Page 123 of 191 FirstFirst ... 23 73 113 121 122 123 124 125 133 173 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,690 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Cellphones in the hands of idiots at concerts definitely aren't helping things get going, that's for sure.

It's almost surreal now to see footage of old shows where there WASN'T a single goddamned cellphone jockeying for position in sight and EVERYONE up front was just LOSING THEIR FUCKING MINDS instead.

Cue also the disposable nature of music in the era of downloads, etc.

:-\

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Spin Doctors make me think of frat dudes eating pizza in a dorm room, circa 1992.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    When was the last time any record changed the cultural landscape?

...Oh well, whatever, Nevermind...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Google "Sheryl Crow Kevin Gilbert" and your hatred may be justified.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Ten nineties songs I will never fucking like no matter how much fucking time passes. Enjoy this horrible trip down memory lane.

1) Aqua - I'm A Barbie Girl
    2) Ricky Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca
    3) Lou Bega - Mambo No. 5
    4) Len - Steal My Sunshine
    5) Ace Of Base - All That She Wants
    6) Smash Mouth - All Star
    7) The Cranberries - Zombie
    8) Sugar Ray - Every Morning
    9) Blues Traveler - Run-around
    10) Hootie And The Blowfish - Only Want To Be With You
    Well, the Spin Doctors for one... For some reason I actually sorta like the Cranberries song Zombie, although I really can't say I like the band or anything else I've ever heard from them. Maybe it's the production, which is where I geek out on stuff... so there's my contribution to the controversial music opinion thing.

But... The Spice Girls "Wannabe" was really some horrifying shit. "The Macarena" was audio poison. I can't hear the Crash Test Dummies song "MMM Mmm Mmm" without blacking out and waking up in a hospital. Lisa Loeb's song "Stay" makes me feel triggered. Shawn Mullins "Lulliby" sounds like it was written on a dare to make "the most offensively disingenuous bullshit cookie-cutter song ever" by someone with a gun to their head. LFO should be sued for writing "Summer Girls." Every song Creed made was more or less traumatizing. As I recall I think, anyone who actually liked the song "Breakfast at Tiffanies" by Deep Blue Something is an asshole. The first time I heard The Verve Pipe song "Freshmen" I felt like my ears were being rinsed out with piss. The Green Day song "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" felt like it was pitched to be the background music at the sentimental farewell party for the shittiest people you went to high school with. If there was a time machine, and I could only use it one time, I would go back in time and stop Savage Garden from releasing "Truly Madly Deeply." "I'll be Missing You" by Puff Daddy cemented the shitty trend towards repackaging a classic song as your own, and it's even worse and more unforgivable for being sold as a cynical cash-in tribute to a dead friend. That fucking, fucking, FUCKING "What's Up?" song by 4 Non Blondes. That theme song from Friends. Bob Carlisle's "Butterfly Kisses" was insufferable bullshit, and you don't even need to hear a song with a title like that to know that it's evil.

Then there's the stuff from the old guard, sputtering out in the lamest way at the earlier days of the 90s. Bon Jovi's "Bed of Roses" is the silliest love song ever written... it's the mood music to throw on in the background if you want to be absolutely certain that you're not going to get laid. "With an iron-clad fist, I wake up and french kiss the morning." That's an actual lyric in there. Same goes for the Bryan Adams song "Have you ever really, really really really, really really really really really really really really reallllllllllly loved a woman." There's a lyric in that simpering shit-pile of a song that goes:

"You've gotta breathe her, really taste her
    Til' you can feel her in your blood
    And when you can see your unborn children in her eyes
    You know you really love a woman"

I don't think the concept of "love" has ever been more effectively spoofed.

Aaaaaand... for what would probably be a more "controversial music opinion," the R.E.M. song "Everybody Hurts" is maudlin and hysterically melodramatic bullshit. I actually really like the band, so it's even shittier that one of their most popular songs is the musical equivalent of The Day the Clown Cried, but unfortunately R.E.M. didn't have the foresight to do their best to destroy it and ensure that it never reached the public's ears.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    @Jinsai I agree with everything you said, everything you mentioned except R.E.M. I love R.E.M. I prefer their mid to late 80's stuff. The sentimental ballad by any artist is tough to swallow but if you were going to go after an R.E.M. song, wouldn't you have to go after "Shiny Happy People"?
    For some reason, Shiny Happy People just felt like the music that would be playing during an ad for Target or Walmart something. It was just so completely nothing that it feels more like a jingle than a song.

I can take sentimental ballads, I like a lot of them... the Beatles and Pink Floyd were masters of the sentimental ballad... but it's tricky territory. You really have to walk a line there, and R.E.M. sprinted full-speed into the laughably dramatic field there. I like R.E.M. to the point where I actually tried for a while to convince myself that the song wasn't ludicrous. I pretty much failed there, and then subsequently realized it was probably one of the worst things I'd ever heard. If i can't desperately force myself (through mental gymnastics and constant second guessing) to tell myself that something "isn't that bad," it's gotta be bad in a way that I can't even process.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I never paid much attention to that song (Everybody Hurts), now I'm on a mission to find out what sucks about it, is it the lyrics? Ballad stuff I usually put on the pay no mind list.
    It just feels like some platitude-loaded barrage of empty sympathetic consolation that I'm not asking for. It's like that idiot friend who tries to give you a hug and whisper dramatically in your ear to "let it all out" while you're sad because your dog died. I have some bouts with depression, so when I'm having a hard time with it, and that song comes on, it feels like some sappy dickhead is mocking how I feel. And the final major "so hold on" shift at the end? Oh fuck. Stop telling me to hang in there. The most effective sad songs out there aren't pep talks from the PE coach, who wants you to turn your frown upside down. There's just something monumentally pretentious about that song being a huge thing, echoing around in a grocery store while I'm buying my Pringles.

And like many sad ballads, musically it's pretty sparse, so all you really have here is a basic arrangement and the lyrically hamfisted vocals hitting the "point" on the nose with a jackhammer. Yes, I get it Michael Stipe, you're the patron saint of the down trodden and sad and lonely people out there, but stow your consolation right up your ass. It's the Hallmark "feel better!" card of songs.

But I still love R.E.M.
    I forgive them for writing that song.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-02-2016 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Music is a lot like fashion, it goes in cycles, rock music will come back it just won't be called rock music. To clarify, the rock music I'm talking about coming back is the alternative music of the 80's and the 90's, not hair metal, or something along those lines.
    It will have another label slapped on it, a new word of the day label but the same three chords. Hopefully somebody will take things in a new direction, new sounds, bitter lyrics, same three chords LOL
    My own hope is that we never get away from people actually playing music on guitar, bass, drums, piano and keyboards, saxophone, trumpet, violin, etc, etc. It doesn't have to be rock, but just the feeling that a collective is developing a sound. One preferably that is their own, or more likely that combines their influences in a unique way.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    I'd rather have a song say, hope is a fool's errand, eat the fucking bullet. A harsh reality for me is more appreciated in music especially if there is a chance it might offend somebody, but that is just me.
    It's more comforting for people who are actually dealing with depression for sure. Mindless appeals to sadness are obnoxious at best. I think people who are trying to drag themselves through something really depressing tend to get cheered up by things that seem like genuine solidarity... Not by lectures on how everything gets better. If you're depressed, you don't need someone telling you "everybody cries."
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-02-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Agreed 100% on disliking "Everybody Hurts". I'd take "Shiny Happy People" over that song any day of the week. In fact, I've never really liked anything from Automatic for the People at all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I like R.E.M. Some of their songs are overplayed, but they never bothered me. "Everybody Hurts" is a bit melodramatic, but pretty much everyone can relate to it.

Would have been funnier if the song was called "Everybody poops."

Looks like someone actually thought of that.

Last edited by GulDukat; 07-02-2016 at 04:34 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Honestly, it's always kind of a dealbreaker when some girl I'm fucking totally ISN'T down with possible abortions down the line, if it comes to that. I mean, WTF. At least let me pay for the morning after pill? My pleasure! C'mon, boo...throw me a bone in kind, ffs. So to speak, lol. Thank HOLY FUCK it's never come down to that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we're ALL on the same page there.

WHATEVER. I digress.

A gay pal of mine who crushed on Stipe REALLY hard, long dead, once introduced me to this performance of "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" and I can only HOPE that everyone already knows the backstory of the song, lolwtf. It's a super-sexy performance and badass and hails from the Rieflin-era, so hopefully a few of you NIN-nerds will appreciate it despite my shitty intro, lol. Man, it's really awesome! Give it a shot, plz.

If nothing else, Stipe drops an F-Bomb on TV.

\m/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow I had to login just to say how truly awful you are. Your morals and character are completely fucked. Please think about the things you write before you post them all over the Internet. As a parent, it frightens me to think there are people like you in this world. I'm sorry for being negative but you need help.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we're ALL on the same page there.

holyshitnope.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I like R.E.M. Some of their songs are overplayed, but they never bothered me. "Everybody Hurts" is a bit melodramatic, but pretty much everyone can relate to it.

Would have been funnier if the song was called "Everybody poops."

Looks like someone actually thought of that.

I adore Lacuna Coil's cover of "Losing My Religion"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post

holyshitnope.
    He's obviously very immature and using the buzz words he picked up from the Manson/Slipknot lyric sheets. Going through with a actual abortion is a lot harder than throwing out words. Grow up dude. I've seen many people trash you on this board but lately you've really pushed the limits.
    Last edited by rampface; 07-02-2016 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    He's obviously very immature and using the buzz words he picked up from the Manson/Slipknot lyric sheets. Going through with a actual abortion is a lot harder than throwing out words. Grow up dude. I've seen many people trash you on this board but lately you've really pushed the limits.
    I've literally manned-up and taken not one but TWO ex-gfs to abortion apointments THEY SCHEDULED when they've come reaching out to me because they knew I was the ONE guy they could count on to be there for them, so you can gfy just like everyone else you've seen shit on me without merit. And AGAIN those were EXES I might just as well have told to go fuck themselves except I'm NOT that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    Wow I had to login just to say how truly awful you are. Your morals and character are completely fucked. Please think about the things you write before you post them all over the Internet. As a parent, it frightens me to think there are people like you in this world. I'm sorry for being negative but you need help.
    Yeah, I'm QUITE the scumbag (pardon the phrase) for eschewing impregnating women I'm not prepared to blithely impregnate, I can TOTALLY see how I'M the one who "needs help" here and and not, oh, I don't know...YOU.

Tell me more about my morals based on a post I made about a goddamned R.E.M. song, plz.

JMFC, man. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PARENTHOOD and everything but shitting on someone ELSE for NOT foisting yet another hungry mouth upon an ALREADY overpopulated world?!?

You kids have fun with that.

holyshitnope.
    Sooo...you're actually ENDORSING my unprepared, unfinanced procreation?!?

Seems kinda counterproductive.

So to speak?

o_O

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I've literally manned-up and taken not one but TWO ex-gfs to abortion apointments THEY SCHEDULED when they've come reaching out to me because they knew I was the ONE guy they could count on to be there for them, so you can gfy just like everyone else you've seen shit on me without merit. And AGAIN those were EXES I might just as well have told to go fuck themselves except I'm NOT that guy.

Yeah, I'm QUITE the scumbag (pardon the phrase) for eschewing impregnating women I'm not prepared to blithely impregnate, I can TOTALLY see how I'M the one who "needs help" here and and not, oh, I don't know...YOU.

Tell me more about my morals based on a post I made about a goddamned R.E.M. song, plz.

JMFC, man. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PARENTHOOD and everything but shitting on someone ELSE for NOT foisting yet another hungry mouth upon an ALREADY overpopulated world?!?

You kids have fun with that.

So to speak?

o_O
    I'm not a mod, but what does this have to do with "controversial music opinions"?

Let's all try to get along.

Stone Temple Pilots were massively underrated while Pavement were overrated.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)

So to speak?

o_O
    As much as I don't appreciate people lashing out on you for what amounts to lifestyle and attitude disagreements, I really don't give a fuck about whether you procreate, willingly or not.

But expecting someone to go through a physically and psychologically taxing (at best) abortive procedure for you ? Yeah, I disagree on that. Get a condom, get three, fuck in a HAZMAT suit, just fucking wank it off.
    I know it's a touchy subject, and quite debatable to some, but that's my position on the topic.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'm not a mod, but what does this have to do with "controversial music opinions"?

Let's all try to get along.

Stone Temple Pilots were massively underrated while Pavement were overrated.
    OMFG, ikr?

Apparently h8ters lashing out against non-breeders suddenly makes sense?

I don't get it either.

I mean, I understand that abortion is a sensitive issue and I sincerely apologize for raising it here but wtf.

I maintain a LIFELONG history of PRO-CHOICE activism.

As much as I don't appreciate people lashing out on you for what amounts to lifestyle and attitude disagreements, I really don't give a fuck about whether you procreate, willingly or not.

But expecting someone to go through a physically and psychologically taxing (at best) abortive procedure for you ? Yeah, I disagree on that. Get a condom, get three, fuck in a HAZMAT suit, just fucking wank it off.
    I know it's a touchy subject, and quite debatable to some, but that's my position on the topic.
    Well, FIRST OF ALL, many, MANY thanks for that!

But you OBVIOUSLY DO NOT understand the finer points of heterosexual relations relative to potential procreation and the the points I'd already discussed. I do not simply "expect" someone to go through a physically and phsycologically taxing (at best) abortive procedudre"...FOR ME. I expect them to AT LEAST meet me halfway and potentially DO IT FOR US when we engage in fornication and to honor the agreement we both made when we both insisted I wear a condom (9 time out of 10 coated in spermicide on top of birth control) so impregnation would ABSOLUTELY NOT become a factor and neither of us would become suddenly, inconveniently saddled with the burden of parenthood, or, in my OWN case, 18 years of child support.

Is that SO crazy? Apologies if I sound indelicate, but I can't HELP but take this shit SERIOUSLY.

I have absolutely ZERO intention of impregnating ANY of my partners, past, present, or future, and IN FACT have actively engaged myself in discussions AND behavior to assist in forestalling against such misbehavior.

As I joked earlier, SURELY that CANNOT be such an offensive practice HERE, of ALL places, where I'm hated upon so freely, lol.

Rest assured, I am doing ALL I CAN.

Last edited by Hazekiah; 07-02-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Well then... *snip* *snip*

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ^ HAHAHA, I don't know about ALL THAT just yet...but WELL SAID, lol.

XD

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    All hope is lost. Fuck this forum. I'm out. This is depressing.