Page 96 of 191 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 146 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,880 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Royal Blood aren't bad. I don't dislike them, but they aren't exactly the saviors of rock or a new Nirvana either. Better than average, IMHO, sounding a lot like the Black Keys, Jack White, etc. That retro-garage sound is what's been hip for the last few years.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I still like the record to some extent and like I said there were a few really good moments in their show. They CAN play very well, but yet there was absolutely no atmosphere or even magic in the air. The sort of feeling you have in a small-ish club when a band plays and you just know they are bound to get big. At least that's what I experienced with the Black Keys back in the day when I first saw them in a really small venue.

That just isn't there with these two guys and their mixture of only having two instruments on stage doesn't work out so well, unlike with bands e.g. the White Stripes, Black Keys, DFA1979... their sound is just not interesting enough musically to varant a full live show. Again, that's my opinion, but I spoke to couple of people after the gig and they shared my view. Excited at first but severly let down by the show itself.

Mini Mansions opened for them and the crowd just didn't get them. I don't like them too much either, but that's some funky ironic music you just have to smile to when it is presented to you live.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I kind of really enjoy a lot of Barry Manilow stuff and think he's a phenomenal performer. Planning on seeing him for the first time this year, making a trip to Atlanta to do it since it's his final major tour supposedly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    did you know... ginger fish used to be his drummer

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Turns out, Steve Reich is great for long commutes — especially his insane early stuff.

It took me forever to finally get around to it, but I'm glad I did. I'm five hours into Works 1965–1995, another 4-1/2 to go…

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Type O Negative is so bad I can't even take it
    TON are the band that got me into music, kindly reconsider with the below song and video.

@Wolfkiller @Charmingly Miserable - I'm going to need a hand with this one.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    @Ryan I am not too familiar with the entire TON discography but I do like them a lot. I think a lot of what I have heard from them (Life is Killing Me and Bloody Kisses) is very tongue in cheek without it be corny. Plus, I'm sure you've seen Peter Steele's penis. Wowsers! RIP Peter.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    TON are the band that got me into music, kindly reconsider with the below song and video.

I've heard this expressed before, I don't think not liking Type O is all that controversial. Besides, @tony.parente likes limp bizket and new Marilyn Manson, his opinion is invalid.
    Last edited by Wolfkiller; 01-18-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    Besides, @tony.parente likes limp bizkit

>2015
    >not limping with the bizkit

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfkiller View Post
    I've heard this expressed before, I don't think not liking Type O is all that controversial. Besides, @tony.parente likes limp bizket and new Marilyn Manson, his opinion is invalid.
    Case closed!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    is that kurt and elvis? hahaha

weird how he has a belly that is toned at the edges, how do you do that lol

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Maybe it's just because he's part of that g-g-generation.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    is it still too much to hope for him to f f f f fade away

I remember manson was on breakfast tv about 15 years ago, he pretended to not know who fred was and asked who the luciano pavarotti guy in the red cap was, sigh

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Oh, the irony of that Kurt Cobain tattoo. Fred Durst exemplifies the type of fan Cobain hated.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Oh, the irony of that Kurt Cobain tattoo. Fred Durst exemplifies the type of fan Cobain hated.
    I don't know, his state persona is quite different than his off stage personality...at least in my experience.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    tony... did he touch you

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    tony... did he touch you
    H...he did...
    He...he touched my hand with...with his hand.

AND THEN HE SIGNED MY CD.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    radiohead: meeting people is easy

is bollocks

a dvd with raw cuts of the performed songs might just redeem it, but as it is... 20 seconds of a song followed by 20 seconds of a bus going down a tunnel or whatever, no dice

I get it as a mood piece, I'm sure it would work quite well if I didn't desperately want to hear more of the actual music. But anyway I didn't really like it and everyone seems to love it

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

is bollocks

a dvd with raw cuts of the performed songs might just redeem it, but as it is... 20 seconds of a song followed by 20 seconds of a bus going down a tunnel or whatever, no dice

I get it as a mood piece, I'm sure it would work quite well if I didn't desperately want to hear more of the actual music. But anyway I didn't really like it and everyone seems to love it
    Couldn't agree more, i used to own this film in VHS (a long time ago when it came out i bought it...) and i was far beyond disappointed, sure it has some interesting footage but most of it looks like an unfinished student film about everything BUT Radiohead...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    On the other hand, there's enough proshot/soundboard Radiohead recordings as it is. So seeing some backstage/documentary footage for a change is also nice.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    As much as I love Aerosmith (which is a lot), I'm not a big fan of their You Gotta Move and Rock For The Rising Sun DVDs. Sure, they feature amazing performances, but what bothers me is that the songs keep getting cut off for interviews and documentary footage and the like. At least play the whole song and then cut to the other footage; don't cut it off halfway through or start the song a minute late for it.
    When You Gotta Move came out, a lot of people were upset over the constant song interruptions, and then Rock For The Rising Sun came out and not only did the same thing, but it was a lot worse, and neither have an option to play the unedited concerts without the interruptions. That shit disappoints me. I love documentary concert movies, but not at the expense of the songs.
    Last edited by The_Prowler; 01-20-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Prowler View Post
    I love documentary concert movies, but not at the expense of the songs.
    I guess it's the difference between a music documentary and a band documentary. I'd rather go with the music myself.

From NIN Spotting:

Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I forgot if we had a covers thread, so I'm posting it here.

The Body and Thou cover Terrible Lie.
    I just don't understand metal anymore. I thought for sure that 80s hair metal was the nadir — never would have guessed that "the future" would be bands that sound like 10-year-olds with strep throat.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I'm not much into metal, but The Body's I Shall Die Here appeared on my top ten list for last year. That NIN cover with Thou is terrible.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I'm not much into metal, but The Body's I Shall Die Here appeared on my top ten list for last year. That NIN cover with Thou is terrible.
    Well if we're agreed that their Terrible Lie is terrible , then I'm willing to check out their other stuff.

Though I'm disappointed that it wasn't one band called "The Body and Thou."

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Fuck intros, fuck outros, fuck skits, fuck interludes and - most importantly - fuck your pretentious elaborate narratives about your bloated concept-albums, you self-centered prick-musician.
    Just give me ten to twelve songs that fit well together musically and I'm good.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    lol at least you have itunes nowadays. Imagine smells like children on vinyl

I love it but I can see why people would be tearing their hair out

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

\

Type O Negative is in my top 5 favorite bands of all time. Everything Dies is the only song of theirs i dont have on my ipod. Never dug it, except the outro. TON and Peter Steele are one of the most underated artists of our time. So sad he passed away when he did. I even love carnivore and i am NOT into hardcore music like that. But i think everything dies is a bad example of a really good TON song. Fuck, i could go on about TON for hours and hours......wonder what that next album wouldve sounded like.......

Top 5 for anyone who cares or is curious.....nin(duh), tool, genesis(peter gabriel era), david bowie, and TON. The beatles, skinny puppy and pink floyd are right up there too.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 01-21-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)

is bollocks

It's not meant to be a concert movie though. I think it's a really unique band documentary, and it does a good job of capturing "where they were at" mentally at that point in their career, and it's aesthetically on point with OK Computer.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I know, I get it, I was just disappointed, and quite surprised how highly it was rated. I felt "bodysong" with the greenwood soundtrack gave me more a radiohead vibe

For a really bad rock movie check out godard's sympathy for the devil

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Type O Neg, good shit. It's too bad I never got the chance to see them live, Steele was a fucking legend.