Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zoo Station cover

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Just got my CD in the mail today. (Ordered through the U2.com store.) I like it. Definitely mellow, but a fun, pleasant listen. And maybe I just missed hearing Trent's (lead) vocals, but I thought it was worth it just for that. I've always felt like artists have a little more "fun" doing vocals on covers.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I like the cover, but it's not exactly something I'm going to listen to much (like pretty much every other NIN cover)

Reminds me a lot of TV on the Radio's style - wouldn't mind if TR went back to this style with original content.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    ...maybe I just missed hearing Trent's (lead) vocals, but I thought it was worth it just for that.
    I agree. As far as the song itself, it's an interesting cover of a pretty uninteresting song. Zoo Station could easily have been a 'straight' cover by most bands, but Trent made it seem like something that fits the (at the very least neo-) NIN style.

It's also good to know that 'nine inch nails' still is 'active'.... I mean Trent said it was... but Trent has said ​a lot of things...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danebraddy View Post
    I agree. As far as the song itself, it's an interesting cover of a pretty uninteresting song. Zoo Station could easily have been a 'straight' cover by most bands, but Trent made it seem like something that fits the (at the very least neo-) NIN style.

It's also good to know that 'nine inch nails' still is 'active'.... I mean Trent said it was... but Trent has said ​a lot of things...
    +1 to both. If Trent had gone with a straight cover, he would've taken a song that sounds like NIN and made it more like NIN. And we already have Suck.
    I don't think NIN is dead, but I think it's less alive than we were expecting, most likely because of TGWTDT OST pushing everything back.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I was expecting more. At least with the drums. I hope some new NIN sounds like where he was going with Tetsuo.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    the song is a boring steaming pile of turds. its totally phoned in. probably took about 2 hours to complete from start to finish.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    hm, I actually quite liked it. it took a bit to grow on me, just because the original song is already pretty NIN-ish (come on, its even got a "hands and knees" lyric), so I think I was expecting something a bit more obvious.

that said, I appreciate the amount of U2 now in Reznor's arsenal: Saul Williams, that excellent Vertigo remix he did years ago, and now this

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    hm, I actually quite liked it. it took a bit to grow on me, just because the original song is already pretty NIN-ish (come on, its even got a "hands and knees" lyric), so I think I was expecting something a bit more obvious.

that said, I appreciate the amount of U2 now in Reznor's arsenal: Saul Williams, that excellent Vertigo remix he did years ago, and now this
    Trent sure loves his hands and knees!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Very understated and chill. I like the surreal drone the song embraces. The second verse, with Trent vocals becoming a bit stronger, is the songs highlight. However, the lenghty two min fade, while being hypnotic, is overlong and doesn't leave much of an impact. Plus, the chorus delivery is pretty underwhelming. Song gets a B- in my book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trent's always been a big of shoegaze music. Yet, I find that while it's informed a lot of NIN especially from the Fragile forward, he's never gone all out shoegaze at any particular moment. For good reason. It's probably better served as an influence within NIN rather than a complete stylistic shift.

This cover allows him to dive in, and being a huge fan of shoegaze I love it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    i had really high hopes, but i prefer the original more. i do however really enjoy the length

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I kind of read it as a mission-statement on NIN going forward, just like the original was for U2. Though it's sort of weird to hear Reznor sing that low ("with your face pressed up against the glass") in the context of Nine Inch Nails... I guess his voice really is getting deeper with age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    can anyone give me a legit list of covers NIN has played live or recored... any one??

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcano View Post
    can anyone give me a legit list of covers NIN has played live or recored... any one??
    There's a full list on ninwiki, but the site seems to be having some issues atm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    I can't say that I dislike it, I just don't enjoy it that much. I was expecting something different perhaps.
    Took the words out of my mouth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I must say, when I heard it was Nine Inch Nails cover, I was pretty excited. The fact that it wasn't a Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross or HTDA, but labeled Nine Inch Nails, really had me stoked. I like U2, not a fanatic, but I've owned a few CDs in the day, including Achtung Baby, and Zoo Station was one of my favorites off the CD. I was just imagining how Trent Reznor was going to do the beginning of the song, which frankly, is the best part for me. I listened to original several times and decided this song gets kinda boring after about 2 and half minutes in, I can't wait to see how Trent fixes this. Well, when I finally heard the cover on Youtube, I was shocked to the sound. My favorite part, the intro of the original, was skipped and the song was way longer and slower. I listened to it again and again, and decided this song is eh, nothing to get excited, it will probably be forgotten in about month. After while, it started to grow on me, but it's more a chill song.

I just kinda wish that it would have been labeled Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, eventhough I know it's pretty much the same thing, my intial response would have probably thought chill song. Now that there are 3 entities, I hope they will be more clearly defined...

for example...

Nine Inch Nails = aggressive
    How to Destory Angels = rhythmly (probably not a word)
    Trent Reznor and Atticus = abstract/chill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, when I first heard the original U2 track, I got very excited with the possibilities of what NIN would do. I was initially very underwhelmed by the end result, pretty one note for 90% of the song but like many others, it really grew on me and find myself listening to it quite extensively now. Of course, it's not A-list NIN but it's not bad at all.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
    Nine Inch Nails = aggressive
    Disagreed. Nailing down (no pun intended) Nine Inch Nails as simply aggressive isn't accurate, especially since there's more to it than aggression, both in terms of the lyrics and the actual music. There's nothing about this song that ISN'T Nine Inch Nails in my opinion, and I'm sure Trent would agree. I mean, why else would he credit it under that name, especially when he's been talking for a few years about doing music under other names?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its cool an all - but stand out track on the album is Garbage's "Whos gonna ride..."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post
    its cool an all - but stand out track on the album is Garbage's "Whos gonna ride..."
    Which JMJ played on!
    Last edited by botley; 12-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossva View Post
    agreed. i like Damien Rice's take on 'One' too.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I love this cover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought I was the only one who was expecting more from this cover.
    I'm not saying I don't like it, but it sounds like they made it in a lunch break.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Q: Hey Trent, want to be on a U2 covers album for our magazine?

TR: FUCK NO

Q: C'mon, we'll let you pick any Achtung Baby song you want

TR: Fuck you

Q: Jack White's gonna be oooon iiiit

TR: Now you're just making me mad

Q: Think of the exposure! it will get you

TR: My fans will hate me

Q: Did we mention we'll pay you handsomely

TR: FINE I'LL DO IT

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
    Q: Hey Trent, want to be on a U2 covers album for our magazine?

TR: FUCK NO

Q: C'mon, we'll let you pick any Achtung Baby song you want

TR: Fuck you

Q: Jack White's gonna be oooon iiiit

TR: Now you're just making me mad

Q: Think of the exposure! it will get you

TR: My fans will hate me

Q: Did we mention we'll pay you handsomely I seem to remember something about Puff Daddy...

TR: FINE I'LL DO IT
    fixed for ya

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    You guys are weirdos. Trent likes pop music. He paid to see an *NSYNC concert in New Orleans. He was in pop cover bands for years pre-NIN. Achtung Baby was one of the biggest pop albums of its day. TR and Bono hang out in public. Get over yourselves.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i love the original and was let down with the cover. the most tangible issue i have with it is the percussion. the drums on the original track are huge, powerful, and very much a product of the band looking to 'industrial' music for inspiration. what we get on the NIN version is a rather wimpy drum machine that doesn't deviate from the pattern for the duration. the best part of u2's original (and the majority of their work, love it or hate it) is the big chorus. also not present on the cover here.

i found the depeche mode cover disappointing too, for the same reasons...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    fixed for ya
    That Victory remix was great.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Which JMJ played on!
    whoa, cool -- missed that!
    that said, the obvious winner here was Jack White's cover of Love is Blindness... I can't even hear the original song anymore cause White's is SO GOOD