Page 35 of 191 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Ministry's ever popular "Jesus Built My Hotrod" is a terrible song and I don't really get how it has the praise it does.

Rammstein's 2001 album, Mutter, is terrible and doesn't have a good song on it. I don't like anything off or from it. Never bought it, never been in my library since my initial hearing and never will my opinion change.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's fun and completely unlike the rest of their music, so it stands out in that way. It's not my favorite Ministry song by a long shot, but I don't see it as terrible at all.
    I get that but Gibby Haynes totally ruins it for me. I like Butthole Surfers but him meshing with Ministry for even one song is just...I don't know.

Also my post deletion got the quote jumbled.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Bat For Lashes' "Laura" is the best video. And I don't like music videos.
    I'm not so sure about that...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Rammstein's 2001 album, Mutter, is terrible and doesn't have a good song on it. I don't like anything off or from it. Never bought it, never been in my library since my initial hearing and never will my opinion change.
    Funny, i think the exact same thing about "Rosenrot", i just can't get into it...
    "Mutter" is a bit mediocre at times but it's listenable compared to "Rosenrot", i think this one is the worst Rammstein release.
    I also find "Reise Reise" extremely underrated!
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-26-2012 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Funny, i think the exact same thing about "Rosenrot", i just can't get into it...
    "Mutter" is a bit mediocre at times but it's listenable compared to "Rosenrot", i think this one is the worst Rammstein release.
    I also find "Reise Reise" extremely underrated!
    Most people think Rosenrot is garbage but I must say that it has quite a few great tracks like Mann Gegen Mann, Benzin,Stirb Nicht Vor Mir and Te Quiero Puta! The rest I can take or leave. Still better than anything on Mutter. Can't listen to anything from it. Only song I can remember by name from it is Links 2 3 4. Meh.

I also agree about Reise, Reise.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    "Reise Reise" deserves better, it has awesome songs like "Amerika", "Dalai Lama", "Los", "Ohne Dich" to name a few...
    "Te quiero puta!" is so cheesy!, i know that Rammstein isn't the most "serious" band ever and i appreciate the nod to his hispanic audience but the track has the dumbest lyrics ever!
    I do like "Benzin" and "Mann Gegen Mann", that's about it...

On topic: Arcade Fire is overrated, i do like the band and i think they have a great album (Neon Bible) but their success is mostly because marketing and hype, i think they are repeating themselves and they should be careful not to become the new U2 (Muse, im also looking at your way!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Arcade Fire are weird for me. It's the only band I've ever heard to be able to perform a song that I'm totally in to, then within the same song, add something or or do something so out of left field that I find laugh out loud awful, that it ruins the whole song for me. And this happens all the time with them, at least every other song.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I just can't get into anything remotely "indie". I'm not good at describing it but it just doesn't jive with my own tastes, which tend to run more towards musical complexity, in scope and performance. The post-rock movement is more my speed, exploring the outer limits and not sticking to 4/4 and cliche.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    post-rock is "indie" by the original definition, which meant not on a major label. while the term changed to be kind of peppy, minimal rock, it's still a little too broad to define and write off as such. can you be more specific? for example, arcade fire AND animal collective are both tagged as "indie" though neither sound alike.

as for post-rock try codeine out, if you're unfamiliar.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I guess it's the "peppy, minimal" stuff as you described. I can't get much into Arcade Fire (I do like "My Body Is A Cage", but Peter Gabriel's version is far superior IMO). I think I tried Animal Collective because people throw "prog" around when describing them, but I didn't hear it from what I had heard. The majority of my taste is driven by a higher level of playing ability, with exceptions to those that know how to do more with less (Eno, Trent, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, etc, etc.). What generally doesn't appeal to me is simple for the sake of being simple. That goes for a lot of pop music, but it's been the case with rock bands for a long while now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    onthewall: Do you have any exceptions to that rule? I ask because, for the most part, I'm with you, except when it comes to bands like Wire.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    wire as indie rock? or wire as doing great things with simplicity?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    You just broke my heart Space.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankieteardrop View Post
    wire as indie rock? or wire as doing great things with simplicity?
    Entirely the latter.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    You just broke my heart Space.

Shall I bring staples, glue or tape?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I prefer needle and thread

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Mutter is great. Spieluhr is one of Rammstein's best songs, period. Ich Will and Sonne are also classics.
    Everything from and including Reise, Reise is weaker than Mutter. And Rosenrot > Reise, Reise.
    And Emigrate is a pile of shit, but that's not controversial.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I like Rosenrot, but not more than Reise, Reise.

But Moskau and Morgenstern are the two tracks I always skip, they just annoy me. Stein Um Stein is one of the best if not THE best song on there.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I lost complete interest in Rammstein when Reise, Reise came out. America or whatever that song was called was laughably bad, maybe that was the point. I own/like Mutter and of course, Sehnsucht, but their sound doesn't have enough variety to keep me interested past those two alums.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ministry's ever popular "Jesus Built My Hotrod" is a terrible song and I don't really get how it has the praise it does.

If I remember correctly, JBMH was the result of Warner Bros pressuring Al to release a single. I think it was out a year before the actual album, or something like that. He did it as a joke to push the label's buttons, but apparently it became one of Warner Bros's all time best selling singles.

I think the song is fun. Ministry weren't genre restricted until the 00's, they tinkered with several different styles and put out some great stuff in their first 20 years.
    Last edited by Senateguard33; 11-26-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: adding quote

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Sparks are so underrated. I don't think I've heard anything by them that wasn't awesome in some way.
    I'm going to make it my mission to get more of their albums.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    amen. that's less a controversial opinion than it is a case of being criminally underrated, but yeah, they rule.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    What would you say their best albums are?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    with such a consistent and expansive discography, it's all pretty damn good... but the four i return most often to are kimono my house, propaganda, and the two albums with morodor (the no. 1 in heaven & terminal jive). they're the fan favorites, but for a good reason.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 11-27-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling 101

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I admit it. I still don't get the love for My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album. I've tried numerous times to appreciate it, w/little success. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of the shoegaze genre they purportedly inspired (Ride, Lush, Swervedriver, etc... ), but I know I like lots of music from lots of playgrounds. Tell me, show me... what am I missing?

One other thing... Faith No More's "Album of the Year" is their unquestionable masterpiece. Each of their albums offers up its own strengths, however AOTY is the most consistent, confident (in terms of talent, not fake rap/pseudo-metal reliance bluster) lp in their discog. If nothing else, the flow of the album is superb, start to finish. Something for everyone.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    there are two camps to shoegaze. there's the really fuzzed out/aggressive side of things (the bands you mention and dislike) and the really slow, drawn out, dreamy kind (slowdive, mazzy star, ashrae fax, etc.).

not that a band can't be both (ride, blind mr. jones, and pale saints come to mind), but i've found i lean more towards the melodic/dreamy/slow/sad kind of shoegaze overall.

but if you don't like shoegaze whatsoever, you're not going to like my bloody valentine.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    It's OK to dislike Loveless. I have bought and resold that album 2 or 3 times over the years because I couldn't get into anything but the opening track, but inevitably I would always end up feeling like I wanted to give it another shot. It's currently part of my collection and it will probably stay there for real this time, but even now I'm still lukewarm about it. I personally find it to be overly monotonous and droning in some places.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2257949.html

It's cool to have someone who had huge remarks in the past apologize after dumb Americans made him rich recently and he's performing at the White House.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Kid Rock's Devil Without a Cause was a diamond seller in its heyday, but no one gives a damn about it these days. That's a pity, I think it's a lost classic. It's solid from back to front, covers a lot of different ground pretty seamlessly, and has a great sense of humor, with better brag lines than one might expect from real rappers. "I be the long-haired wizard with the lazy eye" is something I still tell people when I'm drunk.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Grandaddy is probably the most underrated band of the past two decades.