Page 101 of 191 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I really like "The Happy Mondays", but they are also overrated (except "Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches", that album is flawless...), maybe it's right, the whole "Madchester movement" altogether was overhyped, but that doesn't mean that it was bad...
    I liked some Suede songs and i think "Screamadelica" by Primal Scream was a good album (but again: overhyped), oddly i'm a bigger fan of the "Britpop" movement from the 90's, they did take all the good ideas from Madchester and gave it a more mainstream appeal.
    From all the Madchester bands i like James the most, oddly they became something more "U2-ish" and only the first albums are truly "Madchester".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1. Bob Dylan sucks
    2. Peter Gabriel sucks
    3. I used to pretend when I was younger that The Pixies were cool, but I never really thought so. Couple of good songs but possibly the most overrated band in modern music history.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icecream View Post
    ***hugs***
    Awesome! I love hugs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can not stand Johnny Cash.
    Metallica isn't very good.
    Beatles are boring.
    Most of David Bowie's music is super boring.
    Iron Maiden isn't too exciting either.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by princess View Post

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Beatles are boring.
    Looks like you've decided to jump right in the middle of the fray from the start !

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Beatles are boring.
    10/10 second post I agree except all of Metallicas music is an auditory abortion.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't like Kill em All because it lacks any subtlety, but I love all their subsequent albums up to And Justice For All, because it was music with lots of time changes, and little moments that made the music more interesting (example, I love the weird intro to Blackened) - they even put some funk into leper messiah for example. The black album was a bit too polished for the radio although I love sad but true, wherever I may roam and one or two others, it was very safe. I lost touch with them after that

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    10/10 second post I agree except all of Metallicas music is an auditory abortion.
    i agree with most of it, but i find it weird that you think david bowie's music is boring. i love bowie (more than just his singles) and think that even his not-so-good albums are still interesting musically. he was constantly pushing forward and doing things no one else had really done, and for that you have to admire him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I really like "The Happy Mondays", but they are also overrated (except "Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches", that album is flawless...), maybe it's right, the whole "Madchester movement" altogether was overhyped, but that doesn't mean that it was bad...
    I liked some Suede songs and i think "Screamadelica" by Primal Scream was a good album (but again: overhyped), oddly i'm a bigger fan of the "Britpop" movement from the 90's, they did take all the good ideas from Madchester and gave it a more mainstream appeal.
    From all the Madchester bands i like James the most, oddly they became something more "U2-ish" and only the first albums are truly "Madchester".
    Agreed on britpop - I've heard "die in the summertime" by manic street preachers described as "weaponised baggy", which is beyond perfect as a description

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i agree with most of it, but i find it weird that you think david bowie's music is boring. i love bowie (more than just his singles) and think that even his not-so-good albums are still interesting musically. he was constantly pushing forward and doing things no one else had really done, and for that you have to admire him.
    I don't hate Bowie by any means, I just don't love him.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Agreed on britpop - I've heard "die in the summertime" by manic street preachers described as "weaponised baggy", which is beyond perfect as a description
    Oh man that sounded like a "Spinal Tap" kind of-review of their albums, lol...

I think "The Holy bible" by the Preachers is a perfect example of how a good album gets overhyped by the media (NME), they have good songs but that's it, no "new Beatles"...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    The Manics are on the whole a good/average rock band.
    But they hit the jackpot with The Holy Bible: definitely up there in the 100 greatest rock albums of all time.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, i'm in the camp that likes the manics just fine, but only really LOVES the holy bible from front to back. they tapped into something special for that record.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Same here, I like most of their albums ok but 100% on the hype wagon for holy bible, it's totally a cut above the rest

did i mention I saw it performed start to finish a couple months ago? Might have mentioned it about nine million times

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    they're bringing that show to NYC. can't wait!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    80's polka dot Scottish pop duo Strawberry Switchbalde are great and their one and only album is a jewel. Goodnight!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Stone Roses are very overrated...

Outside that they have nothing, only guy that is interesting is Ian Brown (whose solo career is actually more interesting than his stuff with SR)
    Mani the bassist left the Stone Roses and joined Primal Scream in 1996, when he joined Primal Scream he revived their career and they became the best band in Britain and arguably one of the best rock bands on the planet. They went on to go make exhilarating speed fuelled experimental Industrial, Punk, Garage Rock N Roll music mixed with dub and electronica.
    Vanishing Point, Xtrmntr, Evil Heat, all feature Mani and are just fucking awesome.
    Ian Browns stuff i like too he released some great simgles. but in my view it sounds very conservative compared to what Mani did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Beatles are boring.
    1, 2, 3 & 5 = Agree, AGREE!, AGREE & Agree! Hey, wanna get married or something?

4 = DISAGREE VEHEMENTLY! You're the worst person on the internet!!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Mani the bassist left the Stone Roses and joined Primal Scream in 1996, when he joined Primal Scream he revived their career and they became the best band in Britain and arguably one of the best rock bands on the planet. They went on to go make exhilarating speed fuelled experimental Industrial, Punk, Garage Rock N Roll music mixed with dub and electronica.
    Vanishing Point, Xtrmntr, Evil Heat, all feature Mani and are just fucking awesome.
    Ian Browns stuff i like too he released some great simgles. but in my view it sounds very conservative compared to what Mani did
    I always thought Primal Scream was Bobby's project, but yeah, i forgot about Mani, he's mentioned too in "24 hour party people" (one of my favorite movies) as one influential guy...
    From Primal Scream i own "Screamadelica" and "Evil Heat", can't get into the newer stuff and just barely know the first two albums...
    Ian has awesome solo stuff like "Golden Greats" and "Music of the Spheres", it's a bit more conservative yes, but has more edge than his stuff with the Roses, sounds more mature too...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i LOVE this song, even though it's just a darklands-era JAMC song, which you know...makes sense.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by camille View Post
    80's polka dot scottish pop duo strawberry switchbalde are great and their one and only album is a jewel. Goodnight!
    they are wonderful.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    From Primal Scream i own "Screamadelica" and "Evil Heat", can't get into the newer stuff and just barely know the first two albums....
    I highly recommend listening to XTRMNTR and Vanishing Point. Along with Evil Heat, those form this unreal trilogy. Brilliant brilliant brilliant stuff.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I highly recommend listening to XTRMNTR and Vanishing Point. Along with Evil Heat, those form this unreal trilogy. Brilliant brilliant brilliant stuff.
    I will, thanks for the recommendation...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if this is controversial but.... I think Dire Straits are among one of the most overrated bands in Britain. I think they're fucking boring.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is controversial but.... I think Dire Straits are among one of the most overrated bands in Britain. I think they're fucking boring.
    Not that controversial, i'm a huge fan actually, but i can understand if someone dislikes them, they have many slow songs and their lyrics are dumb at times but far from hating them i like them because of that, i would say they fall in the "Adult contemporary" kind of category and it's not like you are forced to like them.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    They have a few good songs like "So Far Away" as I do like Mark Knopfler's guitar work. I just don't understand why they're so lauded as I was happy when Simon Pegg and Nick Frost threw one of their albums at the zombies.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Actually i was thinking of that very moment from "Shaun of the Dead", i think it describes the band perfectly, almost everyone has heard Dire Straits but no one would save their albums in the apocalypse, lol
    Knopfler is a virtuoso but just like one, he can be obnoxious and overdo stuff, that's why i understand if someone doesn't like them, it's like Jazz musicians, you can either admire them or hate them but there's almost no middle ground...

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Always liked about Knopfler that he seemed like a genuine guy that was in it for the music and hadn't to pull stunts like Phil Collins did with the concorde, for example. I think their music - Brothers In Arms especially - got so overhyped by the radio and music outlets that the backlash the music's witnessing now is a reaction to it.

BUT listen to Love Over Gold, which in my opinion is their finest work as an album. It's basically what The War On Drugs are doing now... with even better guitar work. And the music's dark and brooding.

Also, don't forget that Rock'n'Roll was a huge influence on them, which explains their direction - in opposite to bands like Joy Division or The Cure, who came out at the same time.
    Last edited by r_z; 02-28-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    BUT listen to Love Over Gold, which in my opinion is their finest work as an album. It's basically what The War On Drugs are doing now... with even better guitar work. And the music's dark and brooding.
    Ah, so it's not just me. Listening to The War on Drugs, I thought I was hearing just as much Mark Knopfler as Dylan or Springsteen.