Thread: Linkin Park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Seriously. It's really hard for me to be empathetic in situations like this, because I just can't imagine in ANY way what's going on with these people. I can't wrap my head around it. Leaving six kids behind? I can't help but get angry about this. It seems just so wrong and selfish to me. Is everybody who kills themself automatically mentally ill and therefore can't be blamed?

I don't want to offend anybody, I'm sincerely just always confused about this.
    Would it help if we could compare it to something physically painful like diabetes or crohn's or cancer? He wasn't selfish. He was unable to beat this because it's more than willpower and life circumstances. I've been there. My mom succeeded when I was 19. I've been over this for 25 years. Sometimes our medicine and therapy just can't beat this. We don't say of those who stop treatment of cancer after so long that they were selfish. This is a lot like that. If you don't know, I would urge you to look into it the way I had to. Calling us selfish or cowardly is really unhelpful.

Let me be perfectly clear: it isn't a moral issue. Neither brave nor cowardly. It's just an illness that makes your brain malfunction to such a degree that you take your life. The entire premise that any disease is due to moral failing is so deeply rooted in our culture that I know it's hard to step away from it. It's even more intense when it comes to suicide. I'd like to live in a world where all illness is seen for what it is, including the ones in the brain that we don't understand very well.
    Last edited by mostlymad; 07-21-2017 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mostlymad View Post
    Would it help if we could compare it to something physically painful like diabetes or crohn's or cancer? He wasn't selfish. He was unable to beat this because it's more than willpower and life circumstances. I've been there. My mom succeeded when I was 19. I've been over this for 25 years. Sometimes our medicine and therapy just can't beat this. We don't say of those who stop treatment of cancer after so long that they were selfish. This is a lot like that. If you don't know, I would urge you to look into it the way I had to. Calling us selfish or cowardly is really unhelpful.
    Thank you. People need to stop calling suicide selfish. It's not. It's impossible for those who have never truly experienced depression to comprehend why someone makes that choice. And it's okay to not understand. But don't blame people who are victims of depression, something which they have no control over.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks for your input guys. I honestly didn't want to offend anyone. Or deny anyone of their very real and existing problems. So your posts are appreciated.

I've never known someone nor experienced anything like this myself, that's why these news always leave me so confused. I just can't imagine what people are going through. I just see the aftermaths of suicide and feel helpless. I realize that this wasn't the best way to express my very inexperienced feelings on this. But I think it's only through a dialog like this that I can try to understand what's going on.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by niggo View Post
    Thanks for your input guys. I honestly didn't want to offend anyone. Or deny anyone of their very real and existing problems. So your posts are appreciated.

I've never known someone nor experienced anything like this myself, that's why these news always leave me so confused. I just can't imagine what people are going through. I just see the aftermaths of suicide and feel helpless. I realize that this wasn't the best way to express my very inexperienced feelings on this. But I think it's only through a dialog like this that I can try to understand what's going on.
    I think confused and helpless is an appropriate way to feel in this type of situation. It's a shitty situation no matter how you look at it. All you can do is do your best to understand that when you're going through those things, it truly feels like there is no other way out.

Honestly, I'm truly happy for people who can't understand why someone would commit suicide, because it means they've never experienced those feelings themselves. I would never wish that experience on anyone.