Page 133 of 191 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 ... LastLast
Results 3,961 to 3,990 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I don't know about that. I like them to a point, but never really "got" them or saw what was so amazing about them. I feel that way about TOOL too.
    OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac is a 1-2-3 punch of precise musical atmosphere and some of the greatest albums to come out in the late 90's/early 2000's. I however also agree, while also being a big fan of them, I never quite get the universal praise they get. The praise and importance is severely overblown to the point of head scratching to me. They're amazingly awesome but not to the extent people claim them for.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I quite enjoy Radiohead and I understand why some people could find them overrated but let's face it, they come out of the nineties and it's the last great decade music wise.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    When Radiohead came out with "Creep" I thought they were weak Nirvana wannabes.
    I gradually warmed to them on The Bends and I loved OK Computer. I think it's a Sgt. Pepper's for the 90s. Fantastic songs, really playful, and this dramatic sense of tragedy.
    After that for me, they blew it, walking away from songwriting and into this ambient soft-rock vibe, which is animated by an increasingly dogmatic and one-dimensional sense of political outrage. I find them unlistenable these days, they take themselves way too seriously as Important Artists With Something Meaningful To Say About The Deep Injustice Of Modern Life or something, but it's all so vague and melancholic, I can't get into it.

I'd rather listen to OneRepublic, they write catchier songs.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    The new linkin park record is their best since meteora.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac is a 1-2-3 punch of precise musical atmosphere and some of the greatest albums to come out in the late 90's/early 2000's. I however also agree, while also being a big fan of them, I never quite get the universal praise they get. The praise and importance is severely overblown to the point of head scratching to me. They're amazingly awesome but not to the extent people claim them for.
    Yeah, I should probably spend more time on those.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    When Radiohead came out with "Creep" I thought they were weak Nirvana wannabes.
    I gradually warmed to them on The Bends and I loved OK Computer. I think it's a Sgt. Pepper's for the 90s. Fantastic songs, really playful, and this dramatic sense of tragedy.
    After that for me, they blew it, walking away from songwriting and into this ambient soft-rock vibe, which is animated by an increasingly dogmatic and one-dimensional sense of political outrage. I find them unlistenable these days, they take themselves way too seriously as Important Artists With Something Meaningful To Say About The Deep Injustice Of Modern Life or something, but it's all so vague and melancholic, I can't get into it.

I'd rather listen to OneRepublic, they write catchier songs.
    that confuses me a bit because the majority of "a moon shaped pool" is written about personal matters, not political ones.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I prefer GN'R's cover of "Sympathy" over the Stones original.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nothing that has come out this year, including releases from some of my favorite artists, have been really connecting very deep with me. I've kind of slept on the latest releases from Big Big Train and Anathema, who have made some of my very favorite albums of recent memory. Steven Wilson is about to release a pop/rock record, all three tracks out so far I like but I'm less excited for the album as a whole but will withhold judgment until I hear it all the way of course. Even Roger Waters' latest, which I really liked the first time, hasn't really warranted much more listening from me.

Maybe I just need to give them time, who knows.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    the strobelight joke never really resonated with me because i fucking LOVE Timbaland.
    And although Chris Cornell's "Scream" was uneven, i enjoy it overall.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    the strobelight joke never really resonated with me because i fucking LOVE Timbaland.
    If Cornell had continued in that direction, I would have been disappointed. As a one-off album, I always thought it was kind of cool and interesting.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    but those track titles are hilarious in and of themselves!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but those track titles are hilarious in and of themselves!
    I'll give you that.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    80s pop music, particularly synth pop gets way more of a bad rap than it deserves critically.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    i LIKE Who Let The Dogs Out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Nothing that has come out this year, including releases from some of my favorite artists, have been really connecting very deep with me. I've kind of slept on the latest releases from Big Big Train and Anathema, who have made some of my very favorite albums of recent memory. Steven Wilson is about to release a pop/rock record, all three tracks out so far I like but I'm less excited for the album as a whole but will withhold judgment until I hear it all the way of course. Even Roger Waters' latest, which I really liked the first time, hasn't really warranted much more listening from me.

Maybe I just need to give them time, who knows.

That new Roger Waters album was completely forgettable. It's good but I have no desire to revisit. I feel like "oh, yea. I heard that. Ok." which is how I've felt about a TON of releases this year. 2017 has been pretty weak.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I really like OneRepublic. And I have @Jinsai to thank for it. I'd never heard of them before coming across them in the Shitty Music thread.
    I do wish they would rock out more, though. I love their upbeat tracks, don't care so much for their softer material - which is most of it.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...lic#post222941

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    GWAR fucking sucks. I tried so many times to see what the big deal is. Represents everything I don't like about metal (I know they're more hard rock) and if you're friends with me in here you know I love it haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Unless the recording is especially muddy and noisy unmastered tracks almost always sound better than even lightly mastered tracks

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    Unless the recording is especially muddy and noisy unmastered tracks almost always sound better than even lightly mastered tracks
    yeah, i really like the approach steven wilson has used for the last few years (including with all the king crimson stuff he did) which is to make such a good mix that it doesn't need to be mastered.

that said, i got my last two albums mastered by a friend who a) uses a REALLY nice analog compressor and b) really knows what he's doing, and it made them both sound much better than i could have done on my own (because i don't have any outboard gear and only have VST plug-ins on which to rely).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I loved Evanescence when they first came out because they were original to me. I saw them in concert 10 years ago. Now there are too many other bands trying to emulate them. The problem with Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Within Temptation is that they all sound very similar to Evanescence. Soon this genre will be all played out like disco and shoegaze.
    Last edited by Boots; 08-20-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    I loved Evanescence when they first came out because they were original to me. I saw them in concert 10 years ago. Now there are too many other bands trying to emulate them. The problem with Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Within Temptation is that they all sound very similar to Evanescence. Soon this genre will be all played out like disco and shoegaze.
    Lacuna Coil are great! You're crazy! They also pre-date Evanescence along with having a male vocalist too.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Have you heard what Amy is attempting to trod out in order to squeeze another buck out of her dying career?

http://www.theprp.com/2017/08/18/new...on-bring-life/

Evanescence have released the below orchestral version of “Bring Me To Life“. This reworked version of the track comes from the band’s new album “Synthesis“. which reimagines various tracks from the band’s catalog in a similar fashion. Two new songs will also be featured on that album when it arrives this fall. Frontwoman Amy Lee told Rollingstone.com of this new version of “Bring Me To Life” which was arranged in part by David Campbell:
    “‘Bring Me To Life‘ is new to me again after 15 years. It’s difficult to explain how good that makes me feel. Having the chance to incorporate things I’ve heard in my head throughout that long period of time, nuances from the way I sing it live, just pouring the weight and perspective of the life I’ve lived now back into that root – it’s pure satisfaction.”
    In addition to the below stream, the track can also be found at select digital retailers. The group will be touring in support of the album on this fall tour.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Lee Douglas of Anathema is probably my favorite female rock singer currently going. On the few tracks on their last album where she sings lead I thought this is the band Evanescence tried to be.

Somewhat in that same vein, is another band I like quite a bit out of Sweden, Paatos. They haven't put out in an album in quite awhile unfortunately, but their work is worth seeking out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Blues music is the same notes, phrases and themes repeated over and over again. It gets very tiresome. That's why I don't care for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    let's face it, they come out of the nineties and it's the last great decade music wise.
    If you were ever curious about what it sounds like to turn into your parents, it's saying stuff like this.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Not a Tori Amos fan and I actually do not get her appeal whatsoever. I listened to a few albums in the past and found it a boring chore. I popped a few on today for the hell of it....ugh. Hasn't changed.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Not a Tori Amos fan and I actually do not get her appeal whatsoever. I listened to a few albums in the past and found it a boring chore. I popped a few on today for the hell of it....ugh. Hasn't changed.
    I like "Cornflake Girl" but have found her albums rather painfully tedious to listen to. However I have warmed to Joanna Newsom lately, so maybe Tori will click for me too one day.

I wish Katy Perry was as much a goofball in her actual music as she is in her videos: she would be a lot more awesome.
    She should make a record influenced by Mr Bungle and John Zorn.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-01-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tori Amos, the only album of hers I STILL LOVE is "Little Earthquakes."

It's a concept album that is decidedly female, every single aspect of it is gut-wrenching read-my-diary stuff.

Like "Winter" makes me cry EVERY.FUCKING.TIME I hear it.

Katy Perry is hilarious.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-01-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I was a fucking HUGE Tori fan from 1998-2002. Can't really listen to her these days, but there are some songs from Boys For Pele and Under The Pink that I still enjoy.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I cannot, for the life of me, understand what the big deal is surrounding that LCD Sound System band. They have got to be the most overrated, overglorified, downright shit band I've heard in the past decade.

Listened to their newest album three times, and can't understand even a modicum of the hype surrounding it. It sounds like Bono wailing/speak-singing over the most rudimentary New Order knock-off instrumentals he could find. Some of the tracks -- Other Voices, Call The Cops, Emotional Haircut -- made me want to jump out of a window, they were so annoying.

I remember when they revealed the album cover for American Dreams and wondering if the music was going to be as bland as the cover suggested. Sure enough..