Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundgarden

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is really fucked. He seemed on form and to have everything going for him.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Evidently the last song of the set was a Led Zeppelin cover of "In My Time of Dying" and that comes off pretty surreal.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This article by a person that was at the final show says Cornell was acting pretty strange and said some weird shit. Glad I got to see him a few times solo and twice when they toured with NIN. Hell of a musician.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...den/330051001/

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Down on the Upside was the album that brought me in. I had already heard Black Hole Sun, but didn't know much else about them. The second I heard Pretty Noose and Blow Up The Outside World , they had me.
    DOTU is, and likely always will be, my favorite thing that man put his voice to. Superunknown, Badmotorfinger and even LTL are absolute monsters, but DOTU will always be their artistic highpoint for me. That album is all sorts of strange and there's nothing else like it, even within their own discography..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I contemplated going to the show last night, but thought tickets were too expensive (~$100). Now I'm wondering if I should've been there. Also thinking it just might have been too fucked up to experience. Not even sure how to process this? Chris definitely seemed like he had conquered all of his demons, but depression never really goes away. Today feels like a bad dream.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm speechless. He was the last guy I would think would do something like this but if he was in depression. Fuck. That shit can kill you. Believe me, I went through depression years ago and it can fuck you up. This is fucked up. I have no idea what to think about this.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    This article by a person that was at the final show says Cornell was acting pretty strange and said some weird shit. Glad I got to see him a few times solo and twice when they toured with NIN. Hell of a musician.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertain...den/330051001/
    I watched about 20 seconds of the video and shut it off. A huge loss that's hard to process.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I have soundgarden on a shuffled playlist going on, and "Pretty Noose" came on. I had to change the track.
    Meanwhile, May 18, 1980 was the date Ian Curtis hanged himself and the final lyric he wrote was "hangman looks round as he waits, cord stretches tight then it breaks, someday we will die in your dreams, how I wish we were here with you now" from In A Lonely Place. Very interesting/eerie parallel.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I wasn't a big Soundgarden fan but I feel incredibly privileged to have seen them play before NIN back in 2014. Chris Cornell impressed the hell out of me with how much he put into the performance and he was 50 at the time. He had a legit voice. That was a cool tour. It sucks that nearly all of the leaders of the major Grunge bands have died. RIP.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So stunned. Looking back over some of his lyrics, the dark ones are darker than ever. Can't fucking believe it.
    Last edited by piggy; 05-19-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I heard Soundgarden needs a new lead singer. Where do I sign up?

Just kidding.

Over the years I have read about Chris Cornell's depressions, and this news while somewhat shocking, wasn't a complete surprise. It's a chemical imbalance and a disorder... You have to make the choice to be strong and reprogram your system. The irony? is that it is difficult to consciously do that when you are so clouded in darkness, and if you don't believe it or know about it.

Part of me feels relief for him and his loved ones. I feel like there was always this tension in his circle of like... what if he does it... always this background worry...now he can be at peace.. I wish he could have found peace in a positive way (remained alive and fought through to mental health/chemical balance)... everyone can be at peace now though...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Picked this up during the great NIN/SG 2014 tour. It's on the list to be properly framed shortly, and I will now cherish it even more than I already do.

What a truly saddening event. All the love & adoration we had for him could not help what was happening inside. I am utterly heartbroken.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    I heard Soundgarden needs a new lead singer. Where do I sign up?

Just kidding.

Over the years I have read about Chris Cornell's depressions, and this news while somewhat shocking, wasn't a complete surprise. It's a chemical imbalance and a disorder... You have to make the choice to be strong and reprogram your system. The irony? is that it is difficult to consciously do that when you are so clouded in darkness, and if you don't believe it or know about it.

Part of me feels relief for him and his loved ones. I feel like there was always this tension in his circle of like... what if he does it... always this background worry...now he can be at peace.. I wish he could have found peace in a positive way (remained alive and fought through to mental health/chemical balance)... everyone can be at peace now though...
    it's a truly difficult subject,

i'm not too sure if what you wrote is maybe a misuse of a few words, or maybe i've read it the wrong way?

to live with the nagging suicidal thoughts and feelings, and that the only answer is the one to remove yourself from the problem. i'd say from my own experience the "being strong" aspect can have such a tiring effect upon yourself. if you have chronic suicidal thinking, suggestive thoughts you can't really get any escape, sadly there's no medication or therapy to stop these things inside a sufferers head.

(i've had 4 failed attempts, and on some of the best meds, and been in constant therapy for 10+ years. and i can honestly say i have suicidal thoughts each day, of varying degrees!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    What weirds me out most about this is that "Like Suicide" has always been my favoritest Soundgarden song of all time; I was immediately drawn to that main guitar riff that just seemed to echo into infinity and perfectly embodied the emotions of the song, and was fascinated by the story of the dying bird in his garden that inspired the whole thing. When I heard that amazing acoustic rendition of it on the S.F.W. soundtrack from late-'94, I knew it was something I was going to be listening to for the rest of my life.

And now it takes on a completely new and haunting reality for me..

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tighter & Tighter is probably my favorite song...but now i cry everytime i listen to it...but at the same time...i cant stop listening to it.

Goddamn im still trying to process this.

Sleep tight Chris.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The case for Superunknown being the best grunge album ever:

http://www.newsweek.com/chris-cornel...um-ever-612008

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    This cannot possibly be happening, I just can't process this

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Seconded. This is still unreal to me. He was my Prince\Bowie\whatever and taken way too soon. I think that's why I'm having difficulty understanding it, on tour, still apparently in good health. Mentally was apparently a different story, just unreal and sad that he couldn't get the help he needed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    The reality is just starting to sink in.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Another horrible reminder that even the best of us can be taken by this illness. RIP, i wish the best to his Family and friends.

That Supergroup in the Sky just got one hell of a singer/songwriter/decent person to add to their line up

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Evidently the last song of the set was a Led Zeppelin cover of "In My Time of Dying" and that comes off pretty surreal.
    It was a snippet of "In My Time of Dying" during Slaves & Bulldozers, & is something they've done frequently when playing that song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It seems like there's never anyone good enough to take up the slack when these great rock stars die.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Pale in the flare light
    The scared light cracks and disappears
    And leads the scorched ones here
    And everywhere no one cares
    The fire is spreading
    And no one wants to speak about it
    Down in the hole
    Jesus tries to crack a smile
    Beneath another shovel load

Sucker punch to the gut, those lyrics. I've always loved that verse.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skullboy0 View Post
    It was a snippet of "In My Time of Dying" during Slaves & Bulldozers, & is something they've done frequently when playing that song.
    I like Soundgarden but they are no means my favorite band and I don't research setlists or shows extensively so didn't know that.

Regardless, quite eerie.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

what a great song.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Soundgarden

His family is disputing that he intentionally killed himself. That makes me feel a teeny tiny bit better. I woke up two hours early and couldn't get him out of my head. He always seemed so put together. I still can't comprehend him doing this to himself.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I can thank my father (Rest in peace pop) for introducing me to Tool, Silverchair, Soundgarden, Live, and all of those mid 90's grunge/alternative bands. This hits home hard, and I am still speechless. I was hoping to see Soundgarden live for the fist time .

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Some reports saying he may of taken too much of his anxiety medication and could of maid him have suicidal thoughts.

Goddamn.....that just makes it even more depressing

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    The thing is, it's not even a grunge album.

It's more pop and psychedelia than it is metal or grunge, which was made it such a watershed for its time. But because it was released in the grunge era, that's how it tends to get lumped in. If Nevermind was what introduced the world to grunge, then Superunknown is that one album from the middle of the 90s that literally stretched "alternative" to its breaking point. It took me years to unpack that record, and then they dropped the glorious mindfuck that is Down On The Upside.

But greatest grunge album ever? Not even in the same genre, by that point. It's a touching tribute to the man's legacy, but let's not get carried away here. Hell, STP's Purple is more of a grunge album than Superunknown is..
    "Grunge" was always such an ambiguous term. I mean, Tad and Alice In Chains are both labeled "grunge," but AIC has more in common with Van Halen than bands like Mudhoney and Green River. I agree that Superunknown isn't their most "grunge" sounding album, but the band's roots are from that scene, so close enough.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 05-19-2017 at 07:10 PM.