Page 43 of 191 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Controversial Music Opinions...

It was worse when he was aping the Red Hot Chili Peppers in his old band, Bad Radio:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=wnXZQ...%3DwnXZQ-z5mvU

I really loved Eddie's version of Dylan's "Masters of War."

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uNxD6...%3DuNxD6fkEgwI
    Last edited by allegro; 04-29-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like Hurts. Not in the sense of them being really good, but in showing talent and having the potential to be great in a decade or so. Right now they seem too try-hard and self-aware, which comes out in the form of Exile. Didn't like. But I still have faith in these guys.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I am curious as to by whom.
    By people in the local music scene, the indie press (who pretty much ignored them) and indie labels. Pygmy Love Circus had more credibility than Tool. After Geffen's success with Nirvana, all the other major labels scrambled to find their own version of the same band and Tool was BMG's.
    Last edited by Baphomette; 04-29-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Then they paid for that "Sober" video and the rest was history.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Hmmm. I fucking LOVE pearl jam. And i fucking LOVE nirvana. I'm not sure i understand the argument.
    As far as Cobain "not being the punk rock personna he tried to embody," i think this is true in a way. He was conflicted...i read a GREAT KC bio called heavier than heaven that talked about Cobain saying he didn't want nirvana's videos on mtv, then secretly calling mtv and bitching cause they weren't getting enough airplay.
    He was a conflicted personality, and i always got the impression that he could play and sing better than he let on.
    I just find this AMAZING purity in albums like In Utero and Incesticide that still give me goosebumps to this day.
    Meanwhile, i've been on a PJ kick since watching PJ 20. I was 11 when ten came out and 12 when nevermind (and broken, and undertow) came out, so that's kinda the music of my formative years, you know? I love a LOT of those bands from that wave.
    For the record, i DO think cobain belongs alongside the melvins and sonic youth and fugazi and such...he just sold more records.
    Who was faking it?
    Stone Temple Pilots.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Cobain's journals* also shed a lot of light on who he was: a pretty smart and talented guy, obsessed with music. *Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Re: Controversial Music Opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Cobain's journals* also shed a lot of light on who he was: a pretty smart and talented guy, obsessed with music. *Highly recommended.
    I always felt kind of dirty reading them but yeah, they're fascinating. His "comics" are awesome/hilarious too.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I just can't excited about anything Chino Moreno does these days.
    It all sounds the same to me: Palms, Crosses...file under "chillout or slightly more electronic Deftones material."
    I haven't heard much of the latest Deftones album, but Diamond Eyes was awful. Rocket Skates wasn't a bad single, but I find the rest of the album a total chore. I start listening, and almost instantly bored I turn off. It's the same ideas over and over and over and I just don't get why he's such hot property right now. He's a one-trick pony if ever there was one.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I always kinda liked The Raveonettes. Was never a huge fan and I never saw them live but I liked their retro campy fuzzy guitars, the tremolos and the melodies. I just tried to get through their Observator album from 2012 and boy was it a chore to even listen to the first 4 tracks. It really sounds like a frustrated attempt to become something different just for the sake of it, with no clear vision or joy.

When bands go bad...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Ahhh stone temple pilots. Members of the band I used to manage, played some shows with the old stone temple pilots. Back before Core.

Apparently they were a red hot chilli peppers rip off funk band. Basically they were whatever was popular at the time. And they did this a couple times before they broke out with the Alice in chains type Core.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Y'know, I've gotta give it to 'em, though.

I'm a HUGE fan of AiC's Staley years and back when the Stone Temple Pilots were breaking through with Core, I pretty much wrote 'em off as That-Band-That-Wouldn't-Have-a-Career-if-Layne-Wasn't-Too-Dopesick-to-Tour, but a couple years ago I knew a girl who was a big fan and I MegaBused the two of us to go see them at the Indy 500 of all places, and they were fucking incredible. I'd already kinda started to like 'em as they began to branch out and expand upon "their" sound around the time of Tiny Music..., but I never really cared enough to actually be much of a fan.

But that show fucking blew me away.

And goddamnit, those albums have mostly held up fantastically over the years.

Whether they were trying to be Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, or whoever else, they fucking brought it and kicked ass for all they were worth.

That said, I bought an STP band-patch at the show and have yet to sew it on anything, lol.

:-\

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I will always have a major soft spot for STP. It's true that they were a rip-off in the beginning, because apparently their record label literally had them listen to Pearl Jam's Ten and told them to try to emulate it. But they grew into themselves over the next few albums. I still think Purple is a stone cold classic and I love Tiny Music, too. I enjoyed their albums less and less after that, and Scott is pretty embarrassing, but I think they were pretty great when they were at the height of their powers.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Agreed on STP, they might not have been the most original band but they had great songs and solid albums (something i can't say about Creed...)
    In the last 3 albums they where able to build their own identity and i think choosing a "psychedelic-beatlesque" direction was the right thing for them and their sound and luckily they are not a shameless ripoff...
    I never cared for Weiland's addictions but he's a charismatic and talented frontman.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    as a sucker for all things that jocked bowie when i was younger and more vulnerable, i did enjoy "big bang baby" and scott's solo record (especially "barbarella") back when they came out. can't say i listen to any of it now, but i do have a nostalgic soft spot for purple/tiny music/12 bar blues.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Is it me? or everyone is creaming their pants too much for (Daft Punk's) "Random Access Memories"?

I get "Discovery" was a great album and they have a couple of good songs, but the new single is just popish nonesense, I streamed the album today just to hear what the fuzz was about and excluding the track with Giorgio Moroder the album is average at best... it's not bad music, but it's just plain ok, i could live without this one...

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Is it me? or everyone is creaming their pants too much for (Daft Punk's) "Random Access Memories"?
    Actually, I'm surprised that it seems most people (even the most rabid fans) are willing to admit that it's a major letdown.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Hey wait get this....

I don't like Daft Punk at all. How's them apples?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Hey wait get this....

I don't like Daft Punk at all. How's them apples?
    Goddamnit I was coming here to post basically exactly that. You know one of the things that was cool about music in the mid-90s? It didn't sound like music from the 70s or the 80s. Everything that I liked about Daft Punk is absent from this new album, and I'm sure they're crying all the way to the bank.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I've never seen the thrill with Daft Punk. there is SO much electronic music that is LIGHTYEARS beyond and Better than Daft Punk. And you dont have to look very far to find it.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Do you guys get upset when some teenage girls shit their pants over the newest Justin Bieber album too? People get excited for things they love. If you don't dig Daft Punk (or even if you're a casual fan), of course you're not going to get the hype around the album. Saying "I don't get it." "This is better." etc, etc. is just as annoying to me as the people who proclaim it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Now THERE'S a controversial opinion.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Do you guys get upset when some teenage girls shit their pants over the newest Justin Bieber album too? People get excited for things they love. If you don't dig Daft Punk (or even if you're a casual fan), of course you're not going to get the hype around the album. Saying "I don't get it." "This is better." etc, etc. is just as annoying to me as the people who proclaim it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Now THERE'S a controversial opinion.
    Im not criticizing the band and/or getting upset with his followers... if you want to get excited do it, nothing wrong with that!
    As i said: i like "Discovery" and a few songs from "Human after all", im a casual fan at best but im always open to listen more from them and even i got excited when i found out about the Giorgio Moroder track.

I get pumped for new releases as everyone else, but im trying to be objective here and call it like i see it (or hear it in this case...)
    For example: one of my favorite bands ever is Queens of the Stone Age and obviously i got excited when i heard about the new record, then i heard "My god is the sun" and it didn't do anything for me, still i did not lost excitement and im buying the album when it comes out just because i love this band so much, but im also honest with myself and im willing to admit the new QUOTSA track was average at best.

Being a fan has nothing to do with being objective as a listener and its OK to admit that the "hype" around a new release is mostly marketing, but the real test comes listening to the album, not liking it does not mean you're "betraying your favorite band" or "becoming an evil heartless critic".

I did not like the album and that's why i don't believe the hype, plain and simple...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-13-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Dont believe the hype YO!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's not about liking or disliking anything. Your free to like or dislike what you please. It's about whining about something when it becomes popular. I could complain every time a new Michael Bay movie comes out and makes a billion dollars, but what's the point? Some things are just popular. People are happy there's a new album out. It's okay to not like the album, but complaining about people that do is pointless in my opinion.

And it's not just this album. I see it all the time. A new album/movie/etc. will come out with lots of hype behind it, people will love it to death, and you'll have people who (figuratively) sit in a corner stewing about all the attention its getting. (I've been guilty of it too from time to time.) Why are people so hellbent to comment on things that they don't enjoy? If you don't like the hype or the praise something is getting, don't pay attention to it. Move on to something else. The internet is expansive. There's plenty of other things to focus on besides people who think the new album is God's gift to mankind.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Well... the thread is called "controversial music opinions" not "complacent music opinions"... if there's a place to complain about some band, fans, hype or press i guess (and hope) this is the place to do it... (otherwise i'll post it in the Daft Punk thread but that would be pointless...)

I do understand your comment on people "complaining about the people who like it" and i think you misunderstood our posts: we're not bashing "fans" but we as "casual fans" or even "detractors", don't get what's so special about one of the bands that's getting a lot of press and hype lately.
    I was willing to give them a shot because i wanted to be convinced by them and be able to discover this band at last, that didn't happened so that's why i posted about Daft Punk in the first place, i just did not hear nothing special, nothing personal...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I really like Daft Punk but the new album sounds fucking terrible. There is a line where you're not just casually paying homage to cheesy 70s funk and disco, and then when you just become a pure fucking self involved parody of it, and that's what the new Daft Punk album is.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    To me the greatest Michael Jackson album of all time was "Off the Wall" and "Random Access Memories" reminds me of that in certain places. I like bands like Macintosh Plus and Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti and if you took moments from those groups, forgotten 70's disco and funk and Daft Punk robots you have "Random Access Memories".

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^Speaking of Michael Jackson, I absolutely love the Bad album (wasn't so keen on Thriller except the title track) - The Way You Make Me Feel, Smooth Criminal, Bad, Man in the Mirror, Dirty Diana - love all those songs

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I know that Daft Punk are the originals, and Justice are the followers.
    But I much prefer Justice: I think they're so much more interesting.
    Their recent album is fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think Daft Punk have a lot more cachet in the states than they do in Britain (a bit like Stella Artois)

I was going to edit that to sound less snooty, but maybe I won't

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    The best remix album ever (music NIN ones) is The Final Remixes by Die Krupps

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like Creed's first two albums and think that Alter Bridge are pretty good.

I think that Jack White is totally overrated and that Jani Lane was an underrated songwriter.