of music college kids (people my age) have been listen to. What's on the labels can be really interesting.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Good point. My post was super vague. More the style of music college kids (people my age) have been listen to. What's on the labels can be really interesting.
    Understood, I think most bands played on alt-rock radio sound the same, Bastille has songs that sound like everyone, or that time I couldn't tell the difference between Of Monsters and Men and The Head and the Heart. It's all dribble, but I don't think it's necessary to dismiss a band for brewing that kind of music. That's like saying NIN sucks because they begat Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills or that The Simpsons is bad because Family Guy shamelessly rips them off.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Understood, I think most bands played on alt-rock radio sound the same, Bastille has songs that sound like everyone, or that time I couldn't tell the difference between Of Monsters and Men and The Head and the Heart. It's all dribble, but I don't think it's necessary to dismiss a band for brewing that kind of music. That's like saying NIN sucks because they begat Stabbing Westward and Gravity Kills or that The Simpsons is bad because Family Guy shamelessly rips them off.
    Agreed. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to dismiss the genre as a whole. Like I mentioned, i like bands classified as indie. Thinking about it more, my problem is with indie as a style of music becoming really popular. It bothers me for some reason. Commercials using it, the aesthetic of it is everywhere. It strikes me as being super uncool for everyone trying to be cool by liking it. Especially when plenty if indie label artists are doing truly original things and never getting credit or success. Add to that the local music scene in my city is filled with the most generic indie style bands/ singer songwriters
    Last edited by icecream; 10-08-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    As with any genre, there's a lot of shit and a lot of gold. You just have to weed it out.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Agreed. Just to clarify, I'm not trying to dismiss the genre as a whole. Like I mentioned, i like bands classified as indie. Thinking about it more, my problem is with indie as a style of music becoming really popular. It bothers me for some reason. Commercials using it, the aesthetic of it is everywhere. It strikes me as being super uncool for everyone trying to be cool by liking it. Especially when plenty if indie label artists are doing truly original things and never getting credit or success. Add to that the local music scene in my city is filled with the most generic indie style bands/ singer songwriters
    That's a phase with any passing genre, in the 90's everyone sounded like Pearl Jam, with nu-metal, people bought turntables, then everyone bought eyeliner and wanted to be My Chemical Romance, now people want to be like Marcus Mumford. It just happens, it's an unfortunate endless cycle of crap.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Danny Elfman has written some amazing music in his time.
    But Oingo Boingo is 85% forgettable, generic crap. There is some gold among that 15%, but most of the time Oingo Boingo is painfully mediocre.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Fiona Apple is the shit. She's crazy but she is down right genius.